Mahdia Palace Hotel

Zone Touristique, Mahdia 5100, Tunisia

Good

Value: 7.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Mahdia Palace Hotel

Chef who let the hotel down

"Hi,

I stayed at the Mahdia palace around May/June-2009. This is a fantastic hotel with all the facilities you want but when it come to food, I can say it is a total let down by the chef and hotel management. They have varieties but I do not know who is the targetted customers? Thank god I did not get food poisoning. I was went on a excursion and stayed on a 4 star hotel(Sahara Douz) there food is magnificient compare to this 5 star hotel. If you can eat out and stay here you may enjoy your holiday. I went with Thomas Cook and I do not know why they sending British people here?

Thank you.

• Holiday details: May 2009, Half Board, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Go There, but try to eat somewhere else
  • Activities: Sahara Explorer
by Bedwinboss

Mahdia Palace Hotel

"We stayed at the Mahdia Palace for one week on a half board basis and luckily were amongst the few who did not experience upset stomachs. The food is appalling and not surprising, as when we complained to the restuarant Manager who in turn involved the head Chef they had absolutely no idea that in a restaurant full of flies that food that was barely warm would attract high levels of bacteria this coupled with re-frozen ice cream appeared to us to be a outbreak of food poisoning waiting to happen, really a chef who has no idea about food hygiene!!!

The rooms were damp and very smelly with each having its fair share of resident flies, which without exception attracted complaints from all nationalities, but to no avail, this seems perfectly acceptable to the staff as no attempts were made to correct the situation.A tip if you do go to this hotel, do as the Germans do, pretend you do not understand any language and do as you please, Tarek the manager is helpless and concedes on every point.First and last time in Tunisia for us due to this experience, i am sure a there are better hotels, well really there has to be??

by Trueview

Awful Hotel

"Went to this hotel last summer, worst holiday i have ever been on would not recommend. The food was awful, the staff was rude and hardly spoke English, and there was very little to do. Not a good selection of alcohol, do not order wine!! Waiters expected tips for their poor service. often got harassed by men on the beach and there was a camera man by the entrance to the restaurant harassing you every night for pictures. Breakfast was ok, offering the usual pastries, cereal, small selection of fruit, French bread and pancakes which in fact were nice. I would only recommend Tunisia if all you want from a holiday is to sunbath as you cant fault the weather although I would suggest you try a different hotel as this hotel was of a very poor standard. Along the beach were a few cafes and if you walk quite a bit down there was a nice one which served baguettes. There was nothing to do around the area so you were trapped in the hotel"

by Summer16

Great for relaxation

"I have just returned from a 2 week holiday in the resort of Mahdia in Tunisia. Me and my mum booked this as a last minute holiday staying on a half board basis (breakfast and evening meal).

This resort is best for older people and those wanting to relax. The resort is very isolated,so you would be expected to stay in the hotel for the majority of your stay. There are a few shops 100yards away and a local market in the town which is a short taxi ride away. The locals say that the resort of Mahdia is said to have the best beach in the whole of Tunisia. The resorts of Monastir and Sousse are for the English tourists while Mahdia has mainly French, German and Russian holiday makers, although the English are very welcome.

The hotel exceeded my expectations. The food and daily entertainment was brilliant. The hotel has daily activities starting at 10am including aerobics,dance,volleyball,table tennis,water aerobics and gymnastics and then an evening show at 9.45pm. The staff and entertainers are ever so friendly with the English as they don't get many British visitors.

I do strongly recommend booking a sea / pool view and balcony as i did. Some other couples were very disappointed with their room as they were looking at a brick wall.

Overall i would recommend this hotel and resort for those wishing to relax and take it easy. Families with children would be better off staying in Monastir or Sousse where the hotels have kids clubs.

Great country, hotel, people and weather. Couldn't have asked for anything more. BRILLIANT!

by LadyK_86

The best meal we had was a Burger King at the airport

"We had studied other reviews of this hotel & weren't expecting fantastic service & we certainly didn't get it.

On arrival we were met by the duty manger demanding (in the little English he spoke) our orange booking slips, after a brief argument we made him understand that we were not part of the Italian party just arrived & were handed over to the charm school rejects masquearading as the receptionists.

I could be here all day so I'll break this down to categories:

Public areas - Very good

Rooms - good

Service - pitiful

Food - terrible

Location - good

Facilities - good

Cleanliness - excellent.

To summarise this is a very nice hotel with an awful restaurant, the restaurant does not have air con so they leave the windows open which the flies appreciate enormously.

We never did mange to get a table fully laid, we were chased out of the restaurant one night by a waiter shouting that we hadn't paid for a bottle of water when we couldn't get a bill or persuade anyone to take the money.

The waiters expect the guests to move out of their way & if you don't they either push their way by or walk into you.

The food seems to have undergone some process whereby all flavour is removed.

Oh & best not to go with Airtours, they have a rep who needs prompting to remember her own name & sent us a note telling us we were being picked up for our airport transfer at 10.55, sadly she meant 16.45.

by CMCLeicester

We were sold this hotel on a child...

"We were sold this hotel on a child free hotel. When we got there, it was full of kids and families.

We arrived at the hotel at 1.30am and were placed in room 3115 situated in the -damp- basement and next to the disco. The view of the room was a wall, it stank, the mattress was very old and the bed very uncomfortable. I went back to the reception asking to be in another room. We were moved the following day.

The next day we had a room with view over a golf course with mowers being used every 2 days first thing in the morning.

The food was very poor, consisting mainly in stews (it was 43 degrees Celsius in the shade).

The reception is very unhelpful, the Concierge sign exists, but no one is willing to help.

The water is priced 5 times the same bottle from the local shop and reception kept any water we brought in.

There is a complaint book which is well hidden and the hotel will not give without any complaining.

This hotel has only got 5 stars by name because a local Ibis on the M25 treats their customers better.

Never again!

by M Levoy

An excellent hotel with friendly and...

"An excellent hotel with friendly and helpful staff. The 4 bed rooms are really 4 bed rooms - not a double with bunk beds!!!

The local Thomas Cook rep - Jamel, is excellent and always on hand without being 'in your face'.

Be prepared to be the only transfer from the airport, as most of the hotel guests are Italian, German, French, Czech and Polish...... which I found a bonus as I didn't get wound up by other Brits moaning about the lack of hamburgers, English pubs etc... and also meant that the hotel staff liked practising their English on you.

Be prepared to haggle in the markets and medina - go for 30 - 50% of what is quoted.

Try to make the 2 day Sahara Explorer excursion which is excellent value at about 60 GBP per head, the other excursions are what you would expect !!!

Tipping is a must, it guaranteed my family a terrace table each night in the hotel restaurant and quick service at the pool bar.

Taxis are excellent and cheap, but reminded my son of the Simpson's Hit & Run PC game..... get one and you'll see what I mean. Also if you want a taxi during the busy market periods stick together as the drivers are more likely to pick up groups of 4.

I was offered 10,000 camels for my daughter and my wife was called the Mother of Princess, however it was all done tongue in cheek and all added to the holiday adventure.

The food was excellent, the only time I felt the hotel was too busy was during the morning buffet breakfast. The evening meal although a buffet tended to be more relaxed. The menu was varied with an excellent sweet selection- the dates and watermelons are a must.

Drinks are the same price whether purchased at the pool bar, the restaurant, other bars and even the mini bar in the room.

Beach towels are also provided, and even though loads of Germans I still managed to get 4 loungers each day!

Beach was clean and sea very warm.

An all round excellent holiday, and from what I saw of the other hotels, this one along with the Nour Palace which was next door but one, are two of the best in all of the resorts.

by P Collins

nice but not as good as its rating suggests

"Stayed there for our first wedding anniversary and was expecting a good 4/5* hotel. It isn't, the resteraunt is OK but you have to be picky, theres a lovely A la Carte resteraunt but thats at an additional cost if your half board.

The staff are not as multilingual (Engish) as you'd expect or hope and they will not go out of their way to help a guest. I quite often got the feeling I was an inconvenience to the Receptionists rather than a paying guest.

The entertainment staff can seem a bit forward and irritating but they are lovely and a polite 'no thanks' If you don't fancy joining in will suffice.

The pool is lovely although there is little breeze and temperatures can become overpowering.

The one saving grace for this hotel is it is ON the beach, you couldn't be closer, its lovely, the sea is warmer than the pool and crystal clear.

I would go to the quiet area of Mahdia again, but certainly not this hotel. And never ever, ever again with MYTravel.

by jen_e_chambers

Lovely hotel, shame about the restaurant

"The Mahdia Palace is a lovey 5 Star hotel. I loved the impressive wooden staircase and domed ceiling, but hated the restaurant!

As a single traveller I was very content at this hotel. The pool area is lovely and spacious, the pool being lovely and big and as I'm not a fan of children, I found there was plenty of space both in and around the pool to avoid them!! I travelled with Airtours who do not take bookings for children at this hotel, but unfortunately other foreign tour operators do. I have to say that the Brits were in the minority at this hotel, being popular with the French, German and Russians. Therefore I found that sometimes the staff's English was a bit rusty and so couldn't communicate with you very well.

My room was very spacious. Quite often I've had a broom cupboard for a room, but I could've had a party in this one!! The only downside was the bed being a bit uncomfortable for my liking. The hotel was very clean though, although I have to say for some reason I didn't have my room cleaned or bed made up on my first day. This was soon rectified after a word with Barrie the rep.

The restaurant ..... well what can I say .... busy, noisy, hot. The food was okay, sometimes quite nice but I found that at breakfast the "hot" stuff was not hot, probably been there for 2 hours. Best to have the made to order eggs or omelettes. Lots of choice of croissants and cereals, etc so a wide choice and something for everyone. The evening meal was okay. I would suggest leaving it until about 8 pm to go as it is marginally quieter then, but not a lot!! Choice of two soups, always a choice of pasta for main course plus chicken/fish/steak, that type of thing and lots of lovely cakes for pudding.

The bar on the same level as the reception was very comfortable but the service quite poor on occasions. Sometimes you could ask for drinks but you'd never get them - and then they'd expect a tip!! There was a man playing a little electric piano thing and attempting to sing - bit naff but okay!

I would suggest you pay for things as you go and not run up a bill to pay at the end of your holiday as goodness knows what it would come to by the end of your stay! The bar staff seemed to have problems keeping a check of what you'd had for one night!

Keep an eye on your belongings around the pool as one lovely couple I met from Bristol (hi Andy & Anna) had their bag pinched, which was found later but obviously money, etc had gone. I had a bit of a spooky experience myself in that, I think on the same day, I was sunning myself to find a man sitting practically on top of me on the next sunbed looking at me - or was it my bag!!! - saying hello when I saw him. I ignored him and when I looked again he had gone. Very strange but a bit unnerving so just be wary of who is around you.

At the end of my week I could've quite happily stayed for another, so despite all my little niggles, I would say give it a go if you want a lazy relaxing holiday in lovely, easy going hotel where you're not hassled by the staff. I went on 8 October for a week and I have to say that the hotel was still busy, so I would hate to think what it would be like in the summer months ... too busy for me that's for sure. You didn't have to fight for sunbeds but of course certain nationalities had already put their towels out probably before breakfast!!

Thanks to Jackie & Steve, Clive & Lady-Bettina and Andy & Anna for your company, just some of the few Brits at the hotel. It was lovely to meet you all.

If you're thinking of trying the Mahdia Palace and have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me.

by windymiller