Kontessa Apartments

Kos 85301, Greece
hotel photo

Good

Room: 8.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Kontessa Apartments

1 2 »
kontessa apartments kefalos

"Hi, I am thinking of booking into the Kontessa apartments in kefalos and would like to know if anyone can tell me if the ground floor rooms are studios or 1/2 apartments...thanks"

• Holiday details: Jul 2012, Booked Independently
by bbumble

Wonderful last minute holiday

"We were very lucky to be able to get a holiday to Kos last minute and we were delighted to find that the Kontessa Apartments were as described.

The apartments are spacious enough for 3 although they can sleep a 4th person. They were exceptionally clean.

All the apartments have either a balcony or terrace and look out onto the swimming pool and sea. The pool was great and spacious - there was always enough space for everyone so that sun beds/umbrellas did not have to be fought over.

The sea and shops/eating areas are within a minutes walk away. Beaches are good but a bit stoney/shingle so best to get some water shoes! We found the sea very cold for the time of year but there is a wonderful sea breeze all the time which is really welcome in the heat.

Only problem was that there were lots of mosquitoes therefore we did not benefit from being able to keep our patio doors/windows open at night. There is no airconditioning but you can hire a fan. Unfortunately the fans that were on offer were rather ancient but better than going without.

All in all a great place and perfect location.

• Holiday details: Aug 2011, Room Only, Booked Independently
by carol

Amazing

"I stayed here from the 5th august till the 12th and to be honest i have not really no complaints . The hotel was lovely and clean which was good only thing is when the wind picked up you get leaves and branches which will fly onto the veranda , the pool is lovely and clean , you have to beaware though of when you first get into the apartment it will be very warm so i do advise you to buy a fan for your stay there otherwise you will have one sweaty night's sleep which is not good , if you want to get food and drink there is a shop down the road which is a 10 minuets walk away there is also restaurants near by so you won't be stuck for a choice of what to have to eat if you don't feel like making anything , there's lots of bars nearby , the Memory Bar is a lovely bar to go in for if your bored one night you can go and sit in there and on the big screen they will probably be showing a music concert like queen or somrthing and on the small tv it will be football , anyway back to the hotel , the bar is a bit expensive for food and there's only one computer but in the memory bar there is a computer room in there , if you want to explore Kos a bit more than you can get a car other than that you may want to stick near Kefalos because i'm sure you'll find restaurants and bars as there's lots nearby , there's also a beach nearby but it's very small and not much sand on it to be honest , only problem i had with the apartment was that in the bathroom there was a moudly patch on the wall but i don't think that will be in all the rooms , overall though it's a really nice place to stay and i would love to go back again , ooh and by the way there is no reception so when you get there don't go and look for a reception you just have to look around for a door which will say welcome and then your surname on it"

• Holiday details: Aug 2011, Self Catering , booked with Thomas Cook
  • Advice: Don't go round looking for a reception when you get there because there isn't one , you have to look around for your room which will have a welcome sign on the door and your surname on it
by Char

4is generous!

"My partner and I stayed for one week in early october at the kontessa apartments in Kefalos, having previously stayed at the Ambivari which was more basic but near Kos town and we loved it.

After an idylic holiday there we decided to return to Kos this time staying at Kontessa.

We arrived at night and saw a reasonably pleasant apartment set in pretty grounds.However when we ventured outside to look around we saw a rat crouching in next doors doorway.

This marked the begining of a disapointing holiday.

The rooms were clean and bright however the beds were twins made of plastic with uncomfortable pillows and thank god we had brough two of our own!

The weather was poor sunny only for four days and the rest overcast.

Not the hotels fault but we were not impressed with the hospitality of the Kontessa.

We never saw Kontessa the whole week until we left when she hugged us and I felt like she was trying to make up for the poor service.

There was no facilities to buy drinks or icecreams or snacks at the apaprtments, a shop was nearby but very basic although the owner friendly.

Kefalos itself is a very run down poor area.The beach was shabby and all stones.

Cats of all kinds (which were pretty well fed by kos standards) wandered around and it was like a ghost town, we were one of only three or four couples staying.

The first day we went for a walk and were greeted with army tanks and men with guns.I was terrified and since I suffer from anxiety had an panick attack.Not what you want for a relaxing break.

They were doing some kind of drill which lasted till lunchtime and all the time that day there was men with guns posted around every corner.

Meals at the restaurants were of a fairly high quality but the shops were so sparse there was no food to make breakfast or lunch so we ended up eating all meals out which cost a small fortune.

we basically paid for food and drink in a week what we paid for the holiday.

There is a rule which means towels are scrutinized for makeup by the cleaner and woe betide you get a smear on them I sctually washed a towel by hand I acidentally got some mascara on (very small smear).

Cleaners were quite intrusive as english was not understood, I was ill one day but had to go out as they insisted on cleaning anyway.

The apartments as I said were acceptable for greek standards but def 2 star.pool was ok but very cold.

Kefalos is a ghost town at that time of year, we are in our thirties and there was nothing to do after dinner but curl up with a book or there was one karaoke bar locally where my partner was served a toastie with mould on it!

All in all I went on the reviews on here for Kontessa do not be fooled.I was so glad to leave and am going to try the agean village this year.As we really had our memories of kos ruined by this, the beach was not a beach at all, the apartments very basic with not much other than hob and fridge, and our room became infested with ants at one point.No air con we had to rent a fan for the week but this was a waste in the end as it wasn't hot enough to warrant one.

I am by no means a moaner as I normally scoff at reviews like this but please take heed, there are many problems with this area and apartments, I cant imagine families, couples or youngsters would find much to recommend the place.Our romantic break was ruined and although we love walking there was nowhere to walk to as the one promanade leads from a shabby area to an even shabbier one.You will see the worst of Kos here and CHIPS with everything,even breakfast, not traditional greek in any way.

• Holiday details: Oct 2010, self catering, booked with Thomas Cook
  • Advice: Hire a car,bring your own pillows and towels,go in peak season
by Koslover

October 2008

"Once again a wonderful holiday. Apartments excellent, views all around the resort are great. Could not ask for more from a complex or from the family running the appartments. See you again next year"

by jennyframpton

I highly recomend kontessa apartments...

"I highly recomend kontessa apartments . We had a fantastic holiday!The apartments are clean and airy with a beautiful view of the sea and pool.There is a local shop just yards away which is very well stocked. The local people were very friendly and a good choice of tavernas.We are going back again this year."

by  L Flood

An excellent holiday destination. The...

"An excellent holiday destination. The apartments are very good by Greek standards and there is a nice friendly atmosphere within the complex.

The resort is pleasant with a lot of nice tavernas and bars with reasonably priced fare. The resort is mainly patronised by the more mature holiday makers and families, hence is ideal for a quieter vacation.

The better tavernas are the unfortunately named "Stop Inn" and the "Big Aussie Bar-B-Q" although don’t be fooled by the names, as they both offer good quality traditional Greek food as well as various other nationalities of cuisine.

One thing that could be improved is the bar prices in the apartment pool bar, they are very high in comparison to the nearest bars just on the main street. If the owners realised it, cheaper prices would attract more of the guest to use it and this would enhance the friendliness to an even greater level and increase the profits for the owners at the same time.

Over all this is a fantastic place for a relaxing time on an island steeped in history with lots to see and do, or just to relax by the apartments ample swimming pool.

by K Coaten

We have just returned from two weeks...

"We have just returned from two weeks at Kontessa Apartments, Kefalos and would recommend this accommodation highly. Our apartment was clean, loads of room, large patio area with table and chairs. It was quiet which was what we wanted and the owners Kontessa and her sister are very helpful as are the other members of the family who all seem to do something there, cleaning, gardening. The pool was very clean and with only 16 apartments there were an abundance of sun chairs and it was spotless. The atmosphere around the pool and on the site itself was one of great friendliness. Our rep from First Choice was often available although thankfully, we didn't need to contact her about anything. On the minus side I would only say that you need to take sharp knives if you are self catering as there is only basic equipment and the two ring hob means that any cooking takes quite a long time. The kitchen could do with upgrading and perhaps either a microwave or toaster either installed or the chance of hiring these. The apartments are situated just off the main road, so no noise at night and we felt safe.

The bus service was very good - not always dead on time, but not expensive to take to Kos or any of the surrounding towns/beaches. Plenty of walks, especially up to the village itself, but very hilly to be prepared.

We went to Turkey for the day, over to Nisimos to see the volcano and found this to be a beautiful little island - typical blue and white. Zia at night is not to be missed and the food at Oromedon Taverna was superb 10/10 - a family run business and plenty of home made food and local wine which was excellent.

Kefalos itself wasn't quite ready for visitors in the first week we were there, but I guess by the end of May it will be 'open for business' all around. The restaurants that we visited were all very good - but the two that we found a cut above the others were Stop In and Sebastian's 10/10 which was probably the best, a great choice, well cooked, home made and the family were friendly and talked pretty good english - we were not disappointed with one meal in Sebastian's.

If you are looking for a restful, interesting holiday, then Kefalos and Kontessa apartments are there waiting for you. We rarely go back anywhere twice, but we may make an exception in this case. Enjoy yourselves.

by L DOVEY

My husband and I stayed at these...

"My husband and I stayed at these apartments in October 2008 for two weeks. We arrived in the middle of the night and our first impression was that the apartment was more basic than we would have hoped. We have stayed in a lot of different apartments and hotels in Greece and internally these apartments were probably quite low down our list of favourites. They were clean but didn't feel very fresh. There was a third single bed in the kitchen area with a really old tatty throw which didn't look very clean. On the plus side the balcony was quite spacious and all the apartments have views to the pool area. You can see the sea from the first floor apartments but I doubt you could from the ground floor. There is no air con but you can hire a fan from the pool bar.

The pool was lovely - clean with plenty of sunloungers and brollies. I counted and there are 16 apartments but about 45 sunloungers... with mattresses. The whole time we were there a good breeze kept everyone cool during the day. Despite it being October the sun was glorious and it was very hot. The pool is popular with some non residents but not so as the place is overrun. The pool bar serves a reasonable selection of snacks but it would benefit from a bit more in the way of furnishings or atmosphere. The owners are very friendly however and will help with any queries or questions.

A short stroll will take you onto the main road at the harbour. Lovely to walk along day or night. There is a fair sprinkling of restaurants, just enough to keep you going for a fortnight. We really liked the Stop Inn - the owner is so friendly and she really makes the place! Try the steak bernaise. We only had one bad meal - in Maria's. Someone at another table found a bug of some kind in their dinner which really put us off. After dinner we spent nearly every night at Syndey's bar. The owners are lovely and there was some entertainment on nearly every night - comedian, live singer, karaoke, 70s night, pub quiz etc. The bar staff and DJ make an effort to get to know the regulars and we felt like part of the family! Much fun had by all.

There is not much in Kefalos but it is peaceful and relaxing. The seaside setting is lovely and the resort is small enough that you can walk around quite easily... which is lucky because there are no taxis in Kefalos! So find a bar near your apartments to relax in after dinner! Or hire a quad for fun if you are feeling brave! Take the trip up to the old village on top of the mountain. It's small but picturesque and there are a few shops and places for lunch.

We will probably not go back to Kefalos but just because we have been there and done it. We would recommend these apartments (and the resort) to those who have not been before and are looking for a peaceful, relaxing holiday in the sun.

by L Ross

Well what can I say except myself...

"Well what can I say except myself (28) and my fiancé (27) have both just had the time of our lives on this holiday. I'm so sad to be back home.

Kardamena is a brilliant resort for all ages, although I would say between July and August it's going to busy with the young and lively.

We stayed in the Cleopatra Superior B&B. The breakfast was continental meaning cereal, toast, jam, cheese, ham, peaches, biscuits, tea, coffee. But in 40 to 46 degrees heat we weren't that bothered about eating.

The staff in the hotel are all very friendly. Kirsty and Gareth the bar staff are really nice people and George the security man keeps everyone that's arriving home in the early hours quiet because the hotel has a noise policy. We got told to be quiet many a time.

Our rooms were cleaned and beds made every day. We had a sea and pool view which made it more special. You have to pay for your air con, 35euros a week which was a definite must because it gets very hot.

The main area of Kardamena is only a 10 minute walk away so you’re really close to everything. The two main clubs Starlight and Status are only about 20 mins walk from hotel. We found Starlight to be the best.

The Foam Party on a Saturday Night is a must. Never to be forgotten, the foam reaches 6 feet high. Amazing experience. If you talk to PR’s you'll get free tickets for Starlight and Status. Downtown (cheesy music) and Stone Roses (indie and rock) are also clubs, they’re both free to get into. We went there before we went clubbing because all the music turns off in the bars at 12 o’clock.

For eating head to Amazon about 9.00pm. They give you a 3 course meal and as much drinks as you can drink up until 12.00 for 20euros. (Get the fishbowls). Had nice meals in Ariadni, Fu King Gou (what a name), Alexander’s and Anna’s (2 mins from hotel, Stevie you're the best!).

For drinking stay on the outskirts for cheaper drinks. Bar Street and some of the harbour front bars prices were quite dear. 5euros for vodka and coke or blue wkd. Although there’s loads of free shots and cocktail deals on bar street which is good. Visited Xpose, Toxic, Poison Apple, Bar 1960(discounts if you’re in the Cleopatra) loads of others and Crackers.

Went to Crackers about 10.30 every night until 12.00 for its banging dance tunes and amazing atmosphere. All the bar staff are so nice especially the PR girls.

If you’re interested in the excursions don't book with the reps. You can get them all much cheaper if you head to the Travel shops in the square.

We did the 3 island cruise, Zia by night and Bubble Beach buts there’s loads more and at good prices. Also booked with the Sponge Man (Stefano’s) on the harbour front to go scuba diving. Again another unforgettable experience and at a good price.

We loved this holiday so much were going to go back again in October. Can't wait till next year.

The Greek people are the nicest people you'll ever meet. They'll go out there way to talk to you and they'll always remember you and talk to you when they see you.

The best holiday we've ever had and we've been many places.

by Dr D Dion

I stayed there with my friend and 7...

"I stayed there with my friend and 7 family members. The rooms are lovely and clean, pool is nice a big.

Kos beeches are brill. The sea is so clear and the fishes come right up to the sand. The people are friendly and look after you.

It's great for a quiet holiday, but if you want the clubs and late nights it's just 5 minutes in to the town. I’ve booked up for next year.

by J Kew

I stayed at the Kontessa with my wife...

"I stayed at the Kontessa with my wife in June 2006, the apartments are some of the most enjoyable ones I have had on various visits to Greece and would certainly go again.

Kontessa (the owner) is very helpful and nothing seems too much trouble. The position of the apartments is just what we wanted for a peaceful holiday, but with a supermarket and restaurants and good beach very close by.

We did not have any meals at the restaurants that we were not happy with, and we will certainly go back, and hopefully to the Kontessa again. I recommend here to anyone wanting a quiet, holiday, away from all the bustle of busier resorts.

by P Angear

1 2 »

Do you own Kontessa Apartments?

Stayed at Kontessa Apartments? Share your insight.

Kontessa Apartments is also called: