Milano Due Hotel

Service: 6.5/10
Cleanliness: 6.5/10
Location: 8.5/10

3 Star Hotel ?

"The Milano Due is a quiet and friendly hotel and the view from the restaurant is nice.

However the carpet in the room was dirty and there was mould in the bathroom. There was also a layer of dust on the headboard. Also when the Maids are preparing the rooms they have a tendencey to keep the lift doors open on the floor they are working on, forcing the guests to use the stairs.

There is no tea or coffee making facilities in the rooms and no room service outside of the restaurant hours. The food in the restaurant was at best of a poor quality.

I would not class this hotel as a 3 star.

by ringo1815

Fantasic hotel, great value for...

"Fantasic hotel, great value for money, reception, maid service, restaurant, great. friendly lively honest atmosphere. Recommend to family and friends. Cant wait to return. keep up the good work."

by A Mulligan

Loving the Milano Due

"We have just returned from a week in the Milano Due and can only describe it a being fantastic. Having read the reviews on the site we wondered if we were at the same hotel. Yes it needs a little updating, but where doesnt in Malta, it all adds to the charm of the place. The room was massive, with a tv, and a large bathroom. It was spotlessley clean and the maid came every day to make beds and change the towels.

Breakfast was great with as much hot tea ,coffee and juice as you liked. There was a great selection of continental cheese,meat,loads of different bereads,cake and always plenty of fresh fruit. Add to this the spectacular view from the 7th floor of the harbour and Valletta.

The staff were great; always smiling and helpful. We loved Conrad, for his lovely greetings and terrible singing voice!.

Although Sliema wasnt the kind of resort i would return to....too commercialised and full of shops, if we need to return to Malta before our baot arrives there i would use the Milano Due again.

by mrandmrspLincoln

Poor Quality Hotel - wonderful island

"This hotel was very poor indeed. We arrived to be given 2 rooms which resembled caves - very dark and depressing. I opened the curtains to draw in some natural light, only to be faced with a brick wall. I went into the second bedroom (my parents) and they too were faced with a scenic view of a brick wall. We asked to be moved and were informed that the hotel was full and would have to put up with it for a week. During this time, we realised that the air conditioning wasn't working properly and at one point whilst my parents slept, the air con grill which was fixed to the ceiling fell onto my mother who was sleeping below. The maintenance person was called who just happened to be our waiter.

The breakfast buffet consisted daily of bread, cheese, at times some meat, hard boiled eggs (no other choice of egg as no chef was around to cook), corn flakes and muesli, cake, watered down fruit juice and some odd pieces of fruit. One morning I decided on corn flakes - the milk had been left so long it had gone off. I plumpted for hard boiled egg on toast (a toaster was made avilable) - the egg was rotton.

Evening meals consisted of soup, a fish dish or a meat dish par-boiled and fried potatoes and some form of vegetable (only one choice). Salad consisted of lettuce, cabbage, cucumber and tomatoes. Most of the time my mother and I went for a blue cheese ommlette which really was nice as nothing else ever looked very fresh or nice. Drinks were only supplied with breakfast and all other drinks had to be paid for extra - even water with evening meals.

The restaurant was very small and only seated a small minority of the hotel guests at any one time. Staff were allowed to come along and help themselves to the food as well if they wanted to.

Waiting staff never replaced table clothes after each use and just brushed crumbs onto the floor before re-setting the table.

The sun terrace was very run-down and dirty and the jacuzzi had stagnant water in it. The shower in which you were asked to use before entering the jacuzzi was held up by a plank of wood.

The brochure boasts a number of features which doesn't actually appear or that cannot be used in which it describes in the brouchure including the Lounge Bar (only availble to purchase drinks with evening meal and not to enjoy a drink before or after meals) and the Pomodoro which does sell pizza and other hot foods (after 6pm).

On the plus side, the waiters were wonderful and always made us laugh and although the restaurant could use a complete revamp, it does boast a spectacular view.

by Bluerose104

I enjoyed my stay

"I spent 10 days at the Milano Due, in March, and enjoyed my stay.

The staff were very helpful and I had a marvellous view (photo attached) of Sleima Bay from my sixth floor balcony. My room was comfortable and I became quite fit as the lift was usually unserviceable.

The hotel is right on the esplanade and the bus stop is just opposite.

The room rate was cheap and I hope to return in the near future.

Howard England

Guernsey

by HowardGuernsey

Value for money

"We stayed in Milano Due twice, either side of a week in Gozo. We were a party of 5 staying in double and triple rooms and were allocated different rooms on both visits. On both occasions the bedrooms and bathrooms, while in need of an upgrade, were clean and perfectly adequate. For the price, less that £8 pppn including breakfast, we have no problem recommending this hotel for people who want to spend their time sightseeing etc. rather than in the hotel. The location is convenient, the views across to Valetta are good, the bus stop is just across the road, the ferry to Valletta is a short walk away and there is free street parking for those with a hire car. In the evenings there are a good selection of restaurants, cafes and bars in easy walking distance and benches on the promenade just across the road to take in the evening sunshine and people watch."

by DaisyWokingham

Lousy

"Don't bother! We were checked in by organising commitee for a sporting event taking place on the Island and promptly checked outselves out again moving next door to the Waterfront. This place hasn't seen a paint brush in years. The bedrooms are small and poorly lit and the fixtures and fittings haven't been replaced since the seventies judging by the condition of them. Our "room" overlooked the alleyway adjacent to the hotel and was directly opposite a set of offices - so no privacy at all. Really if you're in Sliema for a couple of days or even a week this place will only depress you so choose somewhere nicer to stay!"

by Alderwasley

Holiday Hell

"My husband and l have just returned from a week at the milano due hotel and would not recommend the hotel to anyone soon after arriving discovered the balcony door did not lock, the safe did not work, the air condtioning had been turned off end of Oct (not what we were told a the time of booking) one of single beds had a worn out mattress and the lift did not work a lot of the time (we were on the 5th floor) the resturant was closed and we had to use the cafe next door for both breakfast and evening meal as we were on half board. However, this was nothing compared to the food itself which was inedible l myself contracted a stomach bug after eating dinner on the second night l ended up going to a pharmacy who prescribed a course of medication which l am still taking a week later to ensure the bug has been eliminated totally. We did not eat any futher meals at the cafe attached to the hotel as we were to fearful of what we may contract further this in turn cost us in excess of 100 LR to eat in a decent resturant, despite having paid for half board The reception staff treated not only ourselves but also other guests with total indifference. The hotel should not be rated as 3 star. If anyone reading this has booked a room at this hotel or even worse booked on a half board basis please reconsider there any many hotels within the area which are of a much higher standard cancel and re-book even though this may involve additional expense believe me it will be worthwhile. In closing we would recommend the magic kiosk which is at the at the top end of the promonard the food is fantastic the chef their is first rate and the cost is reasonable. Previous reviews are correct the rooms are very small and in need of re-decoration

Maureen & Brian Tovey, Birmingham, England

by magichearts

Good view, not very good service

"At our arrival we got this tiny little room, with side view, but no balcony. The room paint was falling and lots of moist in the bathroom. While we showered the water got to our knees because it didn't drained very well. As we were staying for one week we asked in the front desk if they could give us another room. After several requests, the nex day they moved us to a front room, with balcony facing the strand. Better room, althouh it needs some painting as well.

Breakfast was basically bread, milk, coffee, 2 kinds of cake, cheese, butter, ham. If you arrive too lattle, the food starts to vanish and isn't replaced as quickly as guest start arriving. Most of the days me and my husband had to put the table ourselves.

As its cheap, probably you get for what you pay. The people in the front desk could be more friendly as well.

by Mokinha

Marvellous milano!!!!!

"I stayed in the mellano due hotel in sleima in July 2004 for 10 nights. First impressions were excellent as you walk into a marbel lobby and reception area. The staff were very friendly and helpful. On entrance to my room I found the rooms to be small and basic, but comfortable. I had a sea view which looked out over sleima bay.........It was stunning! the balcony was a good size and had a table with two chairs. The road that the balcony looked down onto was always busy but not annoyingly so and it was actually nice to sit and watch the world go by. There is a roof top hot tub at this property with a few sunbeds around it. not very good if you are taking kids who will want a pool. There is a lovely promenade directly outside the hotel where you can take a nice stroll along sliema bay. There are several bars and cafes with a 30 second walk from the hotel however, if you prefer a wider choice, then you would be best taking the lovely 10 minute walk into sliema with its many bars, restaurants and designer shops.

this is not really a beachy area although the nest resort along-st Julians has a couple of beaches, so not too far really.I would recomend this hotel if you are looking for a basic yet comfortable accommodation in a good location for shops and resturants.

If you are looking for something a bit livlier in the evenings then about a 20 min walk or a 5 min bus ride will take you to st julians which is fab for clubs and bars........

please feel free to e-mail me if you have any further questions.......

by A TripAdvisor Member

Good value good price

"This is a hotel for people who are more interested in location and are not going to be spending all day in the hotel!! While the room was small, it was clean and comfortable. The balcony overlooking Sliema Harbour made it worth any little inconveniences, and the street below, while somewhat noisy during the day with traffic, does not interfere with sleep if the balcony door is shut.

The buffet breakfast is very limited in choice, and does not vary at all. But it is fresh and healthy.

However, the staff at this hotel is wonderful !! Very friendly, helpful to the maximum. The nice thing about this location is that you are right at the harbour, and restaurants and shops are a ten minute walk away.

Bring your own soap and you'll be very happy here!!

by tourmanb

Good value and great location

"Good 3 star hotel. Excellent location on the Sliema waterfront with greatviews from the seaview rooms - very well worth paying the supplementfor these rooms. Check in / out was painless. Rooms are smallish but fineand maid service was good. Bathrooms are also fine. Rooms have a/c andheating, both controlled from within the room. Small breakfast room servingbasic but more than adequate buffet continental breakfast - grab as much as you want. No fridge/tea/coffee making facilities in room. Sat TV in room - CNN etc. Didn't check out the restuarant on top floor but other guests said it was good and the view at night across to Valleta is superb. Staff were unfailingly helpful. Lots of cafes/restuarants/shops with 1/2 mile. Well positioned for buses from Sliema to most anywhere on Malta. Taxi rank at hotel next door. Certainly not a Hilton or a Sheraton but excellent value and much cheaper. Would use it again. You can book the hotel through Travelscene UK as I did- rates are on their website. A personal observation - Malta is great as a low / middlish season destination - I wouldn't go in high season"

by A TripAdvisor Member