Ra II

, Nile Cruises
hotel photo

1 2 36 »
GREAT HOLIDAY

"We have just returned from a super holiday.after 3 nights in cairo we joined the boat at luxor for a week then on to el gouna. We met some great people on board and because there were only 32 of us we had lots of laughs. Osama our guide was amazing and made the excursions so interesting. Good choice of food and no upset tummys.the egyptians can't do enough for visitors and really need us to go there. Would highly recommend the cruise as a way of seeing such wonderful sights."

• Holiday details: Apr 2013, booked with Longwood
  • Advice: IF YOU ENJOY AN EARLY MORNING CUPPA BEFORE BREAKFAST THEN PACK A KETTLE FOR YOUR ROOM.
by Linda H

Fantastic RA11

"We have just returned from another week on the RA11, this was our sixth week in the last four years. Everything is perfect. The trips, the crew, Osama the excellent Egyptologist, the food (no "food poisoning"), the boat's decor is a little tired, it was due for a refit but with the serious drop in tourists I imagine the cost was too great. We have never felt uneasy about security and have been out to several places alone. Egypt is a fantastic country. Go - you won't regret it."

by I love Egypt

Fabulous part of our Honeymoon

"We took the RA II for 7 days of our 2 week Egyptian honeymoon, and we absolutely loved it. The staff were brilliant and very friendly and helpful and the service was faultless.

It was sad that there was only 27 people on board to enjoy it, as tourism is down in Egypt, but if you are worrying about your safety, don't be - we booked through Thomas Cook and were met every step of the way by a representative. The only places to avoid is the town centers on Friday's as that is whent he demonstrations take place, but Egypt is suffering the loss of it's tourism unnecessarily in my opinion.

We did all the excusions offered,personal favourites being Abu Simbel (extra - but very worth it) Kom-Ombo temple, Karnak temple and the "Aswan Adventure"; also an extra but fabulous sights.

OUr tour guide, Omar, really made it for us, he was absolutely fantastic, so so informative and helpful.

Our honeymoon was made fabulous from the people we met also, all our group were chatting like old friends by the end, and I am looking forward to reliving our adventures in the DVD which you can buy which has you on, making the memory even more special.

The only reason I haven't given 10 out of 10 is the cabin - fairly dated decor, and being our honeymoon, it would have been nice to be in a double rather than 2 singles, especially when the boat wasn't full. The en-suite could do with a little TLC too, but it really is a minor detail, and it was such a wonderful experience, we will treasure the memories forever. :)

• Holiday details: Apr 2013, booked with Thomas Cook
  • Advice: Get involved in Egyptian Night - great giggle.
by Jen M

Wonderful experience on RA II

"We have just returned from a week long cruise on the Upper Nile on the RA II - a long awaited holiday which really lived up to expectations and then some!

First the boat - it was spotlessly clean with towels changed twice daily. The staff were very friendly and the food delicious. The boat is not new but is in an art deco style and I was constantly surprised at the lack of a short, stout Belgian detective among the passengers.

Then the sights - words cannot describe the thrill of seeing carvings that were over 3,000 years old looking as fresh as the day they were carved. The lack of visitors currently did mean that we were not rushed and even had some of the temples to ourselves! Our tour guide, Omar, was friendly, caring and extremely knowledgeable. I doubt whether many people could bring history to life in the way that he did.

Lastly the people - Even though many of them will try to sell you things they are basically friendly and the only threats from them were in our imagination. There was plenty of security on the trip but non of it was needed.

Egypt is a country going through change and many Egyptians are struggling to make ends meet. They rely heavily on tourism so don't be put off by bad press, make the most of the empty sites and visit one of the most amazing countries in the world.

• Holiday details: Apr 2013, booked with Thomas Cook
  • Advice: Book excursions in advance - particularly Abu Simbel - to ensure you travel by plane and avoid the road trip across the desert.
by Barbara M

Fab - u - lous

"We returned yesterday from our dream holiday - a Nile Cruise. We had an excellent time. The boat was clean and we were well looked after. The boat has a capacity of 77 cabins, but on our holiday there were only 27 guests on the ship. 27! So we were privileged to be spoilt by the attention we received. Our tour guide, Omar, was fantastic. His background information and knowledge really helped us to arrive at a better understanding of carvings, tombs and temples.

I just wanted to say that all the bad press here is crippling the Egyptian people. Tourism is down by 80%. We saw absolutely NO trouble, and we took horse-drawn carriage tours of the back streets of Luxor as well as visiting the better known sites. Come on Brits!! Egypt needs you!! Don't be put off by what you read. I felt less safe in Tunisia - and there was no trouble at all there at the time!!!

Just one last thought... I do have mobility problems and we took my wheelchair along. Although the temple floors are quite uneven and there is a lot of sand (hello!) I managed to navigate all the main places, and although it was tiring and I had to be extra careful... I would not have missed it for the world, and the crew of the boat were very pleased to help me at every stage.

I would definitely book again.

• Holiday details: Apr 2013, booked with Thomas Cook
  • Advice: Go with the intention of mixing with other passengers and joining in.
by Julia W

Excellent

"This cruise lived up to all our expectations apart from the lack of a kettle in the cabins. The staff were very helpful, polite and efficient and the cabins were cleaned every day to a good standard with the towels replenished twice a day. On returning to your cabin don't be surprised to find a towel and blanket creation there to welcome you, which is great fun!

The tours were fun, informative and take the safety of the guests into account. Our tour guide Salah was excellent, nothing was too much trouble for him, and he gave us so much information that we felt we were beginning to understand ancient Egypt at last.

The food was plentiful and excellent and I didn't get tummy trouble once, which for me is unusual, the service in the restaurant was friendly and efficient with people's needs taken into account. Concern was shown for a member of our party who did not arrive for one of the meals ( purely as she was not hungry at that time) which showed they cared about us. I celebrated my birthday on this trip and the staff in the restaurant made it into an event with drums singing and a cake with a candle.

The trip to Abu Simbal is a must with 2 excellent temples and views of lake Nasser to die for!

Overall I would recommend this cruise to anyone, it may not be up to date but it is clean, has atmosphere, caring and friendly staff and was an experience to remember for a long time.

We would DEFINITELY return to the RA II if we have another chance!

• Holiday details: Mar 2013, booked with Thomas Cook
  • Advice: Don't book with Thomas Cook as we had quite a few problems, but on a plus their representatives in Egypt, Blue Sky were excellent and very helpful.
by Julie L

Amazing!

"This was to be a holiday of a life time to celebrate our 35th wedding anninversary and it did not disappoint! We booked the holiday through Thomas Cook Signature which makes your holiday to the exact specifications you choose. We went for four days on the nile then four days at Cairo. Several people went for the eight day cruise on the nile whilst others like us went for half and half and others went four days on the nile, four days at Cario and four days sun and sea at a red sea resort. As we had a limited budget we choose four days on the nile and four days at Cairo but if money is no object then I would reccomend to do an eight day cruise and then do a separate holiday to Cairo as I felt we left the criuse mid way missing out the egyptian evening and the optional trip to Abu Sindel which sounds amazing. Anyway the time we spent on the boat was amazing; the first morning we woke and opened the curtains to see us cruising gently along was just breathtaking. The accomodation was clean, the food delicious and varied, three meals a day, the staff were friendly and helpful, the entertainment of a belly dancer and male skirt dancer one night and bingo another night were brilliant; trying to get the dj to add gangham style to his record collection! The excursions were spectacular and very informative due to us having the priviledge of one of Egpyt's top egpytologists Osama Petro, as our tour guide. Whilst we were cruising my husband and I just sat on the bench at the front of the boat and just watched in awe as we look in the wonderful scenery. Afternoon tea and cake was served on the deck twice during our cruise, which seemed very english! There is a very well stocked shop on board. What helped make the holiday such fun was the company of the other holiday makers. So thanks to them especially Carolyn, Debbie,Cassie and Joe who we sat at the table for meals with. As it only has 73 cabins it makes it a very personal and intimate experience."

• Holiday details: Feb 2013, booked with Thomas Cook
  • Advice: just sit back and enjoy it
by Roella

A Lovely Way to discover Egypt

"We have just returned from a wonderful cruise along the Nile on board the RA 11 from our arrival to our departure we were treated with care at all times, the cabin we had was all that we wished for and was cleaned at least 2 times a day , The food was excellent all through the week with a varied choice at all times available . We had a wonderful guide Osama who really made us feel at home and gave us great advice at all times and made sure that when we went on our excursions that all was explained, I would thoroughly reccomend the Tour to Abu Simbil the journey through the desert was something I will never forget. The staff on board the ship were very friendly at all times and so helpful and provided a wonderful service In fact we had such a great time that we are going to take the cruise again later this year"

• Holiday details: Feb 2013, booked with Thomas Cook
  • Advice: Be Prepared for the tours and if you can budget for it take the tour to Abu Simbil
by Alan10

Luv It !!!

"5 times i have been on the ra ii sometimes on my own.i love it looking forward to going back in october. Staff wonderful, food wonderful - like a second home to me!!"

• Holiday details: Nov 2012, booked with Thomas Cook
  • Advice: Do everything!!
by Carol R

NEVER EVER TRAVEL BY RA II or RA I OF EASTMAR

"Recently we had planned to undertake Nile Cruise by RA II of EASTMAR. For 3 Days we were stranded at LUXOR. The Cruise did not move even an inch. On the 3rd Day we were told that it would not go. As such, we were transferred by Road up till KOM OMBO else we would have missed our onward journey. As such, 95% of so called Nile Cruise was changed to Road Cruise. The Staff was not even apologetic, though local guide was good in his individual capacity. We await refund of money.

Further, EASTMAR group does not take care of their Clients. Some how they want to get over the itinerary giving least time to the travelers at each spot. A good guide should view the places of Historic importance thru the eyes of the first time travelers even if he may be visiting it himself for the 100th time.

by mazumdar

Average Holiday

"I have just returned from a week on the RA II over Christmas and was extremely disappointed. My mother is disabled and we chose the boat because it has it's own dock - big mistake there are steps to everything, no lift and no help from staff. There were many occasions where staff pushed last her when she was struggling to climb the stairs. Most of the passengers in our party had food poisoning at some point in the trip, people may say this is to be expected in Egypt, but I have lived in the country for 6 months and the ship's food is the first that has made me sick. Sailing only happened on 4 of the 7 days if the cruise there was a lot of time soent in port and most of the trips were by coach. There was little happening in the evenings which was disappointing the main events were a very poor belly dancer who would be more at home in a Blackpool nightclub and the party night at the end of the week which was excellent. The tours were fantastic and our guide Omar rally knew what he was talking about and had everyone interested. Had it not been for him and my fellow passengers the holiday would have been miserable."

• Holiday details: Dec 2012, booked with Longwood
  • Advice: Enjoy the trips the boat has nothing else to offer
by Susan D

Great week on the Nile

"Just returned from a week on the RA11, staff all very nice and helpful, food was very good, something for everyone to eat, you just need to let the staff know if you need anything else. The tour guide Salah was excellent and made the excursions very interesting. The ship was very clean, the cabins are cleaned twice a day. We took the extra trip to Abu Simbel by air, well worth doing this trip. Great time of year to go as its not too hot to see all the sights.There are some early morning calls to go on some of the trips, but it was lovely just to sit on the sun deck in the afternoons and watch as you cruise down the Nile. Towels are provided on the sun deck. Amazing holiday overall, the cruise is a great way of seeing all of the sights."

by Shellysully

Value: 9.5/10
Cleanliness: 9.5/10
Top traveller tips for Ra II
  • by yalla yalla

" Go on a balloon ride you get to see loads. "

• by SallyStaircase

" Bring enough money!! "

• by MillieC

" Do the Aswan adventure trip! The views from the tea/coffee house we visited are beautiful...plus you get to go the the only beach on the River Nile & have a swim :-) "

Do you own Ra II?

Stayed on Ra II? Share your insight.