Moorside Grange Hotel

Service: 7.5/10
Value: 7.5/10

1 2 »
Spa Facilities?!! by helsbels65

My boyfriend and I have just returned from a short break. Upon entering the hotel we were met with a strange musty smell, which continued throughout the corridors. The reception decor whilst may have been grand 15 - 20 yrs ago desperately needs to be refurbished.

The room itself was dated and in places dusty,the bathroom was shabby - strips of masking tape(which were peeling at the end)were stuck to the bottom of the bath to prevent slipping!!

The Spa - Nothing luxurious about this! Having expected soft towels and bathrobes the changing room felt like a public baths. The spa itself - cold and uninviting, no soft lights etc - smelly sweaty steam room with cold seats. The relaxation room was a cold brightly lit room with sunbeds. This all desperately needs updating.

However despite the above the hotel location (beautiful views) the breakfast itself and dining room could not be faulted. Also the bar with its own piano player added a bit ambiance. We were on a deal but if paying the full price, I would certainly expect a lot more for my money and if advertising as a hotel and spa the Moorside Grange needs to get it's act together, because if you want a luxurious break you wont get it here.

Spa Break by Yvonne B

I stayed here with my daughter for a Spa break.

The hotel/health club staff were eager to please. Our room (though a bit too hot for our liking) was clean & had additional extras - hairdryer, Iron, Trouser press, a fan & body wash in the bathroom(nice touch) & it also had a notice that if u had forgotten anything (shampoo, shave foam etc)to call reception & some would be sent free of charge. Towels were provided in the health club (there are also body wash & body lotion & hairdryers too). We were also provided with free robes & slippers (new) for our spa treatments.

We had evening meal, breakfast & lunch (all included in our stay) & all meals were nice. Drinks are a bit on the pricey side (£3.20 for 2 small glasses of lemonade).

There isnt much phone reception & wifi was down when we were there .. but it made it more peaceful (I suppose).

Overall a very nice stay, reasonably priced & I would probably go again.

• Holiday details: Jul 2012, booked with Spa Select

Not up to much by fwoowoo

We spent 2 nights at the Moorside Grange after seeing if advertised in local press. Sadly i was disappointed with the hotel, the changing facilities in the leisure club were tatty, and there was a strange smell at one end of the swimming pool (!), we had a meal in the restaurant one night, which i could have done better myself. The prawn cocktail was tasteless, and my so called medium-rare steak was as stiff as a board, the only plus point was the desert, which i suspect was bought in on the evidence of the previous courses. The bar costs are also pretty steep.

Plus point - if you get a room looking towards Manchester then you have fab views, and it is ideal for exploring Buxton etc. The nearest village Disley has a train station with regular trains into Manchester.

Overall - a disappointment and would not recommend if an alternative was available

Dreadful! Horrible service. The... by R Harvey

Dreadful!

Horrible service. The Hotel I stayed in; "The Best Western Moorside Grange Hotel and Spa", was absolutely, without doubt, the WORST hotel I have EVER stayed in, and I have stayed in many!

At reception I was spoken to with absolute contempt, and left to stand waiting in the reception area for well over 2 hours. I was shoved out of the way by a member of staff (whom I later discovered was the Human Resources Manager, Ms Barton), the food I was served was cold, burnt, and yet raw on the inside, that which I managed to eat in the end gave me a severe fit of vomiting.

There were no disability facilities for my wheelchair-bound wife hilary, when I asked for assistance, I was told to carry her, or "make her walk". She was then reffered to as a "retard" and a "spack".

I found my room was not fit for a pig. The door hung slightly on it's bottom hinge, the bed was in a mess, and was visibly infected with lice. The toilet was filled with used condoms and cigarette ends, and the carpet, burned in many places. A dank, foul odour of fecal matter hung in the air, that caused me to feel nausious.

I would seriously NOT reccomend this hotel to anyone EVER.

I'd sooner sleep in the car.

I must stress with utmost imperative NOT to stay at the Moorside.

It really could not get much worse...

...Until you get the staggeringly large and unjust bill.

Lovely by LisaJayne84

A lovely hotel, very friendly staff & great service.

Would recommend this hotel to anyone, delightful stay.

Food and restaurant was super and rooms are done to a nice, bright and clean standard.

!! warning !! no longer a hilton hotel!!! by jjcarter

**BEWARE**

I only ever stay in good and well established hotels and Hilton is a chain of hotels I love for their quality and attention to detail.

This hotel was previously a Hilton and the standards were exceptional.... however, this is no longer the case.

Everything about this hotel is a dissapontment:

The service in the restaurants

The in-room ammenities

The lack of professionalism of the management

The prices for the hotel remain the same, but it seems the hotel itself has tried it's very best to cut corners to save itself money. It is so obvious, especially where the rooms and dining is concerned.

It is such a shame that Hilton sold this hotel. It used to be one of my favourates for it's beautiful location. Sadly this is the very last time I'll stay here.

Not good for food. by PhilCon

Stayed here for a night on a tour of the peaks. Ok for a conference type event but wouldnt recommend for anything else.

The Grange is set in fantastic surroundings - real peak district country. It has the bonus of a very nice pool/ jacuzzi complex etc... which started the trip off well.

The room was small-ish, but probably average for a chain hotel, also had a very noisy fan in the bathroom. What really let the hotel down was the restaurant. The staff took and age to seat and then serve us, in addition the evening menu was very limited. Breakfast fare was good but again the service was lacking.

If you're staying here - and if you are after a spa/ pool type stay then all well and good - drive into one of the villages and get some local food. Might not be as fancy but you'll probably feel better about it.

Fantastic young family retreat by choccybar

After getting lost a few times on our way to this hotel I realised I had the hotels phone number. A young girl on the other end of the phone saved us with her directions!

The kids (2 &3) were so excited when they realised our only neighbours were sheep! I must say it wasnt only the kids that were impressed with the location (not due to sheep!!) hills and fields everywhere-nothing else.

The pool was amazing, food and breakfast great. I saw on this site that someone else mentioned they couldnt get the food they wanted for their child- our kids decided their own menu every meal time- staff couldnt have been more helpful really!

Rooms lovely-no complaints at all-great standard of room. Again fantastic views.

Already booked to go back with my siblings and their kids for a christmas break.

mould on the walls by VW3

My wife and I just returned from a stay at Moorside Grange and were thoroughly disappointed. We had to change rooms 4 times just to get one that didn't have mould growing up the walls! Eventually they offered us a superior room which was only just big enough for us and our baby - at least there was no mould though!

Despite it saying in the brochure that the food is fresh and the chef can make to order, my wife asked for mash potato for my daughter's lunch. She was told that she couldn't have the mash unless she ordered the Sausage and Mash from the menu. When asked if this is because it was pre-prepared she was told "yes" - not quite what the brochure promises!

In the restaurant, my wife and I had to go and find the breadroles ourselves as the waitress disappeard when we arrived. A guest next to us asked what was in the hotpot, the waitress shrugged and said it was "just an average Hotpot" and it seems that this is "just an average hotel" it needs a complete overhaul to rid it of mould, replace broken furniture and re-paint peeling walls.

The spa is nice though with helpful staff and excellent creche facilities - although both of these are independently run. Over-all - not good!

Lovely hotel, lovely setting, lovely spa .... not so lovely staff! by Jazzgirl

have just returned from stay at moorside grange with my boyfriend to celebrate our anniversary and overall had a really lovely time. We stayed just the saturday night and i would definitly recommend this hotel .

We arrived on the Sat at about 3pm - reception staff were not that welcoming ( but hey we didnt come to spend time with the staff!) Our room was clean, tidy, quite small but nothing to complain about. We then went straight to the health spa and that was AMAZING! Fantastic facilities. There is a swimming pool (with a childrens area and adult lanes) jacuzzi, plunge pool, relaxation room , sauna, steam room and turkish health spa. Towels are provided by the spa and we spent 2-3 hours just moving from spa to sauna to jacuzzi and back again! Very very relaxing . My boyfriend has a bad back and the turkish health spa has hot stones to heal your aches!

We had dinner at about 8.30 and we were seated nicely in the restaurant but it was 40 minutes before anyone came back to us to take our food order or even wine order! 40 minutes! we had to go and chase the staff ourselves just to take our order. Whilst waiting for food we ate our bread rolls and the seats next to us rolls too! Food came quickly after that however they did forget about our desert and started tidying away the tablecloths around us and again we had to ask the staff what had happened to our food.

There is a a piano player in the lounge which is really nice and overall the hotel is really clean and pleasant and there is a nice atmosphere there.

Breakfast was good - plenty of food - full english, fruit, cereal, juices, yoghurts and its help yourself.

Overall i loved this hotel and its such a shame it rained as we were intending to go for a walk as it is in a beautiful location. The spa i think is the best thing about this hotel - only issue was with the staff at dinner . I would definitly go back !

P.s. Great jazz channel on tv radio!!!!

Great family break by Touristastic

Myself, my husband and young son stayed at Moorside Grange for 3 nights in early August 2006. We got a really good DBB deal on their website.

Having read some of the previous reviews, we wondered if the hotel would be really busy, especially in the restaurant. We only found this to be the case at breakfast on Saturday morning but it didn't put us off. The breakfast buffet was really enjoyable as there was so much variety of food and drinks. The food served at the evening meals was of excellent quality, well presented and very tasty. The food on the children’s menu was of the same high standard.

During our stay the hotel hosted a conference and two weddings, however none of these events made a real difference to our stay - not too busy, no loud noise. We also found the staff to be really friendly and helpful, especially with our one-year-old son.

We chose the hotel particularly because of the pool and spa facilities and they didn’t let us down. The pool was really big, although a bit cold at first, but worth it and there was a Jacuzzi next to the pool. The separate spa facilities included sauna, steam room, spa pool, Turkish heat room, plunge pool and relaxation room. There was also a gym, solarium and beauty treatment rooms. We were impressed with the family changing room which made the swimming experience a lot easier.

The hotel’s location is about 5 minutes drive from the A6 and gives easy access to the Peak District National Park and its attractions. It is very useful to have a car to get around the local area easily.

Our double room was clean and tidy and suited our needs. It also had enough space for the travel cot we brought.

The setting was beautiful and we had a relaxing and refreshing break. We would definitely visit again and would recommend it to others.

relaxing break by lakelandlady

We chose a four day break, DBB, at a really great rate. The room was small but clean and had a fab view. The hotel is in a peaceful location, with great walks. The staff were very helpful especially in the dining room and we felt very welcome. The pool is huge and we loved the jacuzzi. We would come again.

1 2 »

Stayed at Moorside Grange Hotel? Share your insight.

Moorside Grange Hotel also called

• best western higher disley
  • higher disley best western
  • moorside grange
  • moorside grange best western
  • Address: Mudhurst Lane, Stockport SK12 2AP, United Kingdom

Map for Moorside Grange Hotel Closest airport: Manchester (MAN) 10.4 miles

Top traveller tips for Moorside Grange Hotel
  • by Yvonne Bamber

" If you are planning on using the Spa facilities it is better to book with a Spa operator as most slots are taken this way. "