Alton Towers Hotel

Good

Value: 6.5/10
Cleanliness: 7.5/10

1 2 3 »
Great birthday weekend for my son !!

"Stayed at the Alton towers hotel Friday till Sunday in a family room for 5 (3 adults and 2 kids) basic room but that's all we needed. Booked water park tickets with the hotel as you get 2 days for the price or 1. Had a lovely meal in the secret gardens restaurant and on the Sunday morning it was my sons birthday and they reserved us a table and put some balloons on it (free if charge) and I had taken a cake which they had bought out and they all sang happy birthday to him.

I personally could not fault the hotel, but then I used the sun discount code for 50% off so it was not as expensive as some people may have paid.

Fantastic weekend- water park, theme park and crazy golf (£2 for Kids if staying on the hotel)

Will defiantly booking again xx

• Holiday details: Aug 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Take a big picnic for the first day
by Samantha P

A Good Family Break

"I found the hotel to be clean, well laid out, with some great unique features which kept my young daughter enthralled. Yes there were areas where time/use shows but unless I stay in a hotel that opened the day before I expect that. It wasn't dirty. The staff were lovely, apart from 1 guy working in Dragons Bar on the evening, I found they were quite rude, but all others very pleasant and helpful. My daughter loved it all."

• Holiday details: Jun 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Take the woodland walk to the park, if open
by paula7719

Not worth the money!

"We stayed at the Alton Towers hotel on 27th February for one night and we definitely will not be returning. The rooms are very outdated, the bath water took an hour to drain, the toilet seat was broken and the telephone did not work.

We had had a very long day and after a very pricey evening meal in the Flambo's restaurant (£71.00 for 2 adults and 2 children) we made our way to room 105. The entertainment was ok but we could hear everything from our room and all we wanted was some peace and quiet. I was not made aware at reception that we would experience such noise in our room. I spoke to the reception staff where they just merely said "well, it will finish soon"! The managers response was "it is a family hotel what do you expect". He did offer us to check out at 12 midday instead of 10am. Back at our room the noise continued for some time then all we heard was kids screaming outside our window and down the hotel corridor and doors slamming. This continued to well past 11.30pm and I did contemplate driving to another hotel. There was no chance of staying in our room til midday as the noise was terrible.

I fully understand it is a family hotel which is exactly why we chose this hotel but I wasn't given the option of another room.

Both our children and my husband had a cooked breakfast and the sausages were inedible. We returned to the water park which cost an additional £7.50 each, I understood it was £5 each.

This hotel is so overpriced and is quite tatty we definitely will not be returning.

• Holiday details: Feb 2014, Booked Independently
by Rainbow321

Everything at a price!

"Just spent my daughters 16th birthday at The Alton Tower hotel booked months in advance total 5 rooms in total for all family and room for teenagers at a cost of plus £200 each room for one night, added water park tickets an additional £150 plus £2 per towel, 6 teenagers tickets to the theme park £120 and dinner over £20 per head. At the price of the room I at least expected the water park included as part of hotel, also the service was poor for price clearly not enough staff or poorly trained. None of our party will return and I would advice paying the hotel price as you can stay nearby and still pay to use water park and theme park."

• Holiday details: Oct 2013, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Staying nearby as no benefit to £200 plus a room
by VMW

Not worth the money!!!

"Booked into this hotel so that we could spend a whole day at the theme park feeling refreshed. Room was tired and a bit dated. Bathroom was very dirty. We booked a family room with double bed and bunkbed (which my six year old kept banging her head on when she got up!! Mattress was also too small for the bed so she hit her knee several times when trying to get in/out of the bed).

Walls in the bedroom were paper thin. Could hear everything going on in the rooms surrounding us (even people in the bathroom!!!). Due to this none of us got a good night's sleep - the whole reason we booked this hotel!

On going to breakfast, we had to change tables several times because there was old food on the chairs. The breakfast was average.

I must say, however, that the staff at the hotel were very pleasant and helpful.

Will not be going back to this hotel.

by eddie

Fantastic!!

"Before going on this holiday we checked out quite a few reviews and they were very mixed so we were unsure what to expect. We had been to the Park many times before so had no worries about that but had never stayed in the Hotel.

We had a great time, the Hotel was beautiful, was very clean, the rooms were clean and really well furnished (great LCD widescreen TV). We asked for and got a view of the lake - only problem with that though was that it if you opened the window it sounded like it was constantly pouring down - although this was turned off approx. midnight. Shower was great, really powerful. Friends of ours were in Splash Landings so we got to compare the rooms and have to say that Alton Towers rooms are definately bigger. The theming at the Hotel was really good and the boat/balloon which the staircase surrounds looks stunning. Splash Landings we found to be smaller and noisier which some would welcome but we were glad to come back to the more relaxing AT Hotel.

The breakfast in the Hotel was brilliant, there was a huge selection, cereals, toast, fry up, fruit, yoghurt and danishes, croissants etc. All of which were delicious. Everyone left the Restaurant with their napkin full of goodies to stock up their bags for the day!!

We stayed for 2 nights and ate in Flambos on the first night. It was quite expensive (£14.95 for adult, £6.95 for child (4+) and £1.95 for -4), however the food was really lovely and included Chinese, Indian and English food. The desserts were to die for - Chocolate Fountain, and plenty of ice cream for the kids. On the downside it was really noisy (which we expected) and we had to chase up one of our drinks when it didn't appear. When you take into account the amount and range of food we ate - it was worth paying the price! I would however suggest booking as early as possible. The second night we ventured out of the Hotel and could find very little and when we did find somewhere we were not very impressed. Entertainment in the Hotel wasn't amazing - although we didn't see a lot of it. Ringo the Lemur was there to entertain the kids and has a little disco, which our little girl loved. I understand there was a Pirate show which was really good but we didn't get to see it.

The staff were great, friendly and really helpful. The extra hour in the park was great, we managed to go on RITA about 4-5 times!! and still had time to get on Oblivion before we were chased down by the masses arriving at 10am!! The Waterpark is great although some of the flumes were only open 12.15-4pm so we didn't get to go on them.

The only real downside - stopping it getting 10/10 was that the AT Hotel was rather hot - that coupled with the noisy fountain if we opened the window did make getting to sleep on the first night really difficult - by the second night we were so tired it didn't matter!

As for the park itself we didn't have too much problem going on the rides. We have a small daughter and are more than used to having to go on rides on our own so didn't hesitate using the single rider queue. On each occasion there could have been no more than 4 people in front of us and we got on a ride within 10 minutes at most. I queued for Air twice, once on my own - I managed to get a front seat, and once with a friend - we even managed to sit together! We asked about the parent Q share and were told that you're not meant to use this with the single rider queue (which sort of defeats the object - as you are a single rider afterall) in addition you need to get your card signed, but there was never anyone available to do this so we didn't bother.

I would agree that the overall price for the stay is quite high however there are many good deals around which discount the rate to a much more reasonable rate (we paid £80 per room per night, which is comparable to Premier Inn etc.

Overall can't wait to return next year.

• Holiday details: May 2009, Bed & Breakfast, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Definately worth it - but check out for a good deal first
  • Activities: The Theme Park of course
  • Good For: , City Breaks
by JTT2009

Well im just back from alton towers,...

"Well im just back from alton towers, and i am really not happy, the theme park was great but dont stay at the hotel.

The matresses in the bed rooms are like slabs of concrete, the entertainment is non existent unless u count a 20 minute sing song, as entertainment.

This cost nearly £1000 all in for 3 days i should have went all inclusive abroad for a week, i wont be holidaying in britain again they just dont know how to do it here.

The staff were friendly tho and thats about the best bit about the hotel, dont waste your time or money go abroad.

by P McGowan

It's three years since we last stayed...

"It's three years since we last stayed here and the hotel has really gone down hill since then. Staff are as friendly as ever but the hotel itself is in need of a makeover. The bathrom in particular was filthy. The entertainment is fine if it's your first stay but it had not changed word for word since our last visit. Food in both hotels is poor and over priced, the buffet in Splash landings hotel was almost inedible with vats of food swimming in grease and mouldy vegetables, choice in the secret garden restaurent was poor especially for vegetarians. Breakfast was adequate. As we were staying two nights we couldn't face eating there again and went to the Little Chef up the road where we got a tasty meal at half the price. The bar staff try to short change you, only for the odd 50p but it all adds up and make sure all valubles are locked away as my daughter had her nintendo game stolen.

Overall I do not think that this is the luxary hotel that it used to be, it is now very 'mass market' and it certainly did not deliver value for money. For an extra couple of hundred pounds we could have flown to Spain and stayed at Portaventura theme park resort hotel which offers much better value for money.

by K Mitchell

Overnight stay with family and...

"Overnight stay with family and friends at the Alton Towers Hotel and 2 days in the waterpark as a birthday treat! Fantastic time in the waterpark - great value for money, hotel is rather expensive especially during summer season but provides a lot of value ie evening entertainment. Grounds are beautiful. Will be back again soon!"

by womble123

Over priced, the stay, the food,...

"Over priced, the stay, the food, everything. I much prefer the sister hotel Splash Landings and would advise anyone looking for a bit of fun to stay at that hotel and not this one ....unless you are doing a business conference with a lot of men in suits, cos it does have a slightly librarian feel to it.

Of course the park makes up for a lot of the disappointment and if you have money to burn the suites are incredible but seriously stay in the adjoining splash landings if you need to stay in the area at all.

The good thing is you get into the park earlier than the public and the new swimming pool is heaven but you can get to both of these quicker at Splash Landings. I paid about £21 quid for steak and chips and I got a piece of steak the size of a childs palm and about six chips, oh yeah and half a tomato, then I got charged a small fortune for a cocktail and after he had taken my £12 he didn’t have half the ingredients to put in it, no cream, no flake etc and STILL wouldn’t give me my money back.

The room was tiny and cost us a bomb cos we went peak season and I will never go there again at that time cos I did feel totally ripped off. It was so expensive I really think our park tickets must be included and had horrid shock when they weren’t.

In short go for Splash Landings every time, the food isn’t wonderful there and is expensive but at least you can load up your plate and the atmosphere is the best at any hotel I’ve ever been at ... Funny to think they are only a short walk away from each other really.

by phase01

This was our 4th visit to the Alton...

"This was our 4th visit to the Alton Towers Hotels but my husband’s first to the Alton Towers Hotel itself as his previous 2 visits have been to Splash Landings.

I think the hotel is brilliant value for money and the customer service is second to none. We stayed 3 nights this time (the longest we have stayed) and got great value for money booking on the website.

We ate every night in Flambos and each night there were different dishes to choose from and my only complaint would be that we have an exceptionally tall 11 year old and had to eventually get her passport before we could get a child price in the restaurant for her!!

The breakfasts were great with a fantastic range to cover everyone and the staff were very very attentive.

The room itself was more than adequate for our needs. I would have preferred 2 single beds for the children instead of a single bed and pull out mattress but to be honest they were so tired by bedtime they just flaked out so it was no hardship at all.

The bathroom was well equipped and we had loads of towels and when my hubby went to ask for more shower gel he was given 4 little bottle and 2 bottles of shampoo!

Now the only downside was the entertainment but in fairness just for me and my hubby as the kids loved it - but please change Dicky Hart's routine! Has been the same jokes, songs etc for all our visits and bring back the entertainers who do games, face paints etc with the kids.

Having said that I HAVE to give it a 10/10 as we all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

by R Smith

The Alton Towers hotel is obviously...

"The Alton Towers hotel is obviously situated in a very convenient place for people attending the theme park, but it is also situated in a place that leads to easy access to a number of other places and roads.

The hotel itself was very pleasant with friendly staff that were always willing to help and give out information. The cleaners were very prompt in the morning and would not disturb you if you were still in the rooms.

The restaurant was Ok, but not upto the standards of other hotels. The prices are a little high and the food was of average quality. However, it was very spacious.

The bar area was nice enough and had sky TV which was useful for watching football in the evenings.

Overall it was a very pleasant stay at the hotel but the quality of food brought the rating down a little.

by A Bult