Sol Cayo Coco Hotel

Value: 8.5/10
Location: 8.5/10

1 2 38 »
danger for family

"i have been to the sol before and we had an excellent time so we went back on may the 18th 2012 for 2 weeks were do i start it is filthy dirty.do not bring children here some man came in are room in the middle of the night to steel from are safe and my daughter still having nightmares it was 3oclock in the morning.when we told staff they did,nt belive us .there is no entertainment for kids non at all discrace.i can list alot of things from local cubans stealing to sex being offerd. the food is repetitive the hotel rooms are awful the bedding is stained and there is cockroaches everywhere.please do not bring your children here something bad is going to happen someone is going to be raped or killed i am not joking this place 16 years old it is more like 66 years old it is a desaster waiting to happen.the pool is one big infection your childs ears will be infected.the only good about this trip was the one home .do your homework before you go .i realy dont no how a place can become this dangerous in such a short time."

• Holiday details: May 2012, booked with Thomas Cook
  • Advice: try to stay asleep for 2 weeks
by garner-1

Terible vacation...

"This is a review from people who actually used to love to go to Cuba. We spent 10 vacations in Cuba all of them in different resorts (3 to 5 stars). As you would expect, some were better than others, but we have never been as disappointed as we were this year or we wouldn’t have gone back. Sol Cayo Coco did it for us. We'll never go back to Cuba.

Sol Cayo Coco is a 2* hotel in my book and here is why:

Reception desk: once we got there, we were given some forms to fill in first, then we were assigned rooms.

The reception staff was ok most of the time with one exception: when we asked about the transportation options available to go to Playa Pilar we were told that the only way to get there is a cab. We found out later from other guests that there is a bus that for 5 CUC offers a round trip on the whole island.

Changing money: there is an office where you can change money. Everything about this office is a mister y. The exchange rate or hours of operation are never posted. They give you as many CUC as they feel like it. If you ask for a receipt, you are going to be told that you cannot get one because the printer is broken.

Rooms: clean but outdated. The equipment is very old and defective; the fridge was broken and the TV showed images only in green. Although, there are about 24 channels, only 3 or 4 are English channels anymore.

Beach: the resort uses 2 beaches. Both are PUBLIC beaches. Cubans are allowed to use both of them, the beach chairs, the pedal boats and kayaks. There were days when there were hundreds of local people on the beach (specially on Saturdays and Sundays).

The nautical centre with pedal boats, hobby cats and kayaks is shared between Sol and the neighbouring resort Melia. Every day, the staff takes out only 2 pedal boats which are usually used by locals, 3 – 4 kayaks, and 2 hobby cats which are usually used by the staff to make under the table money by offering to take tourists for deep see fishing.

There is no shade on the beach before noon. There are only a few palapas and the seats under them go for high prices.

Also, there are not enough beach chairs on the beach. Some of them are also broken.

Pool: nice. There is a small pool for kids also. Again, there is very little shade around the pools.

Gardens: nice but not great. Someone mentioned in a previous review that the gardeners “are providing tourists with coconut drinks and hats”. Please allow me to rephrase that: the gardeners are selling hats for 5 CUC and coconuts with rum and orange juice from the bar(for which we already paid) for 2-3 CUC. Also, for a price, the gardeners as well as the life guards, will reserve beach and pool chairs in the few shaded spots for tourists willing to pay for this luxury.

Food: terrible. Again, we have been to Cuba 10 times before so we didn't have any unrealistic expectations. One member of our group was sick with diarrhoea and fever for 4 days, a thing that have never happened before. There is a first time for everything, I guess :)

Breakfast: was ok. Although boiled potatoes and french fries are offered daily there, you can find something else to eat like eggs or pancakes.

Lunch: is the worst meal of the day. The choices are limited and the food doesn't have any taste.

Dinner: is a little better than lunch. Again, no taste whatsoever but a few more choices.

Salad bar choices: boiled eggs (the leftovers from breakfast)

cabbage

cold boiled pasta

green (unripe) tomatoes

green pepper

cold out of a can peas

cold out of a can green beans

cold boiled potatoes

cold boiled white beans

cold boiled white rice

Warm dishes: warm boiled potatoes

warm out of a can peas

warm out of a can green beans

warm boiled white beans

boiled pumpkin

white boiled rice

black boiled rice

white boiled rice with egg

pasta

Service: there are a few people that work really hard and really deserve their tips. There are others that will totally ignore you unless you tip. Same thing happens at bars.

Bars and drinks: Besides the tipping problem, there are not a lot of drinks available. Only cuban rum and cuban vodka, cuban Cola, Fanta or Sprite. No Martini, Baileys, any type of whisky etc.

The juices available (only orange and pineapple) are made out of powder. Only at breakfast real orange juice is offered.

Also, the barmen fill up the glasses with ice to the top so the juice or drink will pour after is in small quantity. If you ask for “no ice” they are very unhappy and sometimes pretend to not hear you.

The beach bar: opens at around 11 a.m and closes somewhere between 3:30 and 4 p.m. after they give out all the drinks they have to locals, family and friends of the resort's staff. Also food from the resort is given out using the same route. I have seen people from the beach leaving with garbage bags with full bottles of drinks and jugs of beer from this bar.

Day entertainment: happens only around the pool. On the beach nothing happens. They don't even play music. If you are lucky and ask a lot of questions, you might get to play some beach volleyball.

Night entertainment: there is a mini disco starting at 9 p.m every night for kids. They seem to have a lot of fun.

The show starts at 9:30 p.m. During a 2 week stay we got to see 4 or 5 real shows that were decent. The rest of the shows are made with guests (e.g.; dance competition, pool party, beach party)

Management: First of all, this resort is managed by a Cuban company or it is going through a transition stage in order to pass the management to the cuban company Gran Caribe.

Although they are still allowed to use the name Sol for reasons I do not understand, they proudly posted a sign that says in Spanish something along this lines : “ This hotel is a part of the Gran Caribe hotel group”

The present manager, apparently from Spain, doesn't care about what is going on in the resort right under his nose. He is going to leave in October anyway.

Guests: we went to this resort under the impression that it is a family resort. However, there were quite a few guests allowed to tan on the beach or around the pool half naked (topless). I do not believe that guests exposing their breasts should be allowed in a family resort. The neighbouring resort, Melia, is an adult only resort exactly for this reason.

Out of resort trips: those offered by the tour operators are ridiculously expensive but you can get a tour of the island in 2 other ways. One, is by using the bus (a double deck) who takes you all the way to Playa Pilar (about 40 Km away from the resort) and on its way there stops at every resort on the island to pick up people. It costs 5CUC for a day (unlimited stops). You can get off and on as many times as you want. At the end of the trip with the bus, the ticket lady will take away your tickets (on which the date is never written) so she can sell them again next week and pocket the money ( look at the serial numbers on the tickets and you will understand better).

The second way, is by using a train that offers a 3 hour tour of the island for 12 CUC/adult and

8 CUC/child. The trains leave at 9 a.m. and 2 p.m.

I hope that my review will help some people decide easily if they want to go to this resort. I wrote here everything I would have liked to read before I decided to buy tickets for our vacation.

I wish you all a great vacation anywhere you decide to go!

by disapointed

I Love the Sol!

"I've been to the sol for 5 years running, and me and my family think its amazing. people are friendly and they never forget you, they also love waiting on you hand and foot, making you feel like a star! The people at the sol are the most nicest people you'll ever meet in your life and genuine people to! If i could i would move over there, but your not allowed. The people at this hotel are my family now.

The hotel got refubished to 4+ stars and it made a change, the beach is gorgeous, the food is great and the company there is amazing! I've already booked to go back next year and will continue till im a very old women :D

I LOVE THE SOL!

• Holiday details: Mar 2011, All Inclusive, booked with Thomas Cook
  • Advice: Book trips, and enjoy the cuba life.
by gabbiealicia

Pleasant Stay

"Just had 2 weeks in this hotel and we enjoyed our stay. There was no evidence of things being stolen either around the pool or indeed from our rooms. We stayed at the Blau Varadero 2 years ago and although that is a nicer hotel decor wise the food in the Sol beats it hands down. Yes the choices are basically the same every meal time but the trick is to vary your meals. Have fish one night, steak the next, pasta the next and chicken the next night and so on and you have got a varied choice of meals. The chefs (great lads) cook fresh meat (usually steak, chicken fillets, pork loin chops and kebabs with all the choices of meat just mentioned) and I counted at least 5 choices of fish which included gorgeous King Prawns, Squid etc. to a very good standard. Breakfast is the same with freshly cooked eggs and bacon which is overcooked for my liking.Then there are usually other meals to choose from in the hot food station which was always bubbling away with plenty of choices of vegetables.

The cocktail Bar is a must just to watch the barman (forgot his name)do his thing..very entertaining.

Never went to see any of the shows as its not my thing.

I have to mention the gardeners who keep the grounds looking immaculate and are very friendly guys. Just keep taking them the odd drink and they make all sorts of things out of the palm leaves for you. I asked them to make me 2 palm hats (for a small fee)which I brought home with me.

All in all a very extremely relaxing holiday was had by all.

• Holiday details: Jun 2011, All Inclusive, booked with Thomas Cook
by Quodex

Had a brilliant time

"Just got back from the Sol Cayo Coco last week and we had such a great time we have just got back from the travel agents to book for next year.

yes, room was basic but the air conditioning was heaven and as we only slept in the room so it didnt bother us. We didnt have anything stolen from the room and they were cleaned every day. We left the maid lots of toiletries as a thank you.

The staff were all friendly and the food was good, cooked fresh in front of you and had a wide choice.

The beach was brilliant, crystal clear water and golden sands.

Roll on 12 months time when we can go back.

• Holiday details: Aug 2010, All Inclusive, booked with Thomas Cook
  • Advice: Fantastic place
by Gav

Refrubished, I don't think so!

"Beautiful beaches, poor resort. Rooms surposed to be refurbished to 4+ star. In uk would rate as max. 3 star. Seemes to be a lot of theft from poolside, beach, rooms (even from safes in rooms) you have been warned! Definatley not worth the money."

• Holiday details: Apr 2010, All Inclusive, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Poor, book somewhere else. Although Cuba great.
by Shakey

Wicked Hol

"It was my first holiday to Cuba and it certainly will not be my last, it was so beautiful, rooms were clean, staff were friendly and fun, I visited with my best friend which made it even better. Would recomend this hotel too."

• Holiday details: Mar 2010, All Inclusive, booked with Thomas Cook
  • Advice: Go soon
by tai

love it

"we have been to the sol cayo coco 4 the times now and can not wait to go again . the hotel is closed now having a revamp but opens in nov .the staff are the best in the world they really look after you .the beachs are lovly ,the food is great the shows are just brillent .my husband and l have ment some great people who we ment there .who are now are best friends .if you want great beachs ,great food and good entertaiment ,and be looked after by great people the sol cayo coco is for you .go on try it ."

• Holiday details: Jan 2009, All Inclusive, booked with Thomas Cook
  • Advice: the best
  • Activities: all of them .
  • Good For: Beach, Skiing
by sue manchester

Brilliant Holiday

"Went to Cuba (Cayo's) for the first time as a family of 5 (2 had been before 4 years ago). Excellent holiday, free beach activities, food fantantic (food cooked freshly from different base stations) all staff friendly and can't do enough for you. Rooms in need of updating, (but we knew this before booking and the hotel is closing from the end of May for 6 months to be refurbished). Weather hot about 30 degrees everyday. Food and drink available 24 hours a day. 3 al a carte restaurants (International, Itailian and Cuban) tried 2 of the 3, food and service excellent. Will definately go back.

Dawn (39), Mark (40), Anthony (32), Gillian (62) and Jim (66).

• Holiday details: Mar 2009, All Inclusive, booked with Thomas Cook
by DLW

8 people who loved every minute of it.

"went there as a group of 8 ages between 19-27. what an amazing place to go could not ask for more staff are brilliant always willing to help and make you feel welcome. food ok (but im a fussy eater) one not to clever resturant on the resort and that is the itlian in the evening but a BBQ in the day, BBQ lovely not to clever in the evening. brilliant weather beaches lovely, fish fantastic colours and just an awesome experince would recommend to all ages. another good thing is that the rep was also very good and willing to help you which is always a bonus. staff on the resort speak very good english and love to interacted with you. FANSTATIC HOLIDAY going back in 2010"

• Holiday details: Feb 2009, All Inclusive, booked with Thomas Cook
  • Advice: the beaches are amazing
  • Activities: dolphin by day, catarman, scuba diving in trinidad and speed boats WOW WOW WOW
by keely15

Holiday Of A Life Time!

"My mum took me my brother my sister and my brothers girlfriend to cuba just last year in october!. i am 15 and i had the best holiday i have EVERRR been on!.

i met so many nice people and the staff were amazin!

when the people i spent all my time with had to get on their coach to go home, the staff were the 1st people there to comfort you and just make you laugh!. they get very attached to you, and dont treat you like people who have come on holiday. They treat you like there friends. They play games with you in the pool, have a game of table tennis with you and even go out with you at night and go to the beach parties with you. And the disco that is there, or the club as we call it.

I went on the catamaran trip, the dolphin by day trip and the jeep on tour.

i really would reccomend every singe one of them!

the catamaran... oh my god GO ON IT! its so worth the money, we had such a laugh andd was an experience of a life time!

The dolphin by day, i have to say it was 7 hours on a coach but when you get there is so worth it! Another experience of a life time.

But my favourite trip was the jeep on tour. That was FANTASTIC!.. Our driver "donkey" was perfect. So funny and just made our trip alot more worth the money. Going to a crocodile farm and feeding them and even holding a baby crocodile!

Also we went to the spa. it was the coldest day of our 2 weeks when we went there but i have to say it was still amazing.

Overall..

we are going back to sol cayo coco next year hopefully to see the changes that are being made to it. I cant wait atall...

just have to save up now:D

SEE YOU IN 2010!

• Holiday details: Oct 2008, All Inclusive, booked with Thomas Cook
  • Advice: GO THERE;; ABOSLUTELY BEAUTIFULL!!
  • Activities: JeepOn;;Catamaran;;DolphinByDay =)...
by bekii0610

GREAT HOLIDAY

"fantastic holiday animation team and all the staff fantastic cant wait to go back next xmas rooms are old but hotel is closing in may for 6 months for refurbihmentbeach lovely a must to go"

• Holiday details: Dec 2008, All Inclusive, booked with Thomas Cook
  • Advice: FANTASTIC
by JANE HAYES

1 2 38 »

Map for Sol Cayo Coco Hotel Closest airport: Cayo Coco (CCC) 8.8 miles

Sol Cayo Coco Hotel photos (2 traveller photos)
Top traveller tips for Sol Cayo Coco Hotel
  • by DLW

" International restaurant, two day overnight trip to Havana and Catamaran trip "