Thomson Celebration Cruise Ship

, Thomson Cruises
hotel photo
Check the latest prices for this cruise

« 1 2 3 440 »
Fantastic cruise

"I have recently returned from the Celebration after doing the Aegean and Holy Land i love this ship, staff fantastic, food great shows good, cabin (suite) amazing i will definitely go back on this ship the staff really made it for me they were just great we dined in the Mistrals restaurant one night and it was worth 20 pound lovely food, Thomson cruises are not posh!! But they are down to earth and met some lovely passengers i cant wait to book again!"

• Holiday details: May 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Just enjoy every moment
by Butterfly22

Our Holiday from Hell

"Please see below my original e-mail to Thomson Cruises after our cruise in January 2014

My E-mail dated 12/02/2014

We returned from our 2 week Canary Island Cruise on Friday 31/01/2014 and we feel we must voice our great disappointment with the holiday as a whole. You are probably aware of the outbreak of the Noro virus which affected a large number of passengers and crew on the first week. My husband was taken ill with some of the symptoms and after I reported to the reception, we were both confined to the cabin. This was understandable, but what we didn't expect was the wait before anyone contacted us. Even though I told reception about my husband at 11 o'clock in the morning and we were told the Medical Center would come to see him, no one contacted us until going on for 9pm. I had tried to contact them by phone, but couldn't get through. They eventually phoned us and arranged to send some re-hydrating tablets and Imodium and a bottle of water to our cabin. During this time we were left without anything to eat and although my husband didn't want anything, I was very hungry, as I wasn't ill at this time and hadn't eaten since breakfast. I tried a number of times to phone the room service but couldn't get through, so eventually at about 8pm, I went to the Lido and quickly brought myself a bite to eat back to the cabin. Then about 10pm Room Service phoned to ask if we wanted anything to eat. A bit late by then!!

This was on the Wednesday of our first week. The next day we were told that it had been arranged for everyone on board to leave the ship on Friday, so that they could sanitize everywhere. Again we understood and thought it was probably a good idea. We were allowed back on board at 4pm, but what we didn't expect when we got back to our cabin, was to find it EXACTLY AS WE'D LEFT IT in the morning!!! There was no sign of the cabin having being sanitized, nor even the bedding changed!!! I contacted reception to ask if they were meant to have sanitized the cabins and was told yes. I said ours hadn't been, but they said it would've been and it was just the beds that weren't made. I can tell you no one had been near our cabin; there were still marks on the sink and on the dressing table etc., even our Cabin Steward told us that they hadn’t sanitized the cabin because of the smell it would have left behind. Eventually our beds did get made, but no one changed the sheets!!! IT SEEMS TO ME THAT IF YOU HAVE A VIRUS GOING ROUND AND PEOPLE ARE CONFINED TO ONE PLACE, THEN SURELY THE FIRST PLACE TO BE SANITIZED WOULD BE WHERE THEY HAVE BEEN CONFINED?? AT LEAST YOU WOULD EXPECT THE SHEETS TO BE CHANGED!! We received a bottle of bubbly and some chocolate strawberries by way of an apology the following day, but I’m afraid this didn’t stop my husband from being quite ill and unable to leave the cabin for 4 or 5 days of that second week. We blame the Air conditioning to some extent as well, as we feel this was just circulating the germs from one place to another. We asked for it to be switched off, but were told that couldn’t be done, but the engineer put some cardboard in the vent instead and we were given a fan to keep us cool!! There were a lot of passengers with bad coughs etc., that second week and I was in and out of the shop on board most of that week, buying Cold & Flu remedies, Cough medicine and Paracetamol to try to avoid needing the Medical Centre, as we were told even to see the doctor would cost us £30. Eventually of course I too became ill with flu like symptoms, which is why I am only now able to send you our views!! My husband has been to see our doctor and was told he has a viral chest infection, caused by the Air Conditioning. This holiday has cost us almost £4,000, which is a 1/5th of my husband's annual salary. At these prices - having worked hard all year and looked forward so much to our holiday – we don’t expect to come back feeling worse than before we went!!

We are seeking compensation for this Holiday from Hell and eagerly await your reply.

We received a reply last week (21/05/14), offering us £500 compensation. We don't consider this enough and we will be asking for more. What annoys me most about the disaster of our holiday is the fact that they didn't sanitize our cabin, this led to my husband being even more ill the second week!!!

• Holiday details: Jan 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: don't go
by lingre

Horific holiday

"We booked with Thomson Cruises to travel during February 20014 and were really excited at the prospect to be traveling on the Celebration. It turned out to be the worst holiday that we have ever had. My partner became very unwell mid way through the trip and was kept in the intensive care unit on the ship.

When we arrived ashore we were transferred directly to a local hospital where we were accompanied by the ship's welfare officer, she advised that her role was to support us through the process until the ship sailed. We found her to be brash and not compassionate. She immediately advised me that we were unlikely to be passed fit for travel, on being told that we definitely had to stay I began to cry, this was a very daunting prospect as I didn't speak the language and found the health care system unfamiliar. Her response to this was "come on, you knew this was going to happen". I suppose it had some benefit, I realized that we were there alone and I would have to support my partner.

Before this happened I was told that I would have to pay the ships medical fees of approx £3700, I was astounded by this as we had shown our insurance documents on board the ship and at the hospital, we were told by the ship staff in the medical center that they would not make contact as it would be night in the UK and the company would be closed. If I hadn't been so worried about my partner I probably would have noticed myself that there was a 24 hour phone number clearly printed along the top of the documents. While in the hospital I advised the welfare officer that we would not be able to cover the costs and they would need to approach the insurance company.

We had been assigned a local agent (not employed by Thomson) but found him unreliable and had an agenda of supporting his local friend’s business. He didn’t turn up when he was meant to and was of very little use to us.

I was taken back to the ships to collect our belongings four hour before it sailed, the welfare officer arranged to meet me at reception 1 hour later. The welfare officer advised me that they had attempted to debit the medical fees from my partners account but it had been declined, as I had advised her it would be.

After struggling to reception with our bags I was met by the welfare officer, the purser, the local representative (along with his boss), and several other members of staff milled around us. At this point, despite seeing our insurance documents several times, I was told that I would have to pay the medical fees as I disembarked, I didn’t feel like it was an option not to pay, again I advised that we didn’t have the money available, I was then told that I should find someone that would cover the costs, again I advised that we didn’t have the funds available. At this point I was asked to sign a document stating that I would cover the costs within the next 10 days so that I could disembark to rejoin my partner.

We were stranded in Morocco for 11 days, 3 of which we were in hospital. Mr partner had problems with his heart and was extremely fatigued after discharge.

The local Thomson reps came to our rescue, they supported us to find accommodation at their local complex and supporting us in gaining the documents we needed from the hospital. When we asked for help we felt that nothing was too much.

We tried to rest while we were stranded, this was very difficult as we had ongoing battles with the insurance company for information and support. However if this was not enough, we found that Thomson had deducted the sum of the medical fees from my partners account in smaller amounts leaving him very overdrawn. When we discussed this with the bank, they advised that there is a ceiling limit to which the company could withdraw without our approval and by breaking the costs down they had been able to take the funds.

Several months on I am still in shock at how badly we were treated. We have sent a formal complain to Thomson to which they have replied, it has skipped over all of the issues and advised that problems are often found with the local staff. We had no problems with the local staff of Agadir, they were outstanding, we also found the hospitality staff (restaurant and bar staff) fantastic, they were all from the Philippines…..

I will never book with Thomson again and have been looking at how we can take this matter further.

• Holiday details: Feb 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: I would suggest that you don't travel with Thomson on on board any of their ships.
by badgercat

Thomson Celebration Cruise Ship Review

"I have just spent a week on the Thompson Celebration Cruise Ship and will try and put across a balanced perspective

Pros

1. Very professional and friendly waiters, cabin personnel and other staff

2. Good food in the main "Meridian" restaurant. Lots of mass produced, but very good food in the Lido" restaurant

3. I personally did not like the shows, so never stayed. But the rest of the family seem to enjoy these

Cons

1. Overall drinks and wine - Very expensive. Would highly recommend a drinks package. Some drinks were a "total Rip Off"

2. One of the days, the whole family experienced some prolonged sea sickness. I was charged £6.00 for 6 sea sickness tablets. These normally retail at the equivalent of 0.2p.

3. This is really a glorified "Booze Cruise" ideally suited to heavily tattooed people who want a drink from 10.00am till they fall over really!!

• Holiday details: Apr 2014, booked with Thompson Shop, Bradford
  • Advice: Get a Drinks Package
by GH16

Anyone keep fit on the cruise

"A great little read if you're looking to stay fit on your cruise. What did you think of the running track? http://goo.gl/6XBhcl"

by Brenda T

Thomson Celebration - Never Again

"My wife and I travelled on the Thomson Celebration Colourful Coasts Canary Islands cruise during the first week in February 2014. We paid an additional £126 (including £42 booking fee) for a cabin upgrade to an outside midship cabin on Deck 3, which we were advised would be in a quiet part of the ship. As experienced cruisers we have generally found a midship position to be the most comfortable.

Despite the £126 cabin upgrade, we were unable to sleep on the first night (whilst sailing from Tenerife to Gran Canaries) due to a continuous and disconcerting vibration, together with an incessant whirring noise, possibly from a nearby air conditioning unit. Accordingly, the following morning (1st February) we reported the problem to the ship’s reception, with a request to be transferred to an alternative, quieter cabin. We were advised however, that, although there were some empty cabins remaining at that time, as further passengers were still to board the ship later that day, a cabin transfer would not be possible as all of the other cabins had already been allocated to the new passengers. The reception staff made it clear to us, however, that our complaint had been formally logged and we would be advised in the event of an alternative cabin becoming available later in the cruise. Despite having paid the cabin upgrade tariff, we would have gladly accepted a smaller/inside cabin if it had delivered more comfort.

As the cruise progressed, with no alternative cabin available, we remained in our original cabin throughout the cruise, together with the incessant vibration each night whilst at sea. In light of this, we suffered many sleepless nights which unsurprisingly, degraded our ability to enjoy the various trips and daytime activities as we were constantly tired.

After speaking to other passengers on the cruise, we found that many were experiencing similar problems to ourselves and had vowed not to use the ship again. One couple, who were experienced cruisers, even said that if this had been their first cruise, they would never have cruised again

When we returned to the UK, we wrote to Thomson outlining the problem. However, in their response, they denied any knowledge of the complaint, saying that no such record could be found in the ship’s reception register, implying that we had in fact made up the story and had made no such complaint. They argued that we had not followed the correct procedure by not reporting the problem at the time of the event (first morning) and accordingly they were not prepared to accept any responsibility regarding the problem or take the issue further.

However, as we had followed the correct procedure, we subsequently wrote back to Thomson expressing our anger and suggested that the absence of the complaint record was down to a lack of diligence by their own staff. In their second response, however, Thomson upheld their earlier comments.

In conclusion our advice is do not cruise on this ship and if you do and you have any problems, don’t expect Thomson to help you. Once you’ve paid your money they just don’t seem to care. We were proposing a further holiday with Thomson later this year, but now we will be using another company.

• Holiday details: Feb 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Don't book, use another company
by Bluedemon

Thomsons do not listen

"In replay to the last review, I have been trying to get Thomson to accept the ship had issues in Dec . I have written several letters and had several conversations on the phone, I was basically told ...they were sorry they need not meet OUR expectations but met the majority of others. They never explained or come back with a response to any of our issues. So will think the only way Thomson will listen is when they have lost the season travelers and struggle to get bookings. Our expectation was to have good service. good food and to feel it was Christmas on board. Maybe I expected too Thomson ?"

• Holiday details: Dec 2013
  • Advice: Do not book
by lolabell

the true story

"The Thomson celebration ship which left on 17th of Jan to 24th leaving Tenerife for a canary trip believe me the passengers was telling the truth it was a awful experience in all aspect ,poor standards and that noro virus with do not disturb signs as most was ill, but Thomson has up to 6 months to give us a report and time to water down the truth . very very disappointed.."

by lovesholidays

Great Holiday but beware!!

"We have just returned from the Colorful Coasts cruise (28th Feb to 7th March) and having cruised on RCI, Celebrity and P&O have to say that the ship compares favorably in just about every aspect. The food was excellent and plentiful with great variety and the entertainment, especially in Liberties was first class. We did book the holiday late and had an outside cabin on deck one - try to avoid this as it is quite noisy especially in rough seas. We had a thoroughly enjoyable time and will certainly not hesitate to book again. One word of caution though, we had some perfume that had been bought on the cruise taken from our suitcase on the final night and I have read other reviews on this ship and it appears that this may not be the first time that has happened. Unfortunately we were home before we realized, so my recommendation would be to lock your case on the last evening before venturing out."

• Holiday details: Mar 2014, booked with Thomson
  • Advice: Make the most of the entertainment - it is fab!!
by Mark Jacobs

Our first cruise

"Our first cruise on Celebration was a good experience except for the sometimes rough seas, which was out of everyone's control. Our outside cabin on B deck was large and well furnished. We had a 6ft comfortable bed with soft pillows and duvet, two large wardrobes,TV, tea and coffee making facilities and an adequate shower room..our cabin steward ,Razak,was an absolute gem. The cabin was cleaned every day, and the bed prepared for the night.(thanks for the nightly chocolates).

The food was always nice and hot, with a great choice, whether for breakfast or lunch and dinner. Afternoon tea was a nice touch.

The boys and girls who presented a twice nightly show, were excellent. The tribute to 'Queen' titled Killer Queen, had to be seen to believed. If only their boundless energy could be bottled, they'd make a fortune.

Unfortunately my husband suffered from two bouts of seasickness, but the medics were able to give him the appropriate injections, and he was able to cope with the slight rocking,

We were unable to sail to Agadir due to very bad weather in that part of the Atlantic, but we had and extra day in Madiera which was a treat.

If I had believed some of the reports I had read, I would have been very anxious but I went with an open mind and was pleasantly surprised. Hand sanitizing was the rule which we all adhered too. People need to appreciate that the Norovirus is airborne, but the good hand cleansing goes a long way in the prevention of the spread of the virus.

Due to my husbands seasickness, we probably won't go on another cruise, but we agree that apart from that problem, everything else was very satisfactory.

• Holiday details: Mar 2014, booked with Thomson
  • Advice: Go without any preconceived ideas. Experience the nightly cabarets, and enjoy being spoilt by the attentive crew.
by Wendy L

A good holiday but staff and food not as good as last year.

"Having had a fabulous holiday to the Red Sea on the Celebration last year I was looking forward to the Canary Islands Cruise very much. However, the staff did not seem happy for the first three days of the cruise. They were polite, but nothing like as good as before - have their work contracts been changed or something? Examples were - one waiter bringing other people's dirty plates to our table to scrape off their curry dregs while my daughter was still eating her dessert next to him, and just a general air of sullenness.

Maybe people complained because this changed on the third day and the happy-to-help attitude came back.

The Thomson Celebration is quite an old ship but I didn't find anything wrong with the room or the towels and sheets as others have. It was cleaned three times a day and was spotless. The little things like the arranging of the towels into cute shapes had gone though, as had the fabulous band of last year which played out on deck.

The food is bland and was (again for the first three days) luke warm. I thoroughly enjoyed the tea though - little sandwiches and cakes which were very welcome. The Meridan restaurant had good service but again the food was variable, but it is all included in the price.

Soft drinks especially are terribly expensive on board - £1-90 for a can of Coke! In fact, they will get your money all ways so I suggest you buy duty free to have something in your room and buy soft drinks in dock ready to bring back. They supplied ice for the room which was helpful.

Unfortunately, my husband was sick one day so my daughter and I were put under quarantine with him for 24 hours. I understood the need for that. The doctor and nurse arrived promptly and gave him medication and room service was provided. They did not charge us for the bottled water and the precious can of Coke wile we were confined to the cabin (unlike previous reviewer's experiences)so maybe they have changed the rules now. It was a long day though.

The entertainment staff were excellent; they did not seem to be affected by whatever was bothering the Filipinos.

So a variable experience. If I hadn't been before I would have rated it more highly. But I had my fix of sun and was very glad I went.

• Holiday details: Feb 2014, booked with Thomson
  • Advice: Take as many soft drinks as you can on baord - every bottle of water is charged to your account and it adds up to lot.
by Allison Owen Jones

Thomson Celebration - Not! 17 - 24 Jan 2014

"My husband booked this cruise as a surprise to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary, he wished he hadn't! We felt disappointed as soon as we boarded the ship, apparently this ship had been renovated - it didn't show!

My husband contracted the Norovirus on the day of our wedding anniversary and as a result we were both quarantined to our cabin for 3 days. We understood this had to be done as this would help to cut down on the spread of contamination, but we should have been issued with some disinfectant within our cabin so as to help reduce the risk to myself and cabin staff. We had been informed that the Celebration's previous cruise had an outbreak of the Norovirus which, in our opinion, due to the fast turn around, the ship did not have enough time to be properly sanitized before we boarded.

The toilet sprayed our legs when flushed even with the lid down and l found faces on the shower curtain. The towels looked grey and old, the whole cabin just felt grubby. Other issues include a fume filled cabin whilst the ship was docked, together with noisy engines, which we couldn't escape from due to being quarantined.

On the last day all passengers had to leave the ship by mid-morning and were then taken by coach to a hotel near the airport. We didn't understand why we couldn't explore Santa Cruz or go on one of the organized trips!?

We'll, l could go on but l won't. Never again!

P.S. I too came down with the Norovirus the day after we arrived home, it's a very nasty bug!

by Seawave1

« 1 2 3 440 »

Average rating

7.5 / 10

Good

Food: 8/10
Value: 6.5/10
Cleanliness: 7.5/10

Need a hotel before or after your Thomson Celebration cruise?

Check out these recommendations in ports for upcoming itineraries

Do you own Thomson Celebration Cruise Ship?

Stayed on Thomson Celebration Cruise Ship? Share your insight.