Waterside Apartments

Good

Room: 7.5/10
Service: 8.5/10
Location: 9.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Waterside Apartments

Enter your dates:

1 2 »
holiday 2010 by happyb

We stayed at the waterside in June of this year and were totally delighted with the cleanliness of the room the warm and friendly welcome. Nothing seems to much trouble to the owners and their employees.

The view from the beautiful gardens are stunning; the sort of view usually reserved for really expensive hotels.

Also there is the convienience of the swimming pool and amenities immediatley opposite the Waterside which also boast the coolest breezes in Kefalonia so welcome on a hot day.

I cannot speak highly enough of this briliant holiday location and will be returning as soon as I can

• Holiday details: Jun 2010, Room Only, booked with Thomas Cook
  • Advice: yes this is my most favourite place in Europe

desperately in need of updating by CAT

We stayed at the Waterside Apartments in May 2010. Simply loved Agia Efimia and the whole Island was beautiful, but the Waterside is in desperate need of updating. No facilities for cooking at all in the rooms, very small totally inadequate bathrooms, gruesome decor but it all could be so nice with a bit of money spent. The gardens are very pleasant but the owners do not really like you using them!!!!!!! A notice was put up one day asking us, (paying guests might I add) not to move the furniture from one side of the garden to the other. This being a matter of some twelve foot and there were only four sun loungers for 12 rooms x 2 persons, 24 in total, hey come on. Would definately not recommend and would not stay there again. There are quite a few other lovely apartments in Agia Efimia, namely via Nikos Car Hire.

• Holiday details: May 2010, Room Only, booked with Thomas Cook
  • Advice: Beautiful Island,

Wonderful holiday, one of our best by dpandagirl

My husband and I have enjoyed three holidays at this family run apartment block, two with a tour operator, and one arranged independently. The family is friendly, welcoming and helpful. Hubby wanted access to intranet, although the village has free wi-fi he had some difficulty finding a signal, the family gave us access to their network connection, great for hubby needing access to the all important world cup footie information.

W e have had rooms both on the road side of the building and those overlooking the sea. Whichever side we have been on we have enjoyed out time here. Although there is regular traffic on the road, it is not constant. My husband and I had no problems sleeping in rooms that are on the side of the road.

The sea view rooms have the most fantastic views, but if you don’t have a sea view, there are gardens that overlook the sea. This year, we had a family holiday with my mum, sister and their partners. We spent many days in the gardens , eating breakfast, recovering from swimming in the wonderful bay and reading. A couple of times we took drinks into the garden and enjoyed the balmy Mediterranean evenings. It was wonderful! All of my family were more than happy with the apartments.

There are steps to go directly into the sea, but , as I have a penchant for falling I tend to use the small beach a three minute walk up from the apartments. However, I did see a man with only one leg managing very well to get into the sea and enjoy a swim – and my hubby who had a hip replacement last year also had no problem.

The rooms are basic, but functional, with a two ring hob, small fridge. Rooms are clean, and are cleaned daily , and towels and sheets changed on alternate days. Air conditioning is 5 euros extra, but well worth it. The bathrooms have great showers with good water pressure and temperature. All rooms have a balcony area with table and chairs for breakfast. There is somewhere to hang out any washing/swimming stuff. There is also off road parking next to the apartments.

My husband and I have had holidays all over the world, but there is something special about aghia efimia and we love the waterside apartments and the family who run them.

Our thanks go to Teresa, Vangelis and Toynya( not sure if this is the right spelling?!?) who made our stay a happy one!

• Holiday details: Jun 2010, Room Only, Booked Independently
  • Advice: It's a really great place to chill out, read, enjoy good food. Has the feel of a real community

"DirtY " by BaTco

Location: Agia Efimia, Cephalonia, Ionian Islands, Greece, Europe

I have wrote to Thomas Cook about Waterside (Manny Fontenla-Novoa,

Group Chief Executive Officer ) .... Sadly Waterside could be Great ! but the Two brothers who look-after the Maintanace are Very Old & in Poor Healh .

We were the first Guests in room 7 , & it was Dirty , Small , Fridge Very Noisey , No way to Lock the DOOR at Night !! .... Electric Socket over BED , 1940 Toilet/washbasin ... Sidelamps Walking !!! " See " Photos .

No Where to prepare Food ....No Room to DO-Anything .... ok its Greece but come on Clean the SINK ....Clean under Sink in Room .... Buy a New Fridge ,it was Very Noisey ALLDAY & Night . The DOOR Banging at night in the Wind .

Look & Photos about SEA access !!!! You need to be a Mountain Goat to GET to Water ! ( next Door Property has Great Wooden Platform with Steps ... but be Very Very Careful climping over ROCKS !!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED ! )

Now its more like 10/15 mins to Harbour & no Shops / Supermarkets were CLOSED between 3pm & 5 :30pm EVERY day ! come ON open up Agia Efimia we need Water, Milk ,Shopping when we Arrive !!!!

Good Car Hire from Nikos Car Hire back street near Harbour !

Some very very nice GREEK Tavernas ..... Did 422 kilometers round Kefalonia , Skala ,Best for Drinking & night life .... ! Some Great Beaches .

Stavros Sorry i have had TO write this Revue as i SEE it & Your family ARE very nice But its time YOU took over & gave them a Rest and Updated what could be a Lovely Place .

Sea Views & Garden are GREAT !

PS ... Makis over road was CLOSED & HE WOULD NOT LET anybody use HIS POOL !

• Holiday details: May 2010, Self-Catering, Booked Independently

Very Disappointed with Waterside Appartments by Disappointed

We have just returned from our third visit to Aghia Efimia and this was our first stay at the Waterside Appartments. We were unlucky and had a rear facing room, but realised this might be the case when we booked. However, what we were not prepared for was the tiny size of the room (number 11)and the terrible state of cleanliness. We have holidayed for many years in Greece and Turkey and know that accommodation on the whole is very basic, but we must say that these were the dirtiest rooms we have experienced. We took my parents, who had the room next door, and apart from having a slightly larger balcony and a well needed window in the toilet, their's was just as bad. We arrived late on our first day, due to the Greek stikes, only to find there was no hot water. We mentioned it to our rep the following day and lo and behold we had water, but don't get too excited, it was just enough for one of us to have a shower. The next day there was no hot water again, so we rang the number we had been given by our tour company. Within 10 minutes we had a very annoyed Greek man arrive at our room, to explain in a raised voice "that there was 24hrs hot water, we just had to let it run for 10 mins." We knew this wasn't the case and didn't even bother arguing with him. We think that because it wasn't too sunny the solar heating wasn't working to its full potential and they didn't want to turn on the emersion. Yes, the garden was lovely but after day 2 the cushions were removed from the stone seats in the prettier part, as the guests at the front had gone home. We wouldn't recommend staying here at all, especially through a tour operator as it seems you get a second rate service.

• Holiday details: May 2010, Room Only, Booked Independently
  • Advice: If you really want to go there, don't book through a tour operator.

Rubbish Room by Elaine Holmes

This was the first holiday my husband and I had had for about five years and was bought for us as a present by family members. Although the island and Agia Efimia were lovely, the room at Waterside Apartments was diabolical. It was on the front facing the road despite us having particularly asked for a quiet room at the back, it was tiny, there was no room to unpack and no room to put cases. The self catering facilities were laughable and the "sea view" was obtainable by taking a right angled turn from the balcony and wandering down towards the next room's balcony. It was impossible to sit in the room because there was no room and we oculd not sit on the balcony in comfort because of the constant traffic and the fact that the part of the balcony where you could see the see was situated straight under the toilet window! I can say that the bed linen and towels were changed regularly and kept clean but we were expected to pay extra for the air conditioning which we refused to do and consequently had to have the squeaky overhead fan on nearly all the time we were in there. We were very disappointed particularly to find that the gardens were also segregated and we were not supposed to go into the attractive flowered part of the garden but to stay in the paved area - this was apparently organised by the room number you had! Room 10 should not be let out as a double room - it isn't!!!

• Holiday details: Sep 2009, Room Only, booked with Thomas Cook
  • Advice: Pretty place
  • Activities: Spiros

Waterside - a slight moan by Martin & Debbie

we had a great time staying at the Waterside Apartments and although basic, would be happy to recommend them as a place, feel that readers ought to be aware of a "nasty". we booked this holiday well in advance and requested to Manos that we have a sea view apartment - this was noted but not guaranteed.

on arrival, with another couple also booked with manos and who had also requested the same sea view, we were both given rooms facing the extremely noisy road and not towards the very beautiful bay. on enquiring further, the owners of the apartments say that no rooms with sea views had been allocated whatsoever to manos/thomas cook at all and the only way to get one of these rooms is by booking directly with them (easily done and a lot cheaper it seems!- the owners have a contact in UK)

Manos/Thomas Cook were not at all interested in my complaint and after three months of waiting for a reasonable explanation we have given up with the sworn promise that w will never use them again for any holiday or business trip. their POV being they couldn t guarantee a sea view, my point of view is that they had no sea view to guarantee in the first place so why pretend, and in particular why take my money under this pretence. the moral is don t book with Thomas Cook, it really is as easy and cheaper and you will get a far better holiday at this delightful place if you do it yourself.

Management response from Stavros Ballas, Owner 27 Jan 2009

I would like to clarify that Thomas Cook / Manos rents from us exactly 50% of our direct sea view rooms so it is not accurate that you will not have a direct sea view room if you booked with Manos. Many previous guests who booked with Manos and stayed at the second floor rooms located at rear side of the hotel can confirm that. I believe that a sea view request is "noted" indicates that if Manos haven't fully booked their direct sea view rooms to guests who have paid extra for them, then other of their guests could be upgraded to move to these rooms. I would also would like to point regarding the noise at the back rooms that all sea front accommodations in Agia Efimia are located by the main village road due to the shape of the village. Waterside is the only rental accommodation in Agia Efimia which is located below the road towards the sea so we can offer to our guests direct sea views and tranquillity in our landscaped garden without the road between them and the sea. We would like to apologise to any of our quests for any inconvinience we may have caused. thank you Waterside apartments

• Holiday details: Sep 2008, Self Catering, booked with Manos

we have just returned from the... by  P Wade

we have just returned from the waterside apartments and found them to be one of the nicest we have stayed after many visits to the greek islands . The apartments are basic but spotless and the gardens are beautiful . the location is fabulous with views over to ithaca which are stunning . I would recommend these apartments to anyone who likes a typical greek experience i. e. kind and welcoming people who want you to enjoy their lovely and peaceful village .

Great holidays, booked directly... by G Williams

Great holidays, booked directly through their web-site and I wasn't dissapointed.

The views were unique, their garden was an oasis in Agia Efimia and the people very friendly.

The rooms were spotless clean and had all the amenities we needed.

I was so happy I have choosen Waterside after looking all the alternative accomodations, high up on the mountains or hidden in the back streets.

Nothing better than waking up to the views of Ithaka and the harbour, having your breakfast in your balcony a few feet away from the sea.

Can't wait to go back.

Gavin and Sandra

Winchester

We have just returned from a holiday... by  J Hill

We have just returned from a holiday at the Waterside Apartments and I have to say we were disappointed with the overall standard of the accommodation. Our room overlooked the road and it was very noisy from about 7.30 in the morning. I have been to Greece and Turkey before so I know the standard of accommodation can vary quite considerably, but in my opinion, the Waterside Apartments fall short. Kefalonia is very beautiful and we will be back but not to the Waterside Apartments.

Well what can i say about the... by Lr Sharp

Well what can i say about the waterside apartments that has'nt already been said!

Fantastic views over looking the sea & across to the village & very friendly people who make the time & effort to speak to you. We also spent most of our time relaxing in the gardens & at night had some drinks at the poolside bar at Makis. The staff there were also very helpfull & so friendly. We have met a couple of great friends on this holiday & cant wait until next June so that we can go back. The only downside was the fact that nobody had warned us about the amount of earthquakes they get each week & the first one we experienced scared the life out of us. If anyone is going there soon, please say hello to Chris the barman at the poolside & ask for a BMW cocktail ! He will know who you are on about if you mention that...... Roll on next June!

Amazing holidays, great place to stay... by Gill

Amazing holidays, great place to stay with unbelievable views.

Despite the heat their garden was an oasis and you can dip to the sea which is below the garden.

The owners are very friendly, and you can book your room through their web-site too.

Agia Efimia is a very beautiful village with lots of taverna along the marina.

Will recommend to anyone. We have booked again for July 2008 with my daughter and her familly

Sam and Poppy Gill

London

1 2 »

Stayed at Waterside Apartments? Share your insight.

Map for Waterside Apartments

Waterside Apartments photos (6 traveller photos)
Top traveller tips for Waterside Apartments
  • by Martin & Debbie

" Restaurants were ok, best thing to do is get a car and explore "

• by BaTco

" Hire a JeeP & tour Around ! "