San Marcial Apartments

Stayed at San Marcial Apartments?

Share your opinion.

Good

Room: 7.5/10
Value: 8.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for San Marcial Apartments

« 1 2 3 4 »
The apartments are large, we had a 2...

"The apartments are large, we had a 2 bedroom and we enjoyed our holiday despite the arrival. Having left Gatwick at 6am add three hours for check-in, we arrived about 13.00 hours and were told along with about 7 other families that they were still cleaning the rooms.

We were tired hot and bothered and told that we would have to wait until 15.00 when the apartment would be ready. We waited at the snack bar. Not ready at 15.00, we were told still not ready and the disinterested receptionist said didn't know when would be ready and apparently this happened every early/midday changeover in high season.

At 17.00 I demanded to know which apartment we were allocated and went along to find the cleaner doing her best. I mopped the kitchen and lounge area while she finished off making up the beds. Asked for a teaspoon and mug each.

We had no cleaner during the week we were there, no change of sheets, although I think that was stated and one change of towels.

The apartments are in the quiet resort of Matagordo with enough restaurants for a week and our grandson loved the pool, we are not "lounger" types but they were full of towels by 8am and I hate that type of competitive thing.

In high season do need air-con at night-none available. If I ever returned I would make sure arrival was late afternoon.

by Anna Bell

Myself and my husband choose...

"Myself and my husband choose Matagorda because we were looking forward to a nice relaxing break. We choose very well, Matagorda is a perfect location, very clean, plenty of entertainment in the nearby Matagorda centre.

Our accommodation was clean and plenty of room with a lovely pool.

Our favourite bar was the sportsman bar, a lovely couple own the bar and show all live sports and have a family quiz 3 nights a week which is good fun.

There are lovely restaurants in the centre and plenty to choose from.

The beach is lovely and clean and there is a lovely promenade which is safe for walking or cycling.

We had a perfect holiday and will be booking to go back there again, I highly recommend Matagorda.

We did not feel the need to go to pto del Carmen at all as everything was in the centre, including Spar and another supermarket and also we had a supermarket in the complex where we stayed. The staff were very friendly.

by Penny Dogly

Just had a week staying at these...

"Just had a week staying at these apartments and believe me 1 week is enough. On our arrival we asked for extra pillow's, yes we did get them on the 6th night. Apart from that the apartments were very clean and tidy. Our Rep Toni was great very helpful and had time for everyone. Keep up the good work Toni.

The cafe at the apartments was very basic, but we don't go on holiday to lie about the cafe or pool so that's not for me to say anything about. The reception staff were rubbish they couldn't care less about you, all they seemed to worry about was that they looked good.

We wouldn't go back to these apartments but they are worth a visit if you're not fussy.

by I Scott

In 2004 myself and my husband got...

"In 2004 myself and my husband got engaged in the San Marcial and we returned in March this year on honeymoon.

I just love this place. It’s so clean and the staff are so friendly. I would recommend it to anyone of any age. The restaurant is just fantastic.

We ate in it every night both times we visited. Sissi and Miguel are the owners and actually remembered us from our first visit which we thought was lovely.

by C Keaskin.

nice place but unhelpful

"hi we stayed for a week and it was nice . Word of warning when we were there two ladies were attacked coming back to the complex at the back entrance at 10.30 at night two men came out of no where and tried to steal there handbag's as you can imagine this was very disturbing hotel were very unhelpful to these ladies and even the staff in the bar when it happened said that if it was outside the gate it was not there problem and there was no one in reception till morning to which they got the same response as the people in the bar gave them. We felt that this was not good enough this ladies were very Lucky that they were not seriously hurt and they managed to hold on to their bags but one lady was thrown to the ground and banged her head. In the end when we walked in to reception on our way out in the morning and found out what was going on we helped these ladies out and got them in contact with there rep and police we felt that the people in reception could have been a lot more helpful to these poor distressed ladies. We know no where is safe anymore but a little help goes a long way."

by macrompian

Winter break at San Marcial

"My Husband, Father and I stayed here for 1 week in November. You will probably notice from most of my posts that I don't really stay in apartments but we really just wanted a cheap break in the sun. This hotel is cheap and I suppose is ok for a 2 star. I found that the beds are crap and no sheets worth talking about so it was very cold at night (we had to sleep with our beach towels around us to keep warm). The "clean" towels did not smell very clean. Our room was only cleaned twice while we were there for 7 nights. Anyone with walking difficulties may stuggle here as there are a lot of steps within the complex. The restaurant serves nice enough food if you do not wish to go outside the complex.

Our week was dampened with extremely wet and cloudy weather and Lanzarote as an island is really not for me I found it quite tacky.

The best part was when you walk toward the Beach and along the promenade is quite nice in the evening. There are a few bars and eating places. The best restaurant we ate in was the Kinsale which I will highly recommend.

I am sure I would have enjoyed the holiday a bit more if the weather had been good, however I will never go cheap and cheerful again it does not work for me.

Just remember you do get what you pay for.

by jazz2

We arrived on Sunday Afternoon and...

"We arrived on Sunday Afternoon and reception was closed, we were told by the rep to get the keys from the Restaurant which we did without any hassle.

Our apartments were really good. We had a two bed which had loads of space for four people to move around without getting in each other’s way.

There are a lot of steps to the pool but they had ramps for wheelchair users.

The pool area was spotless, but the pool was freezing cold. Not heated.

The restaurant was really fantastic it had a great variety of foods on the menu. From Breakfast right through to dinner.

The restaurants and pubs in Matagorda were a five minute walk and again had a wide range of restaurants and bars.

Coming from Ireland I normally steer clear of Irish Bars but we went into one and had such a great time we went back every night the owners Dave and Maria put on a good meal and also good entertainment. The bar was called The Auld Triangle. Would recommend it for food. I cleared my plate the nights I ate in there.

Anyway overall the holiday was really enjoyable.

by L Thompson

a fab time good cocktails.

"the resort was relaxing we had the best time the food and the cocktails were oh my god lets just say couldn tell you who owned my feet or my husdands. the hotel was brill that were we got the food and drinks the people who own the hotel were the best enterment they danced with us all night long a word of advice use the bus its cheepand just as good as a taxi.

listen just go and go with the flow you will have a good time enjoy..

by pumpyme1

Quiet location

"My partner and I have recently returned from our stay in San Marcil apartments in Lanzarote. It is located in a quiet residential part of Matagorda but it is quite close to the Matagorda shopping centre. Bartie's Irish bar at the shopping centre is a nice spot for watching football and rugby matches but I didn't notice one Irish member of staff. The food is stodgey and comforting if you like that type of thing.

The San Marcil apartments are very close to the airport. I expected the noise to be an issue but it didn't bother us at all and it was nice to see the planes flying by so closely. The apartments were very clean and a wonderful size. The complex was very pretty and nicely decorated. We did however have to wait a long time for our room to be ready. The pool is very, very cold but looked well. The only food we had at complex was breakfast at the bar and it was gorgeous and well priced.There is a supermarket at the complex but make sure you are not in a hurry when you go there. Sometimes it takes ages to be served. Reception did not stay open as late as they claimed they would. The towels were not changed often enough in the room. The charge to use the pool table was far too expensive. Many items were available to rent such as jug kettles,fans, dvd players and dvds but they were not reasonably priced.

Our rep told us you could only attend Ranch Texas if you went with them because each tour company has a different night. This turned out to be completely false. We bought our tickets at the gate for both the day and night activities and it was a great fun experience.

by Eirereg

Had great holiday in Lanzarote. The...

"Had great holiday in Lanzarote. The San Marcial is very clean, comfortable and friendly. We ate at the complex restaurant almost every night as it was really good value and good choice. Family of four ate for about £18 every night. Would recommend getting it as a take away and buying drink from supermarket to have in apartment as same price as a couple of drinks from the bar.

Swimming pool fine, no problem with strange colour or swim wear changing colour!

Airport not an issue it is fascinating seeing how close the planes get to the hotel opposite. Wouldn't like to be staying in the corner room there!

Matagorda is VERY quiet and set a long way from other ameneties. After exploring the island we would go back but better in Playa Blanca for kids. Matagorda beach very rocky so couldn't let kids swim but they did enjoy rockpooling and caught huge shrimps, fish and a giant, pink sea slug thing!

Car hire essential unless you just want to stay by the pool. The cost of car hire for 4 days locally was the same as one excursion for 4 people with tour operator. Would recommend Timanfaya, Jameos Del Agu, Mirador El Rio and Cactus Garden. Even our 3 year old enjoyed it all! BEWARE road map of island is rubbish, you will get lost!

by  S Keys

We have just returned from a 2-week...

"We have just returned from a 2-week package holiday in the San Marcial Apartments booked online with JWT / First Choice. JWT gave the apartments a 2-star rating, which is about right for the amenities and service currently on offer. They have the potential to be 4-star, but are let down by skimping on the finer points.

The San Marcial apartments are located in the heart of Matagorda, the easternmost suburb of Puerto del Carmen, around a 10-15 minute coach ride from Arrecife airport and a 15-20 minute taxi ride from the centre of Puerto del Carmen (too far to walk). The complex consists of 15 whitewashed blocks of 4 apartments, two up, two down, laid out in an open, south-facing open rectangular arrangement, looking out to sea if it were not for the Beatriz Playa hotel blocking the view (the two are separated by a 1-acre open space of palm trees). The complex is arranged in terraces, with the apartment blocks in the topmost terrace, overlooking the bar/restaurant on the middle, and the pool on the lower. There is an overpriced on-site supermarket in a sub-level adjoining the pool run by one of the surliest shopkeepers you’ll ever come across!

Our first impressions were not good; despite an on-schedule arrival at lunchtime following a 5am check-in in Dublin, most of the apartments were still being cleaned, leaving most guests to wait around until between 3pm and 7pm before they could move into their apartments. Day 1 was a write-off; any benefit of the early flight was completely lost. And it was not an isolated incident; we watched the same thing happen with guests arriving the following week. There appeared to be insufficient housekeeping staff (about 4 in all) to cater for all 56 apartments in the complex in a timely manner.

When we eventually got to occupy our one-bedroom apartment, we were further unimpressed to immediately find long-standing water damage across the bedroom and bathroom ceilings. The paint was continuously flaking off the ceilings and upper walls throughout our stay and the musty smell in the bedroom was intense if the window was left closed for any length of time.

Housekeeping was cursory. The bathroom remained liberally splashed with sun cream from the previous occupant(s) and the shower tiles ran brown when we washed them down with a drop of bleach and water. The icebox in the fridge was frozen solid and required complete defrosting before we could fit anything into it. During our 2-week stay, towels were changed only twice and bed linen only once, not particularly hygienic in a sweaty peak season when temperatures sometimes reached 40°C or more.

That aside, the apartment was spacious and typically equipped with a 2-ring electric hob, an electric kettle and a microwave oven/grill, and a manually operated TV with just CNN, Sky News (in B&W only) and the local canarian TV channel. Basic utensils were a tad stingy and did not match the number of occupants; no teapot, toaster, brush or mop were provided - unless you were willing to hire them at reception. Contrary to other reviews, we found the metal sprung frame beds uncomfortable; either the sprung wooden slats or the plastic mattress cover groaned or squeaked with every turn.

The pool area consists of a freeform pool and kiddies pool. Sunbeds are limited and parasols even more so, and most were usually snapped up before dawn by returning late-night revellers. Despite signs warning that towels would be removed by ‘night security’, this was never enforced. In fact, the so-called ‘security’ turned a complete blind eye to the rowdier revellers, leaving it to guests themselves to confront any late-night racket-makers.

JWT’s description of Matagorda was of ‘a rapidly developing area with an ample selection of shops, bars, cafes and restaurants to choose from’. It is actually a neglected backwater of Puerto del Carmen, a purpose-built then forgotten tourist overflow consisting of nothing but apartment complexes and vacant lots surrounding a single, two-storey ‘Centro Commercial’. There are no other amenities apart from the dozen or so bars/restaurants, two mini-markets and four souvenir shops concentrated inside the open-air mall. The nearest alternatives are 800 metres away along the charming seafront promenade, in the modest commercial strip bordering the Jameos Playa complex. To be fair, all of the restaurants in the mall serve good food at low prices (typically €7-12 for a main course, about half the price of restaurants in downtown Puerto del Carmen). Our favourites were the Auld Triangle, Paradise Beach (try the rack of baby ribs or the meat platter cooked over the barbeque) and the Sirocco (their Steak Provençale is fantastic).

Should you need to top up with ready cash during your stay, there is no ATM in Matagorda itself; the nearest is the Banca March at the roundabout on the main road opposite the Jameos Playa (about a 15 minute brisk walk along the promenade).

Would we return to Matagorda and San Marcial? No. We usually go for quiet, family resorts, but Matagorda is positively lethargic with virtually no distractions except to watch planes land in nearby Arrecife airport. San Marcial has great potential, but needs a little investment and more aggressive management.

by T Cahill

Top place

"Just back from 2 weeks at the San Marcial and an excelant time was had by myself,partner and 2 boys. The apartments are really laid back and the bar is about the best i have come across, prices and food excellant. The rooms are comfy just a pity not air conditioned. If I had a complaint it would be there are not enough sunbeds at the pool and unless you are prepared to get up at 6am you have no chance.(please note there were no Germans!).That apart we will be going back next year if we can get in."

by colinruncorn