Costa Victoria Cruise Ship

, Costa Cruises
hotel photo

Great Itenerary Terrible Service by sandyboy48

We traveled from Singapore on 2nd January and check-in was unbelievably quiet, this was because despite the fact that there are two cruise terminals in Singapore, joining instructions simply said "Singapore" and many passengers went to the wrong terminal. One of our suitcases went missing and was only found seven hours later in amongst over 100 cases which had been confiscated. The reason for this was that it had a small Swiss army knife in it, which was confiscated, but I had to argue for some time to even get a receipt for it.

The service in the bars was deplorable, waits of 30 minutes for a drink were not unusual and 15 to 20 minutes was the norm. Some staff were unable to use the computers and one waitress handed the wine bottle and corkscrew to the guest after struggling for 5 minutes without success to uncork the bottle. As the cruise progressed service deteriorated even further, and I believe some staff left the ship.

Food was poor in the main dining room with very small portions and was very repetitive, with pork being on almost every night. One night the so called rump steak was so tough that nobody at our table or the surrounding tables could eat it. Service was very slow and sometimes we missed the show as we had not finished our meal nearly 2.5 hours later. The cheese plate was a joke with the same two slivers of Gouda each night, except the gala night when there was a tiny portion of dried out brie.

As bad as the main dining room was, the self service restaurant was even worse, the food was never hot and at breakfast one morning was stone cold as they had forgotten to switch on the bain marries. Out of all the times we visited here we only managed to get a drink twice. Having said that the pizzas were very good as was the burgers and fries and we lived on these. Staff simply piled the fresh food from the kitchen on top of the remaining food, which meant that the food on the bottom could be there for far longer than it should have been.

Tender service was chaotic, with long waits to get off the ship. The attitude of the officers and supervisors was terrible and we saw staff being berated loudly in front of passengers, a number of times. The waits at reception were prolonged due to the number of people complaining about various aspects of the food and service. I asked for the service charge to be deducted from our bill, and was told that this was not possible. I then asked for a complaints form and was refused. They promised to deliver one to our cabin, but failed to do so. When I went back to stand for another 15 minutes to get one, I was told they had run out. I then put our complaint on ships paper and handed it in. I never received a reply. On our return I found out that the service charge had been taken from the credit card the day we sailed. This is now in dispute with the card company.

There were good points, the ports were great and the shows were surprisingly good, the ones we got to anyway. The cabin was small but well equipped, but that was about it.

This was our first and last time on Costa, we did not have very high expectations, but the ship fell well below what we expected or required. Interestingly while numbers of bar and waiting staff were very low, the casino was packed out with croupiers doing nothing. This was the biggest casino I have ever seen on a ship and generally there were more staff than passengers.

I would advise only going Costa if the price and itinerary suits you, but never ever go on the Costa Victoria. I have complained to Costa but despite it being over a week they have not responded except to acknowledge receipt. We are seriously considering taking them to court to get at least some of our money back.

• Holiday details: Jan 2014
  • Advice: Bring lots of food on board with you.

Disappointment by Pindare

Cruse from Dubaï to Singapore aboard Costa Victoria.

I share most of the critics of different travelers : small cabin, expensive excursions for poor interest (better take a local taxi , it will cost you 75 to 60 % less), ridiculous prices for drinks, eatable food but no more, noisy guests (italian especially), noisy and crowded pool. After 20 days on that ship, we wound up sick : a pneumonic plague sort of, due to bad cleaning of the air conditioning system probably (60% of contamination).

Fortunately the lifts were working and the personnel were kind and pros.

I would not recommend this kind of cruse on such a big and old ship.

• Holiday details: Apr 2012, booked with Bridge international Paris
  • Advice: none

Disapointing by Jacdeck

We have just returned from a cruise on the Costa Victoria to the Greek Islands and were very disappointed We have been on lots of cruises and thought we would give Costa a try what a mistake that was the cabin dark and dismal not enough lights or mirrors and we must have been next to the anchor as every time we docked or set off the noise was terrible The food and choice of food was not all that good. The first meal we had the waiters were very slow and we didn't finish eating till 10-55 far to late so we did move to an early sitting which was better and we also had good waiters

The staff on the information desk couldn't understand us and had to keep fetching someone who could speak better English. There is very little English spoken. Its very noisy around the pool lots of shouting and screaming. People constantly on the stage all talking in different languages except English so we didn't know what was going on. The drinks were a terrible price and every drink had a service charge on you pay your gratuities up front which I don't agree with so even if you get bad service you still pay it A gratuity is something you give as a reward for good service we complained about it as did a lot of other people and we were told it was in the contract and for 7day cruise its nearly £100 So no we will not be going with Costa again and I don't envy anyone who does

Mixed reviews - but overall not recommended! by sjew105

We have just got back from a cruise around the Greek islands. My opinion is very mixed about the whole experience!

On the plus side, the staff were generally very good. Attentive, friendly, helpful. The excursion into Athens in particular was very good and well worth the money. We thought the food was excellent, although the lunch time menu lacked variety. Generally, the cruise was very well organised, although you often felt like a sheep being herded.

Unfortunately, there were quite a few negatives. On arrival, we entered our cabin to find it absolutely stinking of smoke. Given that the cabins are very small, the smell was very oppresive and obviously not what you expect after paying all that money! The hospitality staff tried three times to do what they called a 'deep clean', which was basically emptying a can of aerosol. We had to insist on getting the linen changed, and even then it was dirty. Other than that, no help was offered, and no apology given which was disapointing. As other people have commented, the other guests were extremly loud, refused to queue, and had no respect for personal space. The spa was freezing cold and the treatments ridiculously expensive! Drinks were also expensive, especially when the 10% 'tax' was added on to every order. The most galling thing though was the new 'service charge' which was added at the end of the week. We were not made aware of this charge - an extra £45.50 - and when we tried to complain, no help was given, and the staff we spoke to did not have any authority to do anything. In addition, our complaint regarding our cabin had miraculously 'disappeared'! We found the whole experience extremly frustrating, and don't hold any hope of our complaints being acknowledged. I wouldn't recommend this cruise line.

Costa Confusion, Costa Careless, Costa Rip-Off by Ivan the Terrible

We boarded the Victoria on October 3rd 2009 and immediatly there was some confusion about our booking and about the J2 all inclusive drinks package for which we had paid in advance, the cabin was dirty, the carpet stained, the balcony covered in ash and with no soap in the very very small bathroom. The 'stateroom' was also tiny when compared to other similar priced cruise ships, the minibar was locked and we had difficulty in finding anyone to open it and there was no hot water to be had for some hours

We were given our dinner sitting ( late ) though we had when booking a year ago requested early, I complained but for the first night we had to put up with eating after 9.00pm. When we did get our food it was cold the service was poor and again there was confusion about applying the J2 all inclusice drinks package. This set the trend for the whole cruise, food with one exception cold at every meal, promised shore excursions cancelled and on average only four to five hours in each port. When there was a problem it was never anyones personal responsibilty and they simply pass you from staff member to staff member in the hope that you will become so frustrated you just fade away.

If you like being herded as cattle then cruise with Costa, otherwise aviod this ship and I would presume this cruise line like the plague.

We noted in one port the ship was flying the yellow quarantine flag ( quite fitting )

The night before departure the J2 all inclusive package was terminated and the minibar locked and though there were only ever soft drinks available in the cabin even these were now denied

The last day we were forced out of our cabins by 8.30 in the morning, with nowhere to go we were herded onto the dockside to await a 12.30 pick up for the airport

Cases and hand baggage were deposited in an area allegedly with security, however; when I returned to collect my bags there was of course no sign of Costa staff, no port security and all the luggage accessable to each and every passer by.

Costa's no tipping policy seems a good idea, however there is then no incentive for any staff member to give more than the most servile and grudging attention to their jobs.

In all this cruise was a disaster with poor service, deplorable attitudes and vile food.

We were glad to turn our backs on the Costa Victoria a ship that like its owners promised much but delivered nothing but heartache and empty pockets.

Regards,

Tzar Ivan

moaning brits by brenav

we have just returned from cruise dubai to venice this was a one off cruise which appealed to us we saw several different countries had a great time we found many brits comparing the cruise to a carribean cruise i dont know what they expected but it was obvios to us it was going to be entirely different this was predominantley a arabian cruise with many different cultures many ports not geared up to tourism ok the drinks are expensive but no dearer than encountered on shore we bought a wine and water pakage in england at about half the price free water was available 24 hours a aday including jugs at meal times the crew were fantastic everywhere the food was ok you could have as many courses as you wanted and the buffet chices were plentiful from giant prawns to suckling pig and pasta entertainment was average my only moan really was the arragant itilanians many brits travelled with virgin who arranged travel to get to the port at 9am knowing embarkation was 8pm black mark virgin but please dont blame costa others travelled via aba dabi why?all in all we enjoyed the cruise but i do believe some people expect too much

Dreadful by Nana and CJ

We were hugely looking forward to our cruise. It was dreadful, the Italians on board were loud, rude and aggresive. The evening meal was like being in a race (very very rushed) and hugely noisy in the dining room. The drinks were very expensive, the cabins small. The sunbeds on deck were no more thaan 8 inches apart and heaving with people.The outdoor pool and jacuzzi were so full we couldnt get near them. The indoor spa pool was freezing and it was very noisy down there. The sooty black smoke from the funnel stained my clothing and gave me a sore throat. All the excursions were fully booked and they refused to pout on more buses for the many who couldnt get on them, however, after hearing about the excursions from people who did get on them, I recomend getting a local cab to take you around. We palled up with 4 others and found 6 seater cabs and saw more for much less money!

The above is only the tip of the iceburg of problems encountered!

Virgin administration messed up our holiday hugely,and I am currently awaiting a reply to my third letter to them. Please do yourselves a favour and do not book through Virgin, nd defo not book on Costa cruise!

Costa Victoria Dubai by carolyn.cobley

Ok this is my personnel experience,The UEA is a beatuifull place its so clean and very rich,The costa Victoria is a italian cruise ship so before you go remember this,if you dont think you will like it book another cruise ship like a british one.

I laugh at people who compare ships and people because then are given the choice before booking,the italian are very rude people but they didnt bother me and the cost of this cruise will be anything from £599.oo per person its BRILLIANT vaule for money the food is excellent the cabins are very clean the entertainment is very good i love the concorde plaza the italians know how to enjoy themselfs they dont stop dancing.

I would advised anyone who goes on this ship to book the XL drinks package the travel agent dont tell you about it, so after you book email costa cruises and give them your ref no date of travel and it will cost you £54.00 that will include wines,beer.coke. fanta and water.from 12.30 till 2.30 and again in the evening with your evening meal,you have to do this unless you will pay £3.00 for a can of coke and £5.00 for a beer or wine,Virgin wanted £85.00 for this package a bloody rip off and i told them too.

The excursions o board on very expensive we didnt book any we got off at muscat and walk along the front it was lovely place,and we got of in Aber dubai and caught the local bus which was free to the mall,marina,and emirates palace which was great,just ask anyone where the bus stop is and they are very helpfull.

I wish i had this info before i went so i want to give it to you before you go.

HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A NICE TIME BECAUSE WE DID.

Unfortunately we arrived a day late... by C Peters

Unfortunately we arrived a day late my husband having an accident the day we should have joined the cruise so it would not be fair to review the excursions as we curtailed our usual inclinations in order for my husband to recuperate and did not go on many.

This was our first cruise and we had many reservations hence just doing a fairly cheap option and only for a week. Itinery - Rome, Sicily, Tunis, Gabes, Tripoli, Malta, and back to Rome. For another £200 we could back-to-back and done the Greek isles as well

However we needn't have worried - The cabin (because it was so cheap we had upgraded to a balcony outside) was absolutely fine with a lovely small but excellent shower room. The was kept meticulously clean by our lovely stewardess Lana. Our holiday was made even better by all the wonderful staff - nothing was too much trouble.

Food excellent (including the service) and although there were 2 formal nights this just meant no shorts and only smart T-shirts (although probably 10% of the guests really went to town). I never saw anyone turned away from the restaurant for an improper dress code and the daily newsletter gave all the dining and dress code options.

Despite it being a 6-course meal we just choose which course we liked and on one occasion staff gave my husband 2 main courses which actually was a mistake but it was nice to know you could have this option if you wanted.

My husband a big eater never managed all six courses. You couldn't possibly starve as there was always some buffet or restaurant open. And the Pizzeria if you preferred a more casual environment.

Entertainment fairly good even things like the acrobat - although we're just as happy sitting chatting to the Bar staff in one of the many bars.

The ship was huge and we did have trouble finding things but this may have been due to missing the orientation on the first day.

The practice of having an inboard ID/charge card was a good idea as there was an automatic charge per day and per purchase for gratuities. This did save us worrying about what and who to tip. However I can understand some people not liking the idea and it is easy to push up the onboard spending if you don't watch yourselves although the restaurant areas did have free tea and coffee and usually juices a lot of the time however if you went to a bar you were charged

Downside

70% of the passengers (not crew) are Italian (southern I think). They gave the appearance of being very loud and excitable and not used to waiting in line for anything. I found it a bit uncomfortable at first.

So I'd go with Costa again but not from Rome.

I did object to being charged for another pot of tea when all I asked for was another tea bag and drinks were not that cheap and did mount up so you need to watch your spending if you’re on a tight budget.

Because we did not book an excursion to Rome we were dumped at the airport with 5 hours to kill but once again we might have known this if we hadn't missed day one.

Overall I thought it was good value for money and I will certainly cruise again.

Having sailed on the Victoria twice... by J Nuttall

Having sailed on the Victoria twice once to the med and once to Mexico we found this ship excellent. The cabins although small we had an inside one they were sufficient for the time spent in them. The food could not be faulted, the dining room the staff were attentive and quick with the service, the buffet were second to none especially the midnight ones which although we were still full from dinner we just went for a look but came away with plates of excellent food. The bar staff in the bars were very friendly . Cabin staff were the best ever nothing too much trouble for them as we found with all the staff on board. The spa down below is stress free and never too busy. The captains night was much enjoyable especially the free gift for the ladies nothing special but was a very nice touch. Entertainment was excellent especially the shows the dancers were really professional and the shows brilliant.

Theme nights were funny and everyone dressed for diner one night in sheets for the roman night no one came dressed for dinner it was nice to see everyone getting involved.

Destinations were excellent although we couldn’t dock at the Cayman Islands due to the weather but when we disembarked we were taken round Biscayne bay in a boat to make up for it nice touch

We are trying the Europa in2006 hopefully it will be just as nice

Stayed on Costa Victoria Cruise Ship? Share your insight.

Traveller Ratings

Overall
5 / 10
Good

Do you own Costa Victoria Cruise Ship?