Rookery Hall Hotel

Good

Cleanliness: 9.5/10
Location: 9.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Rookery Hall Hotel

Rookery Hall is situated a couple of...

"Rookery Hall is situated a couple of miles outside the historic market town of Nantwich and approximately twenty miles outside Chester.

I feel that the hotel complex is aimed at the upmarket cliente, though I know that there are lower cost deals via Lastminute.com; perhaps there is some under occupancy?

The hotel comprises of old and new build accomadation, the old has character but is in need of some updating and modernisation programme, which I am told is currently in progress.

The room I had was only a few months old and had a fabulously up to date bathroom and television, yes there really was a TV in the bathroom! The room was good quality too.

The service was at best inconsistent and at worst inefficient or poor. There were lots of staff bustling about, sometimes ignoring you, or at times there were no staff at all. I did see some dishes stacked in a corridor from breakfast time-I saw them later the same afternoon having not been moved from the corridor.

The food at breakfast was adequate but there did not appear to be any formal order in the dining room; I did not see any dining room staff until 8.30am and I had been in there since 8.00am.I had afternoon tea, which was absolutely delicious and an experience not to be missed; beautifully served and the food was fresh from the oven.

I used the Spa facilities which were also nearly new, which gave a feeling of freshness about the place. The pool and the sauna were a great asset and I found them to be really relaxing. The overall experience was again let down by staff service; which was inefficient on the whole. I was not given a thorough induction which left me feeling a bit confused about how to get the best use out of the facilities. For example there were exercise classes that I was not informed about, appointments were available for beauty treatments, again I was not told about this, I was advised not to have my dinner in the brassarie as there were already a party of ten in at dinner time; that I should eat later to avoid waiting, I do not mind waiting in the least but a party of ten? Surely they could manage to cater for more than that in one sitting?

I had a Rasul mud treatment which was ok, but there was no adequate staff input into the experience’s was pretty much left to get on with it myself and when it was time to come out of the treatment area I was promised a look round the rest of the facilities, but this did not happen and the staff member in question never showed up!

Last but not least the staff on reception in the Spa seemed unwilling to speak, unless to huddle round in groups together, again ignoring the customers-I did manage a goodbye out of them but it would not have been forthcoming if I had not spoken first.

I did like the hotel but feel that the prices they charge are really not warranted unless they get their act together. It is expensive...under the circumstances not worth it to me.

by Oliver

What a disappointment

"What a disappointment!! This hotel has just had a vast amount of money spent on it and the rooms and facilities were fantastic. If only the service had lived up to the star rating. Reception was polite and helpful but the rest of the service left much to be desired.

Poor communications and lack of operational management seemed to be the root of the problem. The Spa was being run like a leisure club and there was no feel good factor about the place at all. With such great facilities there was the potential for a repeat visit but no way would I go back until management gets its act together.

by afe410

An undiscovered gem

"Great location with luxurious rooms given the average size of Engish hotel rooms.

USP is flatscreen TV in the bathroom at the end of the bathtub.

Healthclub use is included, and highly recommended.

Don't miss the massage at the spa or chunky chips at the spa brasserie.

Visit soon before the offers end.

by advum

Beautiful hotel

"We stayed at Rookery Hall for 2 nights at the beginning of August. The hotel is set in lovely grounds and as well as the original building they have just opened a new spa and pool and a block of new executive rooms.

We initially started off in a standard room which was large and comfortable and situated in the main building. However I had read somewhere that the rooms had plasma TVs, ultra modern bathrooms etc which this room did not have so we asked for an upgrade to an executive room. We were given a complimentary upgrade. The only downside was that the room was in the new block and therefore not olde worlde. But you can't have everything so we opted for mod cons over the more traditional room.

We had a 42" plasma TV in the room, a beautiful bathroom which had a groovy separate shower and a bath with inbuilt TV screen in the wall!

We were lucky enough to be there on the only 2 days in the whole of the 'summer' when the sun was shining! We ate in the hotel on the 1st night. The food was beautiful but very expensive. The drinks were extortionate! I had to check the bill on check out as I could not understand how it had gone up so much. £14 for 2 drinks from the bar [ vodka lemonade and jd and coke ]

We got a really good deal thro Thomas Cook superbreaks. £57.50 pppn BB. [Same price with late rooms] but we spent the same amount again on drinks and dinner!

We ate in Nantwich the 2nd night and had a beautiful chinese meal for half the price. Place called Chopstix. I would highly recommend it. Small and intimate, very nice decor and fantastic food. The town is only 5 mins down the road. If we'd known how close we would have taken a taxi.

We used the pool while we were there. Very nice with sauna and steam room. Didn't have time for any treatments but the spa looked lovely too. There is a brasserie in the spa which was a lot cheaper than the hotel restaurant. Food looked nice but small menu and small but informal eating area.

I would definitely stay here again. We had a very relaxing and enjoyable stay. It pays to shop around for price though!

by Jane.Backhouse

4.8 great stay - recommended

"I would reccomend this hotel. I booked an executive room in the old building for 1 night. We stayed in the September room, it overlooked the front gardens/drive and was of a very nice standard. 2 large windows, big bathroom, flat screen tv nice contempory styling. The stay was to celebrate my partners 30th Birthday and the staff made it great! We called room service requesting champagne glasses and another bathrobe they arrived within a few minutes, I asked James the restaurant manager to bring the surprise cake out at the meal and the cake was accompanied by a serenade by a guitarist - it was all magical. I would recomend dining in the restaurant the service and food are second to none! The new spa is great the staff there are v attentive and the facilities are great. We didnt have a treatment as they were fully booked so try to book in early. They have a nice brasserie and seating area in the spa too so you can laze the day away reading the papers /magazines. we are planning to go back as it was a great relaxing break and the staff are really good at service"

by supahotchick

Romantic Break

"Stayed at Rookery Hall 14/07 for a Romantic Break - very enjoyable room was fantastic, food and wine was excellent - staff how ever a little miserable. Don't get me wrong they were not rude, just not many smiles and customer warmthness seemed to be available.

The hotel is steeped in history and you can enjoy some great walks in the area. There is a new Spa that has opened and I suggest you take advantage should you visit - the pool is great.

I would visit again as the hotel is a really lovely place, but do'nt expect to much in the way of conversation from its employees they seem to be a little oppressed.

by mangolady

A good night's sleep!

"A nice comfortable hotel in a quiet location. I was travelling on business and paid about £90 including breakfast. I arrived too late in the evening for the restaurant and enjoyed a sandwich from their "lounge menu". After that I should not have eaten again for at least a week... ....but after a good night's sleep I enjoyed a very nice and freshly cooked breakfast - without a boil-in-the-bag item in sight! The room was comfortable & spacious. The hotel is a little old-fashioned, with radiators in the rooms for heating. I prefer that to more modern hotels with fan based heating and air-conditioning which tends to keep me awake. Staff were freindly & helpful. Overall good value for money."

by TravlinTiger

Get married here! Can't praise this hotel Enough

"Well, I am a little late in writing this so apologies to all at the hotel staff! I got married in November at Rookery Hall. We had our Wedding on a Friday in November so got a good rate and hired out the whole hotel. We charged our guests to stay in the rooms so this limited the cost to ourselves.

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. It is a beautiful venue - think winter wedding in old country house hotel with fantastic sweeping staircase and log fires, and the hotel staff are amazing. They cannot do enough for you, nothing was too much trouble. I wanted to get married in the big Georgian room aswell as having the wedding breaksfat in there and then in the evening have the chocolate fountain and bacon butties in there too. So, they had to change the room 3 times for me - but this was not a problem. I gave them precise instructions eg wanted candlelit tables/ all fires lit - and they were only too happy to oblige, aswell as making recommedations of their own. Also, if you do get married here - I highlighy recommend the Virgin makeup artist they use aswell as the florists - really nice people and great at their job. The food was fabulous and I know I said it once already - but the staff were amazing. I cannot recommend it enough. Rooms were beautiful and I have some amazing wedding photographs aswell as some incredible memories.

Love this hotel. Love it, love it, love it. LOVE.IT.

by Deste

Truly the best day of my life - fantastic hotel!!

"I got married at Rookery Hall on 15th April 2006 (ceremony and reception) and the cliché of your wedding day being the "best day of your life" proved to be true. The hotel staff were so helpful from the beginning of the planning stages all the way through to the wedding day itself. The hotel setting is superb, the food delicious and the staff are warm and friendly. We stayed in the honeymoon suite which was beautiful but we also got to see a lot of the other rooms too which looked lovely. We have also dined in the restaurant prior to our wedding and enjoyed a beautiful 3 course meal there. Highly recommended!!!"

by Totty8

beautiful and exquisite food

"we went to rookery hall as a valentines treat, and it was wonderful.

driving up to it, the hotel is a beautiful period building. we stayed in the main building and the room was lovely. it was nicely spacious, with a good sized and beautifully decorated en-suite bathroom which had speakers linked to the tv in the bedroom.

the dinner, in the beautiful old dining room, was exquisite, with a range of amazing starters, main courses and desserts, available a la carte. it is expensive, but the food reflects this and the price is worth it. however, the only thing we would say is that the lack of music was a little frustrating.

overall we had a really indulgent stay

by mitchell01

A fantastic hidden secret

"Driving up to the entrance - Rookery Hall is certainly an impressive and imposing piece of architecture - tucked down a rural lane on the outskirts of Nantwich.

Stayed in the main building on the ground floor which we thought may prove to be a nightmare as there was a wedding breakfast happening about 4 doors down. However, by the time we had returned from our absolutely fantastic meal everyone had moved to the Coach House and barely a sound could be heard.

The meal itself really was first class and the one night for the 2 of us. Bed breakfast and dinner @ £125 I felt was more than worth it. Looking at other reviews I think it shows that it pays to shop around and barter with the price. I was originally quoted over £200.

by NVLN