Pontins Brean Sands

Cleanliness: 4.5/10
Location: 6.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Pontins Brean Sands

1 2 351 »
In The Words Of Dione Warwick - WALK ON BY !

"Booked for 1 night - stayed for 1 hr ! Room smelt like the Gents toilet at Charing Cross station. Pillows stained and grey , dirty microwave - I could go on but what is the point. Is anyone from either Pontins or Britannia Hotels actually reading any of the comments left here or are we all just wasting our time. How are they still open and taking peoples money in this day and age. Is there anyone out there who can stop them ? It really would appear not. They are a law unto themselves and I actually believe that the top management at Britannia cant believe how they are still getting away with it ! If you Google Pontins Brean Sands Food Hygiene Rating you will see they actually scored a 0. How can a food outlet score 0 and NOT be shut down.

I'm in process of claiming a refund - between you and me I am not hopeful as they don't give a flying fig about their customers. Still -passes those cold winter nights. Could be worse - could be at Pontins

• Advice: Cut your head off before check in
by Mozza99

it needs knocking down

"Worst place ever filthy dirty health hazard obviously health and safety haven't paid a visit for years otherwise would def.be knocked down . Rooms moldy.damp and smelly. Behind bed obviously not been cleaned since place was built as thick with damp mold. Cloths get all damp and smelly had to clean place with bleach before we could even think about staying in the place. On arrival the whole place look drab,dirty ,and almost derelict,shops had hardly anything in and nothing else was open even though it was meant to be a full camp. Walked into club room sat down and nearly stuck to table as no one go round cleaning them. Left early as could not cope with another night in a wet bed. Staff very unhelpful and unapproachable ."

• Holiday details: Oct 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Knock down and rebuild and then employ staff that really want to be there and cleaners who know how to clean
by Anne C

Do not waste your money or time ....

"What a absolute disgrace.. I turned up at the park on booking day and only two receptionists were serving.. the queue was VERY long.. Perhaps they should look at man power considering it is booking day! The timetable was photocopied which is fine if you can read it (or copy it straight would be a good idea). The timetable was a week out of date so the entertainment was totally wrong.

We found our 'apartment' and the stench as the doors opened (I can not describe, I am on the 2nd round of washing clothes repeatedly). The wall paper was peeling, the dirt between the cooker and unit was awful (fridge can be pulled out easily). The mold in the skylight was the highlight.

We ventured to the swimming pool with my child and a young girl was organizing a queuing system and explained we would have to wait. Only waited for 10 minutes but upon walking into the changing areas the floor was black with dirt and sodden.. The pool looked OK but there was only one lifeguard on and even then she was sat at the shallow end?? No one was manning the slide which was a cause of concern as there was plenty of crashes and pile ups. The only blessing was the hot watered showers. I only went to reception twice to ask a question the elder lady was VERY rude and unhelpful. To think of it I didn't see any staff a round the site apart from 8 security guards in one the shed by entrance.. Pity they did not catch the man smoking a spliff nearby. The food in 'queen vic' I would not feed my cat with.. Luckily we found a lovely pub opposite called the place, highly recommend. We ventured back into the Queen Vic for a coffee and it got served in takeaway cups ? I had to ask for a proper cup as was staying in to drink it. I sat down and noticed mushrooms etc.. breakfast food under most of the tables which clearly had not been cleared up even though they had relaid the tables. This was 3pm.. I asked for a packet of crisps and they had nothing and were not re stocking the shelf ??

That evening my son was really sick, probably due to the swimming pool or stench of the chalet. My child wanted to have a go at crazy golf.. Well not sure if you could call it that.. Very run down even the sport hall equipment was broken or needed replacing. I went into the kids club as a Halloween craft activity was taking place. My son went to get some pens and they were either broken or run out, even the pencils were blunt or broken. I asked it there were anymore and the reply was no ! The toilets in the main area was disgusting, the nappy bin was brimming over and dirt in the loos .. yuck... We left a day early as could not bear it another day. Please please be aware do not holiday in Pontins Brean . I certainly will not be doing a Pontins holiday again.. I can not believe that they are allowed to open. I have informed environmental health.

• Holiday details: Oct 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Take a nose peg, scrubbing brush, bleach and DO NOT eat there.
by Jo A

avoid at all cost

"In summary the place is run down and dirty. The food is absolutely disgusting. The staff are scruffy and rude. The Shallet was satisfactory clean with exception of the floor which was dirty. (My daughters socks were black with dirt after about five minutes of removing her shoes). The floors throughout the complex were filthy dirty and worn. I have complained to Pontins and they haven't even responded. My regret is not reading the reviews (all bad of course)which would of course saved us from visiting this place from hell. Many people are struggling to get a refund, according to most reviews. We will NEVER go to Pontins again at any time on any site EVER. Pontins doesn't even come close in comparison to Haven, so Haven it is from now on."

• Holiday details: Oct 2014
  • Advice: go out of the complex, there is some nice sites to visit ie. chedder gorge,
by Jo G

Worst camp ever

"We have just come back from Pontins at Brean Sands what a joke. Dirty chalet half the kitchen stuff missing. Fridge disgusting and stinking.

I went to reception to complain and they said they would go and check and re clean the chalet. Yes they put a new fridge in but no cleaning done. This camp really needs a complete makeover or knocking down and rebuilt. My husband and I went about 13yrs ago and it was not to bad so we went back with our daughter and our grandchildren and even our 11 and 10 year old grandsons said how dirty it was and that they wanted to go home. Food in restaurant looked like slop.Friday at 7pm when everyone was arriving the Fish and Chip shop had no fish or much else to eat.Not enough bar staff and the ones that were there were so fed up they could not be bothered. I will never ever book a Pontins holiday again all carpets were dirty and sticky my dogs bed is cleaner. We left a night early as it was so bad. My husband has taken pictures of the gents toilets in the club house as they were disgusting and ladies were not much better. Only plus was Friday entertainment Jon Clegg was brilliant the rest of our stay was spent away from the camp. Poor Poor Poor do not go there. Health and safety should pay a visit and the food and hygiene.So its back to Haven or ParkDean holiday camps for us

• Holiday details: Sep 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: A Newly built camp
by Pauline F

lovely holiday.

"Totally ignore all reviews we have just returned from Pontins which I tried to cancel after reading all the reviews on here, I took all my own bed linen and bleach ready and was dreading it, the apartment was lovely and clean the food was lovely. we looked in all the other apartments as we passed while the cleaners were in and they all looked nice and clean, I would definitely would go again."

• Holiday details: Aug 2014, booked with majestic
by Veronica J

Reality Check

"Okay Reality Check.

We only paid 219.00 quid so did not really expect 5 star, we were not disappointed in that respect. As many of the previous comments have stated the chalets are caught in a time warp, I expected Sue Pollard to leap out of the wardrobe with a cheery greeting as we arrived.

Pros and Cons?

Pros.

1. It was cheap.

2. Beach and area's of interest around the park fantastic.

3. Kids had a great time and the fact they were happy meant we turned a blind eye to the poor condition of the complex.

4. The food was a good quality but the organization in the main food hall was very poor and if not for the good food at a great price would have kept me away.

Cons.

1. Staff are all working under pressure and in many respects going through the motions, clearly unhappy with the conditions they have to try and defend and clearly worn down by the volume of complaints they are receiving daily.

2. I work at a large school and am involved with the running of maintenance and repairs so I have a lot to do with health and safety, if this park has been checked recently then the officer involved should be sacked.

3. Cleanliness in respect of all outside areas of the park, the apartment's, the main buildings is pretty poor.

4. The main entertainment hall "The Fun Factory" was filled to the point that no safe and secure passages of exit were available should evacuation been required for emergency reasons. On top of this children are allowed to use scooters in this area under the noses of security staff as they whizz between tables and toddlers crawling on the floors, madness!!!!

Conclusion!

In this life you get what you pay for but even at 219.00 quid I expected the place to be clean, up-together and enough staff on site to provide a reasonable service. Pontins, on all points you failed. Not sure what the managements plans are with this dinosaur because they are stuck between the rock of their low pricing and the hard place of competition and public expectation. To bring this camp up to an expect-able level would take an investment of nose bleed proportions. One of three things is going to happen with this camp.

A. They are going to dig into their pockets and make the long term investment and revamp the entire site.

B. They will run it into the ground (Not far to go) and then sell the site.

C. Have their hands forced when health and safety or public condemnation close them down.

I shall watch with bated breath.

• Holiday details: Aug 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Keep your expectations low and bring cleaning gear with you.
by Michael W

dont go to pontins

"This place should be blown up worse holiday ever i will never go to Pontinsever again nothing good to say don't go there very dirty place."

• Advice: keep away
by Eileen D

Won't be going back!

"On arrival our first thoughts was run down.Our chalet was dirty along with the utensils in it.We didn't have enough pillows or duvets and it took ages for us to get them after asking 3 times.We was eventually sent to get them ourselves from the main gate.The changing rooms in the swimming pool were disgusting.We didn't want to eat there after the horrible stories we heard about dodgy stomachs.The floor in the queen Vic pub was sticky whatever time of day you was there?We don't get to go on holiday much as a family as we can't afford to.I at least expected the cleaners to do their jobs and clean the place.There wasn't a lot for my children to do.If it wasn't for the 5 aside football and the fair ground next door they would of been miserable.At times we felt depressed but wanted to make the best of it for the children.I won't be going back to Pontins again as the last one I went to in Great Yarmouth was bad and now it has been shut down.If The staff at Brean Sands don't sort it out they will go the same way."

• Holiday details: Aug 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Eat off site and take some antibacterial wipes.
by Fayescal

disgusting!

"Words can not say how disgusting this place is. If its beyond maintaining then it's time to pull the place down. Wherever you walk your feet stick to the floor and the tables in the eating area are never wiped over. The food of lack of it was so bad on our first night that nearly all the holidaymakers demanded to see the restaurant manager and he refused to come out! Health and Hygiene authorities should shut this place down. e left early and moved on to Haven at Burnham-on-Sea. What a difference. Pontins, go and see how a proper camp is run. We will never go back to Pontins and intend to tell as many people as we can how awful this place is so they never have to experience this filthy dump."

• Advice: do not go to Pontins
by Colin F

awful

"Been to Pontins in Brean a few times last couple of years with my family, friends and grandchildren this time we went it was not very good at all i usually recommend going here to my friends because it is value for money, but this time i told them not to bother. The accommodation wasn't very clean the curtains were hanging down, the cooker was rusty, the food in the restaurant was not very good , no clean tables dirty dishes all on the tables, the milk was gone off in machine and in the fridge, squash spilled all over the floor and not cleaned up, no wet sign on floor, and me and all my family and friends who all had chalets there all came down with sickness and stomach bug , so it has put us of ever going to Pontins again."

by ms iles

holiday 2014

"I booked with Pontins then I started reading the reviews!! Not like me either to not read the reviews first.

The reviews were bad and was dreading it, there was 5in total 2adults 3 children 1,2,8.

I paid 160 for a club apartment and I ungraded to a 2 bedroom for a extra £15.

The park is absolutely massive around 1000 chalets etc I was not expecting this.

check in they lost are pack but soon found it.

we were at the top part of the park with only a row of 5 apartments with a lovely view of fields and trees a large grass area in front of the apartments and apartment was very clean and updated.

I think the park is under rated and there is lots to do on the one road that Pontins is on for a family. Shops, amusement arcades, plenty of decent places to eat at good prices, beech access and a theme park.

we spent about 350 on food and all entertainment for the kids and food and us.

the food onsite that they do the breakfast is good we had are 3 one and good buffet, same with dinner but the food was very bad.on site there was afew park areas all suitable for the kids and bouncy castle ansd swimming, and other stuff to do.

My plan was to do Longleat and Weston and theme park but we had no need to venue out.

I would say a lot of chalets and apartments and not updated they could improve on that and there is no need for it to be dirty but I suppose its people who rent them that make them so filthy.

We left are apartment clean and tidy we cleaned up a few the kids and kept there mucky hands clean when they ate messy food etc and you pay for what you get.

I would go again and definitely pay for a club and ask for a similar situated apartment.

• Holiday details: Jul 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: not the chippy directly outside dont go. the pub on top i didnt try but got told 2 for 5a meals,ig als bar and grill lavly and the chippy next door and subway and the theme park have a pub with carvery and a wimpy
by lucieb

1 2 351 »

Map for Pontins Brean Sands Closest airport: Bristol (BRS) 13.7 miles

Pontins Brean Sands photos (10 traveller photos)
Top traveller tips for Pontins Brean Sands
  • by David Malpas

" As they are celebrating 65years try not to get one of the original quarters.And better still dont go. "

• by Harryl

" If you have transport, try not to shop in the near vicinity, take what you can with you. (site shop 95p - 1litre milk) "

• by toothnurse

" Get out of the park in the day "

• by turbotripper

" Hungry Horse was a good place to eat. Especially the £1 menu for kids on Tuesdays. "

• by Jodie Sivier

" IF you must go, take your own cleaning products, beds and bedding. "

• by Nick Close Up

" If its the last holiday park left on earth give it a miss! "

• by detox

" take cleaning stuff from home. the local supermarket will milk you dry. take your own vegetarian food. "

• by User2012

" visit Weston Super Mare! lovely day out. "