Centauro Hotel

Good

Room: 7.5/10
Cleanliness: 8.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Centauro Hotel

Fantastic Break

"This hotel was perfectly positioned, it was about 5 minutes walk to the Rialto Bridge, and about 10 Minutes to San Marco Square if that, but it was in a nice quiet location just off the hustle and bustle, the rooms were a nice size,it had a safe which was free, a nice size bathroom with a good power shower if you have trouble walking ask for a lower floor room as we were on the second floor and there were about 40 steps. The reception was 24hr and the staff were very helpful and friendly. The breakfast consisted of croissants, rolls, ham & cheese, cereals, yogurts, juices, tea coffee and you could eat as much as you wished. The hotel was easy to find just head towards Campo Manin Square, there is a big bank on the left and a souvenir shop in the middle, the hotel was down the little alley way in between.

Be prepared for the high prices, and make sure you change up for your Euro's before you go as the exchange rate over there is a lot lower. Even outside the main square food and drink could be quite expensive, best to try and find a supermarket and buy water and food from there, there are lots of great restaurants and places to eat most places charge between 10% and 12% for service charge and then maybe and extra 1.50 euro cover charge on top, there was a few that did not charge this.

I would recommend if you are going to travel by boat alot to get a 72 hour pass this means you can travel anywhere and only costs about 33 euro's per person, if you buy a single ticket you pay around 6.50 euro one way per person.

All in all a fantastic break take some comfy shoes it you are doing a lot of walking as lots of bridges to cross.

• Holiday details: Sep 2011, Breakfast Included, booked with Thomas Cook
  • Good For: , City Breaks
by kitty

Loved the Centauro

"Great location in the heart of San Marco. Clean, very friendly staff and nice bedrooms. We paid 100 euro per night in June which was well below other prices, but there was no catch - this is an excellent hotel and is highly recommended."

Good Hotel

"Have just returned from a great stay at the Centauro - glad I didn't read the other reviews before I went! The location was perfect and we were upgraded for free to a room with canal views from two windows. The stairs are steep but to see Venice you have to be fit. We found the staff to be friendly, the rooms very clean and the morning breakfast enjoyable. Would recommend it to friends as it is reasonably priced by Venice standards."

No elevator!!!

"The hotel's location is very convenient. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The only problem that it does not have an elevator. I stayed on the third floor and at check in, the guy at the reception offered me help with my compact luggage, and promised me that I would get help at check out. The stairs are uneven and steep, at check out Francesca the receptionist, a very rude woman that should not be at the hospitality business , declined my offer to help me with my luggage. Fortunately, I was able to get help from another guest."

by A TripAdvisor Member

Not exactly what we had in mind!!!

"My partner and I have just returned from a 3 night break in this hotel. The hotel itself was conveniently located for all the Venice sights and was relatively easy to find. We booked a superior double room with a canal view. Unfortunately, the double bed was a double bed with two single mattresses pushed together - not very superior! I spent most of the night slipping between the gap and heaving myself out of it!!! We were put onto the 3rd floor and the canal view that we paid extra for was somewhat disappointing! You had to lean half way out the window to see it and it was very difficult to get to the window anyway due to the shutters!! The room was, however, very clean. It contained a small fridge with a variety of drinks but the room did lack tea/coffee facilities. Our room was also extremely cold and Venice in February is on the rather chilly side!!! Our room was extremely noisy with the passing canal traffic but, hey, our fault - we booked a room with a canal view!!! The staff were pleasant and offered tourist information and somewhere to put our cases on that day that we flew home (evening flight). The breakfast was also filling and the staff were welcoming and accommodating. I wouldn't stay here again as I found other hotels on Venice that I would, if I returned, investigate. I would also look for a hotel with a view of the Grand Canal. Generally speaking, we were left a little disappointed but still have many happy memories of a great time in Venice!"

Just ok

"The hotel is very convenient to St. Marks Square. The breakfast is plentiful, but the staff is rude and unwelcoming. The rooms are nice, and the hotel, generally speaking is very charming, but there are no elevators and if you are unlucky enough to get a room on the 3rd floor, you better make sure your in shape."

Very pleasant hotel

"Had a small single room in this hotel which was quite pleasant and very reasonably priced - the bed was soft and comfortable for me. The breakfast was exceptional - lots to choose from and tasted great. The staff were also quite pleasant and friendly. Great location as well."

Very Disappointing

"From the on-line ratings and photos, we expected a much nicer room than what we were given. We were very glad we only had one night there.

The room was small with beat up walls, a shuttered window opening to a brick wall, a very small bathroom with a shower curtain bar held up by what looked like coathanger wire, and a chandelier that was about to fall from the ceiling.

On a positive note, the breakfast room was quite nice and the breakfast good.

Overall, we would not recommend this hotel unless they would guarantee a room that is as nice as they advertise.

Disappointing Hotel

"We were very excited about our 3 nights stay in Venice; however this hotel is certainly not for romantics, and as we were celebrating our wedding anniversary this was really a terrible choice for us.

We paid alot more for this hotel through our travel agency than the discounted rates on-line, so we had thought the hotel would provide us with one of the preferred rooms... however, that did not happen!

We had the smallest room...it just fitted the bed, PLUS it backed onto the breakfast room, so each morning we were awoken not by the romantic sounds of gondolas but with breakfast dishes and general noise in the kitchen, just horrible. The bathroom was TINY, although clean it had two steps up to the door...reminded me of a caravan!! Our only window looked out onto a concrete wall!! We did not experience any exceptional service in fact no service at all from the staff they seemed preoccupied with chatter amongst themselves. My husband struggled with two suitcases up the stairs without any offer of help from them. We will not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Everything was wonderful!

"My husband and I recently stayed at the Hotel Centauro for three nights prior to a cruise. It was perfect. The location was ideal. A 3 minute walk to the Rialto Bridge and about 5 minutes to St. Mark's Square. The area was quite and just close enough and far enough from everything.

We stayed in room 20 with 2 huge windows looking over a lovely canal. During the day we could hear the gondolas going by. Some people complain about the noise late at night and early in the morning. We were usually up by 8AM and never found this a problem. The room was very nice and clean - even a little modern - with a beautiful very modern bathroom. Everything was very comfortable. The breakfast every morning was wonderful - danish, fruit, ham, cheese, coffee - really anything you wanted as a typical Italian breakfast. When we return to Venice this is where we will stay - no hesitation.

Great location, Nice staff, Sufficient room, OK breakfast, Great price

"We just returned from a trip to Europe and stay at the Hotel Centauro in Venice Italy. We wanted to stay in Venice rather than in Miestre and were finding all of the hotels in Venice proper to be very expensive. We ended up booking directly with the Hotel Centauro on their website and secured a room for 4 for 3 nites for 399 euro total. Not bad, considering the other prices of other hotels. This hotel is difficult to find initially, but once you find it, it is really close to St. Marks and the Grand Canal. Our room was on the 2nd floor, thank God, not any higher, because there aren't any elevators. The front desk clerk helped us up with our luggage. The room was small as well as the bathroom, but that was expected in Venice. They were clean, but musty. We opened the windows to get some fresh air in and the musty smell dissipated quickly. The only prob. was the mosquitoes. I had heard about them but figured early April was too soon for them. I was wrong and we all got eaten by them. We learned to keep our windows closed. Breakfast was very standard and simple. Again, great location and great price. Book directly with the hotel and save even more. We were glad we chose to stay directly in Venice, and the pricing at this hotel made it feasable for us. Ciao!!!"

by NancyF