Costa Atlantica Cruise Ship

, Costa Cruises
hotel photo

Costa queue

"After a mixed cruise there was much left to ponder over. 4 hours to embark at Singapore was disorganised chaos. Followed by a frustratingly long disorganised safety drill led to a bun fight for food left out . Food was poor , staff poorly trained and given no direction. Itinerery was great but unfortunately was changed.On a bright note the cabin was roomy and comfortable and the drinks package excellent value for money."

• Holiday details: Jun 2013, booked with Travelbag
  • Advice: Choose an itinerary that suits you
by Qashi

great holiday

"Just got back from 2 weeks Caribbean cruise.From beginning to end everything was spot on.We were met enthusiastically by staff at Miami airport,and the service thereafter remained top class.I loved the fact that it had more balcony cabins than some ships which was great for the days at sea.The cabin and waiter staff were all extremely helpful,and helped make the holiday.The decor of the ship was impressive,as it is a fair size and the public areas always smart and well tended.The daily and evening entertainment was good,and varied for different tastes.Obviously as it is an Italian owned ship,most of the passengers,if not American,were from Europe,and not many English.All the announcements were in 5 languages.Only slight downside was that when we paid our money in full,we we not informed of a manatory service charge of 11 dollars per person per day,which after a fortnight really mounted up and caused some moans.However overall I would recommend it as a good ship and cruise overall"

• Holiday details: Feb 2011, All Inclusive, Booked Independently
  • Advice: beaches were glorious
by DickyV

Much better than we anticipated!

"After reading countless negative reviews after we booked our cruise on Costa Atlantica, as first time cruisers we were very dubious about what to expect on board. I have to say, all our fears were completely unfounded! We did a seven night eastern Caribbean cruise to St Thomas, San Juan and Nassau in December 2009 with our two year old daughter and after reading such bad reviews, we were very pleasantly surprised.

Our cabin was very clean, comfortable and much more spacious than expected with ample storage space. Our steward was very friendly and always willing to accommodate any requests we had. The air conditioning was nice and quiet. We opted for a balcony cabin which I would definitely recommend. The only negative comment to make amount the cabin was the room service (or lack of). When we called to order a bottle of wine to be delivered to the cabin, someone was then sent to our room to take the order and then proceeded to go to the bar to collect the wine. A very lengthy procedure when we could have gone to the bar and ordered a bottle of wine with an ice bucket ourselves. All public areas on the ship were very clean and comfortable.

Given that we were travelling with a small child, we chose to eat most meals in the Botticelli self-service buffet and the food was lovely. There were many different foods available with a different cuisine theme every day and the food was freshly cooked. As well as offering a self service counter there was also a fresh cooked pasta station offering a choice of pasta with two or three different sauce options. If we were peckish outside of the serving times then we made use of the self service mexican and burger bars which were open throughout most of the day. We also ate a couple of meals in the Tiziano restaurant which was most enjoyable. During lunch and dinner courses they offered a six course selection menu. The only thing we found limiting about eating in the restaurant at dinner time was that the seating times were 6pm and 8.45pm, the former being too early for us and the latter too later for our daughter. The self service Botticelli restaurant opened at 7.30pm making it the perfect time. We chose to take advantage of the room service breakfast every day, even though it was only a continental breakfast, there was plenty of choice. I had read many reviews stating that the only complementary drink on offer was water. This was not the case and available to us throughout the day was water, tea, coffee, milk and iced tea.

I would not recommend making much use of the excursions offered by the Costa tours office as most of the ports were easily accessible on foot or via taxi. We spent close to three hours in Nassau sitting in a coach in a traffic jam visiting three sites, when we could have walked it in probably close to an hour! San Juan was lovely, definitely worth walking through the town and up to El Morro fort.

I had also read very negative reviews about the staff being very rude and unfriendly. This also proved not to be the case. The catering staff in the restaurants were lovely and very attentive, particularly towards our daughter who loved all the attention! The stewards and house keeping staff were also happy and friendly.

The ONLY negative comment I have to make about the cruise as a whole was the disembarkation procedure. Everyone was given different colour tags to disembark the ship at different times throughout the morning. We were given tags to exit third to last at 9.30am. There was a long line of passengers waiting to exit the ship and then once in the port terminal we waited in a VERY long line for around 45 minutes to leave the terminal. The whole procedure seemed very disorganised.

Overall, a thoroughly enjoyable cruise for us as a family. I would definitely ignore any negative reviews you find on search engines. We would book a cruise with Costa again.

by jpurday

This was our first cruise. A...

"This was our first cruise. A surprise 40th wedding anniversary for my husband who has always wanted to go on a cruise.

Not my idea of a brilliant choice as I suffer from terrible sea sickness. However, with the help of my doctor prescribing the appropriate patches and the smoothness of the ship, I had a fantastic time.

We were told get up as high as possible and in the middle of the ship if you are not a good traveller and we had the perfect spot on Deck 8 with an excellent cabin together with a roomy balcony.

Laurence turned out to be a treasure in looking after our cabin.

The cleanliness of the ship in every public area was excellent. The Gala Dinners were something to behold and they even produced a cake complete with candle at dinner on our anniversary.

We took the eastern Med route. It was wonderful to go to bed and wake up in another country. We manage to visit the Pyramids on the trip which also included 6 other stops.

We were totally gob smacked when we walked on to the Atlantica, the colourful Venetian glass, the atrium and the lifts stopped everyone in their tracks to just stand open mouthed and stare at it all.

Every evening there were wonderful 7 course meals, the morning and midday buffets offered the most amazing selections. It was just like being in a floating 5*hotel.

We enjoyed it so much we are travelling again on the Atlantica this May, this time around the western side of the Med.

We can't speak highly enough and the staff who did everything in their power to make sure the cruise was a special occasion for every passenger.

If you ever get the chance to take a cruise take the Costa Atlantica you won’t be disappointed.

by  K Mayes

Costa Atlantica And I thought the...

"Costa Atlantica

And I thought the Romantica was big.

Rising above the dock like a majestic iceberg, our first glimpse of the Atlantica, was one of awe. Standing about twenty storeys high, brilliant white paintwork was topped by a yellow smokestack properly another two storeys add to that the shear length of it, about 300 metres, and we are talking big here.

The queue waiting to enter the embarkation hall was long, as we had visions of a long wait to board, but no it was just the American hand luggage check that was causing the hold up, passing that we were called by initials and began boarding once we had booked in, in our case in just 15 minutes.

The perfunctory photograph with the two young ladies dressed as sailors and holding a life belt taken we were shown to our cabin, and welcomed aboard by our steward, the complimentary bottle of wine, fresh fruit bowl, and in this case a bouquet of flowers delivered and ordered beforehand by me for my wife.

Yeah I know, I’m a big softy when it comes to romance, but to be fair she did pay for the cruise, so it was the least I could do. A nice glass of vino, sitting on our balcony, and then off for a tour of the ship.

This ship is dedicated to the Italian film director Fellini, and all the decks named after his films, and his influence is shown through out the ship, various forms of artworks and pictures in the bars and passageways lend the air of luxury, furniture and fittings as become such a 5* vessel. The general layout of it is excellent, giving as it does the feeling of unrefined elegance, and that we the customers are royalty. The theatre set over three levels, a raised hand brings forth a waiter, the casino big enough for every taste, to which point I add, a great place for me on the first night at sea, winning $1000, and no never went back in. My favourite place on board really had to be the Dining Room, set on two levels it gave the impression that you were in an intimate restaurant, the top floor set like a running balcony above the main dining room. (Ask for this when booking) Take your camera on Italian night and Toga night, the march of the Baked Alaska worth a few shots, as is the Roman night.

We did this cruise over Christmas, nine days, staying in a mini-suite on Clowns at a cost of £950 which included early booking discounts, the itinerary was as follows.

Ft Lauderdale, San Juan, St Thomas, Catalina Island, Nassau, Ft Lauderdale.

The following year we completed the round trip with the Victoria, visiting Ft Lauderdale, Key West, Cozumel, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Miami. Of the two ship, I could not even begin to choose, both gave us a holiday that will always be remembered, if for nothing else the wonderful luxury of it all.

God grant me 6 numbers next Saturday.

by HW tenpin

Average rating

7.5 / 10

Good

Do you own Costa Atlantica Cruise Ship?

Stayed on Costa Atlantica Cruise Ship? Share your insight.