ClubHotel Riu Tropicana

Cala Domingos, Majorca 07689, Spain

Stayed at ClubHotel Riu Tropicana?

Share your opinion and write a review

Good

Enter your dates to find the best prices for ClubHotel Riu Tropicana

Enter your dates:

« 1 2 3 »
Great Hotel , !!!!!! Thomson were rubbish by Thewelshlot

My husband , myself and our 11year old daughter stayed for a week at the Riu Tropicana , The Hotel is 99% europian , we were only one of 3 british families which wasn't such a bad thing !!! , The food was lovely and the staff Amazing !!! the rooms were all little chalet type bungalows , but be careful , Health and Safety does not exsist in Majorca , when it rained the steps all over the complex became really slippy and my Daughter fell down the flight from our room , The hotel is very isolated , and the only way to the nearest town was over rocks and another beach !!!!! however the hotel and staff were great , Dont however depend on Thomson for anything our rep eventually turned up three days before we went home !!! plus she was pretty useless , we eventually booked all our trips via the hotel , which was much cheaper , also the kids club only suitable for 5-7 year olds and the hobby club was never open

Booked this holiday as a treat for... by  M Johnson

Booked this holiday as a treat for daughter and grandson. Good flight good transfer, welcoming staff, reasonable room near all amenities. Nice bars good range of drinks, beautiful beach and lovely sea, suitable for a young child. Then it was meal time! I have stayed in many hotels, usually 4/5 star on an all inclusive basis. But have never been served such a dismal, unappetizing, meager selection of food. I cannot begin to explain how awful it all was.

The indifference with which it was presented and the small amounts on the trays, apart from the lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber, that is, oh and not to forget the copious amounts of pickled gherkin, onions and other strange pickles. I am very fond of continental food and generally try anything, usually to my enjoyment, but not this. There was nothing to enjoy. Whilst I accept this was a 3*hotel and seemingly full of Germans who may have not minded. also the fact it was end of season, (it closes on 1st.Nov.) may have had some bearing on it.

But I was not on a cheapie, last minute get what you can holiday, I paid good money and was looking forward to it after a very stressful few weeks. Also having stayed in a RIU hotel before this was not what I expected. Sorry but I am still so horrified with the memory of it. I returned home 26th Oct, feeling bad about those who had to stay.

This hotel is beautiful. The beach is... by A Blake

This hotel is beautiful. The beach is so warm and so close to the hotel, the hotel is basically on the beach. The pool is lovely and so refreshing.

The entertainment staff are so humorous and get everyone involved, especially Pascal. There are a lot of things to do there. In a different comment it said 'it’s aimed towards the Germans', it is not! The food is delicious and the waiters and barmen couldn't do enough.

I definitely give it 9/10.

Fantastic by chuck100

Have just returned from Riu Tropicana and I must say what impressed me the most was the staff. From the restaurant to the reception staff they were the most friendliest I have ever met. Raymond the Hotel Director was very accommodating and would always ask us every day if everything was ok. Merche and Pedro made us laugh at mealtimes with their constant jokes. The food was excellent and the beach was gorgeous, we spent everyday there. I would always recommend the Riu group of hotels for the food, locations and the friendliest of the staff. Can't wait to go again.

A good 3-star hotel by AGJ

My wife and myself along with sister and brother-in-law have just returned from 11 days at the Riu Tropicana.

The majority of guests were German or French. This is the second time we have stayed at a predominantly German hotel which is a vast improvement on staying at a predominatly British hotel (sorry but it's a fact).

The accommodation, in chalet blocks, was good and very clean (no tea making facility). Towels were changed every day if required.

The food was good with a good variety of main courses, breakfast more geared to continental europeans though.

As for the entertainment, this was the best we have ever encountered, in any class of hotel (we usually stay 4-star),their version of Grease was terrific. The entertainment team worked very very hard, day and night.

The staff were friendly especially the bar staff who were nearly all mad.

The hotel overlooks a nice bay although it's location is a little isolated. The beach is a public beach therefore you have to pay for sun beds etc and there is a lot of sea weed which is a little off puting.

As it is a all inclusive hotel it would have been nice if they had provided a bottle of drinking water, each day, together with a free beach towel facility (you need your own beach towels).

You may be located in a chalet some way away from the main complex and although a mini bus runs approx every 15 minutes this could colour your opinion of the hotel.

They do need to address the awful sewage smell you have to encounter on your way to the restaurant and bar.

In saying that all-in-all it was an enjoyable holiday, although if there was bad weather there would not be too much to do (same every where ?).

ok by scotton

we were a bit disappointed with this hotel ,firstly there was no thomson rep in the hotel at all if we had any problems we were given a 24 hour helpline number but it was a call that had to be payed for ,In the thomson book it stated the nearby resort was 15 minutes walk by road or you could walk over the rocks,but really the walk by road would have been at least 40 minutes as it took the taxi 15 minutes along unlit roads,The food in the hotel was good if you don,t mind trying different foods but you had a teenager with you there was not much choice ,The hotel had there own entertainment team who did all the shows them selves which were fantastic,After the shows there was a disco and not much english music was played.In the two weeks we were there i would say there was only about a dozen english familys,

sprawling complex ! weird ambiance ! by Spaniards

All in all we enjoyed our stay here but feel we must warn others of a couple of pitfalls encountered whilst staying at this quite remote resort.

The complex is spread over quite a large area hence the need for a minibus which is at times cramped if not full. Be prepared to walk to your accommodation as it can be much quicker than waiting for it to do the complete circuit ! We booked in as a couple and I can almost guarantee that you will be given rooms on the extremities of the site or at high altitude (this is a killer walk in the spanish heat). We did ask reception to move us to a lower numbered room but they were not very helpful explaining that the lower numbered rooms were for families not couples. This is not true as we saw many low no. rooms being occupied by couples. Would recommend asking for a room numbered 100 or below to anybody wishing to stay here.

This is very much a non-English hotel. In our 1st week we counted 6 other Brits (some may think it a blessing!) But as a result the entertainment seemed to be more geared up for the German tourists.

Beach great, lovely cove area. Access to shops was over a very rocky dangerous pathway, be back by dark as it is unllit. To get to shops follow path uphill past Hotel America, quite a good selection.

Staff friendly, food & drink good, spacious clean rooms. Seemed a long journey to & from airport. Pool guy & bar staff v. friendly.

Would definitely go again if we could be guaranteed a low numbered room !

Prison camp! by geordiek

I have just returned from club tropicana and have to say it was appaulling. Site so sprawling you may need to allow 20 mins to walk to reception/restaurant/bars - when you arrive you are greeted by the most awful stench at bottom of stairs to restaurant. You can take mini bus but be prepared to be squashed on with up to 14 when the mamimum capacity stated is 9. Many bedrooms infested with ants (ours was 3 days in a row).

Totally isolated from main resort - 2km by road but no public transport, or you can cross over rocks and 80 steps in total each way - impossible at night therefore confined to barracks.

Very strange atmosphere.

Hope no one is veggie - one night vegetarian options were mashed potatoe and chopped up aubergine!

However, must point out reception staff on desk very pleasant and friendly - no criticism of them.

that wasnt my cup of tea by TropicanaRIU

The hotel facilities are ok I guess. The guests were not my kind of people - the was a very strange atmosphere... the food... well all inclusive guess for your self. Not nice nor spanish.

I wouldnt recommend it to anyone.

Rgds

Fred

Loved it all, great hotel, fab staff, lovely food, couldnt fault it! by francescula

Felt I had to leave a message as we returned from above hotel yesterday and we had an amazing family holiday. The Riu staff are outstanding, our children (9 in the party) went to kids club every morning where they had a great time with truly lovely staff, the kids really miss them! The food was delicious, varied and very tasty, and loads of it! Our bungalow was spacious and cleaned beautifully every day, the pool was clean with lots of sun loungers and the beach with its clear blue seas was where we spent most of our time. Shop on site had good stuff. We had a few dull days and spent some time taking part in the entertainment but you dont have to.

I read another posting on this site before we went and was worried but I cant agree with any of his points. Remote it is, but you can walk to the parade of shops and bars within 15 minutes (up and down rocks!). We loved it and hated coming home!

Very poor by JohnT99

Sorry but I cant agree with the previous poster.

We went to this hotel complex based on the review here and after staying at the Riu Esmerelda in Cale D'or a few years ago which was superb.

I suppose this hotel is fine and it may just be we caught it at a bad time? My reasons for not rating it are mainly because of its setting and its guests at the time.

When we arrived we realised that you are really in the middle of nowhere. There are no local bars that you can easily stroll to. So in reality you are probably going to spend you time "in Camp" so to speak. Thats what it felt like. From the hoards checking in and out at reception to the tagging procedure. (everyone including my kids were tagged for the all inclusive element of the holiday. You cannot get these off till you leave. The beach is rather uninspiring too.

i love getting away from the British hoards but would have welcomed them with open arms. We had busloads of Eastern European tourists intent on making the most of the all inclusive part of their holiday, hence mealtimes became a scrum. The hotel did not seem to cope with these demands of many plates,food everywhere and the constant demand for drinks.

The final straw was a visit to the public toilets. Again no fault of the staff because you just could not cope with the mess being made. I decided to leave with the relief of my family ringing in my ears!!

All credit to the Manager.He was top class. He understood our posistion and insisted we pay nothing. Not even a lost deposit.

I feel that if you are in Majorca there are much nicer places to stay. Pollensa and Cala D'or for instance

Very impressed by Paul_and_Kathy

My wife and I went here last September, I have only just discovered tripadvisor or I would have done this sooner. I just want to say 3 words. Best Holiday Ever. If this is supposed to be 3 star, I cant wait to go to a 4 or 5 star. Everything was done in a freindly organsied and efficient way. Food excellent, entertainment excellent surroundings excellent I could not find fault even if I wanted to.

« 1 2 3 »
Stayed at ClubHotel Riu Tropicana? Share your insight.

Map for ClubHotel Riu Tropicana Closest airport: Palma de Mallorca (PMI) 30 miles