Malama Holiday Village

Value: 8.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Malama Holiday Village

1 2 »
magical malama

"Arrived at the Malama late at night and was met by the receptionist and the night security man- both were really friendly and gave us local information as to where the late opening shops were to get essentials from- ie water etc. The shop was a ten minute walk away- out of malama turn right to main road then right again. The security man even helped us carry our cases to the room. The room- one bedroom superior suite was clean and had a lovely bedroom and balcony. Kitchen had everything you needed- teatowels, washing up liquid etc. Bathroom was fantastic- towels provided along with toilet roll! Beach towels could be hired from hut near pools.The apartment was fully air conditioned too- make sure all doors are closed for it to come on. The hotel is immaculate! Pools are great- indoor spa is fabulous and makes for a great photo shoot! The staff all around the hotel were so friendly and helpful. My children age 16 and 11 got really friendly with the childrens entertainers- Mario, Zylvie and Sorin- great memories for my children to bring home with them.Thanks you three! Pool activities included water polo, aqua aerobics etc and the reps try to get you involved! ( without being pushy! ) The beach just down the steps or ramp is small but spectacular- very picturesque! Local good restaurants include the one on site- all you can eat buffet- about 15 euros a head. On the main road there are numerous ones that we loved! Tonys, Karas village tavern and Faliros. Food enough to feed an army!!! Local buses take you to protaras for 2 euros- bus stop is out of Malama, turn right- up to main road then left to the roundabout- bank here on the corner- bear laft and bus stop is 50 yards or so away, The number 101 there and number 102 back! Use the coca cola man as the marker for where to get off coming back- you will see him! Fabulous time had by all- going to return next year for 2 weeks and try all inclusive this time and hire a car! Want to see more of the island!"

• Holiday details: May 2011, Room Only, booked with Miss Ellies Travel
  • Advice: try the buses!
by tracyward

Having read some of the comments I...

"Having read some of the comments I wonder if I have been staying at the sme place! We have been to the Malama twice with family - 2001 and 2003 and last year just the two of us.

The first time the place was better looking in reality than in the brochure.

The staff are friendly - you get back what you give - facilities are good and clean.

Private cove is brilliant. Main restaurant has themed food nights every night - and some of them are 'same- ish' but not unpleasant. It is suited to couples and people with young children as there is no wild night life. Enough restaurants within walking distance to have a good choice.

The last 2 time we booked with Malama and flights directly. Personally we feel there is a different relatinship if you do that. You get to know the staff and they - you, so it is more personal.

Read the brochures and ask your travel agent about the properties. These type pf reviews are subjective.

I read these ones as I know the place and I astonished by some of the comments - so I would be wary of taking as fact other hotel, resorts etc.

by J Wightman

We booked the Malama Apartments with...

"We booked the Malama Apartments with very little prior information on them and were really surprised at the standard of accommodation we got for our money. Being used to seriously no-frills S/C apartments in most Greek resorts this was a breath of fresh air (albeit a more expensive one than your basic room-with-a-hot ring).

The triple cascading outdoor pools were a joy, the private beach with clear waters an absolute treat and the rooms themselves were clean, pleasantly furnished, very spacious and really welcoming. The maid service was also tremendously efficient - though if you fancy a lie-in let reception know because those girls will come marching right into your room if you're in and don't answer the door straight away...

The Malama Apts are not actually situated in Protaras but in a small village just down the road, it's a short bus or taxi ride to the main Protaras centre (neither of which are unreasonably priced but the buses are regular, reliable and extremely good value). If you're looking for wild nightlife on your doorstep then this isn't for you, but there is a respectable number of restaurants and bars/pubs along the main strip a 5 minute walk away so you won't be left twiddling your thumbs at night.

The bars in the complex don't have a great deal of atmosphere but the drinks aren't unreasonably priced, you might just have to sit through the less-than-compelling evening's entertainment. I would strongly recommend NOT eating at the Malama restaurant if you can avoid it when such excellent local food is available nearby - the buffet was possibly one of the worst I've ever had; bland, unappealing, and at times inedible. Maybe we just caught the chef on a bad week.

All in all we loved this as a comfortable and relaxing base to plan our days and nights; it looked great, the pools were fantastic (the indoor cave-like one a particular treat), and the distance from Protaras meant you could enjoy peace and quiet with the choice of more exciting nightlife a short car journey away.

I've given it 8/10 for the simple reason that the food was not up to scratch and the evening entertainment could have been a little more inspiring.

But would we go again? Definitely.

by R Cornthwaite

I paid quite alot of money for this...

"I paid quite alot of money for this holiday for myself and my five year old daughter and to be honest I have had better holidays for less money. The village itself was nice and clean, but it was nothing special. There was only one other Irish family there, the rest of the people were mostly German, French and English (The English were lovely the rest of the guests were very ignorant and rude).

The service at the bars and the restaurant were awful, the food in the restaurant was horrible, and the cocktails didn't seem to have alcohol in them. The entertainment was very childish even my 5 yr old wasn't interested. The private beach was very small, but the water was beautiful.

This resort is in quite a remote area. Protarus is a bus journey away, there is a handful of restaurants nearby and a lovely pub run by English people across the road, we spent a lot of time there.

Cyprus itself was beautiful and the Cypriot people are lovely. We booked a trip to the water park in Ayia Napa with the Tour Operator across the road which was a great day out. The waterpark is great and so are the staff.

We did enjoy our holiday, but that was mainly due to ourselves!

I would return to Cyprus but not to Malama Holiday Village.....4 Stars – I don’t think so!

Just returned from a week’s...

"Just returned from a week’s enjoyable stay.

On arrival I had it in mind to upgrade to a two bedroom but on viewing our one bed, I was pleasantly surprised at how spacious our allocation was so I happily made do.

The facilities were very good. Our kitchen had two rings, cooker, microwave, kettle & plenty of counter & storage space. Wardrobe space was plenty with room to spare. Bathroom was very nice size & modern.

Maid service was every day if you wanted it.

The holiday village was very well laid out. Accommodation cascaded down to the pools which had grassy areas, along with plenty of sun beds & sea view too.

Also, the village has an underground heated pool ( cave like feel ) with a small Jacuzzi, sauna, steam room & shower/changing area .

Reception/dining/bar areas were all of good standard. On our holidays we like to hire a car & pack in as much as possible, so the Malama fortunately has a very good car hire company in the grounds, very flexible as a bonus.

Overall, the best holiday village in the area ( and I did view others while over there), well kept, efficient, warm staff.

Bliss!

by Vukic

I love Cyprus, so when my partner and...

"I love Cyprus, so when my partner and I decided to get married we thought there’s no better place than Cyprus.

We looked we looked through my partners mothers time share catalogue and decided on the Malama.

We could not have picked a better place. We organised everything ourselves with emails flying back and for to the Malama and they were so helpful with everything and kept us up to date on a weekly bases.

We arrived and got a lovely warm welcome, there was about 40 of us all together. There was no mix ups, no confusion, it was all perfect and the staff were excellent with us.

Our wedding planner was wonderful she made sure we had everything we needed when we needed it and the wedding was the most perfect day I could have ever wished for.

There is something for the whole family great kids club, fantastic menu, great view of the sea, lovely little secluded beach.

Apartments our of good size, room service is good, room cleaning service is brilliant.

Just cannot fault this place at all, the place is just fantastic and very highly recommended.

by  Mj Dukes

Does Not Live Up To Its EXPECTATIONS!

"Let me start off by saying that I am a very laid back person who usually reads reviews and think that people are being to hard on a resort. I generally believe the "good time" you have on your vacation is what you make of it. Also I would probably say that I am not a picky person that complains about everything. That being said, lets look at the pros and cons of this resort.

Pros: Resort is beautifully landscaped, A nice private beach which I did'nt find too small is just minutes from the resort. If you like snorkeling, there is lots of cool underwater rock formations and caves. Rooms are spacious and nice.

Cons: Here goes.......All the reviews about how horrible the food is are TRUE! Our first night there, we had a buffet. After that experience, we never ate there for the rest of the week. After wondering a few minutes from the resort, we came upon Tony's Cyprus Tavern. The food is so good there that we ate there everyday, plus there is also live entertainment, and when you get there, you will start to notice how many people from the resort are there who also don't like the food. As for room service.....IT SUCKS! The floors were never cleaned properly, our beds were not made, etc. Here is a real annoying thing. You need to leave deposits for everything. Instead of asking for a security deposit at the beginning of your stay, you are later on in the week always going back for such things: If you need a beach towel 8 pound deposit. If you need a remote control in your room to watch tv...5 pounds, if you need another key to your room...10 pounds. You get the point.

Anyways, to conclude if I had to rate this resort I would give it 2 stars. Any more questions, email me at cobs00@hotmail.com

by cobs00

Nice But Mixed Feelings and Don't Go All Inclusive

"NICE BUT MIXED FEELINGS AND DON’T GO ALL INCLUSIVE

We have just returned from a week at the Malama fron 21st to 28th October 2006. We were on a all inclusive arrangements. We had read the reviews with interest but did not know what to expect as it all seemed to be very good or very bad. Right from the start we were quite impressed with the settings, the gardens, the location. But we were soon to find out that we should not have chosen the all-inclusive arrangement. I chose to split my review into to parts, for and against.

FOR :

We loved the gardens, the flowers. The hotel location is fantastic. We were lucky enough to have a room overlooking the pools and the sea. Best view we have ever had.

Don’t go there though if you want fun and late nights. Go to Agya Napa. The hotel is isolated.

The staff are friendly. The waiters are from all nationalities (a lot of Russians) and try to chat with you mixing all languages which is funny.

We loved the apartments. They are huge, well equipped (we did not use any of the facilities being all inclusive), very clean. Room service is excellent. They change bed linen twice a week.

The children’s playground is fantastic. Even if the games are a little outdated, it is a huge space where my kids had a lot of fun. It is also well lit at dusk and the grass is kept very green which is rare on the island.

Evening fun is good considering it is a 3-star independent hotel . They have a mini disco on every night. Our kids love dit. We liked the Greek dancing show very much. It was very pleasant and beautiful. They also have a magician on one evening, he is brilliant. As for the other evenings, the animation team did their best. They deserve a lot of praise.

We loved the buffets. Especially the midday ones which change everyday and have local and Greek specialities. They are plentiful. The fish is excellent. Salads are brilliant. The evening buffet is nice too with different themes every night. The lack of choice is outweighed by the quality of the dishes. The drinks are HUGE. They certainly do fill your glass ! kids cocktails are 33cl and beer is pint size. The wine with the meals is served at the table in jars. It is ok if you’re not too fussy…The restaurant La Piazza is marvelous. It feels like a real village square. Great atmosphere.

The beach is pretty although small. The sea in October was 24o. It is nice an cosy and just in front of the hotel. Take your drinks there for a unique experience. If you don’t go there early, you will not find a sun bed. They belong to the council and you have to pay for them. But you can lay your Malama towel on the floor, no one bothers you. Careful with sea urchins near the rocks. I had a rather painful experience with them.

What we liked most was the indoor swimming pool, called Cava amorosa. This was tremendous. We just loved it so much, we spend a long time there every day. Look at the pictures, it is wonderful. The water is very clean albeit cool.

The gym is nice although the equipment is slightly outdated. The tennis courts are fully functional. The squash court is very nice, we use dit a lot. There was no body built instructor to annoy you, everything was left unattended and there were very few people using the sports equipment. There is a volley ball court but we did not use it. You can go jogging on the cliffs, brilliant. The sauna, steam room and jacuzzi are ok. You have to pay to use them.

There were plenty of sun beds and very well behaved people. Very few early morning sun beds reservations. Only one German towel with « reserviert » written on it was apposed every morning on the same bed. Pure heaven.

The guests were mostly English (50%), German (30%), French speaking Swiss or Canadians(10%), Russian 10%.. Nearly all of them with kids. Very few teenagers and young adults, very few pensioners. Mostly families with young kids.

There are a lot of cats running about everywhere and a lot of bats too.

AGAINST :

Definitely not a 4-star hotel. I would rate it 3-star.

Do not go all inclusive ! The main problem is that the hotel offers timeshare deals, half-board etc. There were very few guests on an all inclusive deal. We had experienced other hotels in Crete, Fuerteventura etc which were all 4-star hotels. There, all the guests were on a an all-inclusive deal and there was no fuss about what you were entitled to or not. Here, you are given a very limited list of things you can do, facilities you can use, drinks you can have etc. You don’t get a special bracelet if you’re all inclusive. When you ask for an ice-cream or a drink, they make you sign the receipt. Make sure the bill says £0. I got caught on a number of occasion ordering « non home made »ice cream for the kids or a cocktail which was not on the allowed list and signed bills which I had to settle at the end of the week.

The price we paid for the all inclusive arrangement was much too high for the value we got. This is undoubtedly due to the high standard of living in the country.

We did not like the breakfast buffet at all. There was very little choice apart from baked beans, sausages ang egg. It was the same assortment everyday.

The restaurant looks like a canteen inside, terrible taste. Plastic chairs, no decoration. Avoid the kids food , your children will end up overweight. It is all what children should not eat : fat, batter everywhere, very greasy chips, tasteless fish fingers with mashed stuff inside etc. A real shame. There is no cheese at the buffets and fruit consists of apples and bananas. The desserts are tasteless.

The animation team did their best but were obviously pleased when noone would join in. The proposed « activities » were very scarce and lasted 5 minutes.

Even if the hotel and its grounds were spotless, the surroundings were very dirty. There was litter everywhere. The path to the beach was covered with papers, empty cans, tyres etc. The hotel claims it has direct access to the beach but obviouly thinks it is not their duty to make it clean for the guests.

The pools were freezing cold. I only saw a couple of very brave children in them.

They charge you £8 for one beach towel. For us four, we had to change £32 to use the towels. They make sure you pay in Cyprus pounds so you can spend that money at the hotel shop when you return the towels at the end of your stay. One British guest shouted so much they allowed him to pay in Serling for his towels. We were not so lucky…

The mini club was a terrible let down for our kids. It was so badly organized, they preferred to stay with us at all times. We’d read the programme of activities of the children’s club on the hotel web site and my kids were looking forward to « turtle feeding », « visit to the zoo » etc. There were no turtles to be found, the visit to the nearby mini zoo was canceled for no reason at all. You had to pay extra for most of the other activities, again do not think all-inclusive means what it means at other places. It lacked atmosphere The animation staff did their best but to no avail. A terrible let down for a « kids super welcome » hotel.

The day animations are taylor-made for English people and little effort is made to entertain the other guests in their language. Animation wise, don’t trust what is written on their web site, it is out of date.

The Le Repos bar was closed all week except on our last night as it was very windy and stormy and they had closed the outside one.

We rented a car for a couple of days from the British run company on the hotel car park. We did not like the island but this is a personal appreciation. So, overall quite a nice holiday. But I wouldn’t recommend the Malama as an all inclusive resort. The hotel staff do all they can to make it resemble a real 4-star hotel but they still have some way to go yet.

More photos of the hotel on :

www.gsll.net/malama/page1.html

Gyl

Switzerland.

by gyl2

Do not do it!

"Just returned yesterday from a week at the Malama; having been to Cyprus 9 times previously this hotel is by far the worst so called 4 star hotel I have been to. The apartments are basic but clean and the pool and beach are very good, however this is where the good ends. All inclusive is not all inclusive, you are limited to the number of drinks you can have and you only can have the buffet type food. You are given tokens upon arrival and these entitle you to food and drink when handed over, the tokens are not replaced if you run out and our 4 year old did not receive any as they have got "ice cream tokens". The food is simply awful and some of staff are very rude and generally unfriendly. The gym is none existant and is extremely basic at best. I strongly advise you to look elsewhere to enjoy Cyprus as the Malama was just one big let down for us."

by CraigSchofield

Not so good...

"I've not long came back from the Malama (10th September 2006), and I had a wonderful holiday to Cyprus, however I found the Malama disappointing! Don't get me wrong, the apartments and surroundings are beautiful. The rooms are a bit small if you have a family of 4 adults staying in a one bedroom apartment, but there is everything you need in them. The pools are great, fairly small, but nonetheless great to cool down in. The beach however was disappointing. There was rubbish and ciggaretes all over, and it was very small, however the sea was clear (although I never went in myself, it seemed safe and not rockey). Now, the resturante....although we went self catering, some nights we were too tired to go out so decided to stay in the hotel...the food is terrible, there is a buffet every night and no choice at all! Also for the kids there doesn't seem to be any change. It's all burgers, chips, pizza ect. all fatty foods. How do you expect a child to eat that rubbish for 2 weeks?! The waiters are okay, not all that friendly and they seem to rush you, giving you the bill before you've even asked, or finished your meal! The hotel is miles away from a good selection of shops and resturantes (from what I know), and it's about 7 pound in a taxi one way to Protaras strip. That's a lot when we were getting a taxi four times a day, as we had family staying in the Sunrise Beach. Therefore I strongly reccomend you hire a car, but not from the rep as they are more expensive.

Coming to an end, I wouldn't reccomend this hotel for those of you who don't like staying there 24 hours a day! I don't think this hotel should offer an all inclusive or half board basis, unless they up the food quality and quantity.

by billylad49

We loved this complex, the apartment...

"We loved this complex, the apartment was the best self catering apartment I have ever had other than timeshare and the whole village was a delight for our family. We came with a 9 year old and a 12 week old and there was something for everyone.

The apartments were very clean and spacious (I believe we were in their timeshare apartments which are better than some others...) the maid service was excellent and we found the buffet meals excellent on most nights as well.

The entertainment staff were 2nd to none and it wasn't noisy and didn't go on late - we like to relax and sleep relatively early. The water sports on your doorstep cost you a fortune as you wanted to go on everything that they had and then twice!

Protarus was a taxi ride away but we were happy with the peace and this was the price that you paid. The beach was right there and perfect for lilos and watching over Famagusta - the 'Goast Town' every morning as a tradition. Once again loved it and am in the process of trying to buy 2 weeks timeshare there!

by  M McInnes

A lovely relaxing holiday

"We had a lovely relaxing holiday here. The rooms are generous (although the bathroom could have done with re-decoration). I asked for a ground floor apartment and had a lovely terrace with area for the children to play. There is a lovely terrace to eat breakfast/evening meal. The pool bar staff are very attentive and the food served around the pool at lunchtimes is good, with lovely views down onto the beach. The beach seems to be for the hotel's sole use and is a picturesque little cove. In the evening our children were more than adequately entertained by the children's disco and show, the children's cocktails and the popcorn the staff put on the tables. This all takes place at candle lit tables around the pool, where we also sat admiring the view of the sea or the floodlit swimming pool. A very relaxing holiday. The only thing that might put some people off is the location - it's very remote, so some people would benefit from car hire."

by Redfeather

1 2 »

Map for Malama Holiday Village Closest airport: Larnaca International (LCA) 24.5 miles