Legend of the Seas Cruise Ship

, Royal Caribbean Cruises
hotel photo
Check the latest prices for this cruise
Show Prices Thomas Cook

1 2 »
Legend of The Seas - Very disapointing

"Just returned from an 11 night Baltic cruise sailing from Copenhagen to Stockholm. Our experience was not memorable. Even thought the ship was refurbished in 2013, one would be hard-pressed to notice what was refurbished. The ship shows its age. Our major complaint was the heavy stench throughout common area that started in Riga and continued for about 6 days. When we asked the Guest Services Personnel about the problem, we were told that the smell emanates from the water at the terminal. Only after we pressed one of the workers cleaning out the sewer system, he told us that the septic tank was not working correctly. We would have appreciated a frank response. As far as food, there was plenty of it but "same old, same old", unless you love stake 7 days a week. Restaurants are open very limited hours and good forbid you want to eat after 9:00 pm, you would have to order room service. In St. Peters burg we came back to ship after 9, I ordered room service. It took the 1 hour and 25 minutes to bring food. The food was cold and french-fries actually had ice on them. They forgot to deep fry them. It was awful. We spent 3 days in Russia, and it would have been nice to have some Russian food on the menu. I was not impressed by food selection at all. Before sailing, I ordered flowers for my wife's birthday, but flowers never came. After waiting all day, I had to track down the head of housekeeping only to be told that they forgot to load the flowers on the ship. How about giving me "heads-up", so I can buy flowers in the port? Wireless internet was a joke. There was no reception in the cabin only in public areas, and if you were lucky enough to connect, you were not able to make phone calls since the speed was slow. I thought that this is 21st century. Don't even talk to me about entertainment. Most of it was done buy what seems like a crew member that has another function during the day and entertained in the evening. "Not Ready for Prime Time". Sorry to say. I will not travel on RCI again..."

by AlexC

Breakfast & lunch awful!

"Overall the ship was very nice. Our room with balcony was lovely. Dinner at night was great.

What spoilt the trip was breakfast and lunch. A free for all and using plastic plates and cultlery.

Expected a lot more from such a fancy ship. If I wanted to go on a picnic I would have not paid so much for a cruise.

Free for all for a table. Could never eat breakfast together, as one had to stay behind to mind table.

Had to get own tea/coffee out of a machine with a plastic cup. Yuk.

This spoilt my whole trip.

• Holiday details: Feb 2011, All Inclusive, Booked Independently
by Molly

Amazing Royal Caribbean

"Really pleased to see the good review given to Legend of the seas Asia cruise, as myself and my husband will be doing the same trip in August. This will be our second time on Legend and have been on 5 of the other Royal Caribbean ships. Every one has been excellent. Our last one was Independance of the seas and it was unfaultable, yet there were people spending hours queuing up at the reception to complain about the most minor things. We have come to the conclusion that some people will want to moan about anything, no matter how good it is.These people might put off first time cruisers which is a real shame. I was worried the first time after reading negative reviews but know different now. Anyone considering a holiday with Royal caribbean should ignore them and find out how amazing it is for yourself."

by loulou1

Ignore ALL bad reviews - go and try it!

"We have just returned from our very first cruise, having spent 13 nights in the Far East on Legend of the Seas. On the basis of this we are now firm converts to cruising and think that this ship is EXCELLENT (and I would have been the first person to complain - if there had been anything to complain about!. Reading some of the more recent reviews, I begin to wonder if we were on the same ship!!! It was extrememly clean (and continually being cleaned), there were NO bad smells, the food in both restaurants was excellent in both choice and quantity and the staff could not have been more friendly or attentive. I would urge anyone thinking of trying this ship to ignore adverse comments and GO AND TRY IT! We did and came away thrilled from start to finish."

by E & R - First Time Cruisers

two star ferry

"my husband and i are just back from asia ports were great but the ship was appalling dirty the smell in the public areas was a disgrace the food in the windjammer was at best luke warm disgusting the main resturant was no better at best school dinners could not even get a baked potato service very bad could not get out off resturant before 11 at night we never got to see a show as started at 7.15 for second sittings not enough bar staff regularly ran out of beer our room 6084 was dirty shower useless as shower head kept swinging round the so called mini bar was 6 cans of assorted juices sitting on dressing table which was small to start with this ship needs to be fully refurbished or sank"

• Holiday details: Sep 2010, full board, booked with future travel
  • Advice: dont travel on this ship
by disappointed traveller

E Med & Egypt

"A brilliant introduction to cruising. Excellent ship, staff, room and food. Bit of a culture shock at first, as some of the programme was somewhat in your face and rather American. Once we got the hang of things and began to enjoy the cruise we realised just how good it really was. One duff meal out of 12 days. Didn't like the constant hard sell or the 15% gratuity added to every drink! Selling bottled water at 5 dollars a bottle for excursions was another no no, you get it free on the coaches! Excellent trips, reasonable value, book in advance to avoid the crowds on board. Huge amount to see and take in and you get to enjoy the odd day at sea as you tend to suffer from culture overload with a different port every day. Avoid the recommended shops, much too dear. Best place for jewellery was Turkey by far, avoid the carpet salesmen. Haggle for everything, no matter how small, we got some amazing bargains. Visit the pyramids but hang on to all your bags and don't talk to anyone - or you'll get charged for even looking at the beggars.On board shows were reasonable, two were terrible (butlins level) and two were excellent (west end quality) rest passable. Plenty to do from enlightenment talks to bingo.

Well worth the money and glad we did it

by barry morgan

It was very nice...

"It was really very nice trip.We went turkey.It was really amazing.Everybody have to visit Kusadasi(ephesus and virgin mary) and communucation isnt very diffucult.You can go with special tours of transport service.I can recommend one transport service.its Kusadasi Transport.Their webpage : http://www.kusadasitransport.com . Their prices very good and they are very proffesional.You have to visit virgin mary definitely.There is very mystic place.Thank you very much to legend of the seas for show me kusadasi..."

by DanielCullen

Mediterranean Cruise - Italy/Croatia

"The itinerary was as good as we expected and in general we had a very enjoyable holiday. Ports visited were Civitavecchia (Rome), Portofino, Livorno (Pisa/Florence), Messina, Split, Venice, Dubrovnik and Naples. However, Royal Caribbean did not live up to our expectations. The ship was clean and well maintained and for the most part the staff were pleasant and helpful. On the downside the food in the Windjammer cafe was, at best, mediocre and all that was available to eat after 9pm was unappetising pizza, burger or fries from the indoor poolside bar. The quality of the food in the main restaurant was sometimes excellent but could be poor on occasion.

The entertainment was not of the highest standard and there was not much in the way of organised activities. The advertised card room had been turned into a lounge which was available only to those who had paid extra for concierge services and it appeared to be unoccupied for most of the time. The result of this was that the library was overcrowded and was used mostly for game playing by those lucky enough to find a table. Do not go on this ship expecting organised card games, such as bridge, or to be able to have a quiet read in the library.

Having said all that, the main reason that I would be loath to venture on another Royal Caribbean cruise is the feeling that they were out to get as much return per passenger as possible during the cruise. I am told that this way of operating is spreading to other cruise companies. I suspect that it is to allow them to advertise very competitive headline rates but to recover income elsewhere. If this is the case, I think my cruising days may be numbered. I would rather pay more up front to avoid the risk of poor quality and the feeling of being ripped off! Some examples were:-

1. Alcohol Policy – This states that no alcohol should be brought on board and it is rigorously enforced by scans and searches on boarding the ship at each port of call. The suggestion is that this policy was introduced for health and safety reasons. If that is the case then why do they not allow duty free alcohol purchased on board to be taken to your cabin? I have little doubt that it is really to ensure that there is no alternative but to purchase overpriced drinks at the bars on board.

2. Shuttles – A $5 each way charge was made to get from the ship to the nearest town at several of the ports of call. I would have expected such shuttles to be provided as a complimentary service.

3. Excursions – While we had no real complaints about the quality of the few organised excursions we booked, the prices were very much on the high side. This also extended to the cost of taking a coach from Civitavecchia to Rome at the end of the cruise. We paid about €5 each for the train whereas coach tickets were advertised by Royal Caribbean at $85 per person.

While some may consider these to be minor complaints it was hard to avoid the feeling that the main objective was to maximise revenue and profits by any means possible. Nevertheless we did enjoy the holiday overall and I suppose you take your choice and pay your money!

by robert866stark

This was our very first cruise and it...

"This was our very first cruise and it didn't disappoint. From start to finish we had a wonderful time. First of all the cabins, we had upgraded to a category 8A with a private balcony and it was quite large with everything you could want. The beds are to die for they were so comfortable. The food catered for everyone with plenty of choice and the waiters in the Truffles Dining Room in the evening were wonderful, every night they (tried) to give us a song which had the restaurant in uproar, on our last night they sang leaving on a jet plane which had the men in stitches and the ladies a little tearful. Outside on the sundeck the sunbeds were plentiful, although the childrens pool was a little noisy as most of the entertainment took place through the day when the ship was at sea so we went to the adult pool which was much quieter. The ports visited were Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize and Cozumel, At Cayman we did the Island Tour ($52 each) which we didn't rate as it was boring but our friends did the sub-marine trip which they really enjoyed and Seven Mile Beach looked amazing, at Roatan we did our own thing and took a taxi to a beach costing us $25 dollars ($40 on ship) and had a lovely day, Belize was awful, don't know why the ship goes there, if you do visit Belize go on an organised trip with the ship as we were told afterwards that Belize is lovely you just need to know the right places to visit. At Cozumel we went horseback riding in the Mayan ruins ($99each) not much of them to see but enjoyed the day there. You can't go wrong at night to find good entertainment, the singers in Satchmo's Bar were fabulous and by the end of the cruise we had become firm friends. The only fault was the air conditioning , you can control it in you stateroom which was fine but in the public area's it was kept too cold. Bar prices were very similar to pub prices here, a little more expensive in your cabin, in all we spent around $1000 in the week for two of us which also included $300 in trips, we didn't skimp so we didn't think it was too bad, this also included a reservation at the supper club $30 each which we didn't think was any better than in the main restaurant. All in all we had a fabulous time and would certainly recommend it."

by A Lenaghan

Our second cruise, the last being on...

"Our second cruise, the last being on Airtours/MyTravel 'Sunbird', now Thomson’s Destiny. Went for this itinerary to eliminate the aggravation of airports, sailing from Southampton.

Party consisted of my Wife and I, children aged 7 and 12, and our Friends, a couple who have had 9 cruises.

Check in at Southampton was very easy...beats all the hanging around at airports.

We were soon escorted to our cabin, a 4 berth outside cabin, midships, deck2 Starboard side.

The cabin was clean, adequately furnished, although showing signs of being a little knocked about around the edges. We were soon visited by our cabin attendant Hermolin, a very pleasant girl that nothing was too much for. Her Towel Animals and characters were a great hit with the kids. Having had an inside cabin on the last cruise, we felt it was worth paying the extra for the outside cabin with its sea view. The location on deck 2 gave a steadier ride when the sea was choppy, compared to being higher up as well.

Our group had picked the 6.00pm sitting in the Romeo and Juliet Restaurant, and we were accommodated on a table for 6 right near the side...great ocean viewing. Our Waiters, Roger and Thomas were absolutely great, paying particular attention to keep the kids happy.

Food wise, there was always something that everyone liked, although portions could be on the small size...no bad thing....it is possible to over do it with all the food available in the self service Restaurant. Quality was good, though nothing exceptional.

Thankfully we are not wine drinkers. The cheapest was about £14 a bottle...rips off...

The self service Restaurant on Deck 9 had a terrific range, ideal if you like to be unconventional and mix and match food. It was never difficult to serve yourself here, but could be difficult finding a table inside.

Sadly, because of weather conditions, we docked at Cherbourg on the Sunday, instead of spending the day at sea...this was for our comfort and benefit, but Cherbourg was shut for the day, or so it seemed, and because of this change , we missed out on a looked forward to visit to St Peter port.

Drinks on board were mediocre and overpriced...£2.75 for 1/2 bottle of Newcastle Brown has to be the ultimate rip off. Cocktails were reasonable, but spirits were overpriced...still...I suppose this did stop some folk drinking too much.

The tours that we booked were expensive but enjoyable, the Caves of Nirja being a must visit.

The Dolphin excursion went well, and we would recommend the local taxi service at Gibraltar for the Rock tour...Our cab driver Joe gave excellent value.

Plenty of activities for the kids, but not used by our two, they always want to go with us.

One major complaint. My 8 Year old daughter needed a visit to the ships doctor for severe seasickness. This consultation and treatment...all 5 minutes of it cost us £75...just the same as our insurance excess. They must make a fortune this way.

The rule regarding children in the indoor pool was rigidly enforced...totally unnecessary when hardly anyone was in the pool, especially when the children were under parental control.

The Crew that we came across were generally pleasant, Captain Carl was always willing to have a few words when he was on walkabout.

Generally, we all enjoyed this cruise, and would use this ship or company again.

by M Percy

This was the last cruise out of...

"This was the last cruise out of Southampton, as the Legend will operate from Civitavecchia (ROME) next year. I have been on the legend a few times. Simply the ship, service, food, entertainment all excellent and earlier worries about children running riot have been addressed as they are no longer allowed in the nightclub after 10:30 and a ship wide curfew after midnight is enforced. Well done the Legend and Captain Sven (certain he used to manage the England world cup football team...) England’s loss is Rome's gain.

Only one gripe, the beer on board is controlled by Interbrew and that means the dire Boddingtons is served up as an English Bitter. No self respecting Englishman will now voluntarily drink Boddingtons after Interbrew closed the brewery in Manchester and transferred production (can't call it brewing) to a factory in Luton. The water for one is totally different - very hard and that kills the beer. Better they put FULLERS LONDON PRIDE or ADNAMS on board then millions of Brits will be very happy.

So in conclusion whatever they are doing on the Legend carry on doing it because they have got all the boxes ticked as far as I am concerned. Next year the navigator -twice the size- will steam out of Southampton, hopefully they will operate it as a US dollar ship, running up a bill in Sterling is no joke especially as I pay by AMEX in US dollars...

by J. Bray

I felt it necessary to post this...

"I felt it necessary to post this after reading the negative comments posted. Obviously everyone has their own expectations and opinions of a holiday, but my experience was different on both occasions I have sailed on "the beautiful Legend of the Seas" as Captain Nick would say. Myself and my hubby sailed for the first time in 2005 and loved it so much we booked for 2006 shortly after returning home. I liked that you can choose to dine formally or informally and you are not forced to dress up if you don't wish to. I tried a little of both in 05, but much preferred to dine in the Windjammer on both occasions. The food was excellent - there's a carvery style joint every night, plenty of fresh salad, themed nights for Italian, Indian Chinese food, and a huge choice in desserts. They even do a selection of sugar free desserts if you're trying to watch your waistline. The afternoon tea was out of this world - the nicest scones I've tasted in a long time.

Our cabin on both occasions have been spotless and in 05 they were a little dated, but seemed to have been revamped by the time we cruised this year. Our attendant this year, Ernesto, was always pleasant, polite and helpful and nothing was too much trouble.

This year we took my 9yr old nephew and I have to say the kids club is fantastic. Sign them up the first night and as he's 9 he could sign himself in and out which gave him a little independence. There is also a late club that you can pay for after 10pm should you wish to have some time to yourselves. The kids club is located away from all the bars and entertainment areas, which means there's not much bother to the adults on the ship. Obviously you get the odd one or two, but on my cruise the kids appeared to be well behaved.

The ports of call were fine - some I was more interested in than others. Corsica was lovely on both occasions. 05 we went to a beach for a few hours and 06 we went to a turtle sanctuary for the little 'un. Thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Also recommend the dolphin excursion in Gibraltar. We did a rock tour independently - there are loads of minibuses in the centre.

So would I recommend RCI? Well my nephew loved it so much he cried when we had to come home - I think that sums up our overall experience of both cruises!

by  T Keevil

1 2 »

Average rating

Good

Do you own Legend of the Seas Cruise Ship?

Stayed on Legend of the Seas Cruise Ship? Share your insight.