Anaxos Gardens

Good

Room: 7.5/10
Service: 7.5/10
Cleanliness: 8.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Anaxos Gardens

1 2 »
The Best Holiday EVER !! P=

"I went on holiday with my parents to Anaxos GARDENS (not Anaxos hotel). I just loved it. Being a 14 year old myself, I can say the this is a great place for children. The shallow end of the swimming pool is 1.4m deep, so if you have young children you need to keep an eye on them. Personally, I loved the deepness of it!

The area around the hotel is lovely. If you plan to go to the beach, I recommend you go to the left end of the beach as there are less stones. I also love the way that you don't pay for sunbeds, you just have to eat or have a drink at a taverna and you can use their sunbeds. It seems cheaper this way, too.

The local food is just nom (yummy)!! I recommend you visit a taverna in Petra called The Traditional. The meat is cooked for around 6 hours in a brick oven so it's nice and tender!

Maria and family were lovely and I miss them. We've alraedy decided we are going back next year! XD

• Holiday details: Aug 2011, Room Only, booked with Manos
  • Advice: Try lots of different tavernas around as all the food is different but still yummy!
by ShazziiBubble

Our Best Holiday Yet!!!!

"My wife, 14 year old daughter and I have just returned from a 2 week stay here and just want to go straight back.

Just to clarify the picture at the top of the reviews is the Anaxos Hotel and not the Anaxos Gardens and there are reviews for both mixed up together here.

This review is about the Anaxos Gardens.

So how to do a short version as there is so much that I could say: Basic but clean and comfortable studios, just what you would expect in Greece. Maria and the family are very friendly and accommodating. We had no air con when we arrived and as they had no spare apartments they fitted a new unit within 2 hours of our arrival.

The area is ideal for relaxing and is very Greek, just what we liked. The selection of local Tavernas should suit all needs but a taxi to Petra for more choice is only 5 Euros.

A 2 course meal with 1 litre of wine, a soft drink and large bottle of water ranged from 35 to 50 Euros - Outstanding Value

Sun Beds on the beach are not hired out, they belong to the local tavernas who expect you to use the taverna if you want to use the beds. I was a bit put off at first but then you find that you can have lunch and sunbeds all day for 20 Euros. I have paid more than that just for three sun beds.

There is sometimes a shortage of sun beds around the apartment pool but there is a notice asking people not to leave towels on the beds if they leave the pool area. Unfortunately this is ignored by most of the guests.

A word of warning if you have very young children, the pool starts at about 1.4 metres deep and just gets deeper.

Like many I cannot understand the bad reviews previously, but everyone has a different experience on their holidays.

So in summary, if you want England with sun or a party atmosphere then go to Corfu or Spain. If you want to relax and enjoy traditional Greek food and the lifestyle then this is the place for you.

A big thanks to Maria and the family, missing you already and see you in 2012.

• Holiday details: Aug 2011, Room Only, booked with Manos
  • Advice: Just do as the locals do
by Chris

Fantastic Holiday

"I had been to Anaxos Gardens 2 five years ago with my husband and two friends. We enjoyed every minute of it then and was hoping this time it would be the same. We were not disappointed. We were given the same room (5) which looked as if it had been just painted, the shower and toilet area were spotless, good shower and had sliding doors not a curtain.

The kitchen had a microwave this time, but as we only ate breakfast there we didn't use it. Kettle, toaster, iron, mugs etc.

Two single beds, clean linen, changed out towels after two days and the toilet bin regularly too.Plenty of wardrobe and drawer space. Table and chairs were outside on the little patio by the back door. Not very big but ample.

We were on the ground floor and people were passing some of the time, but usually we just said hello and they reponded back. Even the families of Maria, who we found very helpful and friendly. I cant understand how any visitor to this complex found the owners rude of otherwise.

Lovely pool area, plenty of sun beds and unbrellas, pool big enough to swim across, unfortunately for some families no baby or childrens pool.

There are three supermarkets close by and reasonable for everyday things, not as cheap as home but ok. and Very friendly. The first restaurant on the corner on the left after the supermarket is the one we used every evening. Very friendly,the young waitress was from Bulgaria and a lovely bubbly girl, food very good, just make sure the chicken is cooked that was our only problem.

The local bus service is very good, we went to Petra, and Molyvos. There was a bus timetable in our room.

We booked a boat trip from Molyvos round the coast. Dont book this in Petra as the boat doesnt always go there . Walk down to the harbour and ask there in a little shop at the bottom of the hill on the right.

We also walked along the beach and over the rocks to Petra took about hour, lovely walk if you dont mind clambering over or in the sea. We came home by bus. Also if you eat at any of the cafes on the front you have use of their sunbeds free.

If you ask Maria she will tell you how to get to a beach walking over the headland behind the apartments through the scrub and down the other side. but there is no transport back but walking slow it is lovely and the views are wonderful, there is a taverna there too.

I would recomment these apartments to anyone. It does take 1 and half hours from the airport but during the day this is like an islant tour.

Enjoy,my husband and I did.

• Holiday details: Jul 2010, Room Only, booked with Manos
by Sun lover

Great Holiday!!!

"Hi we booked this holiday without researching it first which is unusual for me!! after booking it i started to research the island of Lesvos, We booked it with some friends of ours who like quite holidays. I was worried that this place would be dead! I noticed a couple of bad reports on our accomodation, I'm pleased to say that we was very pleasantly suprised at the standard of the room we have been to Greece a few times before and all rooms (unless you book 5*) will be basic, they are only a base to operate from.

We found the owner Maria to be very friendly unlike the reports i'd seen on here!! all i can think is that people are serial complainers! If you are the kind of ppl who look for faulte in everything then you will find other ppl annoying!! Me and my wife and teen son enjoyed our stay here we had our nightcap there everynight.

The pool was very clean and we had some brilliant days in there, and met a lot of nice ppl there who we made good friends with. I told Maria about the negative comments i saw, which she read and not suprisingly she remembered these people in full detail!! that for me says a lot!!

The only time i ever saw Maria looking grumpy was in the mornings at 8, but then she only shut the bar at 4am lol.

Tony's bar is worth a visit. All the Tavernas we ate in where great, the place is not that vibrant ideal for a relaxing holiday.

There were plenty of places to eat in anaxos, no big disco bars and Petra is not far and is a nice walk along the beach, Molyvos was also worth a visit with its winding little streets.

Overall we had a great time and we will return there in the future and we will stay at Anoxos Gardens.

• Holiday details: Aug 2008, self catering, Booked Independently
by Gary from Hull

Peaceful Holiday

"I have been to Lesvos twice, it was my boyfriends 1st time. I love this Island (having been to about 15) I thought this would be perfect for a peaceful, relaxing 2 week holiday.

We booked Anaxos Gardens by pure chance, and I am so GLAD we did. The hotel is great, your very standard Greek apartments. The rooms are just as you would expect, so do not expect the Ritz!! Rooms are cleaned regularly and towels are changed too. The air conditioning was a blessing.

The Anaxos Garden bar is run by Maria, who is lovely, and was really nice chatting to her during the day and after dinner in the evenings, I tried working my way through her cocktail list (75 in total.

It was nice coming back to a friendly bar as Petra, Molyvos and Anaxos aren't overally lively.

The 2 weeks was just what we needed.

The beach in Petra (5mins away) and Anaxos are great. I couldn't fault any of the tavernas we ate in.

We went to the Hot Springs in Eftalou (30mins on bus) this is definatly worth doing. And we went to Molyvos (15mins on bus)for dinner and Petra.

It was really nice being able to enjoy our pool and have a great family running such a lovely hotel.

The motorbikes at night are barely heard and Maria does have a couple of lively evenings. Not anything to complain about or let ruin your holiday. It certainly didn't ours.

I would go back again in an instant.

• Holiday details: Jul 2009, Self Catering, booked with Thomas Cook
by Laura Ashley

We stayed at the Anaxos Gardens from...

"We stayed at the Anaxos Gardens from 4-11th September 2008 and loved it! The apartments are run by Maria, who speaks excelent english and are set in beautiful gardens looked after by Maria's mother. I have stayed in a few apartments in other greek islands, and the apartment itself was simple and clean, with very basic cooking equipment, but there was a microwave and toaster, which I have never had in a greek self catering apartment before!

The pool itself is nice & clean. The only critisism I have is that the shallowest part is 1.2m deep, so the pool would be no good for small children. The pool bar does good snack food and is quite lively at night! Everyone is really friendly and Maria chats to everyone and includes all in the conversations, so she makes it easier for guests to meet each other. Yammas Maria!

There are also some of the friendliest cats ever at the apartments. Watch out for Ginger, with her 6 kittens, and our constant companion, a white & brown 5 month old tabby who took a shine to us and was outside our door every moring, and would wait for us to get back in the evening! If we could of taken him home with us, we would have!

Anaxos is a typical greek resort, with a beach of course sand with plenty of sunbeds which are very cheap to hire. There are plenty of good restaurants and some bars. It is worth sticking about till the end of the day to watch the sun set into the sea. The best place is the 'Best View' snack bar on the hill at the east end of the beach, where you can see right over to Petra and Molyvos as well as over Anaxos.

A quick 'hello' to Antony, in the supermarket round the corner from the Anaxos Gardens, who always had a smile and a 'Kalimera' for us every day!

Both Petra and Molyvos are worth a visit, especially if you like buying jewelery!

The only bad thing I can say about Anaxos is the youths on their motorbikes & mopeds using the lanes through the village as a rat-run. They are quite noisy at night. Anaxos would be perfect if the small lanes had a few speed bumps to stop them racing.

Both me & my boyfriend would thoughly recommend Anaxos & the Anaxos gardens, and will come back again! Efharisto Lesvos!

by  LK Blanchard

My fiancee and I have just returned...

"My fiancee and I have just returned from a most wonderful weeks holiday in Anaxos.

We stayed in Anaxos Gardens it was fab. The room was basic which is what you would expect you dont go on holiday to stay in your room. The room was clean and cleaned reg, my fiancee and I were in the pool from 9.00am (that's 7.00am English time) for a couple of hours it was so clean. A bit of sunbathing by the pool then a very welcoming breakfast cooked by Maria. Then off to the towns for shopping. All towns nearby or local bus which only cost 1.40 euros . Then back to Anaxos Gardens, shower and in the pool again for three hours then a bit of sunbathing, shower then off to one of the many lovely Tavernas in Anaxos. Then a stroll back to the bar area in Anaxos Gardens to finish off with a cocktail for my fiancee and a nice cold pint of beer half the price and better tasting than home. Although the complex was full it wasnt crowded all the guest were so great nobody ignored you but you still done your own thing. Although there would be no problems with families, bear in mind this is not Disneyland no fancy Theme Parks here, the kids might get a bit bored. The only disappointment for me was we only had 7 nights. But if I can find the deal my fiancee and I will be going back for 14 nights to the same venue. To all the staff at Anaxos Gardens and to all the people of Anaxos, Petra, Molyvos, I would like to say a big thank you for such a lovely holiday.

by L Hayman

well I was a bit sceptical about...

"well I was a bit sceptical about coming to Anaxos, seeing as I booked it on a whim, unusually for me I did not look up where I was going before I booked, when I arrived I must admit i thought "what the hell have I done!" but, after getting over the initial shock of how tiny and quiet this resort was, i was fine.

Make no bones about it, if a loud and dancing and partying holiday is what you are after then DONT come here lol. It is a beautiful little seaside resort, it has more then enough tavernas to eat at, Paradise, and Tony's come recommended, but to be fair we did'nt have a bad meal.

As for Maria, well we found her to be very chatty and helpful, she did look grumpy in the morning(sorry Marie) but she put me straight on that.

The pool was great, the snacks at the bar where very good also.

We had room number 7. and it was fine, actually better then I was expecting.

Yea sure they were basic, they were very clean and ours had a microwave! but this is Greece! it's only somewhere to sleep, and we did sleep very well, we did get some noise from the motorbikes going up and down the strip, but to be honest we were that tired it mattered not.

I was a bit concered about the last 2 comments posted on this site before I came, but I was determined to find out for myself.

I found Maria to be lovley and helpful, she even put the footy on for us! even though I prob think she did'nt want to lol!!

The atmosphere around the pool area was the best i've known, we made some really nice friends whilst there(Hank, Leslie,Sophie,Sarah,Dianne & Rennie, and more)

We did visit the museam at sigri, which cost us 10 euro's. And to be honest was a complete waste of money! lol but hey you live and learn people.

Anaxos is a place you either love or hate, no middle ground.

If you have roudy teens that want to party then dont come here, they will die of boredom.

If you want to chill by the pool and stroll accross beaches and do water sports then you will be fine.

I travelled with my wife and 13 year old son, he made some friends out there and it felt safe enough for him to wander off on his own if he wanted to.

Alison and Costa at Omega were fantastic, my friend hired a car from there as well and when he had a scrape in it,they were great. Also they do a nice breackfast there.

We are seriously thinking of returning next year as we enjoyed the atmosphere so much, thats how much we enjoyed the holiday.

We visited Petra & Molivos on the bus, which only cost us 1.40 euro taxi from Petra 5 euro.

We ate out in Petra, which gets very busy on a night.

The church on top of the rock is well worth a visit, stunning views, as is the Castle at Molivos.

The only real gripe I would have is that it did seem expensive to visit, but if you haggle you can pick up some good bargains.

So please dont be put off by other comments made here, I nearly was but I'm glad I came here.

Like I say, you'll either love it or hate it, but remember Greece is mostly basic accom and life is about descoveries!

Enjoy your holiday, and Maria YAMMAS!! thanks for making our stay a pleasant one, and for the history lessons!!!

by G Farr

Terrible!! this was the worst holiday...

"Terrible!! this was the worst holiday of my life! We didnt have a brilliant start to our 2 week break at Anaxos Gardens as had problems at the airport, however I was hopeful that 2 weeks relaxing in the sun was just what we needed.

Unfortunately, this was not to be and we had 2 weeks of stress and I could not wait to get home!!! How awful to write this about a holiday we have worked all year to save up for. The person who runs Anaxos Gardens Maria was rude, miserable and very unwelcoming, as were her daughters. We were at the front of the appartments where for the first week were woken very early to the joyous sounds of mopeds/cars, the mobile market things who sell their products with a megaphone, and also Maria's family - not the relaxation we had hoped for. Whenever my partner and I were on our way out, the family simply stared at us as if they wanted to kill us!! No smiles or friendliness whatsoever, it was very uncomfortable. However, funnily enough Maria seemed to engage well with men there but all I got was a frosty look and stares at my breasts.

In the end we spent as little time as possible at the accommodation as it was just too depressing, we did not feel welcome at all. I was a shame we had to endure it for 2 weeks.

I would not recommend staying at these appartments at all, in fact because of my experience I do not think I would want to go to Lesvos ever again. However, if you do have the misfortune to be allocated this accommodation I would highly recommend the 'Tropicana' taverna on the beachfront, and also 'Paradise' located right at the end - both were run by absolute diamonds - so so friendly.

by  A Smith

WORD OF WARNING TO ANYONE WHO IS...

" WORD OF WARNING TO ANYONE WHO IS THINKING OF STAYING AT ANAXOS GARDENS I WOULD STRONGLY ADVISE YOU TO THINK AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

The owner Maria is rude when we arrived we were greeted by a point and a grunt to our room the dreaded number 14 where the fridge door didn't close you are on the ground floor on the main walk way for everyone and wait for it there are no curtains at the windows so be prepared to undress in the dark everyone who walked past our room looked into the window which was directly in front on the bed. The other door that leads on to the balcony bashes the bed as it is opened.The room was small and not clean on arrival and very minimal. As the room was directly next to the green coloured swimming pool and pool bar be prepared not to get to sleep until 3 or 4 in the morning and be awake again by 8 when they start work the fumes from the pool refresh you in the morning as a wake up call. You could always complain to the rep Brett who will do absoloutley nothing to help you. In the end we found ourselves alternative accomodation at Chrysoulas which is just up the road and is excellent 10/10 this can be booked through Kosmar whose rep Laura is very helpful. When we spoke with locals on the island even they said that Maria was rude and not helpful and that they had had lots of trouble and bad reports from there. Anaxos Gardens is one of the places where you can exchange money and we heard people moaning about how rude she was when they went to exchange. Think 1/10 is over generous.

by Lawson

I have just returned from another...

"I have just returned from another fabulous holiday in Anaxos, the Yialas Family at the Hotel welcomed me back with open arms in true Greek style! - A huge Thank You.

The atmosphere is, as always, friendly & relaxed just like a laid back Greek holiday should be.

I am certainly not over 50 & still managed to find plenty to do in the company of other holiday makers seeking the same 'chilled' approach to a de-stressing holiday.

The Hotel is the cleanest I have ever experienced & the food is without a doubt worth every Euro.

If you are after a typical Greek holiday than this is the place to come - I am booking mine for 2008 right now.

by C Tanner

What a gem. Everyone so very...

"What a gem. Everyone so very helpful. Had no problems, but would have liked a change of sheets as we were there for a week and didn't get one, and thought that they would have provided the toilet rolls! Towels were changed regularly though.

Food served there was great (although on a couple of occasions there were only toasties available but these were good). Fantastic range of cocktails in the bar. Pool was very clean and gardens were very nice. Will definately be going there again.

If you want a relaxing holiday and don't want to do anything, this will suit, although the Rep can arrange excursions if required. Really didn't go anywhere else because it was too hot and didn't want to leave the pool. Next time will stay for two weeks. The restaurants on the door step are really good and would recommend Vassallis Grill (his potato salad and garlic bread are so good), which is just round the corner from the Gardens. We got what we wanted from this holiday - total relaxation.

by D Bell

1 2 »

Map for Anaxos Gardens Closest airport: Mitilini (MJT) 30.2 miles

Top traveller tips for Anaxos Gardens
  • by Laura Ashley

" Hiring a jeep and visiting the West of the Island. The restaurants in Molyvos overhanging the cliff. "

• by Gary from Hull

" Great for a peaceful holiday very relaxing "

• by Sun lover

" Go there, its wonderful, just no childs pool. "