Temple Gate Hotel

Service: 8.5/10
Cleanliness: 8.5/10
Location: 9.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Temple Gate Hotel

great location but poor service

"we stayed in this hotel last November. The location is excellent, close to all of the fantastic restaurants & bars of Ennis all within walking distance.

Breakfast in the JM Bistro was chaotic none of the staff new or cared about what they we doing. Toast never arrived despite several requests and the cooked breakfast would arrive seconds before your porridge etc so that we ending up juggling a table of plates & cold food.

take care when selecting a room when a weekend function is likely - you won't get any sleep whilst party folk are using the toilets downstairs with the ever banging doors!.

I agree with a previous review on the smoking smells - any room above the outdoor areas where staff & guests exit to smoke will get the smell of smoking in their room plus quite a lot of noise.

the so-called famous Preachers Pub is a parody of what it should be- v disappointing.

by ronrae

Great Location

"Stayed at The Temple Gate Hotel for 1 night as we were attending a party in a nearby establishment. On check in we were greeted warmly by Anna on Reception.

Our room was on the recently refurbished executive wing, it was a beautiful room, clean, warm inviting and so comfortable.

Breakfast next morning was lovely, plenty of everything and polite staff.

Loved the Location of the hotel as its within walking distance of shops and pubs, so you have the convenience but not the noise.

Should we have reason to be in Ennis again we will most definately stay in this hotel.

by tipplady

Not bad

"This is an average hotel - nothing to complain about - but nothing to make it stand out either.

Rooms are a good size, standard decor, very central location right in the centre of ennis town.

All in all a standard hotel - could be great if they just went that extra mile.

by IrelandFirstClass

Is there more than one Temple Gate in Ennis?

"All these disparaging reviews I have read must be about a different Temple Gate Hotel in Ennis. We stayed 2 nights while on a 7 day tour & thought it was very nice. Our room was spacious, clean & comfortable. The staff was friendly & helpful. The breakfasts were okay, nothing exceptional. We would definitely stay again."

by A TripAdvisor Member

Dirty Dated Rooms, Nasty Carpet. Smell of Smoke!

"I'll post pictures upon my return... I'm so disappointed I had to post within 30 minutes of arriving.... The place is just that disturbing..."

by Atlanta_IBanker

Great 3 star hotel

"Great central location, cosy 3 star hotel that was clean and warm. Ideal for one or two nights to explore ennis - very reasonable price."

by Blueskiesireland

TERRIBLE customer service--Don't book this hotel online!!

"We were booked to stay at this hotel for one night before we returned to the States--but we ended up cancelling our reservation because we were offered free accommodation from some friends. I called the hotel with 48 hours notice and they told me that they could not cancel my reservation because I had booked online, so I had to cancel online. I reminded them that I did not make my reservation through a third party like expedia, but through the hotel's OWN WEBSITE!! I was rather put off, but headed for the nearest internet cafe to cancel my reservation--the last thing you really want to spend your vacation days doing. I paid 5 euro to log on to their site, I got the homepage, but the computer I was using didn't have the appropriate plug-ins to access the rest of the site!!!

So I called them back and told them about this experience and that I refused to continue walking around Ireland looking for a computer that can access their shoddy website. After keeping me on hold for much too long (had to hang up and call back since the cost of using your cell phone overseas is fairly expensive) they said they would cancel my reservation, but had to retain a 20 Euro booking fee!!! I balked, because this was not a part of the cancellation policy stipulated in my reservation, but additionally I was calling them 48 hours in advance, well within their 24 hour policy!! Only then did they cancel my reservation, but I'm waiting to see my credit card statement this month, because I have a feeling this issue may not be fully resolved as yet.

If the hotel management is reading this, I want you to understand how RIDICULOUS it is for you to expect a foreign traveler to go around to internet cafe's, trying to cancel a reservation. If you had accepted my cancellation without all this run around, I would have gladly visited your hotel in the future, as I am a regular traveler to Ireland, and your hotel is close to Shannon Airport, making it an ideal last night accommodation. As a result of your mindless practices, I will never again reserve a night at your hotel, and I will actively make sure to tell anyone I know going to Ireland to avoid your hotel at all cost.

by myszia

I am amazed...

"...that any tourists come to visit Ireland at all with the prices that hotels charge. I stayed 1 night (thank god it was only 1 night) in this hotel mid August 2007 and paid e160.00 for the night for 2 people including breakfast. The room was small and dingy and really old fashioned and the front desk staff were rude and arrogant. The bar was nice and the food was also nice but way overpriced. The breakfast was inedible and to my surprise the waitress didn't even ask what was wrong when we handed her back full plates of food. Now I know why I leave Ireland every year for my annual vacation and why I take European city breaks rather than take a weekend break in Ireland. Do yourself a favour and don't stay in this hotel."

by Celgirl