Grand Hotel

Good

Cleanliness: 8.5/10

1 2 3 »
was good in its time

"the island is great but since my first visit to the grand 20yrs ago a lot has changed and now you have more choice of hotels even though the grand still has the best location of sea frontage

i have now stayed also at hotel enekhla and is far superior

as for the grand it needs a face lift

• Holiday details: Sep 2012, Booked Independently
  • Advice: check the price
by Hayley S

Absolutaly Brilliant

"The Hotel Grande on Isle de Kerkennah,Tunisia is easily the best place i have ever stayed in ,the rooms are clean,the food id great and the staff are amazing;they are so friendly and helpful, they can't do enough for you,they're never ever pushy and they are very good at what they do,I haven't been for a few years but i know that when i go again i will be greeted like an old family friend which is why i will be going again.There's the swimming pool and sun terace or if you prefer there is a private beach where the water is so clear that you can see the bottom,there's carriage rides,horse riding if you feel a bit more energetic and at your midday meal you can eat at the snack bar or the resterant it's totaly your choice which is why i would recommend it to anyone.There's even a shop and a bank on site to make things easier for guests.They also have entertainment every night except Mondays so that the guests leaving early on Tuesday can have an early night and not get disdirbed.They also do trips to the mainland such as the desert safare where you go into the sahra desert on camels to watch the sun set."

• Holiday details: Sep 2006, half board, booked with Panorama
  • Advice: Just to relax and enjoy your holiday.
by Katt;sweet enough

Well what can i say, another...

"Well what can i say, another fantastic year on the beautiful island of Kerkennah.

This was my 22nd year of visiting, my 35th visit to be exact! Thats how much i love the place, and it hasn't changed a bit.

I have made so many friends on the island and every year, they are still they and as friendly as ever. This year i satyed with some friends who are liveing in the village for a year, and it was fantastic.

I can highly recommend Kerekennah, when you have been once you wll want to go again and again (Speaking from a true lover of the island!) Seriously don't miss out on this one its fantastic, you won't find another place like it!

by A Wylie

Thought it was a good idea to add a...

"Thought it was a good idea to add a review for those who have never been to this destination or hotel. This was our first time and like the brochure says 'it was 2 star and very quiet'.

It was exactly what was needed for both of us and we went ahead and booked it. really looking forward to 2 weeks of bliss. The first week was wonderful, room very basic but sleepable (as long as you had air conditioning), the views were stunning, beach awesome and pool area substantial.

Yes the journey is long but when you arrive the scenery is breathtaking and it does make it worthwhile. The food leaves a lot to be desired though!!! After reading reviews on all websites we were prepared for bad choice but it was truly abysmal. The chefs lacked basic food regulations and the same foods re-appeared night after night. Needless to say there were countless complaints of stomach upsets and the local taxi driver made a fortune running everyone to the chemist.

It is a nightmare as you can't really go out to find another restaurant without taking a taxi to one down the road - the pizzeria. This sounded good although when i asked about it they had ran out of pizza for the previous few nights. I'm not a massive pizza lover but anything was better than the hotel food.

Then the second week appeared and it was a nightmare - 3 trips to the chemist followed by a evening call from a doctor to confirm an ear infection and 5 days of agony. The reason - the pool was not clean!! In the first 9 days there i never saw it cleaned once then after a few complaints it was done religously every morning.

It is a shame that they do not consider cleanliness more at the resort although no doubt this will change in future.

Overall, the location and the beach is stunning. Some of the staff are fine and the locals are not the best around the place especially for cleanliness.

Yes, we may go back but only if there were major changes and only if it was upgraded to a 4 * status.

by D Booth

just got back (sunday) this was my...

"just got back (sunday) this was my partners 4th time my mother inlaws 3rd time and mine and my daughters 2nd time and we are already trying to book again for next year.If what you are looking for is a quiet relaxing holiday in paradise then this is for you . just be aware the journey is long and hard but worth every minute.

look out for the horse and carriage people out side they will take you and show you everything you need to know and see (some of it breathtaking) get to know the staff (they hardly ever change) enjoy the different styles of food(something for everyone). all in all this is our favorite holiday destination and hope its still avaliable for years to come . Many thanks Hotel Grand.

by RJ HUTCHINSON

Another good holiday at the Grand, it...

"Another good holiday at the Grand, it was good to see some of the same faces again, as well as a good welcome back from the staff. It was a bit different this year, upgrades were being made as the President was arriving - it was comical watching these going ons. One whole block was shut off for him. The weekend of his visit was very quite, no locals were allowed in, the pool was empty as well as the beach - like our own private resort.

This was out 4th visit and we are looking forward to going back again next year

by I J Kenny

Have been again and enjoyed it just...

"Have been again and enjoyed it just as much. This time it was so quiet that it seemed like we had our own villa. Brilliant. We were outnumbered by the staff.

We had perfect weather for the whole two weeks. A little breeze on a few days cooled the air which was nice, especially as we had average temperature of 36deg c for the whole time.

Remains the same, peaceful, quiet and enjoyable. You don't know what your missing. For those who are put off by the transfer, they have opened the new motorway and have cuit an hour off of the journey. so coach ride is 1 1/2hrs now instead. This is much better. All the same people seem to be around in the team of staff so you will be meeting old friends if you have been before. Or they will become your friends if you have never been.

by R Cook

I have now been to this destination 4...

"I have now been to this destination 4 times, and am going twice in 2008.

my parents have gone at least once a year for the last 15 years.

it is not luxury, it is basic. it has adequate food. it has wine and beer. it has sun. it is relaxing and a chill out is really the purpose of this place. beautiful quiet and calm. you will come home tanned and relaxed. its just hard to get back to this life once you have been to Kerkennah.

by Russell Cook

I was just thinking back to the time...

"I was just thinking back to the time I spent in Kerkennah and decided to google it to see what I could find... what memories it would bring back!!

Believe it or not, I have only visited Kerkennah once and only for one week, but it was fantastic, like many others, I wish I had stayed for longer! Some family members had previously visited and decided to go back a year or two later, so we decided to join them, but I only went for the 2nd week.... a decision I regretted the moment I stepped onto the ferry!

We were lucky enough to see dolphins following us and showing off jumping in and out of the water which was pretty amazing in itself! The island isn't showered in fast food restaurants, high rise hotel chains, or the bright lights of bars, restaurants and clubs... it remains as it always been, traditional!

If you are looking for the party scene, this is most definitely not the place to go. If you want to relax, enjoy the natural beauty of an unspoilt island, then this is the place!

The hotel is very basic, but I have no complaints, like someone else said, to be able to open the shutters in the morning and to step onto your balcony and have that amazing view with hardly another human in sight, it's unbelievable! The food isn't wonderful, but you can eat it!

For me, the natural beauty of the island and the friendly staff and locals are what made this holiday. I wasn't sure that a place without a McDonalds existed, but am pleased to say that it does, in Kerkennah!

There isn't much to do, you can visit the lady who bakes bread in a pot, you can visit the little shop with the tree growing in the small court yard, you can visit a small bare coffee shop and feel welcomed and not at all intimidated! We went on a sea picnic and sailed out so far that the land was only just about visible.... and still the water was only up to our waist!

It was one of the most amazing places I have ever been fortunate enough to see and hope that one day I will go back! There are not many places that you can still be so fond of and think to google when you visited them approx 5 years ago! (I had to select 2005 as the year of my holiday, as I couldn't go back any further than that)!

If you are young or old, with or without children, this is a great place to visit & the memories will stay with you forever!

by K Madlin

My husband and I have just returned...

"My husband and I have just returned home after 7 nights in Kerkennah and all I have to say is - one week is way too short!

This was the most relaxing time we have ever had together and we are kicking ourselves we didn’t book it for 2 weeks instead. Initially, we needed a relaxing holiday as we were exhausted, due to our heavy work lifestyle in central London. We wanted somewhere where we didn’t have to worry about being sheep on a beach and fighting for deck chair space, and where we didn’t have to worry about binge drinkers throwing up on the beach resort and coming in drunk at 3am in the hotel. We also didn’t want a high rise, 10 story block hotel dumped on a beach.

Basically, for years I have dreamed of a place like Kerkennah, (an affordable place in paradise) but I just didn’t think it existed. Everything seemed so commercialised these days and manufactured with no character. We were the only people there who were first timers. Yes, the hotel might be basic - but it is clean, which is the main thing, and looks beautiful from the outside. Who cares when all you do is sleep in it anyway!

Also, its only two floors and every room has a sea view. People pay thousands in other resorts for views like this and it really is breathtaking. In the morning, you open those shutters and all you can hear is the sea - there might be a couple of people on the beach but that’s it. Ok, the evening entertainment might not be extravagant or plentiful, but who cares? Personally, this is why I come on holiday, to relax, sunbathe and have a few drinks in the evening. If I want a heavy night life – I’ll just stay in London!

One of the best things however, was the feeling that you are part of a family when you are there. Kamil, Sabba and Captain Hedi are people we will never forget and who I really took to after just one week. I almost feel as if I have to come back just to visit them and see how they're doing. I know that September is a quiet month and August is completely different, but this was our experience anyway.

by  Vida Radulovic

My wife and I are returning to...

"My wife and I are returning to Kerkennah for the first time in 4 years this September, and are looking forward to it enormously.

This will be our 6th visit to the island, and from reading other reviews, it looks as if nothing much has changed; yes the hotel is basic, and yes, the evening entertainment leaves a lot to be desired - if, that is, you prefer 'entertainment' to having a few drinks with nice people.

True, there isn't much to do on the island - that's what we love about it...

Kerkennah is a small island with no resort as such; as a result, the huge beach in front of the Grand is virtually empty all the time; if you're idea of a holiday is clubs and laid on entertainment, you'll hate it.

On the other hand, if you want to relax completely and be pampered by wonderful friendly staff, this is the place for you.

by J Garten

Just returned from the most idyllic...

"Just returned from the most idyllic two weeks in the paradise known as Kerkennah.

The hotel, although two star, we received four star service, nothing was too much trouble.

The rooms were spotless, the food was of a good standard, and however, you can run out of things to do with eggs for breakfast, top tip, take your own cereals with you.

The entertainment in the evening left a lot to be desired, Tony, the DJ, was flogging a dead horse most of the time, but the holiday was about making your own entertainment, and with the people we met, we certainly did that.

There isn't a lot to do on the island, there are a few tourist type attractions, but we sampled the local life by trips into Remlar, the island capital. Our holiday rep. Julie was excellent, whatever the request, Julie was able to deal with it, was always available, and playing bingo in paradise needed to be seen, to be believed.

My partner, Karen and I fell in love with the island from the first moment we opened our room windows and saw the beautiful sand, palm trees and sea, just outside our window, so much so we decided to get married and spend our honeymoon, there in October, lads be careful, it gets you that way.

As you can tell, there are a lot of positives on the island, and the hotel, however, I want to give a balanced view.

The weekends, need to be avoided, at the hotel, there is an invasion of locals, and the tranquillity of the place is totally disrupted, arrange your trips for the weekends. There is a policy at the hotel that locals pay 10 dinars to use the facilities, it doesn't happen, they use them anyway.

Can I recommend the hotel and island? No! Because I don't want anyone else to know about a little bit of paradise Karen and I have found.

by Munday

1 2 3 »
Stayed at Grand Hotel? Share your insight.