Arcadia Cruise Ship

, P&O Cruises
Arcadia Cruise Ship

1 2 38 »
Arcadia cough & chest infection

"We boarded the Arcadia on the 25th March 2015 to cruise the last 2 sectors of the World Cruise from Singapore to Southampton.We noticed as soon as we boarded that a lot of people had chesty coughs.Passengers who were doing the whole World cruise said the infection had been on the ship since she sailed in January.On 30th March my husband started with a sore throat and chesty cough.By the 1st April he had to visit the ships' doctor and was given antibiotics and cough linctus.He was diagnosed with respiratory chest infection.By the 3rd April I started with the virus.Finally driven to the Doctor feeling very poorly on 7th April.We were both asked to stay in our cabin for 48hrs until my temperature came down.I was put on antibiotics and linctus .Doctors' bill has now reached £140.Our cabin was " sanitized " twice a day by 2 crew members covered in masks, plastic aprons etc.Nurse coming in every few hours to take my temperature.This virus carried on for the rest of the cruise.We had to canx trips ashore because we were to ill to go on them.No members of the crew or nursing staff would admit there was a problem and yet passengers were ill and coughing all around us.I ended up having another course of antibiotics.We have been home 9 days now- still coughing-my husband still has sore throat as well as the cough.There is a serious problem with the Arcadia.It ruined our cruise and we feel we wasted a lot of our hard earned money!We have now contacted Irwin Mitchell Solicitors who are dealing with other Arcadia cases. Pat/Alan"

• Holiday details: Mar 2015
  • Advice: Don't go !
by Pat/Alan

? Arcadia Cough

"I was on the Arcadia from Dubai to Southampton and yes there were a lot of passengers with a cough. However I do not agree that the ship was to blame. The cough everyone is complaining about is the same cough that has been doing the rounds in the UK for several months. I had it in January and it lasted for about 7-8 weeks and eventually my chest infection was cleared by antibiotics. I would suggest that the virus was taken on board by passengers joining the ship at Southampton in January. With so many people living in close proximity it is obvious that illnesses are going to spread but to blame P&O I feel is unfair. I thoroughly enjoyed my cruise and have nothing but praise for the crew who made every effort to ensure that all our needs were met."

• Holiday details: Apr 2015, booked with Imagine Cruising
  • Advice: Read the daily news letter to check what is happening throughout the day
by fromebridge

Another two victims of 'The Arcadia Cough'

"We boarded the Arcadia on 16th March 2015 in Hong Kong. We were required to state we were both in good health on boarding. Oh that we had remained in good health. After a few days my husband developed a sore throat and this was very quickly followed by an irritating cough and loss of voice. At this point I started with a sore throat also. This also developed into a cough and chest infection. Although many passengers were also suffering from the same symptoms and the shop had run out of throat.lozenges and medicines due to the high demand, reception said they were unaware of the problem. A crew member became quite irate when she asked how I was and I said I had succumbed to 'the Arcadian Cough'. She said there was no such thing. You would have to be blind and deaf to be unaware of the high number of passengers suffering. The theater was packed for a talk on piracy and hardly a minute passed without an outbreak of coughing. This cough really spoiled our cruise. It left us feeling very tired and meant when we used the dining room we had to request a table for two as we were too self conscious to share a table, even if we had had the voices to communicate. We didn't feel the air conditioning over our bed was very good, as our symptoms were always much worse in the morning. It was also very noisy, possibly due to a dirty filter. I raised this with reception and the system was inspected. It was very quiet after the service. Had I been aware of the number of people who became ill on this ship I would not have booked. In future I will look very carefully at reviews.

P&O really need to acknowledge there is a problem and remedy this as soon as possible.

Management response from P&O Cruises, Medical Director 23 Apr 2015

P&O Cruises regret anyone becoming unwell at any time, and would like to reassure all our guests that we do everything we can to limit the impact of viral illnesses, such as coughs and colds. We encourage everyone to follow the same advice as they would if visiting a school, hospital, or other environment where people are in close quarters especially at times of year like now when these viruses are more common; regular hand-washing with soap and water and good cough etiquette.

by Cruiser123

Arcadia and still coughing - check the health of your ship before booking!

"We joined in Hong Kong and disembarked in Dubai on Sunday 6th April 2015. On our first encounter with our neighbor she told us that her husband had had pneumonia and they nearly had to leave the ship. We thought no more about it until our first evening in the theater - there was a coughing chorus. We succumbed a week later! I saw the ships doctors to check that my lungs were OK as I had pneumonia in January and was concerned that I might be a sitting duck! While waiting for him, another passenger told us that he had been in the ships hospital for three days and then had had to be admitted to a shore hospital. He had just re-joined the ship after four days ashore. I was given antibiotics which have had no noticeable effect and we are both still coughing up a storm!

P&O apparently only accept that there is a problem if more than 2% of the passengers report to the sick bay. So as the majority put up with the cough and don't fancy paying to see the doctor, as far as P&O are concerned there is no problem. It is time for the health authorities to look into the health issues on this ship!

It is also a wake up call for people planning cruises to check not only the cruise itinerary, but also the health of the ship before they book. We most certainly will do so!

• Holiday details: Mar 2015, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Eastern people wear masks to avoid polution etc - a requirement on this ship?Might be fun!! Failing this, the food is excellent so enjoy!
by Delana

Arcadia Illness

"After having a serious illness which is still ongoing. We are pressing the matter legally. Anyone else who have had there holiday ruined should do the same. Power by numbers is recommended you can contact me at saronasam91@gmail.com ."

Arcadia Cough

"I have just got off Arcadia and I started coughing on about Feb. 22nd and it is still with me a month later March 19th. I have thrown everything at it to ji available . So many people were coughing throughout the RTW cruise that it definitely spoils a very expensive 43 nights as half of them were spoils due to severe coughing, tiredness. The cough kept me awake and sometimes was so severe that I was sick. I think the whole ship should be fumigated to get rid of the virus infection before people are allowed on it again. British health authorities should investigate."

by Jill Johnson

Arcadia cough

"We have just had three weeks on the Arcadia from San Fransisco to Sidney .five days in to the cruise I caught the Arcadia cough !the medical officer said it was upper respiratory without examination !! By the time we reached Sidney it was worse !! We traveled on to Perth and I was then admitted to hospital with viral pneumonia !! Come on P&O and admit you have a problem how many people have to die before you do something .our holiday was ruined !!our dates were from jan 30th to Feb 21st Doreen Dale"

• Holiday details: Jan 2015
  • Advice: Don't go
by David D

Legal Help

"I have today spoken to Irwin Mitchell who have ongoing issues re this cruise ship they already have clients who are claiming against P & O.

Check there website. The higher the number of claimants the more chance of a result.

• Holiday details: Feb 2015, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Check the history of illness aboard this ship its all there to see.

Nightmare cruise

"We too have been very poorly after our cruise on Arcadia, arriving back in the UK 24th of February after a long flight back from Sydney. I had to take my wife to the A&E where she was admitted with severe chest infection, after treatment over a couple of days she was a little better and was discharged. She now has been diagnosed with blood clot on lung and is in intensive care. I hope to god she recovers, and I intend pressing charges against P&O."

Constant cough

"We had our first cruise on Arcadia Dec27th 2014 we went with friends and we all got this cough one after the other me last I'm still coughing very breathless feel really I'll so tired and cannot do anything due to this breathlessness been on 3 lots of antibiotics 2 lots of steroids and still feel the same I ache through coughing and really fed up was taken to hospital Thursday by ambulance as I couldn't breath high BP and pulse never felt as ill as I feel now, what the heck is it ?????i didn't hear about Arcadia cough until someone said it was in the papers it has put me off going on another cruise and the staff including sweet shop owner said everyone's getting it I think something should have been done as it's baffled the doctors in hospital and my GP I'm asthmatic as well I know I was coughing the night in Paladium with that smoke machine started I coughed continually while The show was on well I hope it goes soon because I don't think I can put up with it much longer think the ship should have had someone check it out a find the cause it's a shame our holiday was ruined by this cough it's put me off going again."

by Gloria burling

Arcadia

"Boarded San Francisco en route Sydney.After two days met folks who joked about the "Arcadia Cough".

Two days later, I had it.Became gradually worse until I disembarked Sydney.Then downhill from there.

Sixteen days from Sydney,bed rest and anti-bio-tics and I am still ill.

At no time was the cough referred to by any member of staff,completely showing ignorance of any problem therefore well able to deny any responsibility.

However, early on the Captain made a big deal about sea air being pumped in,treat,circulated and then blown out.

How long will Arcadia continue to sail until the appropriate authorities step in and quarantine the ship?

Any chance of any recompense from P&O?

I do not think so!

Profit,profit,profit.

Three previous with P&O,one with MSC and one with Holland and America so I am no novice.

DO NOT SAIL IN THIS VIRUS RIDDEN BUCKET.

K R Sutherland

P&O can find me.

• Holiday details: Feb 2015, booked with Imagine
  • Advice: Do not board
by Keith S

Do not go on the Arcadia

"We have just got off the Arcadia 2nd leg from San Francisco to Sydney, I will never cruise on this ship again, after falling sick with the Arcadia cough 4 days into the cruise and then getting conjunctivitis it has been a miserable time, so many people being sick, not sure how many people have died."

by Hazel B

Cleanliness: 6.5/10
Location: 7.5/10
Top traveller tips for Arcadia Cruise Ship
  • by gosling

" The ship has many excellent points, take time and find what suits you best. The Orchid bar is great for a pre dinner drink "

Do you own Arcadia Cruise Ship?

Stayed on Arcadia Cruise Ship? Share your insight.