Irida Apartments

Service: 8.5/10
Food: 7.5/10

1 2 3 4 »
Don't Listen to the Whiners

"Just spent 2 weeks (14-28 June 2014) at these apartments with my husband and 2 children and would go again in a heart beat. Yes, the rooms are basic but we had everything that we needed, including clean bedding and towels at regular intervals. If you want daily maid service then pay for a hotel with more stars. The staff were welcoming, helpful and friendly and the food is delicious. Must mention Sissi the owners dog, a real sweetie. The beach with all the tavernas, bars and shops is a 10-15 minute stroll although it is well worth the effort to walk the entire length of the Stalis Beach Road as there are some real characters to meet. Look out for the 'Crepe Man' with his bell. Stop and chat to people, they really aren't only after your money. All in all well worth a visit."

• Holiday details: Jun 2014, booked with Easyjet holidays
by Sue H

Basic but recommend

"This was a lovely place to stay, had read reviews before I went and was worried about unfriendly staff but they were excellent. Believe they have new staff since last year. Arrived very late and was meet and shown to room

even helped carry our bags. Rooms are clean but basic the norm for Greece, could have done with a little book in room to explain were everything is and what the hotel provides. I found the food to be pricey but plenty of other places to eat at. Main town a 20 minute walk away with beach just 5minutes away. Very good books bus service if you want to get around. Yes near a main road but not to noisy, people ride around on quad bikes and as it is usually there first time are very bad drivers so have to watch out.

Pool for is lovely and the owners dig likes to walk around and be petted, very tame, never had to worry about any mess.

Highly recommend and will be going back next year.

• Holiday details: May 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Visit the town early on to chect out restaurants, then you see how cheap they are. Greek food is best, english always costs more and if you want that food why go away.
by youngbabsj

Seriously the worst place I have ever stayed.

"Stayed here for two weeks in the summer. I moved hotels after 2 days as this was truthfully the worst place I have ever stayed. Just look at the pictures. Below were my main problems.

There was a big hole in the wall in the main bedroom which had exposed pipes.

Fuse box above wardrobe with no cover on which looked extremely dangerous.

The frame of the bed was made of cheap plywood and this was razor sharp. Every time I got in and out of bed I would cut or scratch my leg.

The bathroom had the most ridiculous layout. The room was just over 1.5 metres wide and the toilet and sink faced each other. This meant that I had to literally climb over the toilet to get into the shower. This was extremely dangerous as it was also quite slippery and I found myself falling over on numerous occasions.

There was no drain in the shower; just a big hole where the water went down right in the middle! It was about 4 inches by 4 inches and I lost count how many times my ankle fell down there causing me minor cuts to my skin.

In the bedroom there were live wires sticking out one of the plug sockets making a buzzing sound in which I was too afraid to use it in case it caused me injury.

The front door did not shut properly and was made of wood about half an inch thick which could have easily been knocked down with a single kick. The gap below it was at least 5 inches which made the air conditioning completely pointless (which was directly above the door) as hot air kept coming in underneath.

One of the windows had been smashed and it had not been replaced. There was just an empty gap with a tiny bit of cardboard covering it. Anyone could have put their hand through it and opened the window from the outside. This also defeated the object of paying for the air conditioning as it kept coming through the window. The problem with this is that insects kept coming through as well.

The shelf was broken in the shower and was hanging of the wall. The same situation with the mirror in the bathroom.

I was shocked that Thomas cook allow their customers to travel to accommodation without a fire alarm facility. If there would have been a fire at night I would have had no way of knowing before it was too late.

The fridge door was broken rendering it pointless as it did not keep anything cool. Not very good for self catering! I was also only supplied with one glass and one plate and the cooker was in a disgusting state. It would have been dangerous to cook on. There was also no cutlery provided.

The maid only came three times in 14 days. This is very poor service and I found myself emptying my own bins and taking them down to the bins in the town centre as they were full before the maid would come.

After midnight the whole resort was pitch dark and no lights were provided making it dangerous to walk down the slippery slopes.

It was rare to have any sort of hot water.

No telephone, no safe deposit box, no TV filter coffee machine, no internet, no balcony and no hairdryer as advertised by the travel agent and as advertised on your website.

The bathroom door did not shut without great force as the hinges were broken and once it was shut I found out there was no handle so I had to call a family member who was staying in a hotel 500 metres away to come and let me out.

DO NOT GO HERE!!

• Holiday details: Sep 2012, booked with Thomas Cook
  • Advice: DO NOT STAY HERE!!
by chrisking73

Thanks Irida

"Makis, Cleo and Kelly were all very welcoming and did everything we asked of them. We sampled breakfast and dinner, which were both of a good standard. Accommodation was good (maybe a bit dark) but we did stay in one of the back apartments. A bit basic if your going to cook as not too many utensils, especially a carving knife or any sort of knife to cut bread. Rooms were cleaned every other day with clean towels. Pretty gardens and a nice pool area with bar. So all in all a pretty good time was had by adults and kids. Thanks for everything and see you again soon.

Shaun, Irene, George, Ashley, Brad, Connor and Jake

• Holiday details: May 2012, booked with Lastminute
  • Advice: The friendly people make your holiday
by Bradley D

"I recently spent a week at Irida Appartments in Stalis and because the holiday was resonabily cheap I didn't expect much.

negatives:

Before going I read the reviews on various websites which most stated the staff were really friendly and welcoming, this was not our case.

The staff could barely speak English which made communicating difficult. They didn't bother speaking to us unless we were ordering food or drinks, but as all these were overpriced we didn't do that often. After spending a day next to the pool we ordered lunch which was cold and the drinks were flat. They didn't try to communicate to us at all, even when just walking past, i believe because we went in October so it was near the end of the season they didn't make any effort at all because they weren't really interested in our money, so obviously during peak season they would make more of an effort.

We stayed in appartment 1 which is right next to the bar, music was playing throughout the day and often lasted late at night. Irida is located right next to a main busy road so it was hard to relax like most would want to on holiday. This means it was hard to relax during the day and also difficult to sleep during the night.

The first 2 days it rained so this meant the showers didn't heat up and were freezing, so when we asked the staff they came in, ran the tap or shower, talked to themselves in Greek then left.

The shower was dirty and the drains were blocked so minutes after the shower was switched on it was overflow onto the floor, luckily there was a rain on the floor so the water ran down that one no problem. Also after switching the shower off the pipe would leak.

The bed were solid and uncomfortable and the pillows were near enough none existant.

The "cooker" wasn't fit to be called a cooker, it was dirty and small so we didn't even bother using it.

In the bathroom, the "window" was literally just a hole in the building with a piece of material pinned on, and when i say pinned i mean using drawing pins. The windows in the "kitchen diner / bedroom" were so small it was constantly dull in the room, even when they were open, we often had to leave the front door open to have light during the day.

The pool was cold, i don't want to sound petty because whenever i get into any pool it's cold at first, but this pool didn't warn up, it was constantly cold. Also dirty with leaves and dirt at the bottom.

The accomidation was a complete let down, as the holiday was cheap i weren't expecting much but this wasn't worth the money.

I felt most let down by the staff, I was looking forward to friendly helpful staff but instead we just felt unwelcome by them the whole time. They tend to just sit at the bar looking miserable and smoking like chimneys.

positives:

the beach was only a 10 minute walk.

the bus stops were a few minutes away, one on either side of the road.

stalis town was only a 20-30 minute walk.

I think it's fair to say I will not be returning to this accomidation, ever.

• Holiday details: Oct 2011, Room Only, Booked Independently
by Ashleigh

Acceptable

"Have just spent a holiday at the Irida apartments. The Irida apartments are in a fabulous location for public transport or excursion pick up points.

The accomodation itself really is very very basic so don't expect any frills.

Drinks and cuisine are not the best or cheapest for this area.

These apartments are portraid as being good for a cheap holiday, for what was received the price paid is not justifiable in fact I would say a tad expensive.

However they are very good if you just want to hit base as somewhere to shower and sleep.

• Holiday details: Sep 2011, Room Only, booked with Holiday Gems
  • Advice: Don't expect to want to cook or relax in the rooms, they are a touch base only accomodation
by Sun lover

Basic but ok as a base!

"My wife and i and my 2 teenage sons and girlfriends have just had a week at the Irida apartments and was worried b4 we arrived after reading some of the reviews. The location is on the edge of Stalis and about a 15 to 20 min stroll into the centre of the resort.The rooms are very basic but ok and any problems were soon dealt with by Makis the owner who is a pleasant chap.Dont expect 5 star rooms cos they arent but if you just want a pleasant base to chill when you want it is fine. The pool area is very good and nice and relaxed and quiet during the day.The bar area is also a nice place to relax with a drink.Makis does the cooking and the meals you can order are very good and he will do you snacks if you ask such as chips, toasties etc.The owners boxer dog Sissy adds to the charm of the place is always ready to play.Overall we found the Irida a decent relaxed place to use as a base only and have a few drinks b4 or after your evening out. To get about hire a quad down in Stalis for the week for about 80 euros and it adds to the holiday and is easier to get about. Malia is about 15 mins away on a quad.Dont be put off by the bad reviews cos it is a decent place for the price you pay."

• Holiday details: Jul 2011, Room Only, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Hire a quad bike.
by Oggies from Hull

its a pleasure to keep returning

"what more can i say, again me and my wife have just had the most wonderful 2 weeks holiday at the irida.

we have met friends old and new and really had a glorious time.

kleo your great and we all love you so much and makis was at is usually culinery best, the food that he cooks is well worth the money.

we spent a few days exploring again and went up to old hisonisoss town and pisspiano the tavernas are super i had pasta and prawns for my dinner it was wonderfull.

we even had a day in malia and it was bumping but we returned to the irida and the peaceful pull just to relax for the rest of the day.

please dont have any reservations adbout staying at the irida you will have a brill time.

terry and pat

• Holiday details: Jun 2011, Room Only, Booked Independently
  • Advice: just take it slowly and enjoy the peacefulness
by ticmon2001

Irida .... just lovely!

"I went to Irida apartments with my daughter in July 2009 and I returned in 2010 . I stayed in apartments 4 and then 12 and both were lovely. The cooking fascilities were a bit rubbish, but I didn't even bother cooking, because the apartments were cheap, so I took lots of spending money and ate out every night. Who wants to cook on holiday? The pool area was lovely and the other guests quiet and nice. People from all over Europe. Not just English. The bar is usually open and the food served is good. Cleo is helpful and friendly. Costas the barman wasn't there in 2010. Evidently he's moved to Athens! Near by , we went to Star Beach for a day and up to Aqua Plus water park. Highly recommended! The restaurants in Stalis were all excellent. Especially Romantic Corner, who remembered me from the year before as soon as we walked in!

My daughter LOVED the pool and the chocolate ice creams at Irida.

I definately recommend this to people on a budget. Save your money to spend when youre there.

• Holiday details: Jul 2010, Room Only, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Great for a quiet holiday.
by charlie

Worst apartments in Greece

"Stayed in many apartments in Greece over the years and the Stalis is the worst I've ever been in. Although the outside area was kept clean, the apartments were rarely cleaned. The bin in the bathroom was emptied every 3 days!!! The owner was rude and unwelcoming - we would never eat there because she smoked, put down her cigarette then served your food and they had a dog that didn't stop yapping - never again! Stalis itself was a beautiful place and there are some much better apartments around"

by Sandy

Another Great Hols at the Irida

"Me and my wife have just retuned form 2 weeks at the irida and again we had another great holiday.cleo the owner made us very wellcome again and i fell in love with her daughters dog nicole who i took for a walk every day. we are most definately going back again next may.

we spent a few days out traveling on the local bus witch is very cheap and took a trip to mohos on the happy train and if anyone goes up there they must visit cleos father who owns a very old greek coffee house and sells the most dangerous raki i have ever tasted, but the nicest way to pass the days are round the relaxing pool catching the rays.

you will most surley enjoy your stay

pat and terry whitter wigan

• Holiday details: May 2010, Room Only, Booked Independently
  • Advice: try it
by ticon2001

Fabulous holiday

"We have just come back from the Irida Apartments and it is so great, we are going back in September. We had a little house with bedroom and balcony upstairs. The staff are fabulous and very helpful. The place is clean and comfortable and everybody, staff and guests, are like old friends. We love it!!! The beach is a 3 minute walk away but close to the bus stops so you can go anywhere on the island with the minimum of fuss. It is the most brilliant holiday we have had. Cleo, you are a darling, love you to bits and see you in September."

• Holiday details: May 2010, Breakfast Included, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Go there, you won't regret it
by linnypinny

1 2 3 4 »

Map for Irida Apartments Closest airport: Nikos Kazantzakis (HER) 3 miles

Irida Apartments photos (10 traveller photos)