Playa Azul Golf & Beach Hotel

Room: 8.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Playa Azul Golf & Beach Hotel

Enter your dates:

Excellent hotel and staff by hennessey63

Had a suite on the 3rd floor with an ocean view and hot tub...exquisite. The golf was fantastic. Small resort and the pool wasn't heated at all but the trip was fantastic. Go snorkeling right off the dock and/or take one of the snorkeling tours that stop there daily. The seafood place (i forget the name) across the street is delicious and quaint. It looks crappy from the exterior but you will be astonished. Staff is very friendly and helpful. The Port is very busy during cruise ship docking and prices quadruple then. Haggle on off days and you can save 80-90%.

lovely botique hotel on the beach by heyJude

My daughter and I stayed at the Playa Azul for three nights January

9 - 12, 2005. I was pleasantly surprised when we walked into the

lobby. The decor was very nice, as was the restaurant and bar area.

There is a book exchange in the lobby, and internet is available, cost

of $2 for 1/2 hour. There is no fee for an outside phone connection.

The breakfast buffet was delicious at only $9 per person. With our

room rate, we received a continental breakfast which consists of

coffee or tea, juice or fruit and toast. We did not eat at the evening

buffet. It was $19 per person and didn't look very appetizing. We

went next door to the Sol Caribe for dinner. It was very nice, and

you can have dinner outside overlooking the water. We had dinner one

night in town at Casa Denis - great yucatan and mexican food. As far

as the rooms, we stayed in room 108, first floor, which I loved because

you can walk right out of your room to the beach, restaurant or front

desk, very convenient. There are only 50 rooms, and all are beachview. We stayed in the newer building, about five years old.

The rooms were also very clean. There is a large shower, no tub.

There is a hairdryer, refrigerator, and they provide a free bottle of

water each day. After a day or so, we noticed a strong musty smell in

our room. I told the gentleman at the front desk about it. He told us

we'd have to move. They showed us a room in the other building which

was very large, but it was next to the restaurant and could get kind of

loud in the early morning. My daughter likes to sleep in, so we didn't

take that room. He showed us a room on the second floor, but I really

liked being on the first floor, so he upgraded us to a master suite with

a jacuzzi, room 101, with no problem. The management was wonderful,

as were all the staff. They were very courteous and helpful. They

helped move us from the first room to the second. The gentleman at

the front desk helped in getting us a rental car. The waiters in the

restaurant were great. I can't say enough about the staff. I loved the

beach area. There are plenty of lawnchairs for everyone. There are also small tables with the bamboo (?) umbrellas. Very pretty. There's

a nice bar and outside restaurant, sort of a beachclub atmosphere. The

beach can get crowded on Saturdays and Sundays as a lot of the local

people swim there. All beaches are public. There is also a nice swimming pool, although in January, it was a little cold for me. I would

absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone, and I don't recommend

getting the all inclusive unless you are going to be drinking all day. There are too many nice restaurants very close to the hotel. This hotel

is only about ten minutes away from town, only a $5 cab ride. We hated to leave.

Great Hotel, Great Golf by CalgaryGolfer2

Just returned from a two week stay (Dec. 19 - Jan 2, 2005) at this great small hotel. Very clean, great service, friendly staff. We had a large room with a lovely balcony overlooking the pool, beach and sea. It has a nice sand beach and we never had any problem getting chairs at whatever time we went down to the beach. Golf is included - you will need to pay cart fees of $25.00pp US in high season and the golf course is fun to play although it does like to "eat" golf balls. They will store your clubs at no cost and the service at the golf course is superb! It is about 1/2 hour walk to the course. The hotel is north of downtown - about an hour walk and but taxis are only 50 pesos. Our only complaint was that some guests had purchased meal plans so breakfast and dinner at the hotel were buffets - the breakfast was good, the dinner was not. We only ate dinner there once but there are so many restaurants downtown that this didn't really pose a huge problem. We would definitely stay at Playa Azul again.

Wonderful Small Hotel by louie_8

My husband and I loved this small, friendly and charming hotel. We stayed for 6 nights just before Christmas. Our room was bright and cheery with a lovely balcony overlooking the pool, beach, and ocean. The bathroom had a large attractively tiled shower. The hotel is yellow and beautiful against the blue surroundings. We paid $130 per night +12% tax and included breakfast. As others have said, the beach and snorkling are very nice here. The hotel and grounds are meticulously kept.

We wanted something out of the main hub, and so this hotel suited us fine. Our favorite resturant for dinner was that associated with the Sol de Cabanas. A short walk down the beach, the palm roofed resturant is right on the shore and is a beautiful location. We took a glass bottom snorkling tour ($30 pp) through a guy advertising at the edge of the Cozumelito hotel (10 min walk north on beach). Very nice.

Ok- there was one glith with the AC. It would only go totally cold or off. And we requested a King bed and got two doubles. However, given the room and view, I was happy to keep it. I would definetely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for this sort of spot.

Good Place to Stay by A TripAdvisor Member

We just came back from Cozumel where we stayed at the Playa Azul hotel. This hotel was reasonably priced and I thought a good value for what you get. The Hotel was always clean--they just put a new coat of paint on the entire outside and inside so it looked very new.

We had 2 rooms with ocean views. The rooms were nice and clean. The beds were a tad hard and the sheets were not of high quality material, outside of that the hotel was up to 3 star standards.

The beach at the hotel is very good with plenty of chairs, loungers etc. The rake the sand every night so it is also clean looking in the morning

We also found the resturant by the beach had very good food and service by the staff was attentive and friendly. We had breakfast in the hotel 1 morning --overpriced and poor so we did not eat in the Hotel again.

We enjoyed our stay and would come back to this hotel

Terrible experience at Playa Azul by A TripAdvisor Member

My family stayed at the Playa Azul in February 2003, so I'm delayed in getting this review written, but wanted to warn others about this property. We chose the Playa Azul for two reasons: loved the size of the property (small) and wanted a situation where we'd have a larger suite-type room. The rooms in the older section of the hotel have king beds in the bedroom, and a sleeper sofa in the living area...a nice situation for a family with children.

From the beginning, we noticed that the air conditioning was not working correctly. Even though we'd been told that this was fairly typical for Mexico, we asked for a maintenance person to take a look at it. The problem persisted and we asked for a different room, only to be told that there was no other room available. For the next 6 days, we lived with either the sweltering heat and humidity (because the unit had to be turned off to "rest"), or an AC unit that was frozen over and spitting water all over the sofa bed were my son was trying to sleep. There seemed to be no happy medium. We asked (daily) for a room change, and the hotel staff not only denied our requests, but seemed to do everything humanly possible to avoid us.

While the property was a bit dated, this was no concern at all, compared to the problems we experienced, and the way we were subsequently treated.

We did also use the hotel restaurant...ho-hum food, although the wait staff there at least made eye contact with us.

While there are many positives about this property (size, quiet), I would never go back, or recommend the property to anyone.

The best hotel on Cozumel by sab30

Every year we have gone to Cozumel we stayed at the Playa Azul. The owners are wonderful guests however if you like the large cattle run operational that have no personal service..this is not your hotel. The rooms are clean withe very comfy King Size beds..a great little beach..and far enough away from town you dont get slammed with cruisers (some people actually think a $4 cab ride away from the town is a bad thing. The best part, the golf course is about 5 min away and if you stay at Playa Azul you only pay $23 a round..the course is AWESOME !! Bring your clubs stay and relax at the Playa Azul !!!

Great experience by jenntl

Stayed from Nov 7 to 17, 2004. Really glad we didn't do any all-inclusive. Too many great restaurants in town. Taxi ride into town was $5-6. You need to ask before you get in and don't accept anything more. There is a car rental place right across the street. We were upgraded without incident to one of their nicest suites because our scheduled room was being rennovated. Beach was small but beautiful and the snorkeling just off of it was great. Ate at an "all-inclusive" one night and were glad that wasn't what we had to live with. Also heard their water was out in the hotel. (Melia Cozumel). Beach was smelly too. Our restaurant was very nice and everyone was VERY friendly. Anyone with complaints is expecting way too much for the price they paid. We've stayed at 5 star resorts before that we weren't as happy with.

Not as good as it should have been by A TripAdvisor Member

My new husband and I booked the "honeymoon package" here for 4 nights as part of our 8/04 honeymoon. It wasn't worth it. First the good: the staff are very helpful and nice and the breakfast and lunch options are excellent, as are the drinks. And now the bad: the beach is TINY. The hotel is located far from town in the rather deserted northern hotel zone (the southern hotel zone is much closer to civilzation). The 2 dinners we had at the hotel were TERRIBLE. It didn't bother me that there were locals at the beach--it at least gave the place some local color and a fun feeling. I wouldn't go back, and certainly would not pay the amount we did for the honeymoon package.

Beware.... this place is misleading by A TripAdvisor Member

I was very disappointed during my entire stay at this "RESORT". The first day we spent the afternoon drinking margaritas and the place seemed great, however, as the weeked progressed, the locals piled in by the hundreds. There is no control for who's sharing the pool and the bar. We went to one bar, and the wait staff was spending more time servicing the locals vs. the customers. I was very disapointed with the entire place and would never go back. We were told not eat at the hotel (this was after we arrived). We decided to stay at Playa after all the good reviews.

They definately need to update the hotel as well as accomodate their customers. Don't let the brochure and website fool you.

Read 254 additional reviews of Playa Azul Golf & Beach Hotel

Stayed at Playa Azul Golf & Beach Hotel? Share your insight.

Playa Azul Golf & Beach Hotel also called

• playa azul
  • playa azul cozumel
  • playa azul hotel scuba
  • playa azul resort scuba
  • Address: Carretera a San Juan, Km 4 Zona Hotelera Norte, Cozumel 77600, Mexico

Map for Playa Azul Golf & Beach Hotel Closest airport: Cozumel (CZM) 1.8 miles