Holbeck Ghyll Country House Hotel

Value: 8.5/10
Cleanliness: 9.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Holbeck Ghyll Country House Hotel

A piece of heaven

"The prefect location for the views and such a wonderful setting , the rooms we had with full large windows on to lake windermere, wear unbeatable, the staff could not be more helpful and attentive. we had the full package with the breakfast and dinner, its one of the best food for dinner I've ever eaten , and have had some wonderful treats all around the world , this hotel and restaurant is one of the tops and l would challange any one who can fault it , would go back again and again.

James Hunter

Management response from Jennz77, 26 May 2010

Dear Mr Hunter, Thank you for taking the time to write such lovely review about your experience at Holbeck Ghyll. All the team were delighted to read that you had such a wonderful stay. We look forward to welcoming you to Holbeck Ghyll again soon. Kind regards Jenna Horsfall

by NAZARLondon

Hmm great hotel location,service could do with improvement

"Difficult to grade as the hotel itself is gorgeous,the view is amazing & our room was lovely.Me & my husband & my sister & her husband stayed over the bank holiday weekend.But very expensive for what you get.

Our problems were with the service.Only little things but they all added up. over 3 nights.

For instance there were no robes or slippers in our room on the first day.I did not say anything & they were there the next day.At no time were the shower gel or shampoo replaced,we had requested a late check out on our last day but the maid still knocked on our door 3/4 hour before(while my husband was about to take a shower & was undressed) & she could see directly into our room.Blushes all around,but she should have been informed of our leaving time.

my sisters room was very cold when they arrived & they had to call someone to sort out the heating.This took too long,the room should have been warm when they arrived.

In the restaurant they did not have a bottle of wine that was on the menu & when we ordered another one it was a different year than was stated on the menu. when my sister noticed & politely spoke to the waiter his response was not very good. Also when we were having pre -dinner drinks,all 4 of us,they only gave menus to me & my husband & seemed to ignore my sister & her husband.Then we asked for sparkling water & the waitress kept trying to fill our glasses with the normal water they serve,it got a little annoying.Again nothing major. The food itself was great.

At breakfast my cup was dirty so I got another one from a different table but that too was dirty,the 3rd one was fine.I did not mention this but it should not happen in a hotel of this quality & price. 2 days my husband was offered sauce for his cooked breakfast but one day he was not,& we could not see anyone to ask.All very minor issues & we are not complainers but at the price per night the service leaves a lot to be desired.There were a few more issues,all minor but they all add up.

We had tea & coffee in the lounge,which is lovely,but it took over 1/2 hour to come.

At breakfast,my sister had room service which they got wrong.,they forgot some things & added others on.

2 of the staff seemed to be having some sort of row on one day,in front of the guests & my husband saw another couple at checkout complaining.

Also the bed was very hard & I did not find it comfortable,but maybe this is personal choice.

The location is fantastic,views are spectacular, but the lack of attention to detail left a lot to be desired.

Management response from Jennz77, 17 May 2010

Dear Lily6 Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Holbeck Ghyll. We appreciate constructive criticism and I can assure you the various incidents you have highlighted above are seriously being looked into and dealt with. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. I can assure you the issues you have raised will not reoccur. We hope you will return to experience this superb service and give our team another opportunity to exceed your expectations. Yours sincerely, Jenna Horsfall Holbeck Ghyll

by lilly6

Probably the Best Boutique Hotel in the World

"I was really blown away by the service, the food the view and ambienence of this little Gem. It really was probably one of the best hotel expierences ever."

Management response from Jennz77, 17 May 2010

Dear ChadmanLimerick Thank you for taking the time to comment on your Holbeck Ghyll experience. The team are thrilled that you had great time. We hope to welcome you back in the near future. Kind regards, Jenna Horsfall Guest Relations

by ChadmanLimerick

Wonderful views, peaceful and lovely hotel

"The views could not be bettered - a perfect vision of Windermere and the hills beyond. Because it is away from the road it is peaceful and quiet inside and out. The reception area with its log fire is cosy and makes you want to spend all day curled up by it reading the paper. There are lovely walks straight out of the hotel down to Ambleside or up Wansfell Pike. Our room was lovely with huge comfortable bed and little sofa looking out over the lake. But don't expect complete luxury - the bathroom was small and a little faded and there are the odd stains on the ceiling where some water spillage has left its mark. The absence of tea/coffee making in the room was disappointing and a jug of the hotels own spa water would have been much more welcome than the carafe of sherry.

The food is first class - breakfast and dinner. And the service is warm and welcoming even if it misses the odd trick. So we did have a lovely time - it was not flawless , but we certainly enjoyed our weekend

Management response from Jennz77, 17 May 2010

Dear Kingmaker Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Holbeck Ghyll. We are delighted you had an enjoyable weekend, inclusive of breathtaking views, fine cuisine and attentive service. I am pleased to advise that tea and coffee making facilities in every room is currently being arranged. Thank you for your feedback it is truly appreciated, we take everything our guests say into consideration and I can assure you the small lacks in perfection (you have noted) are being worked on as we speak. We hope to welcome you back to Holbeck Ghyll. Kind regards, Jenna Horsfall

by Kingmaker

Wonderful relaxing break

"Met by a beautiful log fire, staff very welcoming. Room superb, food delightful. Arranged a lovely massage on the second day, nothing was too much trouble. Will definately returm, the views and countryside are magical. Would recommend.

June and Tony Dear

Management response from Jennz77, 17 May 2010

Dear Mr & Mrs Dear Thank you for the lovely review. The staff are genuinely grateful for your appreciation and pleased to read you had a nice time. We look forward to your return. Kindest regards, Jenna Horsfall Guest Relations

by junie2

Amazing food and view but let down by poor service at reception

"This hotel has the most extraordinary view from the rooms and delicious food imaginable but fell short of the service that is expected from a hotel of this calibre. I booked two nights for a very special ten year wedding anniversary (which disappointingly wasn't acknowledged at all by the staff, despite being asked the reason for my stay when I booked) but I never received confirmation of my stay which made me very nervous. I gave up asking after the third time of ringing the hotel requesting it.

On arrival, our room key was lost so after opening the door with the master key, the receptionist told us we would have to come back to reception later to collect it - not very professional. When later my husband rang reception to ask for more pillows he was told that housekeeping was shut now - it was only 9pm! Shame that the receptionist couldn't have tracked pillows down for us.

Our room had the most astonishing views of Lake Windermere and was beautifully laid out but the carpet was stained and the bathroom was in dire need of an update - who wants to use a faded, yellowing plastic whirlpool bath? Shower wasn't much better either. However, the girls who cleaned our room were amazing because the bathroom was absolutely immaculate.

I guess the real reason you would go to this hotel is for the food. Philip from front of house was amazing. He was charming and professional and provided really superior service, as did the staff in the dining room - it made for an incredible dining experience and obviously they haven't got a Michelin star for no reason!

So would I stay here again? Perhaps if the staff were trained to a higher standard (not a patch on the staff at the Devonshire Arms for example) and when the rooms have been upgraded - it just lacked that 'specialness' and missed the mark for the money we spent. It really annoys me that you have to query your bill at the end of your stay because the reception staff don't know what package you are paying for and therefore what is supposedly included in your stay. Philip swiftly came to our rescue and sorted it effortlessly and professionally- what a gem.

Management response from Jennz77, 17 May 2010

Dear monty67 Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your Holbeck Ghyll experience on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to read your lovely comments about Holbeck Ghyll’s cuisine, views, housekeeping team and of course Philip. However, we are concerned about your various, less than adequate, encounters with reception. Yet, we are glad that you took the time to bring these incidents to our attention. We want every possible aspect of our guests stay to be superb and when it is not we want to know why and how we can improve it. There is no excuse for the various ‘reception incidents’ that took place before and during your stay. However, I would like to inform you that following Holbeck Ghyll’s recent change of ownership there are a number of 'settling down' processes going on - the aim of which is to improve our guests experience in every way. This includes a new quality reservation system, which ironically is meant to ensure nothing is missed e.g. anniversaries, confirmations etc. This new system is a significant change for the team - up until the 19th April they were still using a manual paper chart. The understandable hiccups of a new system and the fact the reception team have had to learn this foreign computer system, while the hotel was still operating, meant the odd inexcusable mistake did occur. For this I can only apologise and assure you that everything has since settled down and there should be no such reoccurrences in the future. Overall we are glad the majority of your stay was enjoyable and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Holbeck Ghyll. Thank you again for your feedback. Yours sincerely, Jenna Horsfall Guest Relations p.s I have sent you a private email, if for some reason you did not receive it please do call me.

by monty67

Absolutely fantastic!!

"Superb meal and caring, attentive staff. This was our first visit and definitely not our last!! The meal was superb in all three courses, the view across the lake was a super setting for a wonderful meal. Thank you."

Management response from Jennz77, 17 May 2010

Dear TommyTaylor Thank you for taking the time to review your Holbeck Ghyll experience on Trip Advisor. The Holbeck Ghyll Team is delighted to read you and a wonderful time and look forward to welcoming you in the future. Kind regards, Jenna Horsfall Guest Relations

by TommyTaylor

Beautiful hotel, amazing views and excellent food.

"My partner and I stayed in a room 6 at the hotel for two nights and had a wonderfully relaxing time. The view from the private balcony was amazing and just added that bit of magic to our trip.

The food was amazing and an absolute delight to taste.

We were looked after extremely well by the staff and I have no hestiation in recommending this hotel to others and we will definitly be back again soon.

Management response from Jennz77, 01 Apr 2010

Dear Lecclescake Thank you for taking the time write a review. I must agree that the view from Room 6's balcony is something magical and one of the reasons it is one of our most popular rooms. The staff are delighted they contributed to the enjoyment of your stay and hope that they will be welcoming you back in the near future. Yours sincerely, Jenna Horsfall Holbeck Ghyll

by lecclescake

An experience to treasure

"Will have no hesitation in returning for another stay. Food excellent with a comprehensive menu and superb staff."

by ManchesterFettler

We stayed at the Holbeck Ghyll for a...

"We stayed at the Holbeck Ghyll for a long weekend in June.

The room was excellent and had fantastic views of Lake Windermere.

We ate in the restaurant and the food was excellent. My husband and I enjoyed a massage in the health spa and enjoyed the views and relaxation.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable.

I would recommend this hotel to people looking for a relaxing getaway, wedding venue etc. It was a very special stay!

by J Massey

Read more reviews of Holbeck Ghyll Country House Hotel at TripAdvisor

Map for Holbeck Ghyll Country House Hotel Closest airport: Blackpool (BLK) 44.2 miles