Blue Star Apartments

2.5 star

Stayed at Blue Star Apartments?

Share your opinion and write a review

Good

Food: 5.5/10
Value: 7.5/10
Cleanliness: 6.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Blue Star Apartments

Enter your dates:

« 13 4 5 6 »
We have just come back from a... by L Sutherland

We have just come back from a week’s holiday in Puerto Rico. 6 of us stayed in 3 separate rooms at the Blue Star complex. I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised by the accommodation after having read some of the reviews featured.

The staff were all pleasant although didn't make much of an effort especially those at the pool bar; I would recommend going elsewhere for snacks etc. Supermarket at reception is fine for this and we were never stopped "bringing our own" to poolside. Sun beds fill up fast, especially at weekend, seemed to be allot of Spaniards so be prepared to feel incredibly un-tanned!

A busy pool is a good excuse to get yourself down to the beach though, Id recommend Amadores over Puerto Rico, it’s much more relaxed and the sand is great; doesn’t get too hot or stick everywhere. It was one of the cleanest beaches any of us had been to on holiday.

Resort is just across the road from Europa Centre; full of bars, restaurants and some shops selling touristy stuff; really handy after a long day when you can’t be bothered going out properly. Do try Picasso at the top of the hill, fantastic service, and good Italian food. For some better restaurants I would recommend popping down the hill to Puerto Rico Shopping Centre, only about 5 euro in a taxi. This has allot more variety however is alot more touristy, lots of folk trying to get you into their establishments even after they see you walk out of one restaurant! Do try Si Senor for a great Chinese and you can get a pint of San Miguel for 1 euro at the Sun Spot (ask the Locals!).

The rooms were basic and toaster etc had to be hired at extra cost from reception, we went out every night though so not much of a problem for ourselves! The beds were the worst thing about the apartment; really uncomfy compared to what I'm used to!

Balcony was huge, great for a few quiet drinks before you head out. No air-conditioning and didn’t see anywhere we could hire fans so roasting at night! Weather was fantastic for the whole week - bring a high factor sun screen, 50+ if you’re travelling with kids.

The other big turn-off about the accommodation was the lift between floors, Id read in previous reviews that it hadn’t been working, luckily this wasn’t the case while we were there however I was a bit nervous about using it; this isn’t a resort for those afraid of heights! Other small point was that one of the taps was a bit leaky but can't really complain at that. Rooms were clean and cleaner popped in every other day.

All in all we had a great week, would definitely return to Puerto Rico but would rather stay down the bottom, closer to livelier part of resort. Blue Star is definitely a great base for a relaxing holiday and I would recommend it to couples, families and friends alike as the resort offers something for everyone.

I really don’t understand what... by A Beech

I really don’t understand what people find to moan about this apartment complex!!

Really tidy, comfortable rooms...superbly cleaned by the maids....we had maid service in our room 3 times in the first week and 4 yes that’s four times the second.

We had a Kettle already in there not that we used it, a massive balcony overlooking the pool and ocean, renting a fan cost 30 euros for 2 weeks with a 10 euro deposit but it is worth it.

The room could maybe do with a proper air con system as it faces the sun all day and gets like a greenhouse but that’s what you go on holiday for, the heat!!

My only gripe with the Blue Star and its really only moderate is the amount of loungers round the pool, there’s only a small amount and they get snapped up fast...people were going down to the pool and sleeping on them from 5 in the morning just to keep them!!!

Staff in the reception were great, really friendly and helpful with everything from getting a fan to ordering a taxi.

Amadores beach is excellent, lots of sun beds and umbrellas and a good selection of places to eat and drink and its only 3 euros to get down there by taxi which are always readily available.

The Europa centre has a mix of everything you could want from bars and restaurants, the only thing that annoys me are the guys trying to get you to go into their places but they’re everywhere nowadays anyway.

After reading certain reviews I must admit I was slightly wary, especially reading about cockroaches........but we didn’t see one for the whole two weeks we were there, either in the rooms or around the town, so don’t always believe everything you read.

At the end of the day you make your own holiday and I can safely say I would gladly head back here again anytime.

Not again! by T0ttenham

I expected an average 3 star accomodation, what I think I got was more like a 2 star. I had a rusty bath, dirty bedroom floor and completely frosted up freezer compartment in fridge.

The distance to the sea from the hotel was much further than I expected and the place was covered with flies?

There was no air conditioning, which meant that you had to pay extortionate hire fees for a fan that could be purchased cheaper locally.

The television cost 1 euro per hour to watch and I was unable to hire a sunbed for my own balcony. I would have sun bathed by the pool but found the area really smelly and not at all clean enough. In fact the cleaners filled their buckets with the water from the pool and also threw old sweet drinks down the guttering that caused major smells and flies.

I will most definately not be returning there or suggesting it to anyone else. Not al all value for money, I am quite disappointed.

Great cheap apartments by superkittie

Ignore all of the bad reviews these are great apartments!

The accommodation had loads of space, it was spotless, the balcony was huge and looked over the sea and the cleaners are friendly. (The safes in the rooms are a really good size you can fit a lot in them i.e bigger cameras etc)

The first lift you come to it a bit dodgy and we only used this when we had suit cases, there is another lift which is split into two sections which is a lot better you just have to take one flight of stairs to the reception.

It is at the top of the hill but it does tell you that before you go, it's is only a two minute walk if even to the Europa Centre at the top were all the bars and restaurants are.

They don't have any entertainment at all and the pool bar for food and drink opens at 10am and closes early at 6pm this is also when the pool opens and closes.

A taxi down to the other Europa Centre or the beach is about 3.50 Euros from the apartments.

The only slight complaint I have is that you don't even get a kettle; all you get is two cooker rings, plates & cutlery. (The have items available to rent)

You get what you pay for here and that is great value for money.

No complaints here.

Elaine

I booked a stay at the Blue Star... by   VL Evans

I booked a stay at the Blue Star apartments with my boyfriend for a week’s holiday to just chill out, but was mortified when I read the reviews!

Hotel- The views are breathtaking and balconies are huge. We arrived late evening, when we were nicely welcomed by the reception staff. The structure of the hotel (on a hill) meant that the pool was located on floor five and reception and entrance was located on floor 8. The higher the floor, the better the view. We were lucky enough to have a room on floor seven. However the main lift which runs to all floors was only in use between early morning and stopped at 8pm due to some security problems! However there is more than one lift there are about 5! We had to drag our cases down one floor that’s all. The lift was repaired frequently during our stay so was out of use at times, but in contrast to other reviews, I didn’t find this a problem as there were other lifts. Right next to the hotel, there’s also a handy supermarket selling all essentials!

The Pool - The pool was gorgeous, not massive but a decent size. There were plentiful sunbeds around the pool so didn’t have to go down and reserve some early. The pool bar served stunning food that was reasonably priced. One day there was a reptile show by the pool where we had a photo taken with a snake 6ft and yellow!

The resort itself - Amadores beach is well worth a visit, absolutely gorgeous and very clean. It also has the usual bars/souvenir shops surrounding it. The Europa centre was about 5 minutes walk (not even that) from the hotel. There were a few shops, bars, mini-golf, trampolines for kids and an excursion shop. Bars were quite quiet but the one as you go in has some good entertainment. Me and my boyfriend had a photo taken here, and had it put into a key ring which was nice.

To sum it up, would I go again? Definately and I’d stay here! I hope this has helped. You get what you pay for; it was clean, in a good location, what more could you ask for. And by the way...I did not see one cockroach in the hotel or resort all week!

We had stayed at the Blue Star 2... by L Kerr

We had stayed at the Blue Star 2 times previous to this visit. You basically get what you pay for. We only paid £140 for the week (booked separately flights and accommodation).

The rooms are very basic - if you are on a holiday which involves laying on the beach all day then going out drinking at night then you probably won't be spending much time in the apartments anyway.

If you are planning on spending a lot of time in your apartment then I'd recommend booking a room next door at the Babalu (all the rooms there have balconies which overlook the pool area - really nice).

I would recommend Amadores beach over Puerto Rico's. It’s so much cleaner, tons of sun beds and restaurants lining the beach where you can get drinks and snacks all day. Plus it’s only a 5 minute taxi ride from Puerto Rico.

If you are sick of eating chips and burgers and want a proper meal then you can't beat Picassos. It’s behind the Europa Centre at the top of the hill in Puerto Rico. It’s a bit pricey and you need to book a few days in advance (it gets incredibly busy) but its well worth it. The food is amazing.

If you are after a fun night out with quizzes and karaoke then the Europa Centre does it all. Turbo bar has incredibly friendly staff.

If you are after a proper big night out then the Commercial Centre is the place to be. Can't remember the name of many of the pubs - which is the sign of a good night!!

Ignore all of the bad reviews these... by E Lewty

Ignore all of the bad reviews these are great apartments!

The accommodation had loads of space, it was spotless, the balcony was huge and looked over the see and the cleaners are friendly. (The safes in the rooms are a really good size you can fit a lot in them i.e bigger cameras etc)

You get what you pay for here and that is great value for money.

No complaints here.

Elaine

Not bad by ADYFEZ

My wife and I stopped at the Blue Star in March this year. I had some concerns with her being 5 and a half months pregnant, we usually stop in 4 * accomodation and reading some of the reviews. However I was pleasantly surprised.

Fair enough the cable car lift is a bit hit and miss. However I am terrified, and I mean terrified, of heights but I used them daily. Sometimes a bit of a long wait due to number of people (it only holds 5) but it was ok. Alternatively used the lifts by the pool.

We were allocated room on 2nd floor so again due to my wife I asked if we could change to higher floor. Hotel was apparently full and I couldn't be bothered to kick up a fuss. When we got to room again it was ok, clean but in need of a lick of paint and some TLC, like the rest of the hotel.

However we only paid £400 for the two of us and so it was as good as I could expect. The view was not good (overlooking a disused football pitch), but we only used the room as a base and to sleep in so we were not too bothered, although we could still see the sea.

Pool area is ok, could probably do with a few more sunbeds but is clean and food is ok for a snack or breakfast.

We went to Puerto Rico approx 10 years ago (we are both in our early/mid 30's) and enjoy a drink (well I do) and a nice meal. We didn't have a particularly bad meal while we were there and would recommend El/La Molina and Marie Salinas down by the main beach as the best places we ate. The resort has got bigger but has not really changed much, if you want picturesque go elsewhere (Puerto Mogan?), however it is impressive at night when all lit up. Europa centre is ok just like a small version of Commercial Centre down in the valley and pubs and bars are much of a muchness.

Would definitely recommend going to Amadores beach during the day, one of the best I have been to and lots of places to grab some lunch. Just be careful trying to get a cab back up the hill as very busy between 5-6.

Overall I would recommend Blue Star and the Puerto Rico if you are not paying big money, and I would go again. However (and this makes me sound really old) it is a bit like Blackpool with sun (but not as much as Las Americas or Benidorm!). If you don't go expecting intimate harbourside restaurants and the gentle lapping of the sea at your feet while you drink a glass of wine you probably won't go far wrong.

Clean by topchick-7

Stayed there in March 2007. Me and my mate just wanted a cheap week in the sun, and plenty of sun we got, the apartments were very basic but clean, but we didn't expect posh anyway with what we had paid. The pool area is nice (though you would probably be squashed up in high season) and the pool bar food was good and value for money. The only thing missing was a bar in the evening where we could chill with a couple of drinks so had to go out every nightas the tv wasn't very entertaining!! Would recommend these apartments to anyone just dont expect the ritz, and dont worry about the cable car its not great but it saves your legs. They are situated near to the europa centre so not far to walk home and its all on the flat. Would probably stay there again but not in summer as there is no air con.

Can't fault the blue star! by rachaelandkev

We stayed at the Blue Star 25th - 31st March. Although it is basic we didn't have any problems at all. They are clean and fairly well epuipped. We stayed in 711 and we had the most amazing view from our balcony. The towels are the worst thing they just didn't seem to dry us at all but other than that no problems. I loved the lift i thought it added character and it didn't break down while we were there (not that we know of anyway!). The reception and domestic staff are friendly and helpful. The location is ideal only 300 yards from the Europa centre. Amadorres beach is lovely. Its a good half an hour walk but its all downhill and taxi's are only about 3 euros back. We would definately recommend the Blue Star for a cheap and cheerful holiday.

Basic but clean by Dave&SueChester

We stayed at the Blue Star In March 2007 through Excel Holidays. (as in [----]) Our appartment was clean and functional. Generally the place has a bit of a tired feeling about it and the cable car type lift down to the different levels is quite interesting. Didnt find some of the reception staff not overly helpful unless pushed a bit. They seem to like to charge for everything even the T.V. is slot! Our

room whilst it should have had a good view had 3 very large solar heating panels & tanks for the rooms on the level below, which sadly pretty much obscured a large portion of our view, for which sitting on the balcony and enjoying the view with a drink is an important part of our holiday to us, so I asked if we could change rooms about 15 mins after check in, but was told they were full, and to try tomorrow, which I did and was told they would see what they could do for the following day, but they would now want 36 Euros to clean our existing room! but money aside, we had been waiting to fully unpack and to have to wait another day on the off chance was too much, so we just unpacked and stayed in that room. The other one to watch out for at the Blue Star is the check out 'changing/showering facilities.

You do have the choice of keeping your room for an extra - yes 36 Euros (Everything seems to be 36 Euros :-) which may be worthwhile for First Choice customers who leave later, but as we were leaving at 15.45 didnt seem worth paying 36 euros for 3+1/2 hrs so we checked

the shower & changing facilties by the luggage room, (just down the steps from Reception) which looked good, so we opted for that, sadly only to find there is actually no hot water in these showers for some

unknown reason!? So beware if you are covered in sun oil! as cold water isn't the greatest or most pleasant way of removing it !!

The apartments are located quite high up and it is a long way down many steps to the main beach, or approximately a 15 min walk downhill

to the 'new' beach. Neither of these is a bad walk, but there is no way I'd attempt the climb back up! Taxi costs about 3.5 euros and worth every penny! We went down into Puerto Rico most evenings - again walked down and taxi'd back. The steps down are not lit in most places, so even if you did decide to walk back it - not adviseable in the dark. You could go back up around the winding roads, but due to the height up, are very winding back & forth up the mountain side, so you would probably end up walking twice as far!

The 30 min boat trip from Pto. Rico to Puerto Mogan is well worthwhile - it is known as 'Little Venice' and it really is beautiful, very picturesque and has a 'chic' feel about it, with good selection of restaurants and bars around the yacht marina, and the separate beach area which is good as well. Weather was good for the whole week , it was just a bit cloudy in morning and then cleared

up. It was a little chilly at night at this time of year so take a light jacket

Overall was a nice week

Hi, just arrived back from the Blue... by H Ormandy

Hi, just arrived back from the Blue Star. First impressions reception quite nice then came the point of trying to find your apartment.

We got in what is like a cable car lift, pressed the floor we wanted and down it went but did not stop. It reached the next floor and carried on back up to reception.

Eventually arrived at apartment which was very basic - had kettle but no toaster, cooking rings looked a death trap, as water from the sink runs down the back and on to wiring.

These apartments were advertised with bar/restaurant but there was none there.The sign outside saying restaurant disappeared on the third day. Had pool bar open 10 till 5pm happy hour Monday and Friday only 1pm/2pm.

Pool area, clean sun beds have no mattress and are very hard. Chairs round pool area had broken arms and the lift did not work for 4 out of the 7 days we were there and when it did, it sounded like a earthquake.

Our room was next to lift and was it loud, thought it was thunder one night only to realise it was the lift. There are 2 more lifts near pool bar but are a trek if your not on the fifth floor.

Commercial centre in Puerto Rico only 3euro in taxi the shamrock on top floor great for a drink and entertainment and the Sabidan, where you can get a great meal at good prices.

I recommend the 1/2 roast chicken cooked on a spit and cut to order, 4euro 55 and the steaks are a must.

But back to the Blue Star, stayed at many places in Puerto Rico but this I'd give 4/10.

If you want perfume in the Europa centre try Dianas perfumes opposite Mary ds excellent prices.

If you go to Puerto Rico Jan/feb take warm clothing for nights gets really cold once sun goes down.

« 13 4 5 6 »
Stayed at Blue Star Apartments? Share your insight.

Map for Blue Star Apartments Closest airport: Gran Canaria (LPA) 22.6 miles
Blue Star Apartments photos (9 traveller photos)