Carnival Triumph Cruise Ship

, Carnival Cruises
hotel photo

I should have looked closer at the... by RR Durham

I should have looked closer at the ship's size and amenities. Carnival Triumph was a much smaller ship than the Sensation so the ride was much rockier, and my wife was queasy for 3 different days for the first time out of 5 cruises.

The food in their casual buffet venue, South Beach Cafe, was abysmal. The food was always overdone yet lukewarm and they were constantly running out of things. If you didn't get there during the first hour of opening you were out of luck. There was no other venue choices, nor specialty restaurants, which I would have gladly paid for had there been any.

The sauna had a broken bench that you would fall through and was never fixed although it was reported numerous times. My bathroom gets hotter than that sauna ever did and both the sauna and steam room smelled like old gym socks throughout the whole cruise. Nowhere on the ship was there hand sanitizer.

On the morning of debarkation, I ate breakfast in the main dining room, and halfway from Miami to Clearwater, FL I got extremely sick numerous times in the car, and remained sick for two days. I had Eggs Benedict and fortunately, no one else at my table did.

We all bought the "Soda Fountain" flat fee - unlimited soft drink special, but every time we went to a bar, if the bartenders saw the soda card they would serve you last, even if later arriving liquor purchasers came well after you did. If you were not buying gratuity generating alcohol then you were treated like a second class citizen.

Others like us had the same comments about this. TVs in the rooms and lounges did not work proper, even after they were reported.

In all, we feel that Carnival has really slipped in both quality and service and would never cruise with them again. It might possibly sour a first time cruiser from repeating if they used the Triumph their first time.

The very best money ever spent on a... by pepper

The very best money ever spent on a vacation package: a Cruise . Because a package is what you're getting (except for the alcoholic beverages).

It's like floating around in an all inclusive resort and waking up on a different island on some days and just floating around on the ocean on other days. The service is often unsurpassed, compared to your average 5 star hotel.

We have cruised before, on Royal Caribbean, and we found ourselves comparing every so now and then. Royal Caribbean has a different crowd of people, your Holiday Inn type with lots of kids and your Hilton crowd more laid back.

We have two small kids and love spending time with them on vacation and thought that Carnival would fit more into that picture than Royal Caribbean. Error on our part. Carnival does have kids clubs, but our kids were not allowed to be in one club together due to their age difference, my eldest is 7 and my youngest is 5. We were told that that is their policy.

Secondly with most activities they expected you to drop off your kids and move on. We actually wanted to spend time with our kids, do the stuff they wanted to do together.

Their kids club catered more to the parents that preferred their vacation more adult like with good care for their kids; hairy chest contests on the lido deck with a cocktail in one hand and a limbo stick in the other, or with a cocktail in one hand and a the handle of a casino slot in the other. For each their own.

We did have an absolutely great time on board, we played mini golf with the kids, did the giant waterslide. We also visited the game room, which would be rated R for excessive violence for me, but we managed to speed them past the gory machines to the motorbikes and hockey table.

But mind you, you do not spend much time on board. Most of the time you are out exploring some beautiful tropical island, tell you more about that later. The food is really good on board. For Lunch I loved going to the New York Deli and have perfectly crafted sandwiches or just a simple bagel with salmon, we usually skipped the hot Lunch Buffet.

The kids had whatever they liked, more than enough choice there. We preferred the breakfast in the buffet style restaurant. The main restaurant was always too busy and whatever you ordered all came at once, so the kids had cereal with cold scrambled eggs, not good. The problem with the shortage of staff in the Main Restaurants applies to Dinner as well.

It was very obvious that they were understaffed and they seemed very rushed. Drinks are expensive on board, they also had a 15% service charge to the bill. Don't try and smuggle any alcohol on board cause it will get confiscated and returned to you after your trip.

My husband drinks a lot of soft, so he got a soft drink pass, which means you pay one price approx. $40 and you have unlimited soft drinks during your whole trip.

The kids preferred the juice and ice tea, which is complimentary (free). The cocktail were good, the alcohol of excellent quality. The shows at night were also very entertaining.

We visited Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios. Do not buy the excursions on board they are overpriced. I researched each destination and booked my excursions online and everything went great.

We went sailing in Cozumel, swam with the Stingrays in Grand Cayman, and went riding in the mountains on ATV's and then climbed the waterfalls in Ocho Rios.

I would wholeheartedly recommend a cruise to anyone, young and old.

Carnival Cruises are based on lots of... by Tbird722

Carnival Cruises are based on lots of fun for families with children and that’s exactly what you get. If you want something more sedate then Royal Caribbean would be better.

We sailed from Miami on the Triumph and the whole experience of getting on such an enormous ship is a spectacular experience. We visited Cozumel (Mexico), Grand Caymans and Jamaica.

Good points:

We were upgraded (without asking) to a room with a balcony and I would definitely recommend the balcony as a must for anyone as you spend a lot of time on it watching the world go by.

The room and bed (king size) was very comfortable, shower, toilet and air con all good. Food is 24hrs a day and ranges from pizza bars to gourmet dining, all is good.

Staff are friendly and the ship very clean it is like a floating hotel. There is a casino, video games arcade, theatre and so on.

Poor points:

Drinks are expensive and carry a 15% surcharge so beware. Excursions are very expensive and you are a captured audience. (You can go ashore and get a taxi to most venues at half the price).

The main deck has a Reggae band that is very loud but quieter places exist around the ships other decks.

All 3 swimming pools and water slide are 'salt water' this was very disappointing. Jacuzzis were not salt water.

Mexico and GC were great but the Jamaican’s were all over us for our money and very impolite.

Overall this is one of the best holidays that my children, wife and I have had, good quality American service and only very few grumbles.

We booked via Virgin Holidays who I must say didn’t live up to my expectations, all we got was an A4 itinerary. No info and the flights were poor, you can book direct with Carnival and choose your airline.

Stayed on Carnival Triumph Cruise Ship? Share your insight.

Traveller Ratings

Overall
6.5 / 10

Do you own Carnival Triumph Cruise Ship?