Unicorn Hotel

Good

Value: 7.5/10
Location: 8.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Unicorn Hotel

Enter your dates:

Poor value for money by rav323

This hotel could do so much better, but seems content with being tired and massively overpriced.

Awaiting us was a small Crossroads motel style room, with tatty wallpaper, cracked bathroom tiles and a damaged door frame where the wardrobe door wedged against the bathroom door frame. Yuck.

And as for the cheap cash 'n' carry toiletries....hello! I have stayed in B&B accommodation, at a fraction of the cost of this place, where the toiletries were luxury brands. Now THAT was customer service.

There are other hotels in the area (eg, Manor House Hotel, Moreton) who charge similar amounts but where the rooms are tastefully decorated, and by staying there, one feels relaxed and refreshed rather than ripped off.

Great weekend getaway by Ferris22

We stayed at the Unicorn for a weekend break; booked direct with the hotel on a DB&B basis.

The room (number 11) was spacious and very well appointed with the most fabulous shower (as we Brits know, water pressure in this country can sometimes leave a lot to be desired, but this was amazing. Had a lovely piping hot shower not long after we'd checked in on the Friday night and it certainly went a long way to sooth my tense neck and shoulders and help me get my break off to a relaxed start.

The food on the menu is exquisite. The Head Chef there is a real find and must be very proud.

The staff are all very courteous and professional and seem to have the knack of knowing which residents want to chat and those who want a bit of peace.

The location is great for a tour of the Cotswolds, being right on the Fosse Way. Some reviews have commented on the trafffic noise: Our room overlooked the traffic lights, opposite the car park and was a little noisy, but then the Fosse Way is a major route.....What can you expect? I really enjoyed this place and would definitely both recommend it and stay here again.

some rooms to avoid by traveller2608

We knew the location of the hotel well before we booked so were aware it's position right on the busy road running through Stow. Our experience of disruptive traffic noise was minimal.

We arrived about 9pm on a Friday night having phoned ahead to let the hotel know we would be late arriving and received a warm welcome at the front desk. We were allocated room 16 which is a standard double room and by far the smallest and worst in the hotel. The hotel was fully booked and before showing us to the room the helpful gentleman manning the front desk checked to see if other rooms were available. They weren't.

The room and bed is tiny and very uncomfortable and the toilet didn't flush properly. The next day on our request we were moved to a larger standard room 14 which was much better however still a little tired in it's decoration. On check out we expressed dissatisfaction at the difference in the quality of double rooms all sold at the same price. A refurbishment is planned but I would recommend asking not to be allocated room 16. I think this

same problem was experienced by another trip advisor too.

Despite this the downstairs of the hotel is fabulous and the bar and restaurant are lovely. The quality of the food at dinner and breakfast exceeded expectations and was only let down slightly by the standard of service at dinner. As a tiny point the hotel would do well to invest in some stands for wine coolers though as some tables are too small and dining is otherwise cramped.

The hotel's best asset is its reception and bar staff who were all helpful and professional and did well to make extra efforts to make guests feel welcome.

We would stay again but would pick our room carefully!

Ideal Location by Sues51

Have just returned from 3 nights here with my elderly aunt. We both loved it. Our room was large, the bathroom was clean, the only down side was the floor not quite flat.But what do you expect from a 300 year old hotel!!! Yes it is on a main road and our window was next to the trafic lights, but you could cut the noise by closing the double window and it worked. We slept alright and during the day we were out. We enjoyed our breakfast and dinner, you can't say anything more without gushing. Everyone was very helpful and we did get our luggage carried to our room. There is a car park, if you are lucky you can park outside the hotel, we managed it on 2 of our 3 nights. Stow is loverly and very central to the cotswolds. Would recommend it to anyone.

Lorry spotters paradise at The Unicorn by ncasjbakjb

I had thought that I had booked a "winner" with The Unicorn Hotel; having spent considerable time researching Cotswold hotels as we were keen to avoid problems.

The hotel stands right on the corner of a very busy "A" road - traffic lights, long queues of traffic with many huge lorries thundering in all directions. It only reduces for a few hours overnight. This causes problems apart from the noise, which is horrible; the main car-park is across the main road and there is no pedestrian crossing.

We narrowly dodged the racing traffic which is relentless in its apparent goal to mow people down! We had, of course, to drag our luggage after us - must be quite a comic sight to the drivers!!

On checking in, there was no help offered with luggage (three flights of stairs to climb and zillions of fire doors to manouver in narrow corridors). The first room was furnished nicely but needed re-painting. It was tiny, hot and noisy so we asked to change rooms - the second room was much cooler and quiter, still pretty small but not as bad as the previous one. Bathroom was ok with basic toiletries.

The restaurant and bar area is really nice and well set out, the "garden" is a narrow pathway leading to a rectangle of grass. There is outdoor seating, however, at present there is building work going on.

The meal was spoilt with our steaks being served lukewarm - returned reheated and tough, my one mushroom was also reheated...! This was after we were told that fresh steaks were being prepared.

Breakfast was fresh, delicious and thouroughly enjoyable (thank you Lucy).

Checkout was fine. We would not stay there again due to the traffic problems, however, if you are ok with that, then it is good value for money on a Laterooms B&B rate. I

Excellent Value for Money by A TripAdvisor Member

We stayed at the Unicorn over a Bank Holiday Weekend, an excellent Double room with en-suite bathroom for £140/ $250 with Dinner & Breakfast included.

We just needed a base in the heart of the Cotswolds to do some travelling around, and this was perfect. Food was very good, and the Restaurant was well full by 9pm.

Car Parking can be at a premium, but the Unicorn has its own Car Park just across the road, with ample room for everyone, and everything in the Town is just 5-10 minutes walk away.

Excellent food and friendly staff at Unicorn by A TripAdvisor Member

We stayed at Unicorn in April 2006. The food was excellent, rooms clean and comfortable, but what made our stay so pleasant was the staff.

They were all very friendly and helpful, we were made to feel very special throughout our stay, nothing seemed to be too much trouble.

Having seen some reviews of hotels in the area we were a little dubious about staying anywhere nearby, however I cannot reccomend the Unicorn highly enough.

The manager has a hotel to be proud of and staff who are a treasure.

We will certainly be looking to return soon.

stepping into history by A TripAdvisor Member

My wife and I spent a few days at the Unicorn. Outside, the weather was raw, but inside a fire was taking the chill off in the first floor sitting room. I can't recall when I had a better night's sleep. The bedding was "plump", cushy, very comfortable. The Unicorn was (in my wife's words) "cozy and enjoyable." Stow-On-the-Wold itself is an enjoyable walking tour or for those with a bike. I'd stay there again in a moment. Almost like a time warp if you let your mind and senses on the loose.

Olde Worlde Charm & Charactier by Catsterbarb99

I just spent the weekend at the Unicorn hotel, which was divine. We sat outside in the glorious sunshine served tea by charming and attentive staff. The breakfast was excellent - I can recommend the scrambled eggs! The rooms are characterful and clean while being well appointed and roomy. Stow itself is quite beautiful and centrally located to explore the most beautiful parts of the Cotswolds. I will have no hesitation returning to the Unicorn, next time with friends!

Memorable experience by A TripAdvisor Member

During a trip to London, I chose to stay at the Unicorn Hotel in Stow-on-the-Wold because of its central location to numerous Cotswold villages and its reasonable price. I was thoroughly pleased with the stay. While not 'fancy,' the hotel is clean, well suited to single travelers, couples and families alike. From the hotel, it is a very short walk to the main square of the village with its shops, etc.

There is a 'pub' downstairs that seems to attract all the locals and it is a very enjoyable and lively atmosphere.

From the hotel, it is an easy drive to some of the most beautiful countryside in England. The villages of Broadway, Chipping Camden, Upper and Lower Slaughter, are in the same general area. There are wonderful walks in the countryside along picturesque streams. Antique shops are everywhere.

Most worth a visit!

Read 131 additional reviews of Unicorn Hotel

Stayed at Unicorn Hotel? Share your insight.

Map for Unicorn Hotel Closest airport: Birmingham International (BHX) 36.2 miles