Grand Paradise Playa Dorada

Location: 8.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Grand Paradise Playa Dorada

1 2 3 »
very relaxing

"This was a great holiday for us - very relaxing . We could easily have settled in for the second week- We have never stayed at a 5 star so dont know the comparison . We were well satisfied -

took the spa day at the Jasmine - a good experience - did not realise that they were supporting the school and town so would have taken more money to make a donation Would like to know more about people taking school supplies - the school we visited was overun with donations- would like to know what they really need apart from money of course--I asked the teacher and she suggested cleaning supplies

• Holiday details: Mar 2011, All Inclusive, booked with Thomas Cook
  • Advice: would visit again
  • Good For: , City Breaks
by jakie

Absolute heaven

"my friend and i visted the paradise beach in may and found it to be one of the best breaks we have had. A very relaaxing, laid back location with the friendliest people you could hope to meet. our room was lovely, decor was tasteful and modern, maids cleaned the room everyday and towels were replaced everyday with clean ones. food was good in all 3 resturaunts with the buffet resturaunt being the best and with the most variety. its worth keeping in mind that you have to reserve your evening meal every morning or before 1pm. all in all this is a lovely resort and i would go back in a minute."

• Holiday details: May 2009, All Inclusive, booked with Thomas Cook
by john7

holiday in Paradise

"I have been going to Paradise Beach every year since 1995 ( I missed last year due to closure for renevations)first 4 years I went in October and was there when hurricane George hit and the staff were absolutely fantastic with the guests, nothing was too much trouble for them.I now go in May but due to having an operation It will be November this year. The hotel is well run and the staff are very friendly and I wouldn't wanr=t to go anywhere else, it is situated right on the beach. The food is good and the waiters friendly. We go for a nice relaxing holiday and at Paradise that is what you get. I am looking forward to seeing the new look of the hotel and hopefully some familiar faces. We book direct to the hotel and have had no problems getting the rooms we want. Roll on November"

• Holiday details: May 2007, All Inclusive, Booked Independently
  • Advice: definitely
  • Good For: , City Breaks
by Doreen Rawson

I would not visit here again. im not...

"I would not visit here again. im not a picky person about room conditions but they were ridiculous. the light did not work so i checked the bulb and it as covered in flies, anyone could break in the balcony, i caught a cold off the dirty air condtioning unit, cut my foot on the tiles on the pool, fag ends all over the beach, some wild cat trying to share my dinner, to top it all their towel card policy is shocking, someone stole my towel and i complained to the reception staff, but they did'nt care and said i had to pay $50 for the towel card!!!! the entertainment was a joke. bingo everynight, same routines everyday and the bar was stinking of stale lager. every drink had rum, in it, even if you ask for vodka! does not look anything like the nice pictures. you only get what you pay for and i wish i payed more for a better hotel and a more enjoyable stay"

by Todd

After reading loads of other comments...

"After reading loads of other comments from other guests my husband and I were a bit concerned about this holiday, but despite the reviews it was one of the most enjoyable ones I have been on for a while. This is not a 5 star resort and people should not be expecting it this it is a basic hotel with ok facilities. The staff were very friendly, nothing was too much trouble for anyone. The food was not fantastic, but was acceptable (and that statement is coming from a Microbiologist).

Any problems we encountered which were minimum were dealt with immediately by our fantastic holiday rep Sonia.

I would recommend it as a place to stay especially as it has the best part of the beach.

A few tips would be: They don't have pint glasses, so if you want one take plastic ones, there is no facilities for tea or coffee but there is always a supply at the hotel, insect repellant is a must.

I would also recommend the trip on Mega trucks and a trip to ocean world also go to puerto plata.

Hope you enjoy

by L Pickthall

Paradise Beach Resort- Feb 2008...

"Paradise Beach Resort- Feb 2008

Enjoyed DR on a trip to a different 3.5 star hotel last year. However this year at Paradise..(variously rated at 3 to 4 stars on different sites !).....yikes

VERY FIRST IMPRESSION: needs maintenance, non-smiling reception staff.

SUBSEQUENT IMPRESSION: lots of indication that maintenance needed, all staff seen during our brief stay seemed generally non-smiling, no enthusiasm, lethargic-unhappy to have what must be a pretty good job by DR standards..(general attitude problem at this place??)

BEACH- very good.

ROOMS= DISASTER! I did NOT pay $$$ for an attic, and did NOT book an attic, but rather a "standard" room (thinking also it would have a balcony..wrong!

Was given a key to an attic. This was up a tiny, somewhat dangerous winding staircase (how do people get suitcases up there?) In spite of what on-line booking had clearly indicated, reception manager said 'attic' WAS the "standard" room!!!!!

Two replacement rooms -reluctantly- offered were dark, very small, musty, tiny windows...apparently only "suites" have balconies.

Desk staff were polite, but again unsmiling, slightly dismissive, annoyed? Sheesh, we didn't pay this much hard earned money for an unhappy, uninviting experience.

Had to pay extra $ but we got the heck out ASAP to a 4-star hotel further down the beach.

Immediate impression at the other hotel= well maintained, all staff smiling

Later impression was that all staff seemed generally quite happy to be working here and hotel was very well maintained. a much better vacation experience for sure than what the Paradise seemed to hold in store.

Will go back to DR, Won't go back to Paradise Resort which does not seem appropriately named!

by M Reid

Once we booked, we checked some...

"Once we booked, we checked some reviews through the independent holiday review sites and were astonished to read review after review slating the general condition of the hotel , services and in particular the rooms.

These views were not reflected in the holiday reviews on the Thomson site we booked through. We were shocked but decided to make our own minds up once we got there.

This Hotel is in major disrepair; we notified our Rep on the first day but were told we only had the option to move rooms as a hotel move was not possible. We had expected the rooms to be basic but there were cracked tiles, mould on the walls, dirty lampshades, filthy windows, damp bedding, a TV which did not work and exposed wiring for appliances.

We complained and were upgraded to a larger room which displayed most of the aforementioned problems, within two days we had move twice again due to complete power failure in our block and then the next room had a broken air conditioning unit. The room we settled in was nice but for a hotel with only fifty percent occupancy I would have expected to be moved to this one first.

As mentioned the hotel is in major disrepair, the gable end of our block has most of the rendering missing or cracked and many exterior walls have large damp patches. The air conditioning units, bathroom suites and general decor are so dated now the whole feel is of a place time forgot.

The pool has a one meter ledge around it which is a slippy surface, many people including myself suffered from falls which could have been avoided if it was a non slip surface. The free towel service was a waste of time, every towel I received was either heavily stained or had holes; I complained to the service desk but was told this is standard service.

To summarise, I have stayed in many hotels around the world and regard Thomsons and World of Tui as a quality brand and feel in this occasion I have been let down, I believe the description online to be mis-leading and feel this hotel should not be part of their programme.

The services offered and facilities may be of a three star level but with everything in dis-repair and of a shoddy standard I am surprised Thomson are willing to send people there.

by dj-scunni

Despite falling on bad weather for...

"Despite falling on bad weather for 4/5 days this hotel is excellent. There is no better in the area for location sat on the gorgeous beach. The staff are very friendly and the food has a different theme every night with top class service in the dining area. We were sick of hearing people complaining about the food when in actual fact the choice and availability was excellent, our thoughts on the complainers were what the heck do they want ???? Our air con did leak after a couple of days and it took a few days before they fixed it but hey they are laid back over there not like us. Our only complaint if any was that there could be a bit more choice drink wise.

If you want a really really chilled out beach holiday then this is the place for you we loved it. The rooms are in the process of being re-decorated which some probably are due but ours was fine for how long you are in it each day.

by T Curzon

Myself and 7 friends stayed at this...

"Myself and 7 friends stayed at this hotel in June.

Overall I had a fantastic holiday and loved staying here. Yes it is in need of a renovation but it’s not that bad as everyone says it is. It is the only hotel that is on the beach front and the views are beautiful.

I would recommend this hotel to people who aren’t too fussy like me but appreciate the atmosphere of the hotel. I will stay here again when I go back.

by L Bastable

I have just returned from 2 wks in...

"I have just returned from 2 wks in the Paradise Hotel and I have to say that we had a great time!

The rooms are basic but they are definitely clean and as for the amount of time we spent in our room during the holiday it more than met our needs. The food was generally fine. There was a different theme every night and so it really depended on personal taste on how you found it each night. There is also burgers, chips etc being severed from noon until about 4 and again from 12 until 1 am so nobody will ever go hungry!

The staff were brilliant and seem to really make a point of getting to know all of the guests on a first name basis during their stay which I felt added a lot to the entire holiday experience.

The weather was also fantastic and we met lots of really nice people so had lots of fun. The Paradise Hotel is not a 5 star resort so if that is what you are looking for try somewhere else, but we had a fantastic time and I'm of the opinion that wherever you go there are always people who like to find something to complain about.

We had a great holiday.

by N Coyle

The worst rooms we have ever stayed...

"The worst rooms we have ever stayed in. We changed rooms 3 times, each time we were told we were in a superior room (don’t think so), there was even mould on the bed base.

Each one was shabby, furniture was really old and in a bad state. The paintwork was years old, but the worse thing was the damp and musty smell.

Since we returned home we have had to wash everything, even though we did not wear half of the clothes we took, the musty damp smell was in all our clothes and suit cases.

Our bathroom had louvered slats, which were fixed at open. We ended up having to stuff all the slats with toilet paper to stop the insects etc from flying / crawling in.

Would never stay here again, cost us over £1800 for 1 week, and it rained everyday.

We drank mostly cocktails as the spirits did not taste anything like they should.

Food was not too bad, and the staff in the restaurant were very nice, as were the bar staff too.

Furniture at the bars was all white cheap plastic tables and chairs.

Would say this was NOT a 4 star by any stretch of the imagination. Would rate as a 2 star for rooms, and maybe a 3 star for the rest.

by  V Williams

This was our 2nd time to this hotel...

"This was our 2nd time to this hotel and yes it is dated but is being updated. We had an excellent room right on the quiet beach.

Food and drinks were excellent and no one got ill except for an ear infection.

This hotel is cheap and cheerful and the staff will try their very hardest to make your holiday the best ever.

In response to a comment about the ice, is not made from tap water it is brought in in bags the same as all other hotels.

The pool is cleaned every day between 6am and 7am. We were in a party of 5 and met with other groups of 6 and 4 and no one was sick except for loose stomachs but nothing needing more than a couple of stoppers.

I always become like this and have stayed in 5star hotels in Dom Rep and was the same. I think its down to the rich food and lots of veg and fruit that I don't eat at home as well as all the fluids!

If you are looking for a cheap holiday in a gorgeous country be sure to check this hotel out.

by catdan

1 2 3 »

Map for Grand Paradise Playa Dorada Closest airport: Gregorio Luperon (POP) 4.8 miles