Marina Studios & Apartments

Corfu, Greece
hotel photo

We visited Agios Gordios in August...

"We visited Agios Gordios in August 2008 for 1 week. The accommodation was spacious, well equiped and spotless and one of the nicest apartments we have stayed in while visiting Greece. Our apartment was situated at the back of the building so was cool and quiet. (We did not have air con)

Marina is situated off the main road up a steep hill and our apartment was then up three sets of stairs. Not for the unfit.

Agios Gordios is a gem and Kosmar describe it beautifully. The walk through the winding street lined with shops and tavernas to the beach is enchanting.

Eating out was always good. We paid between 12 euros and 33 euros for 2. The difference in price did not reflect in the quality of food so dont be put off by the price thinking its too cheap. I would recommend Nickys and Time out bar as best value for money.

On the down side, the resort is very popular and parking a nightmare. When walking the narrow street you have to be vigilent as cars are parked and motorists are often frustrated as they cannot find a parking space. The beach is a dead end so traffic is always two way and the narrow street is busy.

The beach was a little disappointing as there are large pebbles in the shallows and you have to wade through them (ouch) in order to reach the shallow sand bar. My wife is not a confident swimmer and was not comfortable in wading through the deep water before reaching the shallow sand area. The same will probably apply to young children.

I thought 8 euros for a beach set a little expensive but if you turn right at the beach you will find cheaper.

by P Clark

In a nutshell, I wouldn't stay at the...

"In a nutshell, I wouldn't stay at the Marina again. I stayed at the front apartment facing the road. The positive features of the accomodation is that it is clean (you will not see any insects inside) also the decor is simple white. However, you need to pay a daily rate for air con (we didn't need air con as the room was cool enough without it), a deposit to use the tv and you need to pay for a tv remote control. Also note that if you lose your room key there is a 50 euro fine.

During our 7 day stay our bed sheets and towels were never changed. The temperature in Ag. Gordios was a wonderful 41 on average, so you can imagine that I needed to shower quite a few times during the day. I pleaded with the cleaning lady (the owners mother in law) to change the towels when she cleaned the room. Granted no one could ever be said to envy my Greek and she knew basic English, however, she seemed to smile and acknowledge my 'towel request'. I was still left with the same manky towel. The room (particulary the bathroom) began to smell and was nauseating at times.

There is no pool at the Marina. There is also no central lobby so it can be difficult to meet other guests. The owner does not live on the premises so there is also the feeling of being left on a limb if something is wrong with the room.

One thing you should watch out for is the checking out time. When I booked the holiday I was told that I could stay in the room until I had to head to the airport for my departure flight (4:05 Saturday morning.) However, when I got to the Marina I was told we had to check out by mid day on Friday! In addition, if I wanted a room, the owner of Marina could give me a room in one of hs holiday apartments across the road for an additional 30 euros. I refused point blank and sent my last night at Angeliqa's (which was truly wonderful!)

If you are an 'Only Fools and Horses' fan, I can sum up the apartments quite easily for you. Do you remember the episode called the Jolly Boys Outing? It is where all the boys end up at a hotel called the Villa Bella - Marina is the Greek equivalent. Before you book the Marina: watch the episode.

As for the resort, it is wonderful!!! My friend and I were very upset to leave Ag. Gordis. The people are the warmest bunch you will ever come across. Food in all the restaurants are reasonabley priced. The area is also very safe and the beach is stunning and beautiful. I can throughly reccommend Alexis Restaurant as a personal favourite.

Management response from Giorgio Papastergiou, owner 31 Jul 2010

Dear Miss Asamoa, i am personally sorry for this delay email but i just discover what you wrote (on the 31/7/2010). I must tell you that for the customers of Kosmar (Xl group) the air condition was charged extra as we have a special contract with them. Also the agreement was to change bed sheets once a week and towels 3 times a week. The tv was free only the loose of the remote controls were charged. Something that until today we never do. Finally we must inform you that we are finishing the construction of a big swimming pool, and that we are living permanently in the apartments now, so you don't have the feeling of being alone!. If you read this answer i would like to invite you for 3 days in our accomodation for free. best regards and sorry for the incoveniense Giorgio Papastergiou

by J Asamoa

My overall rating is 7/10. I have...

"My overall rating is 7/10. I have only stayed in a few hotels aboard but a good many in England. I have used self catering accommodation all over Europe.

My family consists of 2 adults and 2 teenagers.

We had a 2 bedroom apartment on the front of the building with a small veranda leading onto the garden.

The apartment was spacious with old fashioned, but lovely furniture. It was basic but we had everything we needed.

We didn't find the road noisy at all, an occasional scooter but I must admit we were out most of the days.

Boy - was it hot! We decided against the air conditioning because it seemed expensive. We then decided to use it and settle up with the owner at the end of the week. This was obviously a bad idea. The cleaner went mad and started shouting at us in Greek. It was quite difficult to explain our plan.

The matter was solved by the very helpful Kosmar rep, but I wouldn't recommend what we did to anyone. We did need the air conditioning as the front of the building gets the sun all day and the rooms were unbearable.

The resort is small and friendly and I wouldn't like it to change.

Don't go there if you want nightlife. If you want to eat nice food and wander the streets safely at night, it’s the best place you could choose.

We're visiting again this summer.

by  D Maughan

Stayed in Marina apartments August...

"Stayed in Marina apartments August 2006 with Kosmar. Rooms quite spacious with typical old fashioned furniture. Disappointed that linen only changed once while there (14 days). Also toilet leaked and smelled (room 503). (Number confusing - only 15 or so rooms in this accommodation).

Also we were asked immediately if we wanted aircon - had to decide there and then as owner doesn't live on premises - said yes, but you may find it unnecessary - no direct sun on balcony. Close shutters when you go out and leave glass doors open - room cool when you return. Also cool enough at night.

If you are in one of the front apartments, road is noisy with scooters and 'quad safari' from Pink Palace during day but it quietens down before midnight. Resort is great. We hired a car and deliberately subjected ourselves, out of interest, to the horrors of some of the other resorts on Corfu (depending on your point of view, of course - we are both a young 54). Ag. Gordios is the only resort we would return to if we ever go back to Corfu, with the possible exception of Kalami.

The island is still beautiful but the excesses of tourism in some resorts is just ghastly. There are many places to eat in the resort - we would recommend Steven's on the Hill, the Lemon Tree and Delphi - which is where a lot of the villagers go.

The Mad Greek is good too. There's a good beach - €8 for 2 sun beds & umbrella. Avoid at all costs eating at Posidonos behind the beach. Compare their meze (€7) of 4 fish fingers and some potato balls tasting vaguely of fish, and that at the Lemon Tree (€6) for octopus, calamari, fresh sardine fillets, onion rings, olives, taramasalata, tzatziki, fries, + other stuff - enough for two for lunch.

Go see George in the supermarket (Gee Bee's) at the crossroads/bus stop. He is a star and will make your holiday, along with his English wife Angela. We recommend hiring a car - we got ours at a good price, surprisingly (?) via Kosmar rep, Andy - cheaper than anything available in village.

Good beaches nearby at Pelekas and Glyfada. Pelekas village in mountains is wonderful. Corfu town (Kerkyra) is only about 20km away and well worth a visit. It's an easy drive once you find your way around the roads, or it's only €1.80 or so on the bus. We've been to Greece many times, but we found Ag. Gordios to be one of the friendliest places we've ever stayed.

We think it's an ideal balance - plenty of tavernas, a handful of tourist shops, nothing excessive, good beach, close proximity to 'real' Corfu, friendly locals, a very memorable holiday. Our first week temperature was touching 40º, but it cooled off for 2nd week after first thunderstorm (overnight). We had a further 3 storms and an earth tremor but it was generally hot (lovely!!).

We would recommend the generally available trip to Albania - it works out quite an expensive day but it's an experience not to be missed. Wish we were back in Aghios Gordios now!!!!

by D Hutchinson