Pontins Camber Sands

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Pontins Camber Sands

Enter your dates:

1 2 336 »
my stay at camber 07/04/14 till 11/04/14 by Peter H

This was my 1st time at Pontins camber and the 1st in 23years i have been back to a Pontins camp. i went on a sun promotion break.after a problem with booking in at 4pm as they couldn't find our welcome pack i had to go to reception downstairs to get a new welcome pack with our chalet keys. then proceeded to find our chalet with my sister who was in a wheelchair. when we found it.it was located near the front gates of camp which was great.we thought the room was good and very clean and the canteen had good food but the plates needed to be bigger as everything was piled on to it. entertainment was good and the queen vic bar was good if you wanted to have a quiet drink. only complaint last orders was at 10.30pm overall a nice break was had by my sister and myself.

• Holiday details: Apr 2014, Booked Independently

Great weekend break by discodog

I have just returned from an 80's weekend at Pontins Camber Sands and had a great time. I am so pleased I didn't read the awful reviews before I booked, because if I had I wouldn't have booked and so would've missed out on a wonderful weekend. I actually checked the reviews the day before I went and so was expecting the worse and not looking forward to going.

There were two of us booked into a Popular 1 bedroom chalet. From the outside it was quite tatty, with the door and windows in need of a good clean. However, once we got inside we were pleasantly surprised. It was very spacious, extremely clean, with what looked like new flooring and furniture throughout. Also, it looked as if it had been recently painted.

We checked everything was working, which it was. There was a new kettle and toaster which we hadn't expected to get. The fridge and the cooker were so clean they looked like they'd never been used. The bathroom was dated, with just a bath and no shower, but again very clean with no mildew or mold anywhere. I was a bit disappointed not to have a shower, but there was always plenty of hot water, so taking baths instead made a nice change.

There were just a few cosmetic improvements that could be made: where the windows had been replaced there were gaps around the window sill that needed filling in, there were some gaps where skirting boards need replacing and in the bedroom the curtains were of different lengths. But really there wasn't much else to spoil the decor. Also, I was glad I took my own quilt as the ones provided were too thin for the time of year. They are probably adequate in the summer, but not warm enough for March. The electric meter had plenty of credit on it, so we didn't need to buy any tokens.

The entertainment in the main room was fantastic. We saw Hazell Dean, Madness tribute and Bucks Fizz on the Friday night and Michael Jackson tribute and Blondie tribute on the Saturday night. Carol Decker was a no show, but the Blondie band stepped in and did an 80's set instead. All these acts were amazing.

The bar prices were very reasonable. There was an issue with a lack of bar staff on the Friday night, and that made it quite difficult to get served. However, this issue looked to be resolved on the Saturday night and we got served very easily then.

We had a good look around the site to see where all the awful reviews may have come from, but all the chalets we could see into looked to be of at least the same standard to ours. The children's play areas all look very inviting, with what looked like new rides, brightly colored and very child friendly. The swimming pool was large, clean and had a lifeguard on duty, even though there was only 2 men in the pool.

We did access a couple of rooms upstairs in the entertainment venue that were in a bad state, very smelly and dirty, but looking at the rest of the camp it looks like these are yet to be renovated. It looked like they were only left open for means of a fire escape.

Overall, my opinion is that there is only a few things in need of improvement. The windows and doors to the chalets, and some signage around the site should be cleaned, where there is tatty looking woodwork, or filling in that should be done, and the two rooms in the main venue need to be renovated and put back into proper use. Otherwise it was a great weekend and I look forward to going back again.

• Holiday details: Mar 2014, Booked Independently

Sleepless in Pontins! The dirtiest place in England! by chell29

My family (myself heavily pregnant at the time, my fiance and my 8 year old step daughter) and I were really looking forward to a nice weekend away with a few laughs and a bit of swimming.

It was Friday afternoon and we got ready and headed of in a great mood. As soon as we got there our great mood had disappeared at the sight of the accommodation (from the outside already). We thought, oh well we have upgraded so it cannot be that bad, let's get checked in and have a look inside. We got given a key to a room on the complete opposite side of the park (after upgrading to closer and nicer with two double bedrooms and a lounge) we then went to find our room, to our disgust this room was absolutely filthy, the floors were nearly black in the lounge (these are supposed to be medium brown wooden floors). The bathroom was something you might expect in prison, falling apart and greasy, there was in addition not even a TV in our apartment! To top it all off, we did not have the promised 2 bedrooms and a lounge, we had one tiny pull out sofa and a small double bed, with my very large 8 month pregnant tummy at the time this was not even remotely funny.

At this point we went to complain at the front desk, we got there and the person I spoke to did not look any older than 19, and this was supposedly the supervisor! I explained that the room was filthy and that there is no TV in the apartment, (I was also told that there are no 2 bedroom and lounge apartments in the park, apparently the person who took the upgrade had gotten it wrong) I was then told if we go for dinner this would be sorted before we get back, I thought that would be great, that would make things a bit better. So we went out for dinner expecting to come back and everything would be sorted and the rest of the weekend would be a bit more relaxing. We got back to our apartment after a very disappointing dinner and nothing had been done. We then went to sleep (if you can call it that) my fiance and I got approximately 2 hours sleep on the tiny pull out sofa ( we usually can sleep anywhere).

We thought we didn't want to ruin the day for our 8 year old so we tried to stay positive, we thought oh well it was late last night maybe someone will come and sort out our apartment later today, so we headed out to see what the park had to offer. We went around and thought let's go swimming, after seeing the horrible pool that I would not even let a dog swim in we thought we would go to the beach, which was really lovely, we then headed back to the park were everything cost money to partake in but we paid the money and let our 8 year old play on the trampoline and in the arcades etc, that was not that bad except all of it got a bit expensive in the end. We then returned to our room where to our dismay we discovered that nothing had been done. We then packed our bags and went to the main office, where I voiced my complaints and all I got in return was, "oh well". Not even a sorry you did not enjoy your stay! But what can you expect from a bunch of staff that still look like they should be in school! We will never return nor will we ever recommend this to anyone (not even my worse enemy).

• Holiday details: May 2013, Booked Independently
  • Advice: book somewhere else

Sleepless in Pontins! The dirtiest place in England! by chell29

It was Friday afternoon and we got ready and headed of in a great mood. As soon as we got there our great mood had disappeared at the sight of the accommodation (from the outside already). We thought, oh well we have upgraded so it cannot be that bad, let's get checked in and have a look inside. We got given a key to a room on the complete opposite side of the park (after upgrading to closer and nicer with two double bedrooms and a lounge) we then went to find our room, to our disgust this room was absolutely filthy, the floors were nearly black in the lounge (these are supposed to be medium brown wooden floors). The bathroom was something you might expect in prison, falling apart and greasy, there was in addition not even a tv in our apartment! To top it all off, we did not have the promised 2 bedrooms and a lounge, we had one tiny pull out sofa and a small double bed, with my very large 8 month pregnant tummy at the time this was not even remotely funny.

• Holiday details: May 2013, Booked Independently
  • Advice: book somewhere else

Worst Holiday of my life by cyberjeannie

The whole camp looks like a scruffy army barracks.So many problems with our chalet that weren't rectified.The TV stopped working in two whole blocks for the two last days and no attempt to fix the reception .The family welcome pack of food I paid for wasn't there to welcome us! we were told to go the Pontins Nisa shop to get it ourselves but it had a massive queue at 5 mins to closing so we had to drive to the nearest town 10 minutes away to get to a supermarket for breakfast essentials . No entertainment other than bingo and swimming for adults. The last night of our stay the drains threw up a diarrhea smell that suffused the chalet -After ringing reception for ages,was told they would move us to another chalet,which they did-unfortunately it was upstairs and one in our party of three has a bad leg and can't do stairs very well.we had to ring again for help with the cases upstairs and rang again in the morning to no reply,so went down to reception and asked for a man to help us.Reception team were sullen and surly.I had to ask three times in one sentence for an apology and finally got a curt one.I never write holiday reviews but felt I had to write this one to warn anyone thinking of going- Please Don't Go. I have emailed Pontins requesting a total refund but am not hopeful .Just a written apology would be nice.

I can honestly say the only thing I liked about this holiday was the free breakfast we had at Pontins on the last morning . that and the sea which is a mere 5 min walk away. Thank goodness it was two friends and I that had this holiday and not myself and my teenage children-they would've been more devastated than us. I have wasted my money and can only afford the one holiday break this year. Pontins has been taken over by Britannia hotels and they are notorious for bad service and not caring about the customers satisfaction just the profits. I really hope everyone reads holiday watchdog reviews and stops going to Pontins whereby they either get their act together and start caring for customers and spending money doing up their camps ,or they fold and disappear into bankruptcy.From reading other Pontins reviews since I have been back they deserve it.

• Holiday details: Sep 2013, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Book in and spend all your time off camp

never again by romford moaner

just got back from Pontins camber,put it this way would never go back again.The first impression said it all,the whole camp is in a very bad state of repair,the restaurant was dated and dirty i would not let my dog have his dinner in there.The cash bingo has 69% deducted from the winning pot do not mind running costs but dick turnip was fairer.I last stayed here over 35 years ago it was not to clever then but acceptable now it has had 35 years of use and not much maintenance.If you want to go to camber sands stay in the park resorts site a couple hundred yards down the road a different world clean,tidy and modern

• Holiday details: Sep 2013, Booked Independently

Awful! by SD2013

I wish I had read the other reviews before booking! We arrived on Fri and approx 20 mins after checking in..we checked back out again! This place is awful, outdated buildings, rundown facilities and I would have expected lots of alcohol fueled noise throughout the night had we stayed, not ideal when we have 3 young children. Have never been so pleased to get home..I will be writing to complain but I wont hold my breath for a reply.

Really disappointing! by Smiffy87

Getting back last night from Pontins really had to write this review.My sister and her family booked to go to camber sands virtualt0ur1st virtualt0ur1st Pontis through the sun,deciding to go with them for a first time break with my one year old daughter I paid £149,only to turn up to a complete dump and that's putting it nicely.The whole clubhouse and reception area smelt like the toilet and vomit and upon mentioning it to the bar staff was told we were the first people to ever mention it which I highly doubt! The room I was staying in was filthy doubt it had been touched since the last people left.Everything felt grubby and dirty and I couldn't wait to get home,really disappointed as I was looking forward to a little break with my child.I never write reviews and always assume people who do have nothing better to do but I really do not recommend this place it really is a waste of money and a wasted journey if your looking for a nice relaxing time away.

A long weekend scumming it by Matt B

Firstly if I hadn't been staying with friends I would have just driven past and booked into a hotel. It looks more like a concentration camp than a holiday park. However the 'shack' was tidy and clean, although very out-dated and tired. The furniture as based on how indestructible it was rather than comfort or functionality.

The staff were very friendly and helpful at all times and it is the only reason there are three additional dots on the rating.

The food was mass catering and my only comment is that they should halve the portions and double the quality. Everyone left so much on their plates because nothing tasted of anything and the staff were so keen to please they would basically fill your plates with more than any super-human could eat.

The entertainment in the evening was good, but the room could have done with better air-conditioning as it turned into a sweat pit.

Some simple thought would seriously improve the park, for instance new table-tennis bats. Just simple cheap stuff would go a long way.

The problem with these places is the people who holiday there. Teenagers out at 3:00am banging on the shack door is no fun.

Did I have a good weekend...YES...would I go back...NEVER.

• Advice: The beach is great

It needs demolishing! by Hilary E

Having booked my 'Sun holiday' and looking forward to spending time with my daughter exploring the area, I drove for nearly 4 hours only to turn tail and exit as fast as the speed limit would allow! We arrived at the campsite and were herded to a large function room - up some really sticky stairs through a really dirty and smelly reception area. Everywhere looked like it needed some TLC - some cleaning might have helped! Check in was efficient and off I toddled with my key only to find myself in accommodation which was decidedly unfit for purpose - no curtain on the mould covered window, 2 very small single beds in the owned bedroom ( I had paid the minimum Sun holiday fee for 4 people but there was no way 4 could have slept here! The settee was filthy dirty and the whole place smelled like it hadn't been cleaned in months! Outside the apartment there were cigarette ends and litter everywhere (I really wish I'd taken photos). I then went back to reception to see what could be done about my dissatisfaction, reception pointed me towards a chap (accommodation manager I think)who was dealing with a queue of unhappy people. I told him that I wasn't happy and he offered to get somebody to go back to the apartment and clean it ( seeing how it was already supposed to have been cleaned I wasn't convinced that was the answer and asked if we could be upgraded so he sent me back to reception). The chap in reception said the site was full and no other accommodation was available. I then said that is like to speak to the manager and was handed a piece of paper with his name on - Phil Martin - and was told that nobody ever knew where he was and that they wouldn't be able to find him! (I wonder why?). I told the staff that I would like my money back as I would not be staying a minute longer, the receptionist said he was sorry to hear it and wished me a safe journey home ( as if I was going to drive another 4 hours all the way back home).

The staff seemed to be as helpful as they could be and had, no doubt, spent the whole Summer apologizing but the elusive manager should stand with his staff and take responsibility.

At gone 5.30 I left Camber Sands extremely upset and shaken by the whole experience, I have been on many Sun Holidays with my children in the past and have never had any trouble previously - the sites and accommodation were clean ( the least anybody can expect).

I will be writing to the manager and I will be writing to the Sun - just because I've paid for a cheap break shouldn't mean I should accept sub- standard conditions. The money I paid for the holiday was £100 plus the petrol money and all the mileage and phone calls I had to pay out to find somewhere else to stay was hard-earned and ruined what should have been a lovely weekend away cerebrating my daughter's success in passing her college course.

• Advice: Don't go

!!! TO 'MICHAEL W' WHO WROTE HERE EARLIER !!! by Sen V

I was about to book a cheap deal to this place, with the website Wowcher, when I decided to read these reviews first.. The came across yours (visit in Aug'13) !!! I have to say that I haven't laughed so much over a review before, so thank you.. for warning us as well. And please can you stick to the same name on your comments/reviews as I will be keen to read yours again if you travel anywhere again in future and give feedback on here or TripAdvisor.

Hilarious Mr Michael W..!!!

• Holiday details: Aug 2013, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Decided NOT to go. ever after reading these...

Letdown by Kerryluca

Poor service, hardly anything was open or working correctly even in the arcades.

We upgraded to club and it had an awful smell in the apartment of damp urine plus not vey clean at all so would hate to imagine what the standard rooms were like?

Short staffed everywhere and overall grubby rundown site in general.

Nowhere to eat on site unless you wanted to pay £4.50 for a frankfurter hotdog or wait 2 hours for grubby canteen.!

We had taken son for his 6th birthday & were supposed to stay 3 nights but only managed 2 (which was torturous) checked out early as couldn't stand it any longer.

Website misleading about new in 2011 as this is definitely not the case.

Would recommend long weekend abroad as would work out much cheaper and cleaner than Pontins.

• Holiday details: Aug 2013, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Choose somewhere else as would be cheaper after money spent on food etc

1 2 336 »

Stayed at Pontins Camber Sands? Share your insight.

Pontins Camber Sands also called

• pontins camber sands centre rye
  • Address: New Lydd Road Camber Sands, near Rye, Camber TN31 7RL, United Kingdom

Map for Pontins Camber Sands Closest airport: London Southend (SEN) 44.1 miles

Pontins Camber Sands photos (10 traveller photos)
Top traveller tips for Pontins Camber Sands
  • by Pointinspal

" Just join in with whatever is going on. "

• by Clare Saunders

" Get to the evening entertainment early if you want a seat. "

• by Betty Lemon

" Take your own cleaning materials and food "

• by meloo

" lots of lovely places to visit in the area but find other accomadation "

• by Dean Thornton

" if the weather is nice i would spend most of your time at the beach it's lovely "

• by kbird

" Take essentials with you ie: tea towl, dish cloth, washing up liquid and flip flops "

• by lucydee1

" take own towls "

• by Natasha Jowsey

" take food and own bedding and look at what events they have on as there is loads. The Lunar is downstairs where most of kids daytime entertainment is. "