Madeira Regency Palace Hotel

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Madeira Regency Palace Hotel

Enter your dates:

1 2 »
Tired and Worn Out and Disappointing by dottyconnection

We had a 2 bedroom apartment for 2 weeks this August (2011) on an RCI exchange holiday and it is not what you would expect of a 5 star resort - the apartment furnishing and fittings are stained, tired and worn out as are the hallway carpets.

The mattress on the bed in the master bedroom had a massive split down the side of it and when reported to the timeshare reps we were told that there was nothing they could do about it as hotel was full. We also spent most of the 2 weeks with a bottom sheet that didnt reach the bottom of the bed by a long way.

The hot tap on the shower/bath did not work when we arrived although it was fixed promptly, the shower head was tiny, so was really difficult to wash my long hair and get the shampoo out and the shower head kept sliding down the pole.

There was also mold growing behind the taps and around the side of the bath which could have been easily cleaned by the daily maid service. The patio door made a dreadful noise when openning - This was also fixed promptly. They obviously they didnt do a very thorough pre check-in check.

As we were self-cater, the utensils and appliances in the little kitchenette were not sufficient for 6 people, although we only had 4 of us. On the 2 ring hot plate you could not see the numbers to determine whether they were on or how hot there were - it was a case of turning the knobs and hoping our breakfast would cook.

We were on the side of the hotel (as we weren't owners/members so weren't entitled to a pool & seaview room) and had a view of the neighbouring apartments and their carpark although we also had a a partial seaview and it was very quiet.

Having visiting this resort on a couple of ocassions previously I was very disappointed that they haven't maintained it to its original standard and that they now exclude RCI exchangers from getting pool view rooms, hopefully other resorts are treating the regency palace owners with the same contempt,but I doubt it.

The pool could do with a thorough clean or re-tile as when you looked in the water they were black flecks all over the bottom of the pool. The pool closed at 7 which seemed very early and the pool staff started to whip away the umbrellas and sun bed mattresses very quickly. As we tended to go to the pool later in the day as it was cooler and easier to get a sun-bed and umbrella we didnt appreciate the pool staff starting to clear away as early as 6.

The island itself is beautiful and there is a lot of mountain driving so if you are scared of heights it is not the place to go.

The people are very friendly and welcoming and there are loads of reasonably priced restaurants, 2 people can eat a 3 course meal for between 40 and 60 euros a night. We didnt eat at all in the hotel so can't comment on their food.

• Holiday details: Aug 2011, Room Only, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Either Hire a car or do several of the Island Trips, there is some impressive and beautifuly scenery

Madeira Regency Palace Hotel by dreena52

The hotel could do with a bit of TLC, carpets were stained and torn in places, a lick of paint needed in places. The room was light and airy with a good sea view, the bed was two single beds put together. The buffets were not good, on the seafood night, it was tinned sardines and crabsticks, in a country with ample sea food, this was very poor. The indoor pool was supposed to be 24 degrees, but it was quite cold.

The things to be aware of is the so called security, in the rooms is a safe which is opened by the same key that opens the door to the room. We had over £300 sterling stolen, the hotel were very rude and indignant, saying it had not happened before and we could call the police but we would`nt get anywhere, the attitude of the assistant manager that was on duty was terrible. We are taking it further. We would certainly not stay at that hotel again but will definately go to Madeira again and stay somewhere else.

One thing to be careful of is the toboggan ride from the Botanical Gardens, what you are not told is they do not go all the way down, so you either have a very steep 5km walk to the bottom or get a taxi which just happen to be waiting at the end of the run.

A very pleasant stay. by Denis J

I read many reviews prior to our two week stay at the Regency Palace which provided a concensus that the hotel was more akin to a 4.5 star rather than the advertised

5 star. Having now returned I can now willingly add my thoughts. The hotel was a very nice quality hotel with all the facilities you would expect from a 5 star hotel. There were many large pluses and some generally small minuses. The hotel is just 11 years old, very attractive and in a very good spot near the sea with wonderful views. Access can be a bit challenging due to the steepness of the site, many steps!. From earlier reviews I expected a hotel which was tired and in need of refurbishment. I didnt find that at all. It looked fresh and well maintained, even at this stage of the (long)season. Perhaps some carpets in a few areas would benefit from a clean but these were the exception. The staff and service was very friendly and professional and deserved the praise other guests volunteered. The hourly courtesy coach into Funchal was first class. The food was of a high standard and with a very wide choice. Nothing was too much trouble for the catering staff. Rooms were pleasantly large and well serviced. Entertainment was good with a wide variety of singers, dancers and piano music, even through breakfast!. The hotel was only about 30% occupied during our stay so there was never a rush for poolside beds or dining tables of which there were many. My one significant complaint is regarding bar prices. They were very steep indeed even for a hotel of this standing. They were over double the prices charged by some local restaurants and bars. This had the effect of many guests just not using the bar very much or just buying one or two drinks and sitting them out until the music finished at around 11oclock. Towels were of a poor standard. No WIFi in rooms?. Only two internet terminals in the hotel which were always busy. In summary there were far more positive things to say about this hotel than negatives. I would definately recommend this hotel and very willingly revisit. Overall I assess the hotel as a very good 4.5 star.

• Holiday details: Nov 2010, Full board, booked with Saga

Wonderful views, excellent rooms good... by ladyowl

Wonderful views, excellent rooms good food. Super Madeira. We had a 2 bedroom appartment with balcony and sea views. The service was very good. Madiera is a lovely Island, we had a taxi driver for the day for Euros 105...he took us where the coaches wouldn't go, to local restaurants and small local shops. We were there for the Flower Festival which was magnificent. Our 2nd time in Madeira and would go again.

My wife and I regularly visit Madeira... by G Delaney

My wife and I regularly visit Madeira and always stay at the Regency Palace. We have been visitors since 2000 and the beauty and friendliness of the island and its people never seems to diminish.

The Regency Palace is a beautiful hotel built in the Portuguese colonial style. We have stayed in a one bed roomed and two bed roomed apartment and have not been disappointed in either. The facilities of the hotel are well kept and the staff unobtrusively attentive. We have noticed that the same staff are there each year which would indicate that they are happy with their work as there is not a high unemployment rate on the island.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone if they want a beautiful holiday without the normal quota of drunken louts to spoil your enjoyment.

Everyone should go once and make their own mind up.

Madeira Regency Palace/ Great Week by MichaleenOgeFlynn

My wife and i have just returned from a wonderful week in staying in above hotel. Our room was very clean with balcony and sea view.[no problems with smells or bottling plant] Staff always friendly and helpful. outdoor and indoor pools good. My wife found the gym excellent and we were often the only guests using indoor pool, jacuzzi, steam room,sauna.Hotel is a few kilometres fron funchal town and hotel transport is provided. However being walkers we spent most of time on foot but walking can be hilly for those less nimble on their feet.Weather was superb and we enjoyed a Beer in evening at hotels beach bar watching sun go down[bliss]

Madeira really is a lovely island and we look forward to returning soon.

The best music of madeira with Cristina and Gil by patuxa

Really fabulous!!!Try it!! Entertainment is fantastic..The singer Cristina is the best in town. It's a shame she only sings on mondays. You must see her. And the hotel, oh god s wonderfull. The food and the staff is unique. The swimming pools are beautiful and clean. The temperature of the water is very nice.

We stayed a week but next year we want double.

Honeymoon retreat by A TripAdvisor Member

My husband and I stayed at the regency in August 2005 for our honeymoon. We had read several reports that had highlighted concerns with regard to the bottling plant and where somewhat concerned. On allocation to our room we were disappointed to find that we overlooked the offending site, but in all honesty we did not find it a problem. There was no noticeable odour and the noise was of a minimal level (and yes we are sensitive to noise living in the middle of no where in the uk). The room was beautiful, well furnished, clean and maintained to a high standard. My only regret was that we had not informed them that we were newly weds and would like a double bed as apose to two singles pushed together which apparently they will provide if requested (an over sight on our side). The staff were polite and coutious the only complaint was at times they they were overly keen to please (that probably says more about me than them). We did find the prices within the hotel a little steep but we were able to find cheeper options within 10 mins. wander of the main hotel. Any problems we had trying to work out the electrical items were quickly resolved by asking the ever accomadating staff. Althought he food was a little pricey for our budget, when we did eat in we found it to be well presented and very tasty. Although the vintage bar had limited opening times and I have no real interest in cars it was still a pleasent environment to relax and interact with other guests. One of the reports suggested that staff allocated the pool side beds yes they did but they also worked hard to move the beds together and to an area you would prefere to be seated. The most annoying aspect was those infernal guests who bagged their bed for the day and then begger off out I thought five star guests would have had five star manners. Maderia isd a beautiful island with much to offer. We found that the best way to explore it was to hire a taxis for the day especially if can share with aother couple for approximately 90 Euros you can dictate where you want to go and how long you wish to stay at each venue - much better than an organised coach trip. We fell in love with the island and the people it was like going back in time when manners mattered, swearing and crime were not exceptable and you wre made to feel welcome. My only advise is if you dont have good walking legs the hills are steep where ever you go on the island but then thats what makes it so beautiful.

It could get better by A TripAdvisor Member

We stayed at the Regency Palace for the Flower Festival week (24 April - 1 May) and were surprised that there was no information about this Festival available at Reception or elsewhere in the hotel. Our room was delightful, well designed and well furnished, with a superb balcony overlooking the gardens and swimming pools, and with a view of the sea. However, the carpets were so dirty we wouldn't walk on them with bare feet. One of the dining chairs was badly stained, as was the base of the sofa. The bath towels were thin and worn, as was the bedlinen, and as for the rubber undersheets - well that's a bit of an insult - not what one expects from a 5 star hotel. The hotel was too far away from the best restaurants, cafes, etc, and the booking system for the courtesy bus was a joke - how we felt for the coach driver who had to stop the rush every day. We found the local buses and taxis far more civilised. The staff were delightful, friendly and helpful, but there is obviously nomoney being spent on maitenance. We certainly wouldn;t stay at the Regency Palace again, but would visit Madeira again - a beautiful, varied island.

Fantastic pools, loved the balcony, but NOT bathroom. by AnnetteF

Stayed at the Regency three days early January, got an internet deal for EUR 70, and the hotel was WELL WORT the price. Got a room with full sea view, best enjoyed from the balcony, which has very nice wooden furniture. The room was huge and bright, with a massive bed, very comfy, nice colours and comfortable furniture. Although I prefer the trendy "design hotels", the classic style worked for me at this hotel. The bathroom however was not too my taste at all, a little dark with dirty colours. After taking a shower there would be a pool of water on the floor impossible too get rid of, even if the waterpressure weren't the best. The hot water was only luke warm, (whch makes me think about germs blossoming in the tank...We weren't able to flush the toilet at first, however this was fixed within 15 minutes of contacting the reception. The room was clean, the pools even cleaner. The breakfast buffet amazing, you should try the figs! I didn't mind the butan plant, we could only see the far corner of it, and the noise was totally bearable, the smell (or lack of!) even so. I have one "smelly" complaint tho, and that was the smell of mould of the bed blanekts. I understand it is humid at a hotel so close to the sea, but any blaankets etc should be discarded at the faintest smell of mould, and it was quite noticable. I got the bed blanket changed, but I still felt whiffs of mould, but it was probably just stuck in my head and nose! All in all we were very hapy with our stay at Regency Palace, however I would not call it a five star hotel.

Everything at this resort was well... by J Egdell

Everything at this resort was well maintained and of excellent quality. Staff members were very helpful and friendly. The courtesy bus into Funchal was useful and the local bus service was good value if you didn't want to wait for the courtesy bus.

The restaurant was more expensive than eating out but worth a visit at least once during your holiday. The three swimming pools had plenty sunbeds and lots of space around them so we never felt overcrowded.

We underwent the timeshare sales talk as part of our holiday deal and there was no pressure applied. They explained what was on offer and we could say either yes or no without any pressure. I have to say that the standard of the hotel facilities put more pressure on us to buy than the sales staff did.

Looking at the other reviews for this hotel it is obvious that the review which mentions crossing a bridge into the neighbouring Carlton is in fact referring to the Regency Club and not the Regency Palace. I trust that the website maintenance staff will reallocate that review to the correct hotel.

I would have no hesitation in recommending the Regency Palace to anyone and have already done so to several close friends.

Difficulties with the palace by A TripAdvisor Member

On the first sight of the palace it looks terrific, however if you have cardiac problems don' try to walk up the access roads.

It is quite far out of the main town, probably too far to walk but they do run a good shuttle bus service and you are within 10 mins walk of the new Forum Shopping Mall.

Heres the crunch, AVOID! any room facing either the front or front west elevation, the Air Conditioning Plant situated at ground level facing these elevations, is akin to a diesel Engine locomotive running in a railway station and they have had the problem since the hotel opened, you will not sleep! and beware, during the day, because it is not under full load you will not notice it.

Apart from that it is a fabulous hotel with great facilities and an elevated pool area, with several pools

1 2 »

Stayed at Madeira Regency Palace Hotel? Share your insight.

Madeira Regency Palace Hotel also called

• madeira regency palace
  • regency hotel funchal
  • regency resort funchal
  • Address: Estrada Monumental 275, Madeira 9000-250, Portugal

Map for Madeira Regency Palace Hotel Closest airport: Funchal (FNC) 10.7 miles

Top traveller tips for Madeira Regency Palace Hotel
  • by Denis J

" First visit to Madeira. Civilised, clean, laid back without any louts in sight. Suits mature travel "