Hotel Kompas

Good

Value: 7.5/10
Location: 8.5/10

Lovely place and comfortable hotel

"The Kompass is right on the bay front, about 30 seconds from the beach. A lovely smaller hotel with a salt water and chlorinated pool.

Equal numbers of English, Russian and Italian guests. Within 5 minutes of many good restaurants and local people were very friendly.

Quite touristy at this time of year and it got up to 35 degress one day which is too hot for me!

Hotel rooms are comfortable with excellent chamber and poolside staff, Bathrooms are little small. Bed very comfortable and wholw reost is a short trip into Dubrovnik.

Overall a lovely place, I would go again!

• Holiday details: Aug 2007, Bed & Breakfast, booked with Can't remember
by almosnoopy

Paying for Location

"I stayed for two weeks at this hotel with my boyfriend and two friends, and you totally just pay for the location. I'd say the hotel was built in 1950 and has not been redecorated since then. Our room (a double i.e. two singles pushed together) was so old and smelt musty and damp. We paid extra for the a "sea view " and you can see for yourself on the attached photos. The bathroom was just disgusting, old and not very clean. Also there was no kettle or coffee making facilties, no iron/ironing board and the balcony also very old and we just wouldn't sit on the chairs. Luckily when you go on a sun holiday you dont spend much time in your room. The four of us paid €1,400 each for flights and accommodation. I have gone to many hotels in European and I know the star rating system is totally different but this hotel only deserves a 1 star from us! The only good thing was the location and the staff were very friendly and had good English. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone!"

by cmti

Great location and views, shame about the unfriendly holiday makers!

"Just spent a week in Hotel Kompas. Very nice location as main promenade is pedestrianised so no worries of mad drivers! Staff very friendly and very serious about their work. Room service was good although bit stingy on the toilet roll we found!! If you like your English cuppa then bring your own t-bags as we found local tea pretty horrid, UHT milk is as fresh as you'd get!! Plus we had a mini bar in our room which we didn't touch, far better would've been a kettle!

Music entertainment every night was amusing, cringing at times but nevertheless something to relax with a drink to. Went on til 11.30 every evening but our room was on the side of hotel so didn't hear a thing at night. Air conditioning was a god send as the nights were very hot!

Pool very nice and if you got there early you'd get a lounger and parasol to use. We didn't bother with the Hotel's beach section, we found secluded ones further up the bay but it did look nice, pebbly and busy though. Never got to try the sauna or jacuzzi as had to book a day in advance and we never knew what we were doing.

We were half board and food was very nice. Breakfast layout was amazing, plenty of fresh fruit always being brought out and their seeded bread was sensational. Dinner was changeable most nights, lots of different salads, hot and cold dishes. Plenty of cakes, icecream and fruit for dessert.

Generally a great time but we found the guests very unfriendly. I tried smiling everyday to people you recognise at meal times and 99% of the time I got a blank face staring back at me. Shame cos on the last day we met a friendly couple!

by CBR-Girl

Great hotel in Dubrovnik

"Hotel staff were friendly and helpful and our room was of an excellent standard. Both the breakfast and evening buffet were very tasty although the dinner options could be accused of being quite similar each night. The terrace restaurant (not included in the price) served some excellent pizzas.

The hotel was a short bus ride from the old town, and the buses ran until at least 2am. The nearby beach is very busy but walking around the headland leads to some small rocky areas which are quite and have some shade in the afternoon. The swimming pool area in the hotel was very pleasant.

by Lizzle

Helpful staff

"I made the mistake of losing my bag at a kiosk at Pile Gate - I found this out when I went to check in. The hotel staff could not have done enough for me, I fully expected to have lost my valuables. The concierge called around, found the bag, organised someone to take me into town and I got everything back ... my holiday was not ruined.

After hearing all the horror stories of items being stolen in this part of the world, it was great to have my faith in humanity restored. the travel guides do get it wrong sometimes!

by Fade09

A little kitschy, but fine!

"My husband and I recently stayed at the Kompass (June 2007) and had a fine time. We are both in our 30s, normally kinda snotty about where we stay.........yes the Kompass is an old InTurist hotel that they are in the process of upgrading, yes it is a little on the worn side, but that said, my husband and I moved there from the Zagreb and got a) a much better rate (104 Euros), b) a much larger room, c) a hotel with laundry, a restaurant and immediate access to a beach and a pool - all things which the Zagreb did not have and the Zagreb was far more expensive. The rooms were perfectly clean and large and had a huge California king bed, they were fully air conditioned and the non-sea view was just fine as it was nice and shaded with foliage and provided a great respite after a day in the sun. Plus the kitschy eastern european entertainment at the terrace restaurant (which has pretty good pizza and local wine) was worth twice the price!"

by amandakr

Kompas in June

"The location of Kompas is stunning, with a beautiful swimming pool, access to the public beach and a path that leads to deserted coves where you can swim intotal solitude. Staff is very friendly and efficient; great cleanliness guaranteed. Said this, the hotel is quite a way from the old city so I would not recommend it for a short

sightseeing trip. Apparently, only the sea-view (and more expensive)

rooms were fully refurbished; I had a garden-view one and, although it was adequate, the bathroom was very small and rather old, with just a tiny glass shelf over the basin for your kit, a shower that would flood the floor whenever used and with a plastic curtain that would stick to your body. But the most annoying thing is beyond the hotel's responsibility: the other hotel across the bay had very loud music going on past 5 a.m and that made sleeping impossible. Mybe it was just Saturday night entertainment because I did not get it the previous night, but still infuriating. Breakfast is OK (but coffee is

terrible); meals at the restaurant very reasonably priced.

by MEG

Way too dingy for 3 stars

"It’s comical that the headline on this web site includes “modern” because this hotel is anything but. The carpet throughout the lobby and rooms is worn and even the exterior of the building is stained. Nothing in this place has been renovated in decades. The restaurant looks like a school cafeteria. The wastebaskets in the rooms are literally empty buckets and the bathrooms are just as old as everything else. The hotel has no plan for international phone calls and no longer offers Internet. Yes, it’s on the beach, but it’s a public beach so you can stay at any other hotel on Lapad (the promenade) and walk literally a couple of minutes to the same beach. Hotels like the Aquarius (we switched to there and had a great experience) and Zagreb are infinitely nicer for 20-30 USD more per night. Kompas bears no resemblance to its website. It’s a budget hotel at a non-budget price."

by NycNycNyc

Ecellent Hotel

"We stayed in Hotel Kompass for two weeks and very much enjoyed our stay there. It is an international Hotel and the meals covered most nationalities which means you can taste all the different foods. The staff were very friendly and there was entertainment every night. There seemed to be a lot of guests who had stayed before so obviously a good reputation. Location was good too for boat trips to the islands and short walk to bus stop for Dubrovnik which only took 10 mins. though in height of season you would be better and almost quicker to walk into the Old Town. lots of lovely walks around the area.

Most enjoyable holiday ,friendly people and stunning scenery.

Well done Croatia.

by lizgr

Great venue for a weekend in Dubrovnik

"We chose to visit Dubrovnik for an Easter weekend break and we were very happy that we chose to stay at the Kompas Hotel.

Rated 3 star the rooms with a Sea View had recently been refurbished and were more than adequate.

We would definately suggest that when visiting the Hotel a "sea view" room is booked.

The meals were very good "Buffet" style for Breakfast and Evening meal with lots of tasty choices.

The staff were very helpful and friendly and always had time for customers.

The hotel was situated a short bus ride frm the city ( we purchased tickets from reception at a 2 Kuna reduction) and when not visiting the city we were able to sit on the terrace enjoying the fabulous view out to sea.

We booked a taxi to transfer us from and to the airport with Dusko Tomovic who can be contacted on GSM. [--]. He also does escorted tours, which unfortunately we did not have time to do but we feel he would be a very good guide. We found him extremely helpful, pointing out where to get the bus from, telling us about the area and stopping for photos on the way back.

We found Dubrovnik to be an excellent place for a city break and if we go to Croatia again we will take a boat trip to some of the smaller islands.

We enjoyed walking around the city walls and soaking up the atmosphere inside the city walls, there is just one main street with lots of interesting side streets and alley ways. We were impressed by the friendliness of the people and the cleanliness of the city.

by SimonandJean

Oh, what a food!!!

"Dubrovnik is the best place on the Earth off the season!!! This winter is pretty mild, which means you can get up to 17 degrees C during the day. It's sunny, a bit windy, and definitely not crowded! Just two weeks ago I spent 5 beautiful days in Hotel Kompas. Never experienced it during summer, this winter it was terribly cheap (40 EUR per day per person, two meals included), not packed, but not empty either, and there was no price difference between the rooms which face the sea and those which don't.

Besides almost perfect service, I was most pleasantly surprised by the quality and the choice of meals... Although I walked a lot, I couldn't help putting on a few pounds. If for nothing else, I would always return to this hotel because of food!

by relx

Read more reviews of Hotel Kompas at TripAdvisor

Map for Hotel Kompas Closest airport: Dubrovnik (DBV) 12 miles

Top traveller tips for Hotel Kompas
  • by almosnoopy

" Lovely open air restaurant on the cliff walk "