Chilston Park Hotel

Cleanliness: 8.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Chilston Park Hotel

Enter your dates:

dissapointed by nanacool

We arrived on friday night, we were greeted by the friendly reception staff, little did we know this would be the highlight of our stay, we entered our room, it was clean if rather small and the bathroom should be recorated as it is a little outdated.

we were phoned the previous day to ask if we required an evening meal, a time of 9.30 was arranged at this call as the hotel was very busy, on arrival the reception staff arranged a restaurant booking of around 7.30, we had pre dinner drinks and ordered our meals in the lounge, on entering the restaurant, a total of 6 tables were occupied. starters of scallops and foie gras,ok to be generous, main course, my husband ordered venison and I the filet, these were delivered to our table, we were told it was lamb and venison, i explained i had not ordered lamb, after inspection the waiter assured me it was my beef, after i had stared in disbelief at a chunk of venison infront of me i politely swapped our courses over, this course unfortunately was not in any way better than the first, pudding, I had given up hope, my husband however pressed on, creme brulee, uninspiring. Off to bed, in the hope of a good nice sleep!!

At 12am i phoned reception asking at what time the unannounced wedding

reception was to finish, he did offer another room, but assured me it would be finished soon, so i took his word for it and stayed in the room given to us, around 1.30 it eventually went quite. I do not blame the wedding party, i wish them every happiness for the future, just dont understand why the hotel failed to inform us of a wedding party and why they put us in a room were they knew we would be disturbed, customer service, is it a thing of the past in this hotel?

Another day, Saturday, we chose not to take breakfast,as we prefered to catch up on our sleep, we both had a shower, just luke warm verging on unbearable, with no water pressure. pleasant it most definately was not

we ate out of the hotel that evening, we returned to the room and did have a good nights sleep.

Sunday morning we chose to take breakfast, we were politely shown to our table, offered juices tea and coffee which were bought to our table, we ordered kippers with lemon butter and salmon and scrambled eggs, two full english arrived, once AGAIN they were told this was not the food ordered and the food was taken away. Finally my kipper arrived, unfortunately no lemon butter, my husbands salmon and scrabled eggs looked like the chef had slapped it on the plate. unfortunately at this stage in our stay i was not dissappointed, resignation was all i could feel.

to summarize our stay at Chilston Park, lovely situation, which we feel the chain are over reliant on, if you chose to pay over £30.00 for a single main course you expect it to be of a good standard, as you would expect all the meals to be at such a hotel. Also a hot shower and a good nights sleep should not be considered an afterthought. if luxury prices are charged, luxury service should be delivered, unfortunately none of these were provided at our stay.

great country house hotel by liffey

weekend break for anniversary and wanted a hotel near to Leeds Castle. difficult to find as off the beaten track but setting is beautiful.

hotel in very pretty grounds, with lake and swans. pair of swans and chicks made everyone laugh by trying to enter the hotel and were very gently escorted off the premises by staff.

very welcoming reception staff and service was excellent throughout our 2 day stay.

room was at front of hotel in main building overlooking lake and was just what we were hoping for. old style elegance with huge bathroom and wonderful view over lake. the view in the morning with the mist over the lake and the wildlife was magical.

the bar area was set in old hall area with large squashy sofas and great atmosphere. dinner was superb and the service excellent.

walked around grounds and lovely gardens, full of mature trees and very well kept.

staff printed directions for us whereever we wanted to go. lovely village a few minutes drive from the hotel with lovely pub.

there were rooms built off the main building around a courtyard which was very prettily lit at night.

very pleasant stay and everything we expected in a country house hotel. elegant accommodation, wonderful service and beautiful scenery.

• Holiday details: Jun 2010, Breakfast Included, Booked Independently
  • Advice: perfect country house break

Not bad, but not good value by andygeering

We stayed as part of a wedding reception, so didn't actually CHOOSE to stay here...

The grounds are really nice, it's a lovely part of the world.

Our room was above old stables, which sounds lovely, but the corridor leading to the room is so slanted, you cannot stand upright.

Once the outside bar closed, we used the bar inside the main building, but the barman was so drunk, he kept dropping the glasses....!

The drinks were mega expensive, and overall the hotel is just too expensive for what service/ facilities you receive.

Romantic birthday by CaptianRic

Well worth the price!

Took partner there for her birthday-we loved it. Food is great, although don't go hungry.

Rooms are huge and very plush, flat screen tv, chaiz-lounge and good views of the surrounding countryside.

Rooms are looking tired by wards

This was our fourth visit and it is not the hotel we first went to. The staff are still very charming and the food has always been of an excellent standard . But the rooms seem to fading fast this time we stayed in Miss Marple which is small and very dark and has a view over the rubbish bins and bottle banks !! It is the little things there was peeling paper in the bathroom and the tie back hooks were missing on the curtains and now held on with just safety pins and the carpet looked like it needed a good clean !!

Come on management don't let this charming hotel down we don't want it to become just another wedding factory were repeat clients like us do not count !!!

Valentines Night Flop by disillusioned_8

I booked the Chilston Park Hotel for a romantic Valentine's night with my husband en route to a weekend in Bruges. As part of our stay we should have had a bottle of wine in our room on arrival, but after three requests we were eventually given a bottle at checkout next morning!!

We paid £55.00 each for the special Valentine's meal and after being told that the beef was off the menu I ordered lamb. The lamb was terribly overcooked and definitely not what you would expect from a 4 star hotel and we got the impression that they were not coping very well with the number of diners that evening.

The hotel building itself is lovely but a great deal of money needs to be spent on refurbishing, as even with the dim lighting in the bedrooms and main reception rooms, you can see that money needs to be spent on updating the property.

One of the greatest letdowns of this hotel is that the quality of staffing is very low. If you are going to run a 4 star hotel you need to employ a higher calibre of staff.

Unfortunately we will not be returning to this hotel or recommending it to our friends.

Rather disappointing by globetrotter059

My husband and i had a business meeting early in the day in Maidstone in Kent and, not being local, we decided to stay down there the night before.

After searching "luxury hotels in Maidstone" on the web, I chose Chilston Park having read the descriptions (on the hotel's website) . I could not find any reviews on trip advisor so decided to book anyway.

I rang the hotel direct and was put through to reservations, made the booking for 18th February, one night only bed & breakfast in an "executive double room".

When i received my confirmation e-mail , luckily i read it carefully , as the booking was confirmed for 18th March, not February.

I rang to explain and was told that they could not put me in the same type of room on 18th February (it was insinuated in the phone call that it was my fault that the date was wrong, not the reservation department). I had to upgrade the room and even though i asked for the same rate to apply as the original booking, it was refused. I then asked for a proportion to be discounted from the new rate (£60 more expensive) and this was also refused. It was a real case of "take it or leave it".

When we arrived and booked in we were just given our key. We were not asked if we needed help with our cases, we were not told how to get to the room.

We booked in for dinner and came down to the bar about half an hour before dinner for a drink. We both had a glass of champagne, but my husbands glass was completely flat. When he pointed this out to the restaurant manager who had served us, she said she had thought it was flat when she gave it to him. She did change it.

Our dinner was ordered. Before it was served the one of the waiters came and informed us that the chef's chipping tool was broken so we would have to have mashed potato, not the chips we had ordered. My husband joked "can't he cut chips with a knife, does he really need a gadget ?", but the foreign waiter just nodded and smiled !!

The starter was nice, but the main course, complete with mash, not chips, was barely warm (although tasty). The people at the table next to ours also complained that their meal was cold.

My husband chose cheese to follow his main course. It was in the menu as a selection of five cheeses or a "taster from the whole cheese board". My husband opted for the five cheeses - and was only given four !!

All in all we were very disappointed.

The hotel itself is an amazing building, our room (suite) was right up in the eaves of the roof and was huge. It had a twin room, a dining area, lounge area, bathroom and double bed room and lovely views out over the lake. However, everything seems drab and a little grubby. The floor level was so undulating that it almost felt like walking on a boat deck in rough seas - you didn't know how far down your foot was going to go before hitting the floor ! In the bathroom there was a difference in the floor level of about 12 inches from one side of the room to the other (about 12 feet).

The one positive thing in the whole experience was the waiter who served our dinner (Gianluca). Although, not completely fluent in English, he was good enough to be able to chat with and have a bit of a joke. He was most apologetic about the main meal being cold and was extremely attentive without being too fussy.

We wouldn't go back to this hotel again. The staff (apart from Gianluca) were not bothered whether they provided the guest with a service or not. Most were young and didn't appear to have any people skills.

We were lucky enough to stay in the Fawsley Hall Hotel (near Daventry) a few weeks ago and the difference was just incomparable. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and the surroundings were clean and bright.

If you are given a choice and geographic location is not an issue- opt for the Fawsley Hall.

Reception staff a bit useless but Bar staff and Concierge top class by Fallon07

Took my sister to Chilston Park for a treat the night before she got married (Saturday).

The reception staff are work shy and a bit rubbish, but once past them you meet some very nice and very helpful concierge who couldn't do more for us.

Full afternoon tea is highly recommended and the bar staff, imparticular Gianluco really looked after us and made us feel very special.

The rooms are devine (if a little cold) and individually decorated. Beds comfortable (important to mention I thought!)

Word of warning - this is not a vegetarian friendly hotel/restaurant.... my sister and I struggled to find anything suitable on the menu that wasn't a salad or just chips!!!

Wonderful by rosedeicker

Well I am surprised at 'Disappointed'. We held our Silver Wedding Lunch at Chilston Manor last week and it was wonderful. The staff were waiting for us with champagne and canapes and the lunch was outstanding. Everyone was extremely attentive and nothing was too much trouble.

Later we went into the lounge where we were served coffee and a big plate of chocolates. We then walked around the beautiful grounds on a warm summer afternoon. We will remember the experience with delight.

I cannot fault this place and hope people will not be put off by 'Disappointed's' review.

D Taylor Oct 2007

Disappointment by Lenjen

Very disappointing. The grounds and house are superb, but the lack of attention to detail smacks of a degree of amateurishness which is unacceptable for an hotel in this price range. We had a confirmed booking for a double room with a queen sized bed, but were allocated a room with a standard bed. When we complained, we were grudgingly moved, and told that the mistake must have been the fault of the booking agency (it clearly wasn't). Two dressing gowns were supposed to have been provided; only one was. The set lunch for a family celebration was not too bad, though the vegetarian option of mushy flavourless rice with a dollop of hollandaise sauce was lazy cooking at its worst. In the evening we settled for drinks and sandwiches in the lounge. The small bar suffered from a surly and constantly disappearing barman. None of the very expensive sandwiches were buttered; the smoked salmon sandwich lacked lemon, and the few prawns in the prawn sandwich were carefully uncontaminated by mayonnaise. Eight cold and soggy chips were charged at £3.50. The chef apologised profusely, explaining that the food had been prepared by an untrained work experience kitchen hand. He arranged for the bill to be cancelled, but by that time the evening had ben spoiled. Breakfast next morning was pretty good, though the cooked portions were rather small, and the traditional vegetarian breakfast lacked the advertised meatless sausage - "we're waiting for the delivery van". We may have been unlucky in choosing a busy weekend to visit this place, but we certainly shan't be going back.

Recommended! by wroughtironron

Superb hotel for the money - Laterooms got me a deal for £85 b and b. It's a large country house type place surrounded by countryside.

Four bottles of water in the room, lovely flat screen tv, comfortable

bed and flash bedroom with fancy smellies. The hotel is down narrow country lanes in the middle of nowhere, so you'll need a car.

Daughters wedding reception by MoBWales

We held our daughters wedding reception here last Friday, June 22nd.

Following many months of planning and a few concerns having read some

of the reviews here, I can safely say it surpassed all our expectations!

From the moment my husband and I arrived 2 days before the wedding to

the minute we all left, the hotel staff were superb. We had a few scary moments in the few days before the wedding, with the groom being unwell, but the day itself was beautiful. The sun shone, the hotel and grounds were lovely, the food excellent.

Every member of staff we came into contact with could not have been more concerned and helpful. All our rooms were great, we were thinking of taking up squatters rights.

A huge thank you to everyone at Chilston, and if you are thinking of having your wedding/reception here you will have a wonderful time.

Read 279 additional reviews of Chilston Park Hotel

Stayed at Chilston Park Hotel? Share your insight.

Chilston Park Hotel also called