Pontins Camber Sands

Food: 4/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Pontins Camber Sands

1 2 338 »
Filthy accommodation, rude staff

I have just got back from Camber Sands an I would like to say how disgusted I am with this park, our accommodation was filthy I went to the reception to complain about it and was told a cleaner will come over straight away which never happened therefore I went out and spent half of our holiday money on cleaning products so it was clean for my children one of which is a baby, our first nite we was there our chalet was freezing to the point we had to sleep in our coats, I complained to reception the next morning he said he will get someone to have a look which again no one did, I also noticed that our kitchen window was broke and wouldn't shut I spoke to reception he said he will send someone over which a old grey haired gentleman did who was very rude to my husband saying who opened the window which we didn't as it was already open when we got into the room when my husband said that to him his reply was well don't open in future. On Saturday during the day my husband and 2 of our children got locked in the chalet I told reception who said they will get someone over I asked when as this is health and safety issue he said well as soon as someone is available which is unacceptable, my husband managed to get out before maintenance turned up but then he couldn't shut the door when they turned up the said they was already aware the lock on the door wasn't good before we even arrived. We wasn't even given toilet roll when we arrived in our chalet, Our oven wasn't working either. On our last day just before I checked out I asked for the complaints number as explained everything to receptionist it was only this time that I was told to go the accommodation manager I have stayed at Pakefield for far less price and got a lot better accommodation. Our experience at this park was horrible

• Advice: Take your cleaning products with you
by Mummy273

please read before visit

"Just spent 2 nights at Camber Sands Pontins & have to say I'm not impressed. Not enough food outlets to start with, when we did get a pizza it was ok but had to wait a long time as the staff didn't seem sure what there doing. As for the arcade that was a joke as half the machines didn't work, no point winning tickets as the ticket machine was always broken, as for the carpet...well that was disgusting yuk!! read that this place had just updated the site, but where the money was spent god only knows. don't go to the games room either as that is full of litter,dartboards with no numbers on them, to hot & just a mess. went to go to the go_karts but only had one running as other ones were broke so my kids missed out again. overall the staff all seemed young & grotty with no respect for there jobs & feel they could all do better. On the plus side though we had a nice day when we left site & went to the beech .....lovely. overall i could go on but give this place a miss....please. By the way I'm not a snob."

• Holiday details: Apr 2015, Booked Independently
  • Advice: just go in summer & go to the beech.
by Steve V

WORST PLACE I HAVE EVER BEEN TOO!!!!

"I checked in along with my friend and our two children on Friday 3rd April 2015 at approximately 5pm. Upon arrival we were absolutely horrified to arrive at what looked like a community center in the middle of a huge council estate. The images from the Pontins website certainly did not have the view that we arrived too! Upon my first point, they need to radically upgrade their website images! The fact that we have driven over 2 hours to arrive at this monstrosity was extremely breath taking for all of the wrong reasons!

After checking in and driving through the utter horror of the ‘resort’, our CLUB apartment was somewhat similar to a disgusting prison cell! Broken chest of drawers and a filthy floor plus the beautiful scene of a concrete jungle left us in despair!

The restaurant area I can only describe as a filthy canteen where watching children stick their fingers in your food before you get to the heated plates and drinking with their mouths underneath the drink dispensers was absolutely horrifying! The tables were filthy, the floor was sticky and children running around with bare feet, extremely unhygienic.

After our Pontins dining experience, the evening entertainment was as painful as sticking pins in your eyes! The fact the children’s barbaric songs go on until 10pm is quite frankly ridiculous. Upon looking in their ‘guide’ the hotdog eatery turns our to be a hole in the wall.

After our terrible few hours of enduring the Pontins experience, we had no choice but to go to sleep and by 9am, the four of us were packing our things for our return journey home! Their beds were like sleeping on a set of water beds with a few dodgy springs in your back, the noise levels of children screaming and shouting all night left us with 5 hours sleep!

We paid to Pontins £198 for nights stay, £24 in Nisa on bleach, kitchen spray, window cleaner and floor cleaner plus our petrol for getting there and back again, £50. In total we have spent £272 for less than 24 hours at their 'resort’!!

I demanded a full refund for this amount and my friend and I now have two very upset daughters who have had their Easter weekend cancelled, all down to misleading advertising.

I am still waiting a response!!!!

• Holiday details: Apr 2015, Booked Independently
  • Advice: cancel it and go somewhere else!!!
by mrshomez

Dreadful place!

"Dirty floor in bathroom, black mold around edges, chairs rusty and sticky could or would not sit on them. Inside windows had spit and sticky finger smears all over. 2' 6" camp beds with lumpy ridged mattresses had to use spare quilt under sheet to get comfortable! Asked to have room cleaned but ignored above problem and just mopped the floor. Blue Coats never spoke to us and reception was only open a few short hours. The "events" list was not showing the advertised Rat Pack evening and there were no posters either. At Butlins the staff are continually letting you know what's on and where, not these Blue coats...never saw them except at meal times when they ignored us all. Lots of people were annoyed at not seeing the advertised Rat Pack but on our thankfully last day we were told it had been one singer on 3nights. What a disappointment as they advertise it as friendly, fun with great entertainment and lots to do.....not a chance...dirty venues, no staff around, things not open...boring! We were perhaps lucky in that the food was good..hot and good choice...maybe because there were not many people there. Everyone we spoke to said they will not be coming back. DO NOT Go THERE!"

• Holiday details: Mar 2015, Booked Independently
  • Advice: For them to clean and upgrade everything!
by Parawheels

Worst Holiday ever!!!

"I recently visited Pontins Camber Sands, with my 29 week pregnant wife and our 3 year old daughter We had already been on holiday earlier in the year, to Butlins in Bognor Regis and had a great time so our hopes were high and we were looking forward to our break.

We went into the Reception, I handed over my Booking slip and was then left standing there for 15 minutes, without any idea why. I eventually inquired and was told that they were checking the room, to ensure it was still clean. After another 10 minutes we were handed the keys and a welcome pack, which contained our breakfast/dinner vouchers but no idea what time it was served or where we actually needed to go. We then went straight to our room, relaxed until 4pm, and went to explore but we found nothing open, apart from an unattended games room that was littered with rubbish, and quite worryingly, dart tips.

We returned to our room and got ready for dinner. When we arrived at the Sands Restaurant there were 3 Pontins staff standing by a till and not one of them actually acknowledged us, so I had to ask what we had to do. We then got our dinner and then tried to find a clean table, which wasn't very easy. The food was lukewarm and of a very poor standard.

After dinner we went to the main hall, for the entertainment, which was ok, apart from two very disinterested bar staff who, even when I was the only person waiting, took an age to come over (at one point I was standing at the bar and another member of the Pontins staff came up beside me, at which point one of the bar staff walked straight passed me and served him!)

We returned to our room to sleep but, due the very poor quality mattresses, incredibly uncomfortable sofa bed, filthy bedding, noise from outside, as well as the room below, and my wife receiving bites from what we never found out, although I thoroughly checked the room and found no mosquitoes or other insects, neither of us were able to get much sleep.

We then went for breakfast, which was again not of a very good standard, even having to ask 4 times for a hard fried egg (due to my wife being pregnant) and still being given a yolky one. We then went back to our room, and had a good look around. we found a filthy cooker, filthy windows, mildew in the bathroom, dust everywhere and a filthy floor.

After all this we decided to give it one more try and I went to Reception to try and sort things out but I was told that there was no manager available. This was the final straw and we decided to leave, rather than endure it any further. On our journey home my wife received further bites, which we realized must have been coming from the bedding, that we had brought with us (as this was right next to my wife and not myself or daughter and neither of us have received bites) so we have now had to dispose of two king size quilts, two king size sheets, 4 adult pillows, one child's quilt and pillow. Just to add, all these items were taken straight from our beds at home and we have never had an issue with bites before

This was our last chance of a holiday, before our new baby arrived, and it was completely ruined. We have arrived home incredibly disappointed and having to make extra arrangements, to ensure we have at least some sort of relaxing break.

We then complained to Head Office and, after several letters, we were offered 50% off our NEXT break, we were even told that no further correspondence would be responded to.

Without a doubt, the worst company I have ever had the misfortune to deal with.

• Holiday details: Sep 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Go ANYWHERE else.
by Keith W

Great budget family holiday

"We have just come back from our 6th visit to Pontins Camber Sands and we had a fabulous relaxing holiday. We booked through the sun £9.50 offer so we got a mega deal. The amazing long sandy beach is just a five minute walk away, even though it is February we were very lucky to have wonderful sunshine so didn't need the waterproofs and hats that we had packed. Our accommodation was clean and tidy, we have never had any problems with out allocated rooms and are always pleasantly surprised to be given rooms very near to the pool and entertainment area. There has been a lot going on on site since we last stayed. There was lots of new signage, new security lighting, beautiful decorative lighting around site. There was an aviary of budgies, and an area where they can have bird of prey displays (presumably in the warmer months), the rooms were having new windows put in but there was not too much noise or disruption as they did this in the block next to ours. The main entertainment venue had had new ceiling decorations and a blue coat shop had been made where it is easy to purchase items rather that the bun fight by the stage that used to occur. The entertainment was good, John Clegg from BGT was on one evening, though we would have preferred the main shows to start an hour earlier as it made quite a late bedtime for the children. The crocs indoor play area has been completely redecorated and looked much bigger and very clean and cheerful. The pool was clean and lovely and warm, though it could do with many more showers and changing rooms, in the summer we tend to wrap ourselves in towels and do the dash back to our apartment, but didn't fancy it in the 8 degrees outside this time. There are 4 parks, the children especially like the wooden sandy one. It feels so safe that the children can go to the park on their own, something they can't do at home as ours is a 15 minute walk away. A great holiday, could have done with a few more days. Will be back for certain."

• Holiday details: Feb 2015, Booked Independently
by Ericka A

very disappointing in this site

"Have been to Pontins before, usually Brean Sands and has always been clean, friendly etc so we decided to visit Camber Sands! Worst mistake ever, this one was very dirty, room was full of mold, bathroom never cleaned, crisp packets stuffed between units and cooker. Wouldn't use kitchen stuff! I complained heard nothing! Food in restaurant looked revolting and they wanted near £20 a meal for 2 people! There was nothing open around there so ended up driving 30 minutes to get food! Shop was rubbish. Be aware if going to the hall for entertainment as it was up 3 flights of stairs! I was 7 months pregnant at the time and felt for those with strollers! It was so different from other Pontins! Its probably given Pontins a bad name!"

• Holiday details: Aug 2011, Booked Independently
  • Advice: dont go
by loopylou74

90's weekend break

"My husband and myself went to Pontins at Camber Sands for a 90's weekend break arriving on Friday 10th October 2014.on arrival we had a very welcoming welcome. We stayed in room 477 Club Apartment. The apartment had everything you would require for your stay including a loo roll and coffee/tea making facilities. We both could not fault our stay. The grounds were well kept and facilities very clean. After reading all those reviews I was very wary about this break and eating at the Restaurant. We both traveled around Camber Sands for Restaurants as we were wary about eating inside the camp. One day we had fish and chips outside the main gate, well what a load of rubbish, the pie was cold, did complain and gave me a fresh pie, but again very cold, horrible. On the camp there was an advert for fish and chips but we denied this. Well I must say that our weekend also gave us a free breakfast, thinking I don't fancy this. On the day of departure we went for our breakfast and what a big surprise, the breakfast was fantastic and I wished that I had had all our meals onsite. All I can say is that these people who are complaining must be after a free holiday, very sad people."

• Holiday details: Oct 2014, Booked Independently
by Sandra L

Worst place ever!!,

"We went on the Friday 5th September was due out on the Monday, lasted till Saturday morning at 8.45! People banging in your windows and doors, it's like a terrible council estate! Kids kicking footballs at your door before 7am, rooms very dated, old t.v with only 4 channels parking is an absolute nightmare, got searched going into the club house for drugs and alcohol which I've NEVER had done before on a holiday, was told we could not rent linen only but at £10 a single set and £20 a double, place was overcrowded, shop had barely anything in it, food on site was limp and not tasty. WORST TIME OF MY LIFE EVER. My children was scared through the night as people was banging on their bedroom windows please do not visit or waste your money"

• Advice: Don't go!
by T-m-b

Zero customer care - don't go!

"I am a single Dad with 2 daughters aged 8 and 11. This was a short break before back to school, so I chose to pay the half board supplement of £40 for 2 nights to avoid the need to shop and cook. total holiday cost £154.

I did not use the half board services and so my request was a very basic one - to refund the cost of the supplement £40. I do not understand why this could not have been resolved on the spot, especially as I now have to write to the resort?

I must say that this visit to Pontins was the worst holiday experience in my life. However, for the purpose of this review I will focus specifically on the restaurant.

Sat 30/8/14

1) We arrived at the Sands Restaurant around 18.15. There was no one at the entrance to meet & greet so I was unsure what the procedure was regarding the use of the dinner vouchers. There were 2 queues, a long one and a shorter one. We obviously chose the shorter one to the right of the entrance. After 10 minutes in that queue I offered my vouchers to the serving staff only to be told I was in the wrong section and these vouchers weren't valid. I was advised to go to the other queue,

2) I joined the other queue and asked the kids to find a table. They couldn't find an empty one.

3) We stayed in the queue for 20 minutes and when we got closer to the 'starters' the kids stayed in the queue whilst I went to secure a table. The tables were either occupied or full with dirty leftovers, plates piled high. I observed other guests clearing away plates from tables and dumping them on other tables, using serviettes to try and clean up. The floor was a safety hazard. Food had been dropped on the floor and not cleared up. Drinks had been spilled and not cleared up. This was not a place you would want to enjoy a family meal.

4) Without having found a clean table I returned to the queue and was now at the soup station. We picked up a tray. It was sopping wet as was every other tray. There were no spoons or knives. The forks were wet. I went to other areas to seek out cutlery - all sopping wet.

5) There was some kind of remains of chilled fish (salmon?) in a cabinet. There were small plates next to the fish, all very wet and not suitable to put food onto to. I observed that there were no utensils to serve yourself and guests were using forks to scoop a helping onto their plates, some using their hands to assist with the transfer.

6) We decided to skip starters and continued to queue. With the kids in the queue I went over to look at the dessert cabinet. The area was a total disaster. There were several choices of dessert but only two serving utensils. Guests were using whatver they could to obtain their portion which had resulted in the cabinet becoming such a mess. A member of staff did come to replenish but simply put down another plate of cake with no attempt to clean up the serving area.

7) I took the kids out of the queue and went back over to the other side of the restaurant where I had originally been in the queue. I spoke to a guy on the till and said that I would like to upgrade. He said that my vouchers didn't count and if I wanted to eat there I would have to pay the full price and couldn't offset my vouchers against the cost.

8) We left the restaurant as I couldn't bear to continue the debate any further or subject myself and my children to the chaos, uncleanliness and poor management of the restaurant. We gave it up as a bad job and bought pizza.

SUN 31/8/14

1) Breakfast at around 09.30. I couldn't believe it. It was worse than the dinner scenario.

2) The queue was even longer but this time I wasn't prepared to wait. I did a tour of the restaurant and the offer.

-Tables were again piled high with dirty plates

- No visibly vacant tables

- Food and drink on the floor with no sign of anyone caring about making it safe/clearing it up

- Little or no staff visible front of house

- Trays still excessively wet

- Little or no cutlery. What was available - very wet.

- Drinks station - surrounded by half filled mugs of some drink. Lack of clean mugs

- Drinks station - juice spilled everywhere. Plastic cups not available.

- The soup station had become a cereal area. All 3 tubes of cereal had overflowed from the dispensing unit. Cereal was piled high on the dirty work top and onto the floor. No attempt to clear it up.

- My thoughts were that if this is the state of front of house facilities what on earth would the back rooms be like. It was not a risk I was prepared to take.

3) I wasn't going to accept this standard of catering so I went to Reception. I spoke to a young girl and explained the above and asked for a refund of my half board supplement. She said she wasn't authorised to do so. I asked her to come and have a look at the state of the restaurant - she refused saying that she 'wasn't allowed to leave Reception'. I asked for someone else.

4) The Duty Manager came. He didn't have a name badge and he didn't offer his name. He wanted to talk to me from behind the reception desk and in front of other guests which I wasn't prepared to do. He eventually came to the end of reception.

5) Rather than explain my concerns and complaints about the catering (which I am attempting to do here) I asked him to accompany me to the restaurant so I could point out the various issues. He refused saying that he had just been in there and knew what it was like. He said unless you are 'part of the industry' you don't understand what it is like coping in busy times. My point here is that you don't need to be part of any industry to recognise that the restaurant was severely under resourced and poorly managed presenting these risks to the health and safety of guests.

6) My conversation didn't seem to be getting anywhere. He suggested coming back in half an hour because he had organised extra staff to come in, making a big thing that Lifeguards had now been asked to help out in there! I told him about the previous night but he showed little empathy and continued to try and justify that it was all about being busy.

7) I asked for a refund of the half board supplement. He said I would have to 'write in'. He didn't say where to write. He didn't take my name or room number.

He didn't offer to help resolve my complaint. In my opinion I was just fobbed off and offered no alternative. I was shocked how little concern this Duty Manager seemed to have about my family - totally unacceptable and poorest level of customer service I have ever experienced.

In summary, all I was asking for is a refund of a service which I booked in good faith expecting a reasonable standard. The half board arrangements fell below that reasonable standard. I did not use the service and therefore nobody 'lost out'.

• Holiday details: Aug 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Top Tip: Avoid it. Complaints are ignored because there are too many of them. If you complain you are only offered opportunity to go back at a discounted price to have another horrible experience
by Paul H

A THIEVES PARADISE. NEVER STAY HERE!!!

"If there was a zero rating, i would have picked that. My nephew & his fiance are staying with their kids & this morning my niece had her wallet stolen by 2 women (Who have been on the Jeremy Kyle show), stole her wallet, with all her train tickets & cash. Pontins & the police have done nothing & say it was a camera blind spot. I urge anyone thinking about staying at this thieves paradise STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!"

• Advice: NEVER STAY!!!
by Jeremy H

Terrible...and dirty. Please don't go!....

"I have NEVER written a holiday review for anywhere before, but this was by far THE worst place I have ever stayed...

When we drove into the 'estate' our faces dropped. There were people, rubbish and cars everywhere.

Parking was atrocious...we queued for ages while staff stood around talking to each other, while one woman served, then we arrived at our apartment...I still maintain that they didn't even attempt to clean it. The grill pan had the previous occupants food on it, the floor was filthy with human hair stuck to it, the table and chairs were covered in old food...it was revolting! We ended up buying our own cleaning products, bleached the floor, and wrapped bin bags around the chairs.

The arcade was terrible, one day a machine was on, and the next it wasn't, they broke down continually...the restaurant food was slop...noisy, inconsiderate parents, kids and yobs walking home at all hours...idiots banging on doors and windows at all hours...

Sooooooooo BAD! We left early, and were sooooooooooooo glad to be home. We will NEVER set foot in a Pontins again...terrible! Please don't waste your money! :-(

• Holiday details: Aug 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Stay somewhere else...
by James F

1 2 338 »

Map for Pontins Camber Sands Closest airport: London Southend (SEN) 44.1 miles

Traveller photo of Pontins Camber Sands Traveller photo of Pontins Camber Sands Traveller photo of Pontins Camber Sands Pontins Camber Sands photos (10 traveller photos)
Top traveller tips for Pontins Camber Sands
  • by Pointinspal

" Just join in with whatever is going on. "

• by Clare Saunders

" Get to the evening entertainment early if you want a seat. "

• by Betty Lemon

" Take your own cleaning materials and food "

• by meloo

" lots of lovely places to visit in the area but find other accomadation "

• by Dean Thornton

" if the weather is nice i would spend most of your time at the beach it's lovely "

• by kbird

" Take essentials with you ie: tea towl, dish cloth, washing up liquid and flip flops "

• by lucydee1

" take own towls "

• by Natasha Jowsey

" take food and own bedding and look at what events they have on as there is loads. The Lunar is downstairs where most of kids daytime entertainment is. "