Arcadia Cruise Ship

, P&O Cruises
Arcadia Cruise Ship

1 2 37 »
Arcadia

"Boarded San Francisco en route Sydney.After two days met folks who joked about the "Arcadia Cough".

Two days later, I had it.Became gradually worse until I disembarked Sydney.Then downhill from there.

Sixteen days from Sydney,bed rest and anti-bio-tics and I am still ill.

At no time was the cough referred to by any member of staff,completely showing ignorance of any problem therefore well able to deny any responsibility.

However, early on the Captain made a big deal about sea air being pumped in,treat,circulated and then blown out.

How long will Arcadia continue to sail until the appropriate authorities step in and quarantine the ship?

Any chance of any recompense from P&O?

I do not think so!

Profit,profit,profit.

Three previous with P&O,one with MSC and one with Holland and America so I am no novice.

DO NOT SAIL IN THIS VIRUS RIDDEN BUCKET.

K R Sutherland

P&O can find me.

• Holiday details: Feb 2015, booked with Imagine
  • Advice: Do not board
by Keith S

Do not go on the Arcadia

"We have just got off the Arcadia 2nd leg from San Francisco to Sydney, I will never cruise on this ship again, after falling sick with the Arcadia cough 4 days into the cruise and then getting conjunctivitis it has been a miserable time, so many people being sick, not sure how many people have died."

by Hazel B

Arcadia cough

"Although there were many good points. About our cruise from Southampton, everything was spoiled by the coughs which we both contracted after 7 to 13 days on the ship. We disembarked at San Francisco and drove south to San Diego. Despite wonderful weather and a. Very helpful pharmacist we are still suffering a fortnight later. We really do wonder how long it will take to get rid of this bug which has spoiled a very expensive holiday. We shall not cruise on Arcadia again."

• Holiday details: Jan 2015
  • Advice: Don't go!
by Irene K

Arcadia cough

"I Sailed on Arcadia with my husband for a10 night new year cruise .

During the cruise I noticed lots of passengers coughing. I also caught this cough towards the end of the cruise . I was very poorly for weeks after.

I have just read an article in the Sunday Mail of an elderly lady becoming Ill on the PO ship Arcadia with the (Arcadia cough)

According to the article the lady and her family had to leave the ship in Mexico. Unfortunately the lady died some days later.

(My condolences to her family.)

This was the first time I had heard about the Arcadia cough.

I goggled it and was amazed to read the comments from people who had also been infected and not just on the one cruise. It seems to be an ongoing outbreak. Surely something should be done about this. It would be interesting to find out just how many people have been infected on this ship. Department of health needs to be involved. I for one would never go on it again

• Holiday details: Dec 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Dont go on it !
by Phoebephil

good job only a weekend cruise

"What a shame it all started so well we were checked in very fast and welcomed aboard by crew ,cabin with lots of space ,dust , and a filthy toilet rim .Staff glum and sad looking took forever to order and receive a drink .several groups of crazy people including hen night parties and birthday parties were very noisy and drunk(must have brought their own drink)they were around the pool at the back of the ship which was then a no go area for us ,litter and glasses all over the floor,hot tub broken . The first night we were going to meet our friends in the bar next to the dining room but it had a private function on so we were left waiting outside as not time to find our way back to other bars, second sitting delayed so long we missed half the show, no apology ,it was our fault as people did not want earlier tables , food ok but no healthy options although waiter did fetch me some melon as starter one night and some salad the next , too much fish on the menu for me .The SHOW WAS GREAT BOTH NIGHTS!!!!!what a shame we had a very poor selection of school dinner like breakfast more queuing my husband did not like this and just had a bread roll and cold ham .Guernsey beautiful day there.could not fault tender crew very help full and professional .Last morning could not get breakfast as they wanted you of as quick as possible need to get up at crack of dawn to eat on this ship .Never again will we use this ship unless major improvements are made."

• Holiday details: Aug 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: not book this ship
by dog walker girl

good job only a weekend cruise

"What a shame it all started so well we were checked in very fast and welcomed aboard by crew ,cabin with lots of space ,dust , and a filthy toilet rim .Staff glum and sad looking took forever to order and receive a drink .several groups of crazy people including hen night parties and birthday parties were very noisy and drunk(must have brought their own drink)they were around the pool at the back of the ship which was then a no go area for us ,litter and glass all over the floor,hot tub broken . The first night we were going to meet our friends in the bar next to the dining room but it had a private function on so we were left waiting outside as not time to find our way back to other bars, second sitting delayed so long we missed half the show no apology ,it was our fault as people did not want earlier tables , food ok but no healthy options although waiter did fetch me some melon as starter one night and some salad the next , too much fish on the menu for me .The SHOW WAS GREAT BOTH NIGHTS!!!!!what a shame we had a very poor selection of school dinner like breakfast more queuing my husband did not like this and just had a bread roll and cold ham .Guernsey beautiful day there.could not fault tender crew very help full and professional .Last morning could not get breakfast as they wanted you of as quick as possible need to get up at crack of dawn to eat on this ship .Never again will we use this ship unless major improvements are made."

by dog walker girl

Pleasantly pleased after having read these reviews

"My husband and I were on Norwegian Fjords cruise J414 from Southampton for 7 nights from Sunday 17th August.

Having read the reviews on here I was apprehensive as the P&O website reviews doesn't paint the same picture.

My husband and I are in our 40's, but there were many people younger than us on the adults only cruise. So much so that during FREEDOM dining one night on our table of 8 we were guessing the average age. I thought it was 55 but most others thought older. Having seen a lady from our table the night before the following day she informed us she'd been to Reception and the answer was 60. There were many teachers on our ship probably due to the time of year may have helped bring the age range down. Whilst there were quite a few with physical disabilities I didn't find anyone was rude. Our 2nd night when it was Storm Force winds (9 knots) I learned the following day many people had to seek medical attention for sea sickness and whilst it did feel quite scary we didn't need medical attention ourselves and I don't think the ship was in any danger. (It's just your mind playing tricks when you are in an inside cabin in the pitch black not being able to sleep (Didn't dare get out the bed to switch a light/ TV on)

We actually had much better weather than was forecast. Hardly any rain. The rain we had was generally during the Sail away parties which could well have been nature's way of sabotage as it is quite Hi-de-Hi, but easy to avoid.

We did notice that the entertainment (quizzes and such) seemed to start a few minutes early, but if you didn't get there at least 20mins early you were probably not going to get a seat.

We chose FREEDOM dining and opted to sit with others. This meant you were sat with like minded other diners each night who had also opted for a shared table. Once you start doing this you start to recognize and chat to other passengers throughout the week.

We found the food to be pretty good and whilst the waiting staff were not very smiley we assumed that's because its different staff each night so they aren't sucking up to you for an additional tip on top of the daily charge. Incidentally the daily charge per person was charged at 7 days - but really it should have been 6 because you embark around 2.30pm but disembark at 9am. I'm sure I could have got a days charges removed but that would have been petty so I didn't. The FREEDOM dining is in the upper deck of the Meridian restaurant. In the lower deck was set dinner times of 6.15pm or 8.15pm which my aunt and uncle had opted for. That could be tricky if you end up on a table with persons you aren't compatible with because you are with them every evening.

The buffet was really good too, though along with the creamy cocktails and COCKTAILS was probably the cause of my 5lb weight gain in 7 nights. There were times when it was closed during change over of styles. The most obvious was 5-6.30pm. Though you could still get food in the Neptune bar (by the indoor pool)during these times.

The pools were covered over quite a lot, and whilst we initially thought this was due to weather conditions, it became apparent when we were in a low motion area that it was probably due to pool temperature.

I initially food this website by accident when I was trying to find out if the ship had a gym and Jacuzzi/ saunas which were included in original charge. There are 2 pools, but I wouldn't call them swimming pools, whilst they were deep they weren't very big. One is outdoors with 2 little 2/3 person Jacuzzi with them and the other was indoors which looked like the roof would come off if the weather was hot enough. There is a gym too with the running (or walking in my case) machines all looking out at the front of the ship. It made it feel like you were powering the ship (I don't think that's what was actually happening)

We did go on 2 official excursions and whilst they are overpriced we probably wouldn't have risked trying to do the same excursion off our own steam because you couldn't have walked to the places we went.

The best bar during daylight hours was definitely the Crows Nest on Deck 10. The worst was probably the Rising Sun because most of the chairs are REALLY uncomfortable.

The system of taking loads of photographs and printing thousands of them seems like an old fashioned and wasteful system. I'm sure if they could come up with a method of viewing them and only printing the ones which were wanted they could sell a lot more at a much better price. It did feel the high prices were because they had to make up the costs of printing so many which were not purchased. Having said that I did buy one photo which I swore I wouldn't do.

Our inside cabin room was very comfortable. The bed was bigger and more comfortable than at home (pity I couldn't smuggle it home). There was a fridge which we used to keep water in and the chocolates that were placed on a pillow at night (the staff attend to your room twice a day)if we were too full to eat them. The room has kettle, tea and coffee but we didn't make use of it much as we just went to the buffet restaurant if we wanted a hot drink. You can take a small amount of alcohol in to drink in your home. The only 2 drinks we had in our room were coffee with our Amaretto that we took aboard.

I think the drink prices were reasonable. Certainly some of the cocktails were on a par with a pub (outside of London)and the pints were hotel prices (still not in London)

We never found any mistakes on our room charges which you don't get to check until your last hour before you disembark, but you can ask at Reception if you need to know prior to this.

There was only one plug socket and you aren't to leave anything plugged in whilst you are asleep or not in your room. I would therefore recommend taking your own multi extension lead (got the tip whilst on the cruise from another passenger whilst they joined our table at breakfast in the buffet)

There are details of your location and venues at various places on the ship. That didn't stop me facing the wrong way losing my bearings for 7 days (well 6.5 days to be more accurate).

• Holiday details: Aug 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: take multi extension lead for your room
by simone10

Arcadia Nightmare!!!

"Just come back from a 2 night mini cruise to Guernsey, we are seasoned cruisers and have travelled with P&O many times but also with several other cruise companies. We have always rated P&O very highly until this time.

No welcome on board from anyone and being directed to LIDO deck for lunch.

Ship was drab, without any WOW factor, Atrium normally the heart of the ship was small and dismal with a few dusty old plants under the staircase. Our cabin was very dusty in places and our room steward was an older man who never once smiled, unlike some of the more cheery stewards we have encountered. Our bathroom was very 'tired'.

Freedom dining was shambolic, because of Sail away parties and the formal evening no one wanted to eat at 6pm so a bottle neck was created from 8pm where everyone queuing was given a pager and told that there would be at least a 45 minute wait and we were told that it was our fault for not coming along between 6 and 7 to eat. We gave up trying to eat in the Meridian restaurant on the first evening and went to the self service area instead, for the 'British' themed menu.

Self service food area decorated nicely but food was like school dinners, especially the desserts.

Entertainment was excellent but overall this was the worst P&O trip ever (and we have done many), I was glad it was only for 2 nights and I said to my partner that I felt like we were traveling with an 'Alien' cruise company. Overheard many other passengers complaining about various things and felt sad when for many this was their first P&O cruise and overheard them saying that they wouldn't use P&O again because we know they can do better, but this ship really let the company down and I am not quite sure if it was the ship or general staff attitude.

• Holiday details: Aug 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Book set dining, not Freedom at least you will know that you can eat at a set time.
by Cruise lover

how to lose future customers P&O

"Have just returned from Arcadia to the Baltic departing Southampton 25.7.14.booked a suite which was very good and Butler was excellent. Food OK but certainly not fantastic as it used to be a few years ago!! Junior staff very helpful but Senior staff complacent and at times patronizing,trips okay but somewhat overpriced- don't bother with trips at Stockholm/Helsinki/Warnemunde/Copenhagen or Skagen you can easily so it yourself if mobile! worst part of all and it would appear this has appeared in another review! The cruise TripAdvisor who is anything but.An Irish woman who has no customer service skills whatsoever and in inquiring for advice on booking a 17 night cruise to Venice dismissed me with a "look in the brochure I cant help you if you don't know which cruise you want, come back when you do and i will give you a wee price" I wouldn't buy a dishcloth off her and we are now looking to do this same trip with someone else!!!! As a Director of a service company shame on you P&O you really should train your staff better!"

by skatingbluebear

Never again on this ship.........

"May i say straight off that i do not normally write reviews but felt the need to on this occasion. This was my 3rd cruise with P&O, so have something to judge it against. In all aspects of the holiday Arcadia come bottom.

The ship is child free, which is exactly what i wanted, but didn't realize it would be a nursing home, the average age must have been 75, and the number of disabled people made me feel as though i was in a Hospital.

As such all the entertainment was geared to that age range, every bar had a quiz at some point, bingo, and the shows were a joke.

Food from the Buffet was very limited, often cold,the only saving grace was The Grill, Excellent food and service although there is a cover charge.

We were going to book another cruise via the on-board booking team, what a rude unpleasant woman in there, we were told to look in the book and find the cruise we wanted, as she dose not keep the details in her head, when i said that was a bit sarcastic she told me i can be more sarcastic than that, at that point we left.

Had many problems with the card system, my bill was charged to another couple on our table, i was given the wrong card back one night and didn't notice till i tried to get into my room.

My partner purchased duty free, only to not have it delivered at the correct time, had to make a fuss before it got resolved after returning to the shop 4 times, told we couldn't purchase any tobacco because duty free was closed, then two minutes later a passenger came to the counter and was served, there is a general lack of communication with the staff and it shows.

I came down with the flu/cough on the 5th day and dint realize this seems to be quite frequent with other travelers as well, maybe the air con in the rooms.

We paid extra to use the hydro pool, but often found the steam room were not working, hot bed not on.

I love P&O Cruise Ships, and have booked the Caribbean on the Azura for

Christmas, all i can say is that if you book Arcadia for a first cruise, please don't let it put you off cruising. This ship is far from the standard i have received on the Ociana and Azura, but you have to try i guess to make up your own mind.

• Holiday details: Jul 2014
  • Advice: book a different ship first, then you will see how bad this one is
by johnpaulauskas

Shame aabout the food

"We cruised the fjords last month,they are amazing.Arcadia is a lovely ship but that is where the compliments end.The crew,whilst being accomodating,were not up to the standard of previous P&O ships,but the biggest let-down was the food,well below normal cruise levels,so much so that people on the next able organised a petition!Strangely,there was an improvement for the last two days.Shame really, as food is a major part of any holiday."

• Holiday details: May 2014, booked with Go cruise
  • Advice: Eat in the buffet
by John S

Fume events

"I have been reading the notes on the reviews for the purpose if this or other cruise ships are using recycled air from some type of turbines. Because if it is then possibly you have gotten sick from turbines that push air to the cabins. Similarly Jet engines require synthetic oils for lubrication. These oils contain ingredients such as tricycle phosphate (TCP), an organ ophosphate, that could possibly be toxic to humans in large quantities.[6] Engine bearing seals are installed for the purpose of ensuring that critical engine bearings are continuously lubricated, and also to prevent engine oil from leaking into the compressed air stream. If a bearing seal fails and begins to leak, depending on the location of the seal, some amount of engine oil may be released into the compressed air stream. Oil leaks may be detected by odour or, in more serious cases, by smoke in the cabin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerotoxic_syndrome

I have written www.fumeevents.com and collaborated with www.aerotoxic.org

The smells can be like vomit, wet dog, smelly gym socks, burnt oil.

I have found that it’s still impossible to find out from search engines how is breathing air sent to the cabins.

note: I have not traveled on this ship but to get this review posted I had to put info on the website shown here

by fumeevent

Value: 5.5/10
Cleanliness: 6.5/10
Top traveller tips for Arcadia Cruise Ship
  • by gosling

" The ship has many excellent points, take time and find what suits you best. The Orchid bar is great for a pre dinner drink "

Do you own Arcadia Cruise Ship?

Stayed on Arcadia Cruise Ship? Share your insight.