Ramla Bay Resort Hotel

Value: 7.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Ramla Bay Resort Hotel

1 2 3 »
Ramla Bay, Malta

"Once again thank you for a wonderful holiday at Ramla Bay. this is the first holiday that we have returned to. Our first visit was last year and we enjoyed the holiday so much we returned again this year. Ramla Bay offers excellent service. reception staff are welcoming and attend to all enquiries in a courteous manner. Maids are wonderful happy to attend to any needs and kind and thoughtful. animation - well what can I say Martina and Ricardo are absolutely brilliant. Our daughter who is now eight was in safe hands the whole time. she is a type 1 diabetic and the two staff recognised her condition and were absolutely brilliant. they work extremely hard - give them the opportunity to deliver they are truly a fantastic team. The restaurant is run to an extremely high standard with Bryan the manager who manages the team extremely well. However behind every manager there is need for teamwork which was clearly visible. Tracey was brilliant and accommodating. Again within the bar the Bar Staff were all also helpful and accommodating. e returned two days ago and already looking to book for Eadter next year."

• Holiday details: Apr 2013, Booked Independently
  • Advice: If you enjoy a quiet holiday where you feel safe and have good quality service and excellent food this is the place to be
by S Fearn

Ramla Hotel is great !!!!!!

"I can't believe some of the comments I've read & wonder if we stayed at the same Hotel?? Yes,it is a long drive from the Airport,1& a half hours for us,but all our drivers were nice,and,upon arrival at the Hotel,we were welcomed in the early hours,in a very friendly way.However,it is true we had no help with luggage,despite my being disabled.

The Hotel is beautiful,just as the photo's show it to be.Our 2 rooms were spacious & clean.The maid came every day&the sheets were changed frequently.The staff were very polite & friendly,including the Restaurant staff,who were very kind and the service was excellent,with plates cleared away quickly.

We were Half-Board,with lunch on our last day too,& the choice of food was amazing!Loads of different soups,starters,roast meats,pastas,vegetables,salads,rice,seafood,cheeses.... I could go on & on,and the ice-creams & cakes were to die for!!The food just kept coming!

Some of the staff spoke perfect English,others halting,but....'hello'...it is Malta!We found ALL to be friendly,smiling & helpful,including the ladies in the shop!

I don't know what is meant by one holiday-maker saying they were 'segregated'from others?We chatted with several who were full-board,& they sat by us,in the same restaurant area.Our drinks were fine too!

The entertainment varied,some nice music,& singers, one maybe not so good,but to be honest,we went for the beauty of the place,so this did not bother us.There always seemed to be plenty going on each night.

I agree with one review about the trips,as you do spend a long time in the coach,picking up& dropping folk.I was disappointed that we only had a hour at the market,including to & from coach,but the secret is to make your own way to these places.Our 2 bus rides were memorable,seeing some great local places,but a bit scary coming back from Valletta,as the driver seemed quite mad!

The weather was glorious,in the high 80's,& 92 one day! The beach was cleaned every day,& all 3 pools were fab!!

The beach cafe had some lovely young staff & the food was plentiful.

We went on a lovely boat trip,from the Hotel,to the Blue Lagoon,&,at 8 Euros each,excellent value!

We were also wished a speedy return, by staff,when we checked out.

DO I HAVE A COMPLAINT??

Yes,TWO,but I'm not sure what the Hotel can do about the one,& that is the huge amount of jelly-fish that are obviously a massive problem out there.I would NOT recommend anyone swimming in the sea,without wet-suits.My younger daughter was swimming by the rocks,where they have nets,supposedly to stop the jelly-fish,& got badly stung.I am glad it was the end of our holiday,as she had to be hospitalised with cellulitis,infection & phlebitis,on our return home,& has been very ill.That brings me to my other complaint,& that is that there is no competant First Aider/Medical Unit,at the Hotel.With the amount of jelly-fish around,this is essential,but should be available anyway!

If you go to Malta,take a bottle of Surgical Spirit in your luggage,in case of stings,& DO NOT let the Hotel blast it with a hosepipe,as they did,as we have since found out,this was the worst thing they could have done.Surgical Spirit(or Urine!)& clean sea-water is the answer!

If the jelly-fish incident had not happened,this would have been a wonderful holiday,at a lovely Hotel,with friendly,helpful staff & superb food!The stunning sunsets,over the beautiful sea,that we enjoyed,from our balcony each night,will remain with me for ever.

ENJOY RAMLA BAY HOTEL!!!!

• Holiday details: Jul 2010, Half-board., booked with Thomson
  • Advice: Already have done!!
by Angie.

The Malta Experience

"The Malta Experience was definately a great one! Thoroughly enjoyed my two week stay, exploring the islands and all their beauty. The weather was continuously divine, just one scorching 40 degree day which was a little unbearable. The cities are gorgeous and the coast was more than picture perfect. Some of the beaches I found to be a little dirty, if only people would pick up after themselves. The water is also Very salty, so maybe eyedrops are a good idea. The Buses are great, super cheap, you just have to wait a while in the less central areas.

The hotels were wonderful. However, would not recommend taking one without air conditioning or you'll be in for some sleepless nights. Also, only one of the 5 hotels we stayed in had a double bed in their double room. The rest contained two single beds pushed together, which I found somewhat uncomfortable for my romantic escape away with my boyfriend.

My only other concern was the amount of english tourists! I think there is more than Maltese locals themselves. Only to be expected though.

Apart from those small details, I had an absolutely wonderful stay and would highly recommend spending a summer on the Maltese Islands.

• Holiday details: Jul 2009, Bed & Breakfast, Booked Independently
  • Advice: One outstanding highlight of my holiday was the Azure Window on the west side of Gozo. An amazing na
by Younggirlyour

Dissapointment?

"The main dissapointment with the hotel was the staff, it was a struggle to get them to smile or show any positive emotion. The Animation Crew (Pete, Claudio, Cecile and Yanka) made the hotel for me and my family, they were entertaining, and were probably the only staff members to have a smile on their face.

However, towards the end of the first week after telling the animation crew about the non smiling staff problem a questionnaire was handed out at the evening meal. I answered honestly and I am guessing others did as well as I began to notice a change in the staff members and am happy to say it was beneficial to the hotel.

I wouldn't reccomend this hotel to a family with young kids, as they are likely to get bored, this hotel is more of a relaxing break for adults and families with kids between 11-15.

We had no problems with the transport to and from the hotel, we had booked a minibus prior to going and so were taken straight to the resort and were not cramped in like sardines. Also when going to Buggiba we again booked a minibus and so found the trip enjoyable. So when staying at this resort I would recommend booking minibuses instead of renting a car, will work out cheaper if you stay at the resort the majority of the time.

The animation crew as I said made the holiday for me and my family. They were pleasant to talk to, and offered loads of activities for the kids throughout the day, and offered a kid disco during the evening with entertainment suitable for the whole family during the evening (3 nights a week).

• Holiday details: Jul 2008, All Inclusive, booked with Thomas Cook
  • Good For: , City Breaks
by salennox

Having stayed at the Ramla Hotel, i...

"Having stayed at the Ramla Hotel, i was most dissapointed. firstly it took nearly two hours on the coach to the hotel, due to the fact first choice stopped of at 8 hotels and Ramla was the last stop.

Secondly on arrival the reception staff were very unfriendly, it was very hard for them to crack a smile. There was no help with luggage so i struggled with two suitcases while my partner struggled with my 18 month old son, hand luggage and pushing the pram!!.

The hotel food was ok, but towards the end of the week i was really sick of salad and roast dinners.

NEVER NEVER go on an excursion with first choice, we went to a Fiesta, once again 7 stops before we got there 2 1/2 hours on a coach, and then missed the main part, only to be told to return to the coach at 9 to have missed the ending and then we actually never left until 22.30 returning to the hotel after midnight, this was all with a 18 month baby.

If you can get the bar staff to talk to you or smile then you must have great people skills, and for the entertainment it was dire, have you ever heard posh spice sing well if you have then it was 10 times worse.

The animation team was a joke , water polo was at 15.30 and if they turned up i consisted of chucking the ball in the pool and going back to the bar for a drink. They were rude and very unhelpful. The beach is very small and on the last two days it was covered with litter, how nice for my son to play in.

Also one more thing, the indoor pool had nobody in and would not let myself partner and young son in whose eyes were sore due to the salt water in the outdoor pool, you had to be over 14 to enter. Great Family Hotel.

If you like miserable staff, rubbish entertainment and poor food and spending most of your holiday stuck on a coach then this is for you!

On a good note the hotel was clean and spacious.

by P Ladd

First visit to Malta and i must say i...

"First visit to Malta and i must say i will not go back, hotel on arrival (after going down dirt track) was very pleasent staff in reception very friendly and polite.

Brochure not very accurate in saying if your idea of heaven and pin-drop peace and quiet as this hotel is open to the public who only pay very small price and they have acsess to pool,beach and dining area lunch time(and believe me it is not very quiet)

If you have children be prepared to spend money as the food is appaling and you will end up going across to the Riviera hotel for pizza.

beaware if you go over to blue lagoon for day trip try not to go on saturdays as this is a very busy day and they crame as many people on a very small beach as they possibly can, must say any other day and it is very very nice.

I booked this hotel as i realy did need a very quiet holiday and i did not get it,and if you are going all inclusive when you go to the bar for a drink make sure you have money in your hand or they just might forget you.

by K Eynon

This was our second visit to the...

"This was our second visit to the Ramla Bay and yet again we enjoyed it.

We paid extra this time and had a panoramic country view so we knew we would be on the third floor and the room was lovely, very spacious and cleaned every day with fresh towels. It also had tea and coffee making facilities.

We went all inclusive and the food was lovely with plenty of choice.

Again we spent all our time on the beach, it is only small but wasnt over crowded and we never had trouble getting a bed or parasol which were included in your holiday price.

The only trouble was when it was windy the parasols blew all over so you ended up ducking or trying to catch them.

They had evening entertainment three times weekly.

Overall a fantastic holiday and cant wait to go again.

by judithm

Just come back and thought I’d give...

"Just come back and thought I’d give my two penneth worth. The hotel itself was great.

Facilities: The rooms are spacious, beds fine, cleaners came in every day and provided fresh sheets and clean towels. TV had 2 English channel – BBC News and Hallmark. Wireless broadband reception around the hotel was excellent. Balcony had table and 2 chairs. The pool was, as someone pointed out filled with salt water and cold… but it was refreshing. As for drying out your skin?? There are signs to use the fresh water showers before entering the pool so using them after was not much hassle and the fact is that 30 degree sunshine dries your skin far more than seawater… anyway… they advertised a gym/fitness suite there. This is the only facility that was a let down in my eyes but the majority of people go to relax and not worry about the gym. It was more like a garden shed inside the indoor swimming pool with a running machine, bike, cross trainer and multi purpose weights machine. I just went for a run instead as it’s a great way to see the local area and the hills are a killer!!

Location: It is quite remote. People expecting a resort near a town will be hugely disappointed. You need to take a bus to St Pauls to get to shops and restaurants etc. It’s about a 20 min walk to the ferry terminal to take you across to Gozo which is good and also a 5min walk to the bus stop that takes you all around the country.

Food: I went on a b&b basis so cant comment on the lunch or evening food but from what I heard, it was reasonable. Breakfast was substantial. You cant really go wrong with it but you had the buffet choice of cooked breakfast, cereals, yoghurts, cold meets and cheese, toast and fruit salad. All of which were very nice. I had a few bar meals and they were very average and one was awful – the meal felt like it had been left on the side for 10 plus minutes as it was stone cold.

Staff: I found the staff odd to be honest. On checking in and out, no one wished me a happy stay or asked if I enjoyed it. It felt very cold from that point of view. But they were not rude and answered all my questions with no hesitation.

Overall, very good and would gladly go back if I were looking for somewhere quiet and away from a town/tourist area. People say you need to rent a car as soon as you get to Ramla but I disagree. Busses are frequent and if you don’t mind a leisurely walk every now and then its ideal. Be warned though – the busses are often overcrowded so standing is norm. this can make it an uncomfortable journey so try and get the bus close to its starting point rather than a few stops in.

by A Holt

The flights were on time but the leg...

"The flights were on time but the leg room afforded to travellers by Thomas Cook does leave a lot to be desired. The Ramla Bay hotel is somewhat isolated in it's location. We were taken by mini-bus to the hotel by the local Thomas Cook rep (who didn't speak a word the whole journey to the hotel, put the wrong meeting time down on the welcome pack, and didn't show up for the time she should have, in order to run the welcome meeting - we did however get an apology on the front of an envelope shoved under our room door).

We went B&B for this holiday which was a big mistake as there is only one other hotel within a 4 mile radius of the hotel (albeit the other hotel does have a good outside bistro). It didn't cost in to top up to half board by paying each night on the fly. The bar prices are reasonable with a good choice and I'd advise to go all inclusive if not planning to hire a car, which is essential to get around. The terrace of the room we were first offered backed onto the main bar terrace so anyone having a drink could see right into our room unless we kept the curtains closed (not at 74 degrees). We did however get another room after a 2 hour wait and by threatening to complain to the rep.

Every local person we met was friendly and courteous, which was a blessing spending so much time in the grounds. The evening entertainment was non-existent despite advertising that there would be on the reception's entertainment boards. Maybe it was the time of year (early May) but the animation team were rarely to be seen.

This report may appear picky, but it's the small things that matter that make a good holiday. I would consider going back to Malta, but not to this resort. Disappointed.

by RW Lloyd

We booked independently through...

"We booked independently through travelrepublic.co.uk. Good service and information through them. Our flight was with XL Airways. It was on time, staff were friendly and helpful and flights there and return arrived early at each destination.

The arranged transfer with a private taxi company was waiting for us at arrivals. The travel time to Ramla Bay was around 40 minutes. We arrived at 11am but check in is normally 2pm, so we had a drink at the bar while we waited. Our all inclusive started straight away and we had lunch at the poolside restaurant.

The room was a good size with plenty of cupboard and draw space, but don't think it was 4 star. The bathroom was small and the toilet was behind the door so you couldn't open the door fully. The toilet handle didn't work properly, the shower curtain had mildew around the bottom, the bath had big chips and rust on. It also had no extractor fan in so got very hot, steamy and smelly! Most days the clean towels had holes in them. The beds were made everyday and towels changed.

We had a patio area outside the patio doors, but unfortunately it looked straight onto the bar patio. If we wanted to get changed in our room we had to close the curtains each time and these were thick and fully lined which made the room pitch black and there was no ceiling light just two small bedside lamps.

We cannot complain about the food. There was lots of choice each night. We had a 3 course every time and piled our plates high. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

In the bar they either had a big screen showing music videos or the footy. Most nights they had entertainment which was singers or a DJ. We were also amused by the bar staff Eric, cheeky James or nutty Lino! The all inclusive only covered local beers and spirits which was fine by us, but also lots of cocktails, wine and special coffees and teas. We were in the bar every night as was nothing else local just the Riviera Hotel. You would need to get a bus or taxi to the other towns.

The pool area was big enough, we always found a lounger. Both outside pools were clean and tidy and you also had steps down into the sea for swimming and diving.

The small shop on-site had choice of stuff but wasn't open all day. The UK papers were the previous days. They also had a small games room with arcades and a pool table.

We took the bus to Mellieha Village, Villetta, Sliema and St Juliens. Liked all of these places. The buses can be 23c or 50c fare, but you can buy a daily or weekly pass which works out cheaper if you use them frequently. I loved the old buses as they have character.

In all we had a good holiday. The weather was in 30's everyday. I think the hotel is best for older couples as they all made friends and sat around with each other. I would probably go for a hotel nearer in town. Would stay there again if with family or bigger group or they moved it further near Mellieha Village!!

by Harris

Having read the comments on the Ramla...

"Having read the comments on the Ramla Bay Hotel, I would like to point out that the Hotel was refurbished in 2005 so any comments before then should not be taken into account if anyone is considering going there in the future. We have been going to Ramla Bay for over twenty years so have seen lots of changes, the newly refurbished hotel is a great improvement and the Spa treatments are very very good. The only gripe I have is that the bar seems to close when if feels like it and on one occasion at about ten o'clock and one night they only had one bottle of tonic water left."

by M Holder

On choosing Malta as our holiday...

"On choosing Malta as our holiday destination we were very excited as have never visited before... however we will probably never visit again sadly due to the extreme prices in the country!

The weather was hot... and by this I mean 47 degrees on some days... which was great for a tan but not so much for the sunburn! The locals were great friendly people... however if you are to rent a car I would recommend some good experience as I have never seen anything like it in my life... crazy drivers!

On arriving at the hotel we were greeted and banded a purple wristband which was a slight aggravation! The first impressions were a very well kept modern 4 star hotel. The room (167) on the first floor did not have a sea view as such... however I would not pay the extra as we spent more time by the pool! With a large balcony and chairs and ample storage the room was light clean and fresh... though Malta seems to have some toilet flushing problems! Cleaners tidied the room everyday... so we opted for a safe... especially after our friends had £100 stolen from the pool area!

The food at the hotel was brilliant and with my boyfriend being a very fussy eater he was catered for at every meal! We opted for the all inclusive option....which I would HIGHLY recommend! Friends who we met out there spent £1100 through the week on bed and breakfast basis!!!

The swimming pools were relaxing and had great views over Gozo... however they were salt water (which we were not warned of) and I must warn you it dries your skin and stings your eyes... not good for small children at all! The pool bar served a range of snacks... not all being all inclusive but we were not really bothered by this as we could order plated of chips throughout the whole day!

For some reason through our stay, there was about 3 weddings... which seemed to take over the hotel! Also weekends (especially Sundays) the hotel became flooded with locals who swam and sat by the pool... however there was more than enough sunbeds for everyone especially as they were paying 12 lira each (around £20!!!).

The entertainment at the hotel really let itself down... although the animation team were great... the daily exercise routine started to get on my nerves after a few days! Evening entertainment was poor as mentioned previously and when the all inclusive bar shut at 11 we crashed out in out room!

If you ventured further around the bay there was often other music playing and even a gay night... which came as a surprise to me and other families alike!!!

The watersports centre was great and we took rides on pedalos (which came all inclusive) and also hired a 4 person speed boat! I don't feel this would be allowed in England as none of us had a license... however fun all the same as we cruised around Gozo!

We used the indoor pool once or twice as it was fresh water and very tranquil however the spa charged very expensive prices for massages.. some even 30 lira (£50) for 60mins!

The staff were amazing at the hotel... especially those who worked at the bar (Lino, James etc) they really worked hard for no praise at all and some even worked 90 hours a week! The pool bar staff however appeared to be 'off their faces' at times as from what we were told they spent more time partying and taking drugs in their spare time!

Travelling through Thomas Cook we were offered a range of trips... we went on a Pub Crawl to St Julians... which I would recommend as its the most exciting place on the island! Students did become annoying as they were everywhere!!! We also went to the Mettiteraneo Marine Park... where there was dolphin, parrot and sealion shows... however its a cheap rip off of the Florida version!

Apart from those trips out... we were tied to the hotel... the buses on the island were shoddy to say the least and taxis added up especially as the nearest town wasn't near! The airport transfer was long... and with no air conditioning in the mini buses we were sweating buckets!

Overall a great holiday and we really did enjoy ourself!... Hands down this is probably the best hotel on Malta... as the whole island is run down and looks like its been hit with a bulldozer! The resort was relaxing with its own small beach... however a week was MORE than enough! Will probably be sticking to another destination next year!!!

by H Boswell

1 2 3 »

Map for Ramla Bay Resort Hotel Closest airport: Malta International (MLA) 11.2 miles

Top traveller tips for Ramla Bay Resort Hotel
  • by Younggirlyour

" One outstanding highlight of my holiday was the Azure Window on the west side of Gozo. An amazing na "