Barcelo Jandia Playa Hotel

Stayed at Barcelo Jandia Playa Hotel?

Share your opinion and write a review

Good

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Barcelo Jandia Playa Hotel

Enter your dates:

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
I have travelled to Fuerteventura... by DJ City

I have travelled to Fuerteventura with my friend Stacey over the past 3 years and stayed in resorts such as Costa Caleta and Corrjelo. Saving up to go to Jandia was without doubt the best decision we ever made.

Barcelo Jandia Mar was a beautiful hotel, way beyond our expectations as we had read somewhat poor reviews before we went. The pools were out of this world and I recommend the Spa if you get a chance. Yes the food can be repetitive but it was always delicious and we were there to have an amazing holiday, not stuff our faces all day long!

I recommend exploring as much as possible, its tempting to stay in the hotel but go for the White sand beaches. We would leave for the beach at 9:30am and not come back till dinner time some days.

The rooms were lovely, spacious, clean and lovely bathroom. Only drawback I saw was the our room was a few metres from the children's playground and as it was a holiday, children were there until quite late sometimes.

This island looks more enchanting every year we go. I recommend going to the Oasis nature park, I was dubious as nature isn't usually my thing but the views from the Birds of Prey show is out of this world and the camel ride is a day to remember. We are saving to go back to Jandia in February again in 2008 and would recommend this to anyone, from families, to couples and just friends going away like we are.

Stayed here for 11nights and wish we... by Charles Milligan

Stayed here for 11nights and wish we could have stayed a further eleven. Reception area by day seems a bit gloomy, better lit up at night. Food excellent although dining room became slightly chaotic at peak periods. Friendly staff throughout the complex.

Downside is the walking distance to the glorious beach but as we had a hired car it did not become a problem. Our room was spotless and was serviced daily.

Towels were always spread out on deck chairs early each morning but manager always went around removing them if unoccupied.

Quite amusing to watch this performance the first week when hotel was full.

A very clean and well presented... by L Hopwood

A very clean and well presented hotel, with friendly staff where nothing seemed too much trouble.

The daytime entertainment was plentiful for those who want to join in, all just a bit of fun.

Plenty of choice with the food without having to queue for more than one minute, some fresh cooked items available daily, as opposed to just all food buffet style.

Rooms had all mod cons including the best shower ever! The place was bigger than we thought with 4 different pools to choose from.

DOWN SIDE: Pools were a little cold to start with, showers by the pools were all COLD.

Some floor tiles around pools needed attention a little dangerous for youngsters.

Evening entertainment a bit hit and miss, some shows somewhat amateurish and some shows not to be missed.

Not many English mainly Spanish, Swedish, & loads of Germans!

A very enjoyable holiday overall, would go back.

Brilliant!!!! Myself (26) and other... by M W

Brilliant!!!! Myself (26) and other half (23) both had a fabulous time at the Barcel Jandia Mar.

The room was so clean, and well kept. The TV is mostly German (not sure why when it's a Spanish country!)

Pools, so clean, spacious, cool enough to be refreshing but not freezing!

Food, lots of it! a wide choice, can be repetitive but only if you make a pig of yourself and eat a bit of everything every day!! Breakfast was my favourite!

Entertainment, they work very hard and are very talented. The Gymnasts were amazing...the beegee's we extremely good, and we really enjoyed the singers that sing by the pool or in the lobby.

Hotel in general, the staff were friendly, it's at the top of a steep hill but it's not that bad. lovely building, nice seating areas, pools, lots of sun loungers - never a problem to get one at any time of the day and the restaurant is big and tables are always available....no queuing at all. It's self service for drinks so this was good!

We went to the shopping centre which was interesting!!! Not what I would call a shopping centre but the walk back to the hotel was nice, and there were some nice shops on the way back.

Overall a brilliant holiday and a lovely hotel. Don't listen the bad reports...We didn't experience anything bad!!

We took my parents on their first... by Jordan

We took my parents on their first trip abroad to this hotel and some of the reviews had me a little worried, however on arrival we were not disappointed.

The complex was fantastic. Bit of a walk to the beach (A killer getting back to the hotel as it's up hill) but you can get the free bus if you need too.

Food was excellent, plenty to choose from and always varied. Anyone who has a need to complain must be a very fussy eater. Entertainment was OK.

Overall we had a brilliant time and it was a good experience for my Mum and Dad as they want to go back! I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone!

We arrived at this hotel to poor, in... by  C HOLLAND

We arrived at this hotel to poor, in fact rude service with glass littering the footpath to our room. We asked for the glass to be cleaned up and it was still there when we left to relocate to another hotel the next morning.

Upon arrival at the lounge for our evening meal, it was more like a cattle market or motorway service station cafe. Again, we encountered unhelpful staff who watch you struggle to find clean cutlery and locate highchairs for your children to use.

The food that was available looked edible, although very basic, however when we selected our small choice, we found the chicken to taste off and obviously inedible.

I knew that we weren't going mad when we spoke to a group of English tourists who had actually been there for 6 nights and in that time had had such a poor experience that they had all written letters to their tour operator (SAGA) to get the hotel off the brochure and formed what could only be an alliance to get through the week.

We were prepared to fly home; however Thomas Cook were able to relocate us to the Faro Jandia. Another 4* hotel - but an absolute world apart.

If anyone is thinking of going to the... by Payling

If anyone is thinking of going to the Barcelo Jandia Playa, I would strongly advise you to go!

The food is great; the staff are great it’s just great! The rooms are immaculately clean.

Although the dates we were at the hotel it was the Spanish holidays so there was a lot of Spanish, but we spoke to a couple that had been there 5 times and never known the hotel have this many Spanish people in!!

I wouldn't suggest going to this hotel if you have walking difficulties It would be ok to go if you didn’t want to go out of the hotel, but you have to walk 72 steps down to get onto the main road, then you have to walk under a underground tunnel and walk abit further to get onto the beach, and you also have to do the same back up!

All in all the hotel is great. There’s a great waiter in the downstairs bar called Abdul! Oh and his colleague Anna! Best people in the hotel.

I find this site very useful when... by A Non

I find this site very useful when booking holidays recently so I'll add a review of my own.

Firstly, it seems some of the guest that have been recently have stayed in a different hotel to the one myself and partner did.

The overall impression of the hotel was good. The Hotel is well laid out with a great pool area. The rooms are spacious and clean, just as you'd expect with a 4 star hotel. The hill is steep, but the brochure doesn't hide that and it was expected.

The resort it nice, although a little German orientated and the beaches were fantastic (Apart when I accidently strolled into the nudist area full of old (old) people).

Praise over. We stayed there for 10 days, 10 days without air conditioning in the room and it was most certainly needed. We complained every day we were there to both reception initially, then the rep.

The hotel never got back to us with a solution. All they told us was they would send an engineer. We never saw one; the air con was never fixed. When travelling abroad air-con is a priority for me and had I known the system in the hotel didn't work, we'd never have booked the hotel.

That also brought to our attention how rude and unhelpful the reception staff were. Both these problems were something that seem to be shared by most guests we spoke to.

The food: Well again for a 4 star hotel I was very disappointed. The food consisted of, veal, pork, chicken or hake. Every day. They also had some pasta but that was pretty awful too.

There was no care taken with most of the cooked food, it was just whacked on a grill, then whacked on a serving dish. For an Atlantic island, I was very disappointed there wasn't more fish on offer.

Overall this could have been a great hotel, but it wasn't. It was more a poor 3 star hotel due to the lack of effort, maintenance, and customer care that went in. I will not be going back, nor will I go to any other Barcelo hotel.

On the plus side, my dealings with Thomas Cook have been very pleasant and look forward to travelling with them again. (after a very very poor experience with those cost cutters at Thomson). I am however going to requesting some sort of a refund due to the lack of air-con.

Absolutely fantastic and have booked... by R T Rob

Absolutely fantastic and have booked to go there again in November. I would say to you "Ignore all of the bad reviews that you have heard and see for yourself"

The staff were very friendly at arrival and even helped to change pre-booked room so that the family could stay close to each other, even though separate bookings were made. The rooms were spotless and very comfortable. The only downside was the limited TV channels available, but if you wanted to sit and watch TV in your room, then you should have stayed at home.

Then comes the food... WOW!! The food was amazing and there was more than a fair share of variety. Yes, some of the pasta dishes were bland, but when you have so much choice what does it matter? The cooked meat was very tasty (including the barbeque food that was laid on one evening) and the salad was fresh and tasty too!!

We went all inclusive and it was totally worth it. The amount of hotels that I have stayed in where the local alcohol tastes terrible and the cocktails taste of water, THIS WAS NOT THE CASE.... The alcohol was excellent. I had my fair share of beer, cocktails and spirits and they were as good as the brand names back at home.

You may hear reviews about the hotel being on a steep hill, and yes this is true, but read further. For a start it does not take much effort to walk down a hill to get to the fantastic beach at the bottom and shops five minutes further along the beach, but you can easily pick up a taxi for a couple of euros to take you back up. Personally I liked walking up the hill to burn off the excessive amounts of enjoyable food and alcohol that I had been treated to at the hotel.

The pool was clean and appealing. It was not warm, but after you jump in, you soon become acclimatised. This is the only reason that I have not given the hotel a 10 out of 10, but is very minor.

In summary... I give it a full thumbs up!! I enjoyed it the first time and hated to leave and am sure that I will enjoy it again in November!!

We have just spent a wonderful week... by T Bond

We have just spent a wonderful week during half-term at the Barcelo Jandia Mar and we were tempted to give it 10/10, although on one occasion the maid forgot to make up our room but this was addressed as soon as I complained.

We did find that the walls of the rooms were not terribly well sound proofed and even normal volume talking from neighbours was discernible.

The rooms were large and comfortable, very clean and tidy with good quality soap, shampoo and shower gel and a usable hair dryer.

The room included a fridge, TV, table and easy chairs, safe, large wardrobes and large twin beds.

The hotel grounds were extensive and very clean with well kept gardens, children’s' play area, children’s' pool area, mini golf, table tennis, snooker and football games table.

Several members of the entertainment team organised archery, darts, pistol shooting, pool games etc, throughout the day. Young children were entertained by another member of the team to give the parents a rest.

The restaurant team were well organised, the food was of an excellent quality and varied each day. The bars were well manned with a wide selection of drinks from soft drinks, spirits and coffee and tea throughout the day.

The reception staff were not very welcoming or efficient and not at all helpful nor concerned when my wife hurt her foot, although other staff members, especially in the restaurant, were very concerned and provided first aid, advice and medication and arranged a reserved table each day to avoid her walking too far.

Apart from reception, the rest of the hotel staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

The walk to the beach and shops involved a walk down hill but the hotel provided a free hourly bus service which avoided the uphill return walk.

There are plenty of shops and bars to visit and the beaches were clean and golden sands attracted sun bathers. The only problem for us was the nudists but even this was 'bearable'.

We went on the Gran Island tour, which was very interesting although I was somewhat disappointed with the Subcat submarine trip, although I was not sorry that I experienced this underwater spectacle.

We would certainly recommend this hotel, especially at this time of the year and it lived up to its 4 star rating and we would certainly return to this hotel and this resort.

This was a wedding present paid for... by  T  Loughhead

This was a wedding present paid for by my mum and sister and was to be our honeymoon following our marriage. The holiday was for 7 days.

We booked with First Choice, though flew with Thomas Cook for some reason. The flight arrived in Fuerteventura and the weather was absolutely superb. We were then conveyed to our hotel by coach, which was packed with fellow holidaymakers on leaving the airport, however, after about four of five stops there were only us and two other couples left to travel to Jandia.

Even the Travel Rep had ditched us and got of at one of the earlier stops, advising that we would meet our own travel rep the following morning.

By this point we were all left wondering as to what resort we were going to. My husband and I were the last two to be dropped off, but the view of the front of the hotel was lovely. The transfer was approx 1hour 15mins and the journey was pleasant enough.

We entered the hotel and found ourselves in a long queue behind numerous holidaymakers from Saga holidays which didn't move anywhere fast. We seemed to queue forever and when we did speak to a member of staff at reception, we were given a card to fill in with our details and then we had to rejoin the queue again. After approx 30 mins we purchased a safe for 14 euros and got our room key. Most staff spoke good English, unfortunately, not the one we got, though he got by ok.

On entering the room we found it to be extremely spacious and very clean. The only down point was that our beds were two 3/4 beds pushed together (bearing in mind this was our honeymoon and the tour company had been made aware of this) so this was quite disappointing to say the least. The rooms had air-con, TV, DVD and music system. We did make the tour rep aware of this the following morning, though he didn't seem keen to have a word with reception for us, so we just left it.

We went and explored the hotel on our arrival and found it to have various accommodation blocks and several pools. All areas were in a good state of repair and very clean. We found the snack bar where we proceeded to have a snack and copious amounts of alcohol, which we both found were most certainly not watered down.

Meal times were hectic and we found that the hotel was dominated by German's, which the brochure had explained. There as a good choice of food on each and every day at every meal time and plenty of it. Staff were very pleasant and courteous at all times.

The beach is about a 15 minute walk, depending on which part you walk to and we found it to be lovely. It wasn't too steep a walk but there were several sets of stairs to descend initially.

The shops are about a 20 minute walk but majority of them sell the same thing. We tried to purchase a digital camera . . . . Never again, wouldn't trust any of the salesmen there at all!!

The weather was between 28-32C each day with a light breeze which was fantastic. The resort is very quiet and not for the partygoer at all, though the resort is still in the process of being built up.

On speaking with a few couples who went to the Barcelo Jandia Mar, it would appear that we certainly had the more superior hotel.

We would definitely go back to Barcelo Jandia Playa and to the resort itself, though would probably hire a car to do a bit more exploring as you really are quite limited.

We stayed at this hotel for a week... by  S W Hayward

We stayed at this hotel for a week for our honeymoon and we can't understand the many bad reviews. We intended to have a relaxing all inclusive holiday which is exactly what it provides.

The Beach is fantastic, and yes it is about a 10 minute walk or so downhill but its fine and it does state in the brochure that it is on a steep hill overlooking the sea so I can't understand why people complained - if you’re able bodied and not totally lazy it’s no problem!

The food was I would say good - not great but good, there is a wide variety and we always found something we liked to eat. We did have to queue sometimes for a table but we found this only took 5 minutes and you could see the staff worked their backsides off so we didn't really mind - maybe we are just more easy-going than others??

The entertainment team and staff were very friendly and despite a bit of work needed to repair some broken tiles around the pool, we had no problem will general cleanliness. There are plenty of shops if you walk into town about 15/20 minutes away or taxis are cheap.

Fuerteventura is for those looking for a relaxing beach holiday and we had a great time anyway and would consider going back.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Stayed at Barcelo Jandia Playa Hotel? Share your insight.

Map for Barcelo Jandia Playa Hotel Closest airport: Fuerteventura (FUE) 40.7 miles