Fortina Spa Resort

Location: 8.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Fortina Spa Resort

1 2 3 4 »
Excellent Hotel and a Great Stay

"Having been to Malta before with my friends 4 years ago which I really enjoyed it. I decided to take my Mum and Dad. We stayed here for a week from the 25th March until the 1st of April on a half board basis.

We booked with Mercury Direct having seen an advert in the Daily Mail. I thought it was an excellent offer as it included so much in the price. We had originally booked a deluxe garden view room at the 4 star Fortina Hotel which is the sister hotel.

Two days before we were going my mum and I went to the Vitality Show in Earls Court in London. It was just a coincidence that the show had a stall advertising both the Fortina Hotels. I got to speak to the owner of the hotel (Mike) and the Manager (Cliff) who were there and when I mentioned that I am coming there and staying at the 4 star hotel. Mike told me to give him my booking details and that he would upgrade us to the 5 star hotel. I thought that was very nice of him and was so pleased that we went to the show.

As soon as we reached Malta I knew we would have a great holiday. When we came out of the plane and entered the airport there some traditionally dressed Maltese people playing music and welcoming everyone and giving everyone a Maltese cake.

Once we got our luggage our Mercury Direct representative and driver were waiting for us and we were taken straight to our hotel.

When we got to the hotel we were checked in straight away and found the reception staff to be very helpful. The receptionist also explained everything about the hotel and our room and we were also given a welcome drink.

Room Facilities

Our room was on the second floor and it was a Tower Spa room. When we entered our room it was massive and very spacious. It has a super king size bed, a double sofa bed, a living room area, a TV, coffee making facilities, air-conditioning, balcony with a side view of the sea overlooking Valletta, a foot and neck massager, mini bar and a jacuzzi enclosed within the room,

The bathroom was also very big, triple the size of my bathroom at home, it had a steam shower, a jacuzzi and massage bath with lights, double sinks, and a derma-life machine. There were also plenty of towels, bath towels, hand towels, face towels, bath robes and slippers to use as well.The only thing that was not working was the lock on the bathroom door, but we didn't see this as a major issue and it didn't spoil our holiday.

The room and bathroom was cleaned everyday, with fresh towels and new toiletries been replaced if used. I must say the towels were always clean and of good quality. The girl who was cleaning our room was Maria and she was very nice and always smiling and talking when ever we saw her. Also a cleaner would come again in the evening to check if we needed anything or if anything needed changing.

Food:

As we were half-board we had our breakfast and evening meal included, although if you were out you could have lunch instead and the hotel staff very quite happy for you to do that. My parents and I are vegetarian so there was a lot of choice.

There were seven restaurants to choose from, The Valette which was a buffet restaurant, Hibiki was Japanese, Sa Re Ga Ma was Indian, Can Thai, was Chinese and Thai, Il Giardino was Italian and the Tinge and Taste restaurants were Mediterranean restaurants.

Breakfast (Taste Restaurant)

Our breakfast was served in the Taste restaurant. We were always greeted in a friendly manner by the staff. The breakfast was all buffet style and you just helped yourselves. I would say that there was quite a good choice for breakfast. There was a wide range of cereals, breads, fruit juices, dried fruit and nuts.There were also serving hot food which included, saugages, bacon, mushrooms, scrambelled eggs, potato croquettes, and backed beans. The chefs were also making fresh pancakes, fried eggs, poached eggs and omelettes to order. The chefs were so kind that one went out of his way to get some fresh coriander that I wanted in my omelette. They also had croissants and little pastries for breakfast too.

We also had lunch in this restaurant on our last day, which was very nice, as we had a late breakfast we had a light lunch of soup and a Mediterranean salad with roasted vegetables and cous cous. It was very nice and something different. I must say the portions were quite big.

The Valette Restaurant.

We went to this restaurant twice, on our first night and our fifth night. The choice here is adequate. There was a lot of choice the first time we went as they had a 3 main vegetarian dishes when we went the second time there was only vegetable omelette, I did ask the chef then to make me some vegetable pasta which he did do.The restaurant did have a lot of salad choice and there was always chips and boiled vegetables. For desert they always had ice cream and a choice of 3 other cakes. The only thing I could say is that there could be a bit more choice in this restaurant for all, including vegetarians.

You don't need to book in this restaurant just the others and you can do this from your room or by asking the reception staff.

Can Thai

My parents and I don't really go to Chinese or Thai restaurants here in the UK, But this restaurant was excellent and I can not complain as we went here twice. The food was very tasty and of very high standard. The girl who served us was very friendly and recommended what was good and worth trying as we told we don't eat meet. We could choose any thing from the menu, which included a soup, a starter, main, side dish and a dessert. I must say the wild mushroom and ginger soup was excellent and cooked really well. (I have never tried a soup like that before) There was a lot of choice for vegetarians too.

Il Giardino

We went to this restaurant twice as Italian is one of my Dads favourite as he loves his pizzas. Again in this restaurant you could choose any starter , main and desert. I must say the portions are quite big.they even had cannelloni as a starter, this was very nice and tasty. The first time we went we ordered 2 pizzas between us and couldn't finish them. The second time we went we just ordered one pizza, salad and cannelloni which was more than enough for us as we are not big eaters and do not believe in wasting food. I must say the staff in this restaurant were also very helpful and friendly and did their best to accommodate your needs.

Sa Re Ga Ma

This was an Indian restaurant and we went here only once. I wasn't too impressed with this restaurant as it had a limited choice for hotel guests and I didn't find the owner too friendly although his assistant was friendly. If you wanted to order from the main menu then you had to pay extra. They only had two vegetarian starter and main choices, and it seemed one of the curries we had ordered was frozen and had just been heated. We had also ordered 3 naans and were only given 2. We didn't say anything as we had already decided that we wont be coming to this restaurant again. Having been Indians ourselves we eat a lot of Indian food so weren't bothered about going there.

We didn't try the Tinge or Hibuki restaurant as they didn't have much vegetarian choices, but from what people said they were very nice.

Welcome Meeting

We had a welcome meeting with our Mercury Direct Representative the morning after we arrived. Our representatives name was Jonathan and he was very helpful and gave us lots of tips about Malta and the best way to go around Malta. He was always there at the hotel at a scheduled time if we needed him. After the meeting we were given a free harbour cruise tickets from a lady in the lobby area. She said that she would give us a spa treatment if we went to a talk about the hotel, as we were free we went. It was about a two hour discussion about the hotel, Malta and then a bit on time share, we were not interested in this, and were not forced into anything at all. We did get a ticket for a free spa treatment which was quite nice.

Spa Sante.

With our package we had the spa area included, which included 3 entrances to the spa area. this included, a jacuzzi, heated pool, meditation room, relaxation room, sauna room, steam room, ice room and a water walk. We also had the following included, facial, back massage, cleopatra bath, algae seaweed bath and algae seaweed wrap. All the staff in the Spa area were friendly and helpful and gave a high standard service on all treatments. We also had a free sightseeing tour ticket for a hop on hop of bus.

Location

The location for this hotel is excellent as it overlooks the sea front and Valletta. There are many shops and restaurants within walking distance from the hotel. There is a shopping mall which is a 2 minute walk from the hotel, which also has a supermarket. There are also bus stops near the hotel which are quite frequent. A day pass is only 2.50 euro, and you can go anywhere around Malta, and the buses are so easy to use and you cant get lost, if you do the Maltese are very friendly and helpful and will guide you on the right path.

The sea is just in front of the hotel and it worth doing the harbour cruise which is complementary. We also did a trip to Gozo with Luzzu cruises which was outside the hotel, and we were given another free 2 hour cruise with them which was worth doing.

It is also worth going to Midina, Rabat and Golden Bay beach, blue grotto and the fishing village.

Overall

This is my second time in Malta, last time I stayed in Qwara. I must say Silema was a nice location and I can not fault the hotel at all as myself and parents would definitely come back and recommend it to friends and family. I can definitely say it is a 5 star hotel. I don't understand how some people can give very bad reviews about this hotel and say it is a 1 star as this is not true at all. Like i said the only thing I was disappointed was the Indian restaurant. I would say this hotel is not really for young kids, and there is not much entertainment just someone playing a piano and singing in the evenings. It was very nice though and not having much entertainment didn't bother us at all as we had mainly gone to relax. I enjoyed relaxing in the jacuzzi in our room some evenings.

There is a computer in the reception area for hotel guests to use which was handy. We never had a problem with any staff member during our stay as all staff were always helpful to us when we asked them anything or needed to book the restaurants.

I would like to say a very big thank you to all the staff at the Fortina Spa hotel and Fortina Hotel for a wonderful stay. It was fantastic and my parents were very pleased I bought them

I would also like to say a special thank you to Mike and Cliff for upgrading us to the Spa Hotel and it was good to meet you both at the Vitality show in London. Its a shame we never got to meet you during our stay at the hotel. Hopefully next time as I will come back at some point and so will my parents.

If you would like to know more about this hotel please feel free to email on [---]

******** [

Shital] ******** Madlani

• Holiday details: Mar 2012, booked with Mercury Direct
by Shital Madlani

Don`t expect five star treatment here.

"First of all, the four star part of the hotel is very shabby indeed, more like a two star and the five star part of the hotel is only four star at the very best!.

The reception staff are ignorant and disinterested. The breakfasts are reasonably good and so are the evening meals., but we had to wait a long time to be served.

The spa treatments are way overpriced and it is hard to get a lounger by the pool. The best part of the hotel is the internal garden, especially when it is all lit up at night. The worst part of this hotel, are the time-share sharks up on the 12th floor and since returning home, we have read so many articles of people being scammed by them.

We like Sliema and the view of Valletta is very pretty, but here are far better hotels in Malta than the Fortina and my advice is to avoid this one at all costs!!

by Disappointed guest

Fortina Hotel Sliema

"We've just returned from a week's stay in the Fortina on a half-board basis. I've seen a lot of people discuss this 4/5 star concept. Has anyone ever seen a 5 star hotel which has carpet stains in the main bar? It may be Maltese 5 star which doesn't say much. Anyhow we stayed in a deluxe '4 star' rated room which was ok barring the poor seal on the shower screen which allowed water to leak all over the floor. Additionally the balcony rail wobbled which is a safety issue when one is on the 4th floor.

The hotel is poorly maintained and the staircase handrails to level -1 seem to be giving way - an accident waiting to happen. There are two inadeaquate lifts and my partner lost one of her toe nails when trying to hold the lift door open for me and it shut on her.

The self-service restaurant has average food for the evening meal. As for the 'dine around the world' concept

we tried the Tigne Mediterranean Brasserie which had nice food. We didn't however care for the Indian or Thai restaurants which certainly weren't up to the same standard.

Finally the swimming pools (outdoor and indoor) are not cleaned and somewhat neglected. We're used to Italian holidays where swiming pools are usually cleaned daily and well looked after. Also, the '5 star' punters are timeshare people. Excellent view of Valletta from the poolside.

Management response from Fortina, Guest Relations Manager 18 Nov 2010

Dear Fortina_Reviewer, We would like to thank you for posting your comments on this website. Please be assured that your comments have been passed onto the appropriate management and action shall be taken accordingly. Kind regards, Hotel Fortina team

• Holiday details: Apr 2010, Half Board, Booked Independently
by Fortina_Reviewer

A good all-inclusive hotel

"My wife and I booked a week through Spa Travel advertised in a Marks & Spencer catalogue; we met in Malta 40 years ago while I was serving with the RAF on the Island. The week's all inclusive stay in the Fortina Spa Resort (5* opened in 2006) and included Club Class return travel with either BA or Air Malta, with Malta transfers and a 2 hour harbour cruise, at a cost of £900 each. Air Malta (Heathrow Terminal 4) provided an outstanding service on both outbound and return sectors - far better than BA! We booked a superior harbour view room and were allocated one on the tower's 4th floor facing Pieta and Marsamxett harbours facing South West with fantastic views of North facing Valetta and sunsets over Rabat. The rooms are well appointed and clean with a queen size bed, lots of wardrobe space, big bathrooms with separate bath and shower, a well-stocked fridge (filled daily) and a large screen TV, which offers BBC World but you have to pay 3 Euros a day to watch movies and other channels. The balcony is large and has 2 sun loungers with cushions and a table. On arrival your picture is taken and imposed on an All Inclusive "credit card" sized pass, which you have to show at all times until the staff get to know you. This card can also be used in the Fortina hotel bars next door. All drinks are included except aged whiskies and XO Brandy and the like and the cocktail menu is very comprehensive and served by friendly bar staff. There is good live music in the bar area; sadly the piano and musicians are almost hidden from the Limes bar lounge, which has very little character and loads of bar stools, which make it difficult to get to the bar and order drinks. Evening meals have to be booked through the concierge who will provide you with hard copies of your reservations, up to 3 days in advance, for the Indian, Japanese, Med/Vietnamese (Taste), Pizza (for lunch and Friday & Saturday evenings only) and Thai/Chinese Restaurants. We did have lunch in the "4*" Fortina hotel next door, which is very basic and a bit like a Butlin's Holiday Camp - certainly not 4* - 2* at best. Breakfast is in the Taste Restaurant nearest the hotel Bar called Limes and has a good selection. We tried the Indian, Thai/Chinese and Med/Vietnamese restaurants and Pizza for lunch. House wine is offered and the white is medium and quite good but the red is very dry and rough. The Indian was first class in every respect but watch out for the very hot pre-starter, which comes with all meals; we ate there once. The Pizza restaurant is good for lunch; the soups and garlic breads were great but the dough in pizzas tasted awful. Taste (Med/Vietnamese - a strange combination) served quite excellent fillet steaks with a tasty sauce and roast/dauphine potatoes; we had 2 dinners there. By far the best was the Thai/Chinese Restaurant, where we had 3 dinners. This restaurant serves some of THE best Chinese/Thai food we have experienced in our worldwide travels and I commend it as our favourite. When you open the menu in the evening be sure to get the right page - most people try ordering from the lunch menu -the dinner menu is at the back of the book! The free boat trip with Captain Morgan's Harbour tours is highly recommended - even if you've already experienced this before as we had done a number of times. The boat leaves opposite Marks& Spencer's on the Sliema front, which is about 7 minutes stroll from the hotel and provides commentary in English and German. There are plenty of shops along the sea front and along Tower road, selling everything from McDonald's, Berger King, more up market cafes, boutiques, BHS and even a Monsoon. If you are looking for some fresh fruit and a few snacks/drinks for your room there is a very good 3 floor supermarket adjacent to a Next fashion shop immediately to the left at the top of Tower Road. Despite the hotel room guide giving 1200 as checkout time we received a flyer telling us to check out at 1100. A quick visit to reception armed with the hotel guide gave us a midday checkout after which we were asked to retain our all inclusive passes and offered lunch and drinks until we left the hotel. The only points to beware of are the invitations to be collected and taken away for a 2 hour timeshare brainwash, which we instantly declined. Also the lift doors don't take prisoners and my wife has the bruises to remind her and we met another hotel guest who had suffered the lift door "guillotine" effect. Also note there is NO room service or ice machines available (is this a 5* hotel?). Finally, if you like a 5 star holiday environment with the guests to match, then stay away from the Fortina Hotel next door; it is not a pleasant experience! Overall, a very relaxing holiday and hotel, which has everything you want in a good location."

• Holiday details: Oct 2009, All Inclusive, Booked Independently
  • Activities: Fortina Spa has 5 excellent restaurants
  • Good For: Beach, City Breaks
by chufferhuffapuffer

Fortina 5* - Overrates itself

"The Fortina Spa Hotel has a knack of talking itself up in its advertising to make you think you will be staying in one of the finest hotels you'll ever go to, yet it is far from what I expected of a 5* hotel.

I certainly can't complain about the room itself (wellness room). Very comfortable, great view over the bay to Valetta, huge luxury bed etc. My issue lies with what was portrayed by the hotel compared to the reality and how I had to have my schedule interrupted because of the hotel's timeshare scam.

I paid approximately €1,700 euros for a week's stay in a wellness room. I do a stressful job and this was my first break in a year and I was hoping to have my stay on my own terms. So having landed late on a Monday night, I was looking forward to a lie in on the Tuesday. At 08:30 however, I was awoken with a phone call from reception telling me I had complimentary harbour tickets for collection. I said I'd collect them later and went back to sleep. At some point later in the day, I went to reception to get them and they told me I'd need to get them from upstairs, so I left it. Then on the Wednesday morning, same routine; woken up yet again with a phone call at 9am telling me about my harbour tickets (despite having a 'Do not disturb' sign on my door).

Upon going downstairs to get breakfast and being collared by the girl with the tickets, I was then offered spa tickets as well if I did an hour tour of the hotel. I should have worked out that the hotel had used the harbour cruise tickets as a way to push a timeshare scam on you at the same time. I did the tour and it took 2.5 hours with some very pushy, patronising and aggressive salespeople. This is not what I expect of a 5* premier resort and was mortified at being woken up on two consecutive mornings with the hotel desperate to get me into the timeshare trap.

Other bad points are that there is constant building work in the area that makes everything dusty and keeps a constant noise around the hotel from early morning until early evening. The gym that is described as top class, really isn't. The equipment is all quite dated and it's not a big work out area. The response from the management, having written them a letter and an email, has been lacking; they sent me a reply to my mail to tell me they'd give me a response shortly, yet 2 weeks later and I'm still waiting. Lastly, there is no internet in the bedrooms which I would take as a given for almost any 5* hotel in the world.

When the building works are finished and without the pushiness of a company depserate to sell you timeshare, this will be a goodhotel, but I certainly wouldn't spend nearly €2k to stay there again.

• Holiday details: Aug 2009, Bed & Breakfast, Booked Independently
  • Activities: Water Polo matches, The rocks grill and bar, Exiles.
  • Good For: Beach, City Breaks
by Kev Amsterdam

Fabulous Fortina! :)

"We went to the fortina in july 2007 for a family holiday (mothers & kids plus the grandma) 6 of us in total. we booked a deluxe room with a garden view which was lovely. every day our mini-fridge was refilled and we were given the choice of what drinks we wanted. a full clean, clean towels & room most days. any problems (such as breaking the lock on the door which we did ooops) they were more than happy to sort with no complications. the view from our room was wondeful. we had a balcony, also gorgeous :) 6 pools in total (3 outdoor- both saltwater fine with goggles, 2 indoor- non salt water, one in gym area and 2 in spa area, one for cool swim or aerobics and one hotter than ive ever been in before- lovely for relaxing). the spa treatments also very good apparently, my mum and grandma both had one, well grandma had 4 but she deserved it paying for the holiday and all! daytrips and excursions also very nice, we went to mediteraneo (nearby marine park) and swam with dolphins. i had recently had my ears peirced and had to take them out, which caused them to heal up but it was well worth it :) dolphins gorgeous :) also do water shows and animal shows at mediteraneo- worth a watch *thumbs up*. we also went to splash and fun water park- very good but slightly grubby. when i got changed found hair and tissues in my bikini top ewwwww. the lagoon daytrip- we nearly went but were told it is VERY hot and as it was mid july and we had a 6 year old blonde who burnt easy we decided to give it a miss. also regular buses running for all different places. we took one to the market. when going on buses they get VERY crowded, try to sit at the front. or stand. hold onto hand rails and take a pocket fan as they are VERY hot and stuffy. keep your items close as there are pick pockets :(. as for the hotel its all gorgeous. we went all inclusive and the waiters at the pool bar were happy to serve us more than our fair share of drinks, ice creams, poolside snacks etc.. which the kids LOVED. :) hotel also has steps going right down into the sea! went swimming in there almost every day- very safe, even for a 6 year old with armbands. offers scoober diving lessons with a trained instructor going into the sea which i can imagine was great but not really our cup of tea. lots of shops and restaurants just a short walk, but there is quite alot of glass on the streets despite it being a nice area- think this is just what happens in malta. night entertainment at the hotel also good. music and dancing by the pool. theres also internet access but isnt included in all inclusive. think it is 2 maltese lira for half an hour? :S. well anyway, it was a much enjoyed holiday, we stayed for 2 weeks and it was the best family holiday ever! deffo recomended, thanks grandma :):):) x"

• Holiday details: Jul 2007, All Inclusive, Booked Independently
  • Activities: the ice cream bar is great, massive ice creams YUM :P
  • Good For: , City Breaks
by kw3

ripped off

"Just returned some what disappointed,I foolishly booked for one week all inclusive direct with hotel (Wrong move)a lot of the guests in the hotel had paid far less than i paid for TWO WEEKS including flights. (So be warned)also beware when you are offered two harbour cruise tickets you will be asked if you would like someone to show you around, unless you are into timeshare avoid it.

When we checked in we were offered an upgraded to a spa room with the garden view. I said i had booked a harbour view. we asked to look at the so called harbour view which had a very restricted view so we decided to take the upgrade,this was a very nice large room and as we found out was not really suitable for us being disabled.The Jacuzzi no had hand rails, the stairs up to the pool on the roof were rather steep.i wish we could have been younger or fitter to have appreciated what was in the room.

Apart from these issues we had a relaxing time.

All the restaurants in the spar hotel were really fantastic the food was genuine ala carte. the food in the fortina 4* buffet next door was very good i would say their breakfasts were better than the Taste in the 5* because there were warm plates and hot food.

I would definitely go again but not at the price i paid,will look more carefully next time.

by tankdriver

Fortina Spa Tower Block

"We have just spent an amazing week at the Fortina Spa Tower Block all inclusive this has been the best holiday we have had anywhere. The room and views were amazing and the staff exceptional. The idea of the numerous restaurants to choose from was very good. We found it very relaxing and stress free and the views are something to die for. When the building work for the new shopping centre is completed later this year it will be even better. Could not have enjoyed it more and the travel arrangements through Travel Republic were easy and everything worked out fine. Wonderful country and wonderful people this was our first visit of many."

by ts

We booked a Spa room at the Fortina...

"We booked a Spa room at the Fortina Spa resort for out honeymoon in August 2008. According to the brochure we would get a free upgrade to a spa room with pool, but when we got there they gave us a spa room with a jacuzzi on the balcony (which didnt work and had broken jets!) and they said if we wanted a room with pool it would cost us an extra 35 euros each per night for the next 2 weeks! We got stuck with that room until we could talk to the belair rep, who was very good and quickly got our room changed to one with a pool. There were other problems with the first room but it didnt matter once we got to the new one.

The most frustrating problem we had with the 2nd room was (as with the 1st one) the bath taps. A poor design meant the weight of the handle would turn itself back off very quickly. The only way it would work is by putting it on either full hot or full cold and gently trying to let go, quite a knack to getting that right! If you wanted any temperature in between, which you may well want if washing the shampoo out of your hair, you had to hold it on! When i called reception and they sent an engineer the engineer really couldnt see what the problem was with that and we know it was the same in the other rooms! The pool on the roof was very dirty when we arrived, and we have to go get a net to clear out all the rubbish ourselves, but once that was done it was cleaned every couple of days and was reasonably clean, however, i picked up an ear infection while i was there and i suspect it was that pool. Never had the slightest hint of a problem like that before.

The slabs along the side of the pool werent fixed on properly, again the engineer couldnt see anything wrong with it, but along one side they were stuck in with silicone sealant (and we noticed the engineers always had some in their hand everytime we saw one walking around!) Before i looked closely while getting out i fell back in as the slab came loose and tilted me back in. No harm done, but im young and have no problem with water, my wife however cant swim so would have been quite shaken up, an older guest may have been injured. Later in the holiday, while carefully treading on a slab near the edge it actually split in 2 and i fell in again! Im not heavy, so it cant be the first time its heppened, hence several other broken tiles held together with silicone sealant! We had lots of little problems but really couldnt be bothered to complain about most of them and just got on with our holiday. But our general feeling was that the holiday was not up to the standard it should have been for a 5 star spa resort, apparently the best in Malta by far! Building work was going on everywhere and the pool was overlooked by other rooms from the fortina 4 star hotel and the tower rooms.

There were 6 cranes over our pool, and although mostly quiet, they were unsightly and will be there until at least 2010. Foundations have started going down for a new shopping centre next to the hotel (which the local paper at the time reported hadnt had proper planning permission so had been stopped until they can back date permission for the so far 'illegal foundation work in the past 2 months') The shopping centre will have a debenhams, marks and spencer etc like those over here and it will take a long time to build, especially when you see the speed they work and the temperature they have to work in. So be prepared for lots of building work!

The main pool was nice, but with all sides surrounded doesnt get much sun in or around the pool, so was pretty cold, we used it a couple of times but the pool on our roof was nice and refreshing but not cold and there was plenty of sun around the pool too!

But, the hotel does have some redeeming features! The food is very good and really couldnt be faulted at all, most of the staff are very helpful and polite although you can see they get a lot of complaints and it grows tiresome for them!

The spa is very good and a very relaxing place to be, although we did use the spa bits in our room a few times, we spent most of our time around the pool on the roof or in the spa sante which was all included. We payed for a few extra treatments too and they were all very very good and relaxing. You can see why it has 5 stars when you see the spa and the food!

So, all in all, we did have a good time once we got over the initial disappointment, it is a nice place but the brochure does strech your expectations a bit too much. Be careful when booking, but make sure you get access to the spa, it is the whole point of the hotel and is really worth having!

by P K

The hotel/resort is in the middle of...

"The hotel/resort is in the middle of a building site. We counted 7 cranes from the room and 20 in the area. The work is set to go on for years. We were woken up before 8am every day by drilling and banging. Would not recommend! Not restful. The hotel was also refurbishing rooms and the noise made sitting by the pool unbearable. See uploaded video with sound. This only stopped when a promotional video was being made and for a conference lunch. The hotel refused to accept responsibility.

The gym (described as world class) was very disappointing. The cardiovascular machines were old and were not working properly. We had to walk into the next door hotel to use it and it was split up into three rooms around the indoor pool. The pool was dirty and we only saw it cleaned after we complained. The best thing about the holiday, apart from the weather, was coming home!

by travellingteacher

We have just returned from this Hotel...

"We have just returned from this Hotel in Malta initially we booked the four star Hotel Fortina but upgraded in resort to the Five Star. If you book check which hotel you have booked as the four star is less superior and caters for old age bridge players and pensioners there for two months stay. The Four star operates an all Inclusive Buffet which is not great and caters for the mass produced you can pay an upgrade to dine around in the other restaurants but this limits you to a set menu in each restaurant with three choices per menu . These other restaurants also have to be booked at least a day in advance to get in. The four star operates two bars one is a dance lounge where all the locals go to for a catch up and generally there are no seats and the other is a smaller bar on the lower level which is okay but is used by smokers . The drink choice in both of these is limited to local brew and mixes. The four star is shabbby in places and is like a saga hotel . The five star is next door but if you book into this it is fantastic you can you all of the restaurants and the A la Carte is all free plus a seperate bar which does decent drinks and international brands the spa sante is included on which room type you choose and the Theraputic Spa rooms are worth paying extra for. The web site is slightly confusing the reception staff can be a bit rude but everyone else is great . Just check what you have booked and make sure you are in the right hotel."

by N Smith

This place was awful. I have read a...

"This place was awful. I have read a few reviews and was shocked to find that so many people had enjoyed the holiday experience at the so called '5* Fortina Hotel'. We booked this holiday as we enjoy the idea of all inclusive, meaning that what we've already spent on the holiday means we have that little extra for excursions and visits around the island. We were so disappointed with misleading information with regard to the FREE Thalasso Spa sessions, we were eventually told about this after our 3rd/4th day. We had asked on numerous occasions how we could book this and all we were told was to go to the reception area and enquire.

The ALL INCLUSIVE was not what it seemed. The only area that was all inclusive was the 'Valletta' buffet restaurant, which served lukewarm food which had stood around for ages and wasn't being replenished often enough. In fact my husband was so ill after the 4th day that he stopped eating anything cooked and this lasted for a further week after we returned home.

If you want an ALL INCLUSIVE holiday I suggest you book anywhere but Malta - rick1803 said exactly what I wanted to say back in October!

by T

1 2 3 4 »

Map for Fortina Spa Resort Closest airport: Malta International (MLA) 0.7 miles

Top traveller tips for Fortina Spa Resort
  • by Kev Amsterdam

" Great part of town for beach for beach front restaurants and stunnig views "

• by Fortina_Reviewer

" If you enjoy nice food and cleanliness don't go here "

• by Shital Madlani

" Make the most of the facilities you have in your room, bathroom and the Spa Sante area. Also enjoy all the lovely restaurants and the walks along the sea front. "