Thomson Celebration Cruise Ship

, Thomson Cruises
hotel photo
Check the latest prices for this cruise

1 2 339 »
Anyone keep fit on the cruise by Brenda T

A great little read if you're looking to stay fit on your cruise. What did you think of the running track? http://goo.gl/6XBhcl

Thomson Celebration - Never Again by Bluedemon

My wife and I travelled on the Thomson Celebration Colourful Coasts Canary Islands cruise during the first week in February 2014. We paid an additional £126 (including £42 booking fee) for a cabin upgrade to an outside midship cabin on Deck 3, which we were advised would be in a quiet part of the ship. As experienced cruisers we have generally found a midship position to be the most comfortable.

Despite the £126 cabin upgrade, we were unable to sleep on the first night (whilst sailing from Tenerife to Gran Canaries) due to a continuous and disconcerting vibration, together with an incessant whirring noise, possibly from a nearby air conditioning unit. Accordingly, the following morning (1st February) we reported the problem to the ship’s reception, with a request to be transferred to an alternative, quieter cabin. We were advised however, that, although there were some empty cabins remaining at that time, as further passengers were still to board the ship later that day, a cabin transfer would not be possible as all of the other cabins had already been allocated to the new passengers. The reception staff made it clear to us, however, that our complaint had been formally logged and we would be advised in the event of an alternative cabin becoming available later in the cruise. Despite having paid the cabin upgrade tariff, we would have gladly accepted a smaller/inside cabin if it had delivered more comfort.

As the cruise progressed, with no alternative cabin available, we remained in our original cabin throughout the cruise, together with the incessant vibration each night whilst at sea. In light of this, we suffered many sleepless nights which unsurprisingly, degraded our ability to enjoy the various trips and daytime activities as we were constantly tired.

After speaking to other passengers on the cruise, we found that many were experiencing similar problems to ourselves and had vowed not to use the ship again. One couple, who were experienced cruisers, even said that if this had been their first cruise, they would never have cruised again

When we returned to the UK, we wrote to Thomson outlining the problem. However, in their response, they denied any knowledge of the complaint, saying that no such record could be found in the ship’s reception register, implying that we had in fact made up the story and had made no such complaint. They argued that we had not followed the correct procedure by not reporting the problem at the time of the event (first morning) and accordingly they were not prepared to accept any responsibility regarding the problem or take the issue further.

However, as we had followed the correct procedure, we subsequently wrote back to Thomson expressing our anger and suggested that the absence of the complaint record was down to a lack of diligence by their own staff. In their second response, however, Thomson upheld their earlier comments.

In conclusion our advice is do not cruise on this ship and if you do and you have any problems, don’t expect Thomson to help you. Once you’ve paid your money they just don’t seem to care. We were proposing a further holiday with Thomson later this year, but now we will be using another company.

• Holiday details: Feb 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Don't book, use another company

Thomsons do not listen by lolabell

In replay to the last review, I have been trying to get Thomson to accept the ship had issues in Dec . I have written several letters and had several conversations on the phone, I was basically told ...they were sorry they need not meet OUR expectations but met the majority of others. They never explained or come back with a response to any of our issues. So will think the only way Thomson will listen is when they have lost the season travelers and struggle to get bookings. Our expectation was to have good service. good food and to feel it was Christmas on board. Maybe I expected too Thomson ?

• Holiday details: Dec 2013
  • Advice: Do not book

the true story by lovesholidays

The Thomson celebration ship which left on 17th of Jan to 24th leaving Tenerife for a canary trip believe me the passengers was telling the truth it was a awful experience in all aspect ,poor standards and that noro virus with do not disturb signs as most was ill, but Thomson has up to 6 months to give us a report and time to water down the truth . very very disappointed..

Great Holiday but beware!! by Mark Jacobs

We have just returned from the Colorful Coasts cruise (28th Feb to 7th March) and having cruised on RCI, Celebrity and P&O have to say that the ship compares favorably in just about every aspect. The food was excellent and plentiful with great variety and the entertainment, especially in Liberties was first class. We did book the holiday late and had an outside cabin on deck one - try to avoid this as it is quite noisy especially in rough seas. We had a thoroughly enjoyable time and will certainly not hesitate to book again. One word of caution though, we had some perfume that had been bought on the cruise taken from our suitcase on the final night and I have read other reviews on this ship and it appears that this may not be the first time that has happened. Unfortunately we were home before we realized, so my recommendation would be to lock your case on the last evening before venturing out.

• Holiday details: Mar 2014, booked with Thomson
  • Advice: Make the most of the entertainment - it is fab!!

Our first cruise by Wendy L

Our first cruise on Celebration was a good experience except for the sometimes rough seas, which was out of everyone's control. Our outside cabin on B deck was large and well furnished. We had a 6ft comfortable bed with soft pillows and duvet, two large wardrobes,TV, tea and coffee making facilities and an adequate shower room..our cabin steward ,Razak,was an absolute gem. The cabin was cleaned every day, and the bed prepared for the night.(thanks for the nightly chocolates).

The food was always nice and hot, with a great choice, whether for breakfast or lunch and dinner. Afternoon tea was a nice touch.

The boys and girls who presented a twice nightly show, were excellent. The tribute to 'Queen' titled Killer Queen, had to be seen to believed. If only their boundless energy could be bottled, they'd make a fortune.

Unfortunately my husband suffered from two bouts of seasickness, but the medics were able to give him the appropriate injections, and he was able to cope with the slight rocking,

We were unable to sail to Agadir due to very bad weather in that part of the Atlantic, but we had and extra day in Madiera which was a treat.

If I had believed some of the reports I had read, I would have been very anxious but I went with an open mind and was pleasantly surprised. Hand sanitizing was the rule which we all adhered too. People need to appreciate that the Norovirus is airborne, but the good hand cleansing goes a long way in the prevention of the spread of the virus.

Due to my husbands seasickness, we probably won't go on another cruise, but we agree that apart from that problem, everything else was very satisfactory.

• Holiday details: Mar 2014, booked with Thomson
  • Advice: Go without any preconceived ideas. Experience the nightly cabarets, and enjoy being spoilt by the attentive crew.

A good holiday but staff and food not as good as last year. by Allison Owen Jones

Having had a fabulous holiday to the Red Sea on the Celebration last year I was looking forward to the Canary Islands Cruise very much. However, the staff did not seem happy for the first three days of the cruise. They were polite, but nothing like as good as before - have their work contracts been changed or something? Examples were - one waiter bringing other people's dirty plates to our table to scrape off their curry dregs while my daughter was still eating her dessert next to him, and just a general air of sullenness.

Maybe people complained because this changed on the third day and the happy-to-help attitude came back.

The Thomson Celebration is quite an old ship but I didn't find anything wrong with the room or the towels and sheets as others have. It was cleaned three times a day and was spotless. The little things like the arranging of the towels into cute shapes had gone though, as had the fabulous band of last year which played out on deck.

The food is bland and was (again for the first three days) luke warm. I thoroughly enjoyed the tea though - little sandwiches and cakes which were very welcome. The Meridan restaurant had good service but again the food was variable, but it is all included in the price.

Soft drinks especially are terribly expensive on board - £1-90 for a can of Coke! In fact, they will get your money all ways so I suggest you buy duty free to have something in your room and buy soft drinks in dock ready to bring back. They supplied ice for the room which was helpful.

Unfortunately, my husband was sick one day so my daughter and I were put under quarantine with him for 24 hours. I understood the need for that. The doctor and nurse arrived promptly and gave him medication and room service was provided. They did not charge us for the bottled water and the precious can of Coke wile we were confined to the cabin (unlike previous reviewer's experiences)so maybe they have changed the rules now. It was a long day though.

The entertainment staff were excellent; they did not seem to be affected by whatever was bothering the Filipinos.

So a variable experience. If I hadn't been before I would have rated it more highly. But I had my fix of sun and was very glad I went.

• Holiday details: Feb 2014, booked with Thomson
  • Advice: Take as many soft drinks as you can on baord - every bottle of water is charged to your account and it adds up to lot.

Thomson Celebration - Not! 17 - 24 Jan 2014 by Seawave1

My husband booked this cruise as a surprise to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary, he wished he hadn't! We felt disappointed as soon as we boarded the ship, apparently this ship had been renovated - it didn't show!

My husband contracted the Norovirus on the day of our wedding anniversary and as a result we were both quarantined to our cabin for 3 days. We understood this had to be done as this would help to cut down on the spread of contamination, but we should have been issued with some disinfectant within our cabin so as to help reduce the risk to myself and cabin staff. We had been informed that the Celebration's previous cruise had an outbreak of the Norovirus which, in our opinion, due to the fast turn around, the ship did not have enough time to be properly sanitized before we boarded.

The toilet sprayed our legs when flushed even with the lid down and l found faces on the shower curtain. The towels looked grey and old, the whole cabin just felt grubby. Other issues include a fume filled cabin whilst the ship was docked, together with noisy engines, which we couldn't escape from due to being quarantined.

On the last day all passengers had to leave the ship by mid-morning and were then taken by coach to a hotel near the airport. We didn't understand why we couldn't explore Santa Cruz or go on one of the organized trips!?

We'll, l could go on but l won't. Never again!

P.S. I too came down with the Norovirus the day after we arrived home, it's a very nasty bug!

What a joke by Warriors

My daughter and myself booked a cruise to the Canary Islands to celebrate her 25th birthday this was to be our first and last cruise with Thomson. The Noro virus was on board which we were not informed about. My daughter was seen by the nurse as she was vomiting on the second week and given an injection for the same, no explanations as to what it was, no questions were asked about any allergies to medication and the nurse did not wash his hands prior to and after the treatment. No wonder the virus was rife. The nurse said that the doctor would come to the cabin prior to us leaving the ship to review her but never arrived. The only communication was with room service when we had to order our meals and reception. We even had to pay for the bottled water when my daughters health was compromised by the virus and she desperately had to drink to prevent her being dehydrated.

The floor near one of the beds was thick with dust and the decor of the cabin was dull and drab and always appeared dirty.

The towels were replaced on a daily basis but always appeared yellow and like pieces of rag, they were so old looking. The toilet became blocked four times.

We will never undertake a Thomson cruise again as the experience was totally unacceptable, dangerous and an absolute waste of well earned money.

• Holiday details: Jan 2014
  • Advice: Don't even consider going

varied experiences on 1st ever cruise by Paul P

Booked 3 wk before and being Virgin Cruisers. We flew to Tenerife Friday 7th February and boarded ship about 530pm. Day 1 to 3 we stayed on board as we wanted to relax in the sun. Food good. Waiters brilliant with special mention to Cliff on the coffe bar. Sailing to Maderia in choppy seas put several people in bed my wife included. Maderia scenic tour was good value. The day at sea was ok. Agadir tour of souk good. I enjoyed a haggle. Overall a nice time and we will cruise again if possible.

• Holiday details: Feb 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: I would need a porthole/window next time

The Dream Not Celebration by Moorlander

Food certainly much poorer than a year ago, main restaurant staff very friendly but service is very very slow the menus are not anything to brag about and £9.95 for a steak? Now no Lamb,Steaks,Mixed Grill etc, replaced with Cornish Pasty and Meat Loaf??

Cabins and stewards still excellent.

This was our eighth cruise with Thomson unfortunately we always book this in advance and have another one booked ( HELP ) in all honesty I would not be able to recommend this boat to any one now.

There is no 45 minute rule for unoccupied beds apart from the days at sea so some people leave towels on all day, staff are not interested!!

Flat screen TV's and kettles do not make platinum.

Bar service is now that You go to the bar to be served.

Who awarded this PLATINUM are kidding everyone - certainly not the passengers we spoke to, everyone felt the same!!

Thomson are now sorry to say 3rd Class Cruising!

• Holiday details: Jan 2014, Booked Independently

Thomson Celebration 17th - 24th Jan 2014 by seassider

This was my fourth time on this cruise . The ship was hit by the norovirus bug on the third day and the whole cruise turned into an exercise in containing the viruS My wife contracted the virus on the third day and she was laid low for the rest of the cruise . I did not contract the virus but the management stated I HAD TO STAY IN MY CABIN AND WAS NOT ALLOWED OUT .

We missed 2 shows and the cruise director was guilty of feeding us misinformation and kept everyone in the dark about the extent of the spread of the virus.

We did not go to Gomera on the second last day because it was reportedly not safe to dock. We then set off for our destination and arrived in Santa Cruz one day early. I AM DUBIOUS ABOUT THIS AS EVERYONE HAD TO LEAVE THE SHIP BY 10.30 ON THE FINAL DAY FOR A COMPLETE FUMIGATION OF THE SHIP.That is an odd coincidence .

When we turned back from Gomera the Captain stated he would have to find somewhere to go , why did we not go to Los Christianos in the south of Tenerife rather than Santa Cruz our final destination.

When my wife was ill the reception desk failed to answer the phone FOR A WHOLE DAY .We were told the doctor would visit and it never happened . This was a common message throughout the ship , many cabins were told that the doctor would come but it never happened , they knew it was not worth the doctor visiting as it would just aid the spread of the virus.

The ship is now not stable enough to sail on these seas at that time of the year . A swell of around 7to 10 ft results in most people becoming sea sick .

The captains dinner was deserted because so many were sick in bed , whether this was the virus or the ship or both I do not know . I suggest more than half of the ship were struck with the virus , if Thomson's dispute this then give me the true figure. They should have sailed straight back to port as soon as the virus hit the ship and repaid the fares. For the record i did not stay in my cabin after being dictated to by a pompous rude purser at the reception desk who tried to contain me to my cabin for 4 days when I was totally free of the virus.

They may as well tell everyone to stay in their cabins.

I will not sail on this ship again.

• Holiday details: Jan 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: xx

1 2 339 »
Stayed on Thomson Celebration Cruise Ship? Share your insight.

Traveller Ratings

Overall
7.5 / 10
Good
Cleanliness
7.5/10
Location
7/10

Need a hotel before or after your Thomson Celebration cruise?

Check out these recommendations in ports for upcoming itineraries

Top traveller tips for Thomson Celebration Cruise Ship
  • by pstringy76

" Do the Excursions.....they may be expensive but the sights you see are priceless "

• by Toldo west yorkshire

" pay for a cabin upgrade if you can afford "

• by Gwen Taylor

" Bethlehem is a wonderful experience and Alanya is so inviting. The celebration gives the whole day for us all to enjoy the experience. "

• by Ayrshire Team

" Enjoy all the destinations Istanbul and Izmir very different and city stops - Mykonos and Rhodes and Marmaris Kusadasi great beach resorts "

• by Jacki Thew

" Make a sunbed reservation very early in the morning as no one sticks to the rule of not reserving. "

• by wo1890524

" Use a Credit Card to pay on board expenses instead of Debit Card,You get a month to get over aditional expenses trips etc.If on a budget. "

• by Sue Hennedy Smallshaw

" prepare in advance for the captains night, we didnt and regretted it. "

• by ajks

" Liberties entertainment was good "

Do you own Thomson Celebration Cruise Ship?