Pontins Brean Sands

Cleanliness: 4.5/10
Location: 6.5/10

1 2 350 »
lovely holiday.

"Totally ignore all reviews we have just returned from Pontins which I tried to cancel after reading all the reviews on here, I took all my own bed linen and bleach ready and was dreading it, the apartment was lovely and clean the food was lovely. we looked in all the other apartments as we passed while the cleaners were in and they all looked nice and clean, I would definitely would go again."

• Holiday details: Aug 2014, booked with majestic
by Veronica J

Reality Check

"Okay Reality Check.

We only paid 219.00 quid so did not really expect 5 star, we were not disappointed in that respect. As many of the previous comments have stated the chalets are caught in a time warp, I expected Sue Pollard to leap out of the wardrobe with a cheery greeting as we arrived.

Pros and Cons?

Pros.

1. It was cheap.

2. Beach and area's of interest around the park fantastic.

3. Kids had a great time and the fact they were happy meant we turned a blind eye to the poor condition of the complex.

4. The food was a good quality but the organization in the main food hall was very poor and if not for the good food at a great price would have kept me away.

Cons.

1. Staff are all working under pressure and in many respects going through the motions, clearly unhappy with the conditions they have to try and defend and clearly worn down by the volume of complaints they are receiving daily.

2. I work at a large school and am involved with the running of maintenance and repairs so I have a lot to do with health and safety, if this park has been checked recently then the officer involved should be sacked.

3. Cleanliness in respect of all outside areas of the park, the apartment's, the main buildings is pretty poor.

4. The main entertainment hall "The Fun Factory" was filled to the point that no safe and secure passages of exit were available should evacuation been required for emergency reasons. On top of this children are allowed to use scooters in this area under the noses of security staff as they whizz between tables and toddlers crawling on the floors, madness!!!!

Conclusion!

In this life you get what you pay for but even at 219.00 quid I expected the place to be clean, up-together and enough staff on site to provide a reasonable service. Pontins, on all points you failed. Not sure what the managements plans are with this dinosaur because they are stuck between the rock of their low pricing and the hard place of competition and public expectation. To bring this camp up to an expect-able level would take an investment of nose bleed proportions. One of three things is going to happen with this camp.

A. They are going to dig into their pockets and make the long term investment and revamp the entire site.

B. They will run it into the ground (Not far to go) and then sell the site.

C. Have their hands forced when health and safety or public condemnation close them down.

I shall watch with bated breath.

• Holiday details: Aug 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Keep your expectations low and bring cleaning gear with you.
by Michael W

dont go to pontins

"This place should be blown up worse holiday ever i will never go to Pontinsever again nothing good to say don't go there very dirty place."

• Advice: keep away
by Eileen D

Won't be going back!

"On arrival our first thoughts was run down.Our chalet was dirty along with the utensils in it.We didn't have enough pillows or duvets and it took ages for us to get them after asking 3 times.We was eventually sent to get them ourselves from the main gate.The changing rooms in the swimming pool were disgusting.We didn't want to eat there after the horrible stories we heard about dodgy stomachs.The floor in the queen Vic pub was sticky whatever time of day you was there?We don't get to go on holiday much as a family as we can't afford to.I at least expected the cleaners to do their jobs and clean the place.There wasn't a lot for my children to do.If it wasn't for the 5 aside football and the fair ground next door they would of been miserable.At times we felt depressed but wanted to make the best of it for the children.I won't be going back to Pontins again as the last one I went to in Great Yarmouth was bad and now it has been shut down.If The staff at Brean Sands don't sort it out they will go the same way."

• Holiday details: Aug 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Eat off site and take some antibacterial wipes.
by Fayescal

disgusting!

"Words can not say how disgusting this place is. If its beyond maintaining then it's time to pull the place down. Wherever you walk your feet stick to the floor and the tables in the eating area are never wiped over. The food of lack of it was so bad on our first night that nearly all the holidaymakers demanded to see the restaurant manager and he refused to come out! Health and Hygiene authorities should shut this place down. e left early and moved on to Haven at Burnham-on-Sea. What a difference. Pontins, go and see how a proper camp is run. We will never go back to Pontins and intend to tell as many people as we can how awful this place is so they never have to experience this filthy dump."

• Advice: do not go to Pontins
by Colin F

awful

"Been to Pontins in Brean a few times last couple of years with my family, friends and grandchildren this time we went it was not very good at all i usually recommend going here to my friends because it is value for money, but this time i told them not to bother. The accommodation wasn't very clean the curtains were hanging down, the cooker was rusty, the food in the restaurant was not very good , no clean tables dirty dishes all on the tables, the milk was gone off in machine and in the fridge, squash spilled all over the floor and not cleaned up, no wet sign on floor, and me and all my family and friends who all had chalets there all came down with sickness and stomach bug , so it has put us of ever going to Pontins again."

by ms iles

holiday 2014

"I booked with Pontins then I started reading the reviews!! Not like me either to not read the reviews first.

The reviews were bad and was dreading it, there was 5in total 2adults 3 children 1,2,8.

I paid 160 for a club apartment and I ungraded to a 2 bedroom for a extra £15.

The park is absolutely massive around 1000 chalets etc I was not expecting this.

check in they lost are pack but soon found it.

we were at the top part of the park with only a row of 5 apartments with a lovely view of fields and trees a large grass area in front of the apartments and apartment was very clean and updated.

I think the park is under rated and there is lots to do on the one road that Pontins is on for a family. Shops, amusement arcades, plenty of decent places to eat at good prices, beech access and a theme park.

we spent about 350 on food and all entertainment for the kids and food and us.

the food onsite that they do the breakfast is good we had are 3 one and good buffet, same with dinner but the food was very bad.on site there was afew park areas all suitable for the kids and bouncy castle ansd swimming, and other stuff to do.

My plan was to do Longleat and Weston and theme park but we had no need to venue out.

I would say a lot of chalets and apartments and not updated they could improve on that and there is no need for it to be dirty but I suppose its people who rent them that make them so filthy.

We left are apartment clean and tidy we cleaned up a few the kids and kept there mucky hands clean when they ate messy food etc and you pay for what you get.

I would go again and definitely pay for a club and ask for a similar situated apartment.

• Holiday details: Jul 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: not the chippy directly outside dont go. the pub on top i didnt try but got told 2 for 5a meals,ig als bar and grill lavly and the chippy next door and subway and the theme park have a pub with carvery and a wimpy
by lucieb

holiday 2014

I paid 160 for a club apartment and I ungraded to a 2 bedroom for a extra £15.

check in they lost are pack but soon found it.

we spent about 350 on food and all entertainment for the kids and food and us.

the food onsite that they do the breakfast it is good we had are 3 one and and it was good because its a buffet, same with dinner but the food was very bad.on site there was a few park areas all suitable for the kids and bouncy castle and swimming, and other stuff to do.

I would go again and defiantly pay for a club and ask for a similar situated apartment.

• Holiday details: Jul 2014, Booked Independently
by lucieb

Avoid

"Absolute disgrace: Pontins brean Sands. My first complaint is the horrendous check-in process, we did arrive early at 14:36 and didn't expect our chalet to be ready, but to find the reception desk without any customers and two members of staff doing literally nothing, and without them even asking our booking reference number or name we were told there is no chance our room would be ready and were told to come back at 16:00, we then returned at 15:52 and were told that our room would still not be ready as there were 8 minutes until check-in was a bit pathetic, even the staff said I know its silly but we have to wait until exactly 16:00 hours until we can release the keys, by 16:00 there was a large Que of people lined up and the staff were then running around like headless chickens!! Surely this could be better organized, to make people stand there for literally 8 minutes until the exact hour just gets peoples backs up.

Secondly, when we eventually got our keys, tried to drive to the chalet as the lady on the reception desk told us we could do, to find that the road had been blocked of and there was no way of getting any nearer to our chalet then the car park we were originally parked in, so my wife took our 3 week old baby and walked to the chalet while I unloaded all of our luggage with my 3 year old son, my wife then entered the room to find somebody else was already in this chalet, so I then had to take all the luggage back to the car and walked to reception to find out what was going on, we were then told there by a different staff member that we were given the wrong keys only for the lady who originally checked us in to say that this was the chalet number written down it was not her fault, by this time after a very long drive all we wanted to do was just get into our room,

Thirdly we were then given the keys to chalet 693 so we went straight there only to be met by a horrible smell which shows that the room had not be aired for quite a while, the chalet itself was filthy dirty, and looked like it also hadn't been cleaned in a very long time, it was like a flashback from the 1960's and looked like it hadn't been cleaned since then, the holes in the front door, the paint all flaking of, the very large stains on the wall paper were one thing, but the broken window, broken sofa bed, and the rubbish blowing around out side were another, the kitchen itself was covered in coffee granules and coffee stain's, there were bread crumbs everywhere, like somebody had got 2 or 3 slices of bread and had crumbled them all over the sides and the floor, the floor itself was sticky and covered in who knows what, there was a dead moth still on the cooker, and the bin was full of someone else s rubbish and hadn't been emptied, This then brings me to the condition of the bathroom. It was a good job we brought some cleaner, as it needed cleaning before I could let my two children in to it, or they could have caught some kind of illness from it. The bath was disgusting, and had lines of bath scum, the toilet hadn't even been flushed after it had been used, and the sink!! somebody had shaved in and not even attempted to wash away, I mean it was covered in thousands of little black hairs It was absolutely vile! we only paid £37 including booking fees for this chalet as luckily we were only there for the one night, I understand that this is budget accommodation but even if it is budget you expect some kind of standard or at the least cleanliness, and for Pontins to let children stay in accommodation like this just amazes me

And lastly, we stupidly paid an extra £27 including booking fees for half board for the night we were there, we were so hungry after all the traveling and the shock at seeing the room that we said lets go to reception and let them know and then go and eat, we told the lady who booked us in about the problems we found and she didn't seem at all surprised I asked her why we had to wait until 16:00 to book in and was told it was because our chalet had to be cleaned, I then explained that it hadn't and told her about the disgusting mess in our room and she just said, well sorry about that I will get the cleaners to come in first thing and clean your room, I then explained that we were only there for the night and she just said sorry there's nothing we can do, but I will make sure that the cleaners know and that your complaint is logged.

We then went to the restaurant expecting a nice three course meal at least, and I asked the lady as we hadn't been here before where we order, and she said its down the end its a carvery! to be honest we didn't really fancy a carvery we thought you got a choice from a menu or something but still we were very hungry so a carvery was better then nothing, we then had to go back and ask were the starters and desserts were and were told you have soup over there in the corner and cakes in the other corner, I then proceeded to the soup and found flies crawling all other the bread, the soup itself was inedible and left a horrible after taste in your mouth, so onto the carvery, my wife then went up and got a carvery for her and my 3 year old, she said to him there you go eat it up, and he turned around and said err its horrible and wouldn't eat it, she said to him I don't blame you, don't eat that, and actually took it away from him and put it in the bin, and she said lets go I cant eat in here as it was so bad, the meat itself was just some kind of grey mass we actually didn't even know what it was my wife took one bite out of it and started gagging, my son then said im starving mummy and wanted some cake, to which I said, well they cant really go wrong with cake, but again I was wrong, the cake itself was some kind of strawberry gateau I think, again there was flies around this and it wasn't kept in any kind of refrigeration, just stuck on a plate in the corner of the room which a jar of cream near by, and as neither of us wanted to risk food poisoning we went out and got some fish and chips from the beach which then cost us even more money, I then returned to the reception desk to complain about the food to find it was now closed and there was nobody around to complain to.

To top it all of we spoke to the lady in the chalet next door who just laughed and said she had the same problems, and was even told by staff that she was in room 691 and this was written on her welcome pack, but couldn't get into that room with her keys and found that they fitted 692, she also said that she got her room from group-on and complained and they refunded her room, she told them it was not about the money and that they really need to take Brean Sands of there books as her room was dirty and clearly also hadn't been cleaned, she even laughed and said that she did see a cleaner with there trolley 1 day before but they just stood outside the chalets talking on there mobile phones and never actually went in the chalets themselves, she also said that the people who were previously in our room 693 knocked on her door with the same questions about the rooms being cleaned and when she went to have a look in there chalet they had the same coffee stains, bread everywhere etc that greeted us when we arrived, meaning the room hadn't been cleaned for there visit either. I also researched Pontins sadly this was when we got back and found that they had hundreds of complaints sent to watchdog and TripAdvisor regarding similar problems to we had, sadly we found this out to late for us. I did get a response from Pontins about 5-6 weeks later, saying that it was a busy time of year blah blah, not our fault blah blah, and that our complaint would be sent to the cleaning manager! absolute disgrace, I will never go to a Pontins again, it might be cheap but not worth risking your health for.

• Holiday details: Jun 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: to avoid the place
by darrenh0710

What a dump!!!

"This so called holiday park is awful. Dirty uncared for and generally run down and neglected. The whole place should be bulldozed and re-built. Our accommodation was dirty, damp and moldy. Do not go there! Check in was a nightmare! The queues in the restaurant seemed to get longer each day. Brown paint everywhere - looked like it hadn't been decorated in years. Staff did not seem to care and we never saw a blue coat!"

• Holiday details: Jul 2014
  • Advice: Don't go!!
by Paulene G

NEVER AGAIN

"Have just been to Pontins for the half term on sun holiday and thank goodness I didn't pay anymore as it was the most disgusting place I have ever stayed.

check in is nothing like I have ever witnessed before, the chalet on entering had bits of skirting hanging off, the bathroom was definitely not that clean, there was no brush or mop and the ironing board was stuck open, the windows did not open in the lounge area, the smoke alarm in the kids bedroom was hanging open as there was no battery in it and to top it all off after the 2nd day of staying a colony of ants appeared in the double bedroom.

the lack of staff around the whole site was clearly visible, the amusements were shocking to say the least, not manned and the shop for kids to change their tickets was hardly ever open, the floors were dirty and rubbish everywhere.

the staff did not seem to care if you did say anything to them and seemed lifeless like they didn't want to be there either.

nothing professional about the place.

would never go there again

• Holiday details: May 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: dont stay there
by Littleforest

Sh*t Hole....

"Upon arrival I was greeted by 100 Jeremy Kyle hopefuls swearing, shouting and smoking 1 meter away from a group of children...a regular sight during our brief stay

After waiting for a few hours to get keys to our 3 bed 'apartment' we found it wasn't large enough for our group of 8 (despite advising them of the number when booking!) ... we then found circa 10 rolled but UN-smoked cannabis rolls on our doorstep and a few pins on the floor complimented by a big hole in the bedroom door along with general uncleanliness/filth

We decided to leave having paid for the holiday upfront and traveled to nearby Bristol. I was told they would not issue us a refund on site and the manager was less than helpful, not surprising the lady on reception initial told us to inspect our room first and come back if there were any issues...something she must have assumed would happen, but I suppose after hearing a woman request a refund for refusing to try a seventh room to stay in (the first 6 were filthy apparently and there was a dog in one them!) it was no surprise...

I was naive not to check it out before I went but from childhood memories I thought it was ok and bearable for 2 days with the family...however, my only 2 queries after 30 years away from the place is

1) have they cleaned anywhere since I was last there

2) why haven't they Nuked the place ?

AVOID even if you are offered a stay for free

Thanks

• Holiday details: Apr 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: none
by holidaybrett

1 2 350 »

Map for Pontins Brean Sands Closest airport: Bristol (BRS) 13.7 miles

Pontins Brean Sands photos (10 traveller photos)
Top traveller tips for Pontins Brean Sands
  • by David Malpas

" As they are celebrating 65years try not to get one of the original quarters.And better still dont go. "

• by Harryl

" If you have transport, try not to shop in the near vicinity, take what you can with you. (site shop 95p - 1litre milk) "

• by toothnurse

" Get out of the park in the day "

• by turbotripper

" Hungry Horse was a good place to eat. Especially the £1 menu for kids on Tuesdays. "

• by Jodie Sivier

" IF you must go, take your own cleaning products, beds and bedding. "

• by Nick Close Up

" If its the last holiday park left on earth give it a miss! "

• by detox

" take cleaning stuff from home. the local supermarket will milk you dry. take your own vegetarian food. "

• by User2012

" visit Weston Super Mare! lovely day out. "