Phoenix Park Inn Resort

Value: 7.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Phoenix Park Inn Resort

1 2 »
Christmas in Goa

"First time at Phoenix Park Inn, although about our 16th time in Goa. Although we were put in one of the older parts of the hotel, this had it's advantages in that it was very quiet. Yes, it was a bit shabby, but the bed was comfortable, the curtains fitted the windows and the bedding and towels were white (a novelty in Goa I can tell you). When we arrived we had to wait for the room to be cleaned, but had breakfast whilst we did so - waiters were very attentive and the food was good. The kettle in our room looked a bit dangerous with wires hanging out, but our room boy replaced it straight away. The balcony door wouldn't shut properly and standard lamp did not work, but the maintenance man came straight away and the matter resolved in minutes. We were advised that we had no shower curtain as it was being replaced, which is was within 15 minutes.

I know people have complained about the airport in Goa and long waits, but these days it's much quicker and more efficient than when we first went to Goa back in the early 90s. We landed, picked up our luggage and were out of the airport within 45 minutes and, on departure, through to the lounge within just over 1 hour.

Despite terrorist alerts over Christmas/New Year and the presence of the military, the threat of banning beach parties did not materialise and we had a fantastic time, with fireworks bringing in the New Year as usual. The one good thing about this threat was that sellers were banned from the beaches (although a few did manage it!), but lots more beggars than normal for some reason (easily ignored or moved on with a few words).

Would definitely go back to Phoenix Park, it's one of the most quietest hotels we've been to in the Calangute/Candolim area, with the staff being some of the most friendliest and helpful we've encountered over the years. Perhaps next time I'll hold out for one of the newer rooms, but going back into the one of the older blocks would not stop me going.

• Holiday details: Dec 2008, Bed & Breakfast, booked with First Choice
  • Advice: Particularly liked Scarface in Candolim if you want a change from curry and chinese food
by PaulineY

BEST Time Ever

"Good Hotel with most of the Aminities. Has a Mini Bar in each room. Has GMY but needs to revamp and does not fit a class hotel. The food is good at the Geffory's. Has a good Pool. But the Poll Toilets are poorly maintained and not clean and dry. These pool toilets have not hangers to hang your wet clothes for changing your clothes after a swim.

Internet usage is quite expensive. It is about Rs 100 per hour where as you get broad band at about 25 Rs per hour in web world.

Food Really good and the staff is friendly.

by BhartiHarbola

Elegant Rooms with delightful & peaceful environment

"Elegant, luxurious Rooms well furnished with all the necessary amenities. The hotel is conveniently located near Primary Health Center, Candolim which is a known stop for all the public transport buses & taxis. The beautiful golden clean Candolim Beach is just near the vicinity of the Hotel with a 5 minutes stroll.

Hotel has a huge swimming pool with separate pool for children and restaurant. The food at the restaurant is average and would prefer to eat food outside.

The service levels too are average and can't expect much here. The rooms are well furnished with 2 beds, AC, Televsion, phone, closet etc...

The stay was really a memorable one at this hotel as it was the rooms which we really feel in lovewith.

by softanalyser

I loved the hotel

"The stay here was great looking at the price of the off season no one would expect such a good food and services from the hotel. The pricing of the food in the menu card was high; taking an all meal package is advisable because Indian travelers have the option of Indian food in the buffet. The swimming pool was clean. The hotel supplies polo balls n stuff for entertainment in the pool. Fifty percent travelers are from abroad here at the phoenix park inn.

The rooms were quite comfortable but the only problem with them were, if u had your room in the first or the second floor then u had to climb up the stairs and reach to your room coz one building housed around 6 rooms. But climbing stairs on your vacation seems to be a little tiring.

And hey the food was outstanding be it the Indian or the continental. The goan cuisines were fantastic and mouth watering.

The support staffs were very polite and humble. They were ready to help at any given time. The front desk was helpful and well informed.

Just out side the hotel. There’s a guy called john who rents out bikes on a daily basis. A little bargain would help you bringing the price down. The front desk arranges for sight seeing everyday in the morning which is worth going in for.

That’s all I have to say about my stay in phoenix park inn, goa. This hotel is highly recommended .I would repeat my stay soon.

by rathorkaran

Value for Money

"Although the hotel is relatively small - its a clean and nice hotel - especially the new rooms which we got. The breakfast is average, but the pool is beautiful. The location is great - just away from the hustle of Calangute but close nevertheless."

by Traveller1981-i

was a nice hotel

"got to phoenix park after a very long flight and were dumped at the end of a dirt road, I felt like crying, to be fair tho the minute we got to the gates and were greeted with a salute from the porter things started to look up.

We had been forced to pay a supplememnt by our tour operator for a balcony but when we arrive in our room, no balcony and no rep available! The receptionist was lovely and did show me that the operater(thomsons) had not booked us a room with a balcony. After chatting later that night it seemed that we had the better of all the rooms so we stayed put (after getting the balcony money back)

The room was lovely, spacious clean and bright, overlooking the pool.

Didnt spend many days around the pool as we soon realised that the sun only hits a few loungers at a time, but liked the beach better anyway. pool was veryy clean but beware of the night times around that area!! The ants come out to feed and unfortunatley they fed on me like vultures on the first night. I, and 5 others were so badly bitten that the hotel sent for a doctor. Nobody had asked so we thought this was very thoughtful. the best cure and precaution is called no bite and can be found in all the shops.

the staff were polite and friendly and to be fair they had some late nights with us!!! they never refused us a late night drink even when they were clearly ready for going home!

foxys restaurant gets a special mention his steaks are to die for. he and he wonderful staff make you feel like family! it is up the little dirt road at the side of the fishermans cove!!

had a fantastic time, and even the bites didnt stop us booking again for new year 2009. its cheap, friendly and hot!!

We tried to get the phoenix park again but they were booked up 12 months in advance so that really should speak for itself.

expect 3* and you will be ok.

by pico1uk

Good hotel,

"The Phoenix Park inn was our fourth hotel while in India and easily the best. Clean, quite spacious rooms with a reasonable bathroom, the beds were clean (unlike previous hotels) and the bedding was changed regularly. The food was good and the pool area was clean with plenty of loungers.

The staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough to help. It was nice to sit by the pool in the evening upon return to the hotel and cool down with a drink.

The balcony was tiny with a pigeon living on the air-con unit so we couldn't really sit out but didn't want to anyway, we'd rather be by the pool.

There are lots of steps to climb to get to the rooms, and no lift that we cold find. This was very tiring in the extreme heat.

It is quite near to the beach, only about a 10 minute stroll, but this feels like forever in that kind of heat, and it is over sand for much of the way, so not an easy stroll!

There are plenty of taxis waiting outside the hotel gate so no worries about getting anywhere.

The electricity did fail on several occasions (at least once per day) for up to half an hour at a time but this being India you'd get that anywhere.

Overall, a good, reasonably priced hotel that does what it says on the tin

by TravelFan099

Not bad at all

"Good hotel for the price. Clean. Room recently renovated. Decent breakfast. Short walk from the beach and the only supermarket in the area."

by nabosaka

Not too bad!

"This was our first time visiting India, and to be honest and i wasnt stupid enough to go there and expect 5* hotels. It is a 3rd world country afterall, however from the hotels and restaurants in candolim you can see how much tourism is developing.

First impressions were that the hotel didnt look too bad. We were greeted by smiling staff and porter who tooks our bags nearly straight away and carried them to our room, which was on the top floor.

Now i have to admit the walk to the room everyday was very tiring, perhaps in future a lift could be installed.

The room was very clean with a TV, mini bar, air con etc. It also had a balcony which was complete with 2 sunbeds. However the balcony was overlooked by a mango tree which blocked out the sun and made it quite dirty (leaves dropped off it). We didnt use the balcony much though anyway.

The rooms were cleaned top to bottom each day, the towels were laid on our beds in funky designs (crocodiles, swans, flowers).

Breakfast was good, foods alternated everyday and there was a chef there that made eggs to order (poached, omelette, fried).

The staff were amazing, we really bonded with them and you could have a laugh together. They really couldnt do enough to help you. If all hotel staff were like this then holidays would be enjoyable.

When staying there a man was cutting coconuts off the trees, my boyfriend asked a waiter if i could have one. The waiter went and got a coconut, cut the top off and put a straw in, once the milk was drunk he came back and chopped it in half so we could eat the flesh inside.

The hotel is situated in a good location, 10 mins from the beach and near the main road which offers many shops and restaurants.

All together, i would definatly go back to the hotel, if not for anything but the staff. There were absoluetly lovely and couldnt help you enough.

by Nadia-xo

Eventually very positive

"I promised myself before I went ot Goa again that after reading so many negative comments on Goan hotels that I would write a good review of my hotel if I found it was good rather than only write a negative review.

This was our 6th stay in Goa(1st in PPark) so arriving at Phoenix Park early on Monday morning 03.03 having been dropped at the end of the road we found that our room was not ready.

As I waited in reception, dog tired, dirty and anxious about our stay I overheard some people, who had arrived the day before, complaining about their rooms to their tour rep. I was therefore well prepared for a fight if it was needed and it was. The first room they took me to was dark, dank and so shabby I walked in and straight back out again telling the reception staff that I did not want this room and to show me another, the 2nd was equally as bad, again dank, damp, musty, with a balcony that was so dreary on outlook that you would not want to sit out on it. I refused this room also.

My poor hubby just sat at the bar and melted in the heat with embarassment into his Kingfisher beer.

By this time our holiday rep was in the hotel for his welcome meeting and I sat and fumed during his speel just waiting to launch into my rant about shabby, dreary rooms. Before all this could happen the receptionist ,who had patiently been very polite offered me another room, (room 1105) this one was on the ground floor, overlooked the pool and was a palace compared to the others that I had been shown, I gladly accepted. No balcony but great outlook.

From this moment onwards the holiday at the Phoenix Park improved and was very good. The staff, especially reception and waiters couldn't have been nicer. The pool area was always clean and tidy and although there were few sunbeds and the best ones were always reserved well before we even got up, it never seemed over busy. We only used the pool once as we always use the beach.

Breakfast was better than previous stays in other hotels, plenty of choice, and as another reviewer has already said the toasters were slow, but then I find all holiday toasters are slow Food was good, entertainment was put on every evening, however we ate out every night and so didn't use it much.

The cleanliness of the room was excellent, clean linen and towels every day. Room cleaned every day. I had laundry done this was very good also

Position of the hotel in the Candolim area is excellent, close to walk to plenty of eating places, shops and the beach. The Havili bar at the end of the road was always a great stop on the way home after a meal, good atmosphere with lots of people who obviously spend their winters in Goa. Great Biryani also in this bar.

Would I stay at the hotel again, yes but as the layout of the hotel limits the amount of rooms that have a good aspect or outlook I do think you have to be very lucky to get a room with even a half decent view. Also the other rooms that I did see were tired, dank and dreary, I like shabby chic these were just plain shabby. But I only saw 3 rooms in total and the majority of people who stayed at the hotel seemed happy with their rooms. So perhaps I was just plain unlucky . I think a little updating would help.

The new block looks much better as it appears that most of the rooms have balconys facing the pool area but these were being offered at 2000 rupees extra per night, so for the amount of time spent in your room I would say hardlly worth the extra cost.

I think in general the Phoenix Park offers a good standard of cleanliness,staff and value for money I would recommend a stay there as long as you are aware of possible hiccups. Enjoy!!

by jenjen31b

not a good way to end your holiday in India

"After a wonderful stay in Kerala, we were looking forward to Goa to relax some more as well to see the old city.

We were lucky enough to get this hotel for $100 starting January 4th for two nights. But, where to start ?

Based on the other reviews, it seems some parts of this hotel are better than others. However, any claims they make to be interested in customer feedback are empty. We had made our experience known to the Carlson group and have never heard back. Needless to say, I've cashed out my goldpointsplus .....

Anyways: the room was absolutely stifling without the aircon on. But, with the aircon on, you couldn't hear yourself think. There was very little water pressure in the shower and when you did get water, you would get hot water only for a very short time. The bathroom window and fan were absolutely filthy. Every single bathroom tile in the second row from the top (about 4 foot high) was cracked like eggshells - and only this second row. We couldn't figure out if there was some structural reason for this, some disgruntled former guest or it was supposed to be artistic. The shower curtain was also filthy and moldy and barely kept the rest of the room from getting a good soaking. The towels were nice, white and thick ...... when you had towels in the room. It seems that the cleaners do not leave towels in the room but wait until you return in order to extort a tip.

The bedroom itself was large, with a queen size bed, but the sheets were torn and the pillows lumpy. There is also a sitting area with TV (including English language cable stations) and table/chairs. But, the paint on the walls were blistered from serious water damage. The parts not blistered or peeling were stained, marked up or scuffed.

The lovely curtains were caked in plaster and the room, overall, evinced shoddy workmanship. The furnishings weren't too shabby - rattan chairs with a small marble topped table.

Be aware that it is not right on the beach, but is within walking distance. The immediate area is surrounded by the usual tourist shops and restaurants. If you're looking for nicer textiles, go to FabIndia, which was not too expensive (compared to what everyone else is flogging). There is a great little cake shop nearby and I'm sorry I forgot the name to let you all know. It served lovely nut tarts and chocolate cake and freshly brewed coffee, which we hadn't seen much of through most of our travels in India.

Other amenities at the property include swimming pool and the WiFi didn't work. There is no lift.

In general, we felt everyone had their hand out for a tip throughout India, but they were particularly bold at this property. I'm not sure if that is Goa in general or just at the Phoenix Park Inn.

by JKD

Just read the remarks about Phoenix...

"Just read the remarks about Phoenix Park. I was also there in March and have been mostly in October and February since the hotel opened, its one of the better ones. The staff are the nicest and most friendly. I came across the hotel manager Mario who cannot do enough to ensure your stay is one to remember.

I find it sad the good lady had a bad time but we and our friends who between us have stayed at this hotel over 20 times and between us we have never once had a complaint. Sorry I lie, one complaint, its too long between next visits, Phoenix Park is still and will always be a very good value hotel. Great staff and yes it's a basic hotel but HELLO its India not a 5 star Hilton break

by TWICKY

1 2 »

Map for Phoenix Park Inn Resort Closest airport: Goa (GOI) 10.1 miles

Top traveller tips for Phoenix Park Inn Resort
  • by PaulineY

" Particularly liked Scarface in Candolim if you want a change from curry and chinese food "