Playa Colibri Hotel-Residence

Good

Room: 8.5/10
Value: 8.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Playa Colibri Hotel-Residence

Our Favorite Place on Earth!

"This past March will have been our 5th visit to Playa Colibri Residence in Las Terrenas. This is the most wonderful hotel with staff as warm and kind as we have ever experienced throughout the Caribbean. The apartments are wonderful, clean and roomy with charming decor as well as efficiently furnished kitchens and very comfortable beds. Just steps from an exquisite beach and a wonderful pool and jacuzzi, this place has it all! The restaurant is "fantastico" with a most pleasant host who is happy to bring your meal right up to your apartment so that you can eat in the privacy of your own patio overlooking the beautiful sea. This is without a doubt the best hotel in Las Terrenas and always leaves us with tears in our eyes when we have to say our goodbye!"

Gets better every time.

"My wife and I have stayed at the Colibri on four seperate occasions. Two of our visits were of of four weeks duration. Each time we went the service and quality remained supurb.The staff is wonderful. The beach, the pool, the grounds and the accomodations are immacuatly maintained. We highly recommend the Colibri."

3 weeks were not enough

"the 3 weeks we spent were just a dream. This hotel is not only right in front of the beach it also has a fantastic tropical garden. Every morning having breakfast on the terrace we saw real colibris feeding of the flowers. The place is just perfect : close to the center of Las Terrenas but far enough to be really quiet with a relaxing atmosphere.

And from here You can start all Your adventures: Whalewatching, snorkeling, horsebackriding along the beach or to the amazing waterfall ElLimon, Nationalpark Los Haitises or rent a fourwheel ( that is fun).

The friendly staff will give You all the informations You need and help You to arrange every trip . Or You can spent a gorgeous day on the beach in front of the Hotel Playa Colibri with clean, calm and warm water or at the pool. Dont miss the excellent food in the restaurant Colibar. .....Three weeks were not enough.

by A TripAdvisor Member

Better than the all inclusives

"My wife and I just returned from 3 weeks at Playa Colibri in Las

Terrenas. Our second trip and we were not disappointed. Apartments are

large, wonderful porches, beautiful pool and only steps from a postcard

beach. Great beaches for walking and swimming. The Colibri and the town

of Los Terrenas have unique beachfront restaurants, varietiy of menus,

very reasonably priced. Plenty to do. From windsurfing to whale

watching in the Samana Bay, (in season) to horseback riding to the

falls at El Limon. And everything, from the restaurants to the El

Presidente is very reasonably priced.If you are looking for something

different than the all inclusives that dominate the DR, try Playa

Colibri in Los Terrenas.

shoes are strictly optional

"Since several years I visit a fantastic hotel called Playa Colibri which is located on a distance of 20 meters/60 feet from the Atlantic Ocean. This beach in particular, is one of the best of Las Terrenas. In the center of their tropical garden they have a nice swimmingpool and the jacuzzi is a very romantic hide out to use during a warm tropical night enlightened with the glimpse of the moon. The view on the sea is breath-taking at daytime, the sunset is sometimes even more spectacular. They keep up with the maintanace of their apartments in a good way: every time they've added some more details to make your stay comfortable. If you visit Las Terrenas, Playa Colibri should be your place to stay! Visit their site."

by Imke

Best residence hotel I have ever been to

"In Las Terrenas I stayed at an apartment of hotel/residence Playa Colibri. The apartment was very clean, large and from the balcony we could see the sea, the beach is really two steps away. The kitchen was fully equiped, so we could make our own breakfast and dinner (which we did a couple of times). Apart from great facilities, Playa Colibri offers the best in hospitality. The staff was very helpful, definitly multi lingual and we experienced an absolut stress free vacation, thanks to the people from Playa Colibri. PS: They also have a big pool and very good restaurant."

by hermein

Playa Colibri is a great place

"I loved Playa Colibri, I went there with my wife last month. We loved going to the beach and int the sea the snorkling was fantastic. We also rented a bike, drove around a bit, and found some more incredible places. The apartment was perfect, the staff wonderfull, it was like a second honeymoon for us. I highly recommend this place, to beach bums and active folks, not to people who like to go to an all-inclusive place, where the "adventure" is planned by the hotel. This place is to relax and feel totally free."

by A TripAdvisor Member

A small piece of heaven.

"The place gets better every year. The administration is very efficient.

Love the casual atmosphere and the beautiful surroundings. Great Italian restaurant. You can almost have your meal custom made. Just tell Grazziano what you would like to have for lunch or dinner the following day and he will make it for you!

by colibri

A place to dream about

"Last year I stayed in Colibri with my sister and her children and we had a wonderful time. The atmosphere of the place is very pleasant, quiet and elegant but also informal and friendly: ideal for families.

They have a great swimmingpool and a beautiful garden. The apartment was furnished with care and in nice colors and there was a complete kitchen. In the mornings we had breakfast together on the balcony and then we'd walk 10 meters and plunge in the ocean. It really is a spot to dream about in wintertime.. Good value for your money!

by A TripAdvisor Member

In March I took my wife and some...

"In March I took my wife and some friends to Hotel Playa Colibri after reading all the rave reviews about this place. Everything they said about Playa Colibri turned out to be true, it was a fabulous place.

Normally I am not the kind of guy who likes a beach vacation, but this one was really fun. At the reception desk they kindly arranged for all our needs so we also got to see enough of the surroundings.

We took day trips on motorcycles and with a rented jeep, the surrounding area is very beautiful, but the beach in front of Playa Colibri is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen.

Since we were with a group of 4, we rented two apartments and they arranged for us to have them right next to each other, so we had our privacy but were also able to relax with our friends on our terrace overlooking the tropical garden of Playa Colibri.

We all loved this place and would love to go back, maybe next time we can rent a villa and bring more friends, they will surely thank us for bringing us to such a perfect place.

by Dannyboy

Playa Colibri in Las Terrenas

"My wife and I visited the Dominican Republic for the first time in March, 2002. We went to the Samana Peninsula on the recommendation of a friend who had been there 7 or 8 times. What we found was a very beautiful and relatively undiscovered area called Las Terrenas on the north coast of the Samana Peninsula. The Samana is known for its whale watching because during the early spring the whales come to Samana Bay to mate. We did not see that site, but I understand that it is quite spectacular.

Las Terrenas is a city of about 3000 or so that is located in a valley that is directly below some small mountains. When you first arrive at the outskirts of Las Terrenas, there is a tremendous view of the city and the ocean from about 5000 feet above. Then you spend about the next half hour negotiating the curves on the hillside to get down to the city.

We stayed in a condo/resort on the beach road that is south of town. The price was unbelievable. We stayed in a new (2 years old) unit that was two bedrooms and two baths on two floors, kitchen, veranda and pool. Our veranda had an ocean view on the prettiest part of the beach in all Las Terrenas. The price was $70USD per night, although you can get a one bedroom for $45USD if you want to economize.

My wife and I do not speak very much Spanish, but we had very little language difficulty. Surprisingly, there are not a large number of English speaking people in Las Terrenas. There are a lot of Euros, especially from Italy and Germany. I was told that there are now 900 permanent residents from Europe in town.

What I liked the most was that the beach was almost deserted. We were about 5km from the downtown area and we could literally walk into town on the beach and only run into a couple of people on the entire trip. If you do not want to walk, you can rent a motorcycle (125cc and 250cc are most popular) for a reasonable amount. They also have motorcycle taxis called "motoconchos" that are fun and very cheap to get to town.

There was not a lot of shopping for touristy things, but basic amenities, such as food and booze were easy to find and relatively affordable. We did a lot of our own cooking because of convenience, but there were many good places to eat and drink. There are a couple of late night discos that are pretty good and popular.

We liked the place so much that we are going back this year and probably will buy a villa. Real estate prices are the best of any place that I have looked in the carribbean. We could have bought a very nice two bedroom place in gated area for about $75K USD. Government is very stable and they like gringos and so there are not a lot of worries about owning property there.

Read 47 additional reviews of Playa Colibri Hotel-Residence

Map for Playa Colibri Hotel-Residence Closest airport: Samaná El Catey (AZS) 13.5 miles