Thymis Home Studios

Value: 8.5/10
Cleanliness: 9.5/10
Location: 9.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Thymis Home Studios

A group of friends and I have stayed...

"A group of friends and I have stayed at Thymis Studios for the last 4 years (missing one year in the middle where we stayed at The Bourtzi).

I have been to Greece many many times and lived and worked in Skiathos.

Standards are not that high in Greece and in general (including the very disappointing Bourtzi hotel) so in comparison to most, Thymis is great.

It is central for shops, bars and restaurants. clean, has very good room facilities - it is all it claims to be.

We have had a different room each time and they are all different sizes, they range from one tiny double room (so don't request a double or you'll end up with that one) to a huge spacious twin that could easily fit 4! Rooms at least have air conditioning but you pay about 8 euros a day to use it. You'd be surprised how many hotels and apartments don't have air con in Greece.

The pool is tiny and the balconies non existent but how much time do you spend in your room? Skiathos is an island that is all about the beaches so if you are a pool person it's not the place for you. It can be noisy but so are most accommodations in the Skiathos Town so if you want peace - don't stay in the town!! The owner can be a bit miserable, but if you just take the time to say hello in Greek ("Yiassou!"), she will completely change her attitude towards you!

If you are going to experience Skiathos for the beaches and the fantastic restaurants and are just looking for a homely, clean and comfortable base, then Thymis is perfect. If you want service an amazing room and a lovely large pool, pay 3 times as much and stay at the 4* Skaithos Princess! (Where the staff are still miserable!)

by G Riley

This set of self-catering apartments...

"This set of self-catering apartments has been squashed into a very small part of one of the town’s by-pass roads, which makes it extremely noisy and also fills the room with bike exhaust.

The rooms are tiny, and I mean really tiny! The two single beds take up the majority of the floor space. Leaving about a foot and a half gap all round. The cooking area consists of a cupboard, which reveals the cooking rings, a sink, some glasses and the cutlery.

The bathroom again was extremely compact. You have to be careful not to bash your elbows on the shower door whilst sitting on the loo. The shower (which is like a corner glass telephone box) is not for the claustrophobic, although it was very powerful. There was a pull switch on the wall which when I tried it to establish it’s purpose, simply came away!

There’s a chair in front of a small dressing table and a ‘break-out’ area where, if only it were big enough, you eat your meals, and there’s a fridge too. The balcony is probably the tiniest feature of this Lilliput dwelling. If two of you sit facing each other, you can play a great game of rubbing your knees together!

The wardrobe doubles as somewhere to store the suitcases and also contains the safety deposit box, although you have to get on your hands and knees to operate it. When I asked for the box we were charged 30euros (and that’s not a refundable deposit). The Air Con is 50euros likewise.

The cleaner (who did do a great job), enters the rooms without knocking whenever she likes which can be a bit embarrassing if you’re lying there as nature intended!

There is a small pool that you can cover end to end with just two good strokes, but it has no shallow end and is a constant 6 feet deep, so it’s no use if you’re not a confident swimmer.

The reception area has a weenie bar, but throughout the entire week, we never saw it open.

My last two comments I reserve for the (1) the noise problem, and (2) the owner.

The noise is the result of a relentless stream of mopeds, motor bikes and scooters using by-pass road. It starts about 6.00am and ends about 4.00am the following day. This wasn’t helped by an argument between the owner and one of her cleaners, which was so loud that the police were called and took the cleaner away!

The owner, one of the rudest I’ve come across. I ended up having a row with her over an issue with the keys, which we had kept with us on our last day as instructed by one of the staff because the doors would be locked due to ‘problems’ and we needed to get back in to get our cases.

I don’t think we will be coming back!!

by N Clarke

Although myself and my two friends...

"Although myself and my two friends found the apartments to be well equipped and in a good location for Skiathos town, the hotel owner treated us like children, despite us being in our late 20s to mid 30s. She was very rude to us and I was totally unimpressed with the service I received from her and her staff.

Suffice to say, I would never stay at this hotel again and would never recommend to other visitors to the island. I did not feel like I was on holiday and was treated as if I was at boarding school! I left the resort making a formal complaint about how we treated.

by Tour

Can I just say myself and my husband...

"Can I just say myself and my husband stayed at the Thymes Studio Apartment and it was very noisy.

The balcony was the size of a postage stamp, it was dirty.

The pool was dirty, there is two sun beds round the pool, one of them is half under the stairs, so you cannot sunbathe round the pool.

The kitchen in the studio was in a cupboard, the floor in the living area was uneven flag stones and there was a horrible smell when we walked onto the stairway.

I do hope this comment is posted, I cried myself to sleep a few times it was that bad.

by  A Serventi

We stayed at the Thyms Studios in Oct...

"We stayed at the Thyms Studios in Oct 2006. We found the location fantastic, right in the centre of Skiathos Town.

The studio apartment we had was okay, very clean and the power shower in the bathroom was incredible. We have been going to Greece for 20 years and have never seen one before in any accommodation from 5 star to economy, but the owner was not a very likable person.

We hired a safety deposit box for our weeks stay and I could not believe the price she charged us 30 euros. When I queried the price she got very rude, maybe we are paying for the power showers!

I cant complain too much though because I got the holiday as a last minute deal and got it for a very cheap price.

We are going back to Skiathos in June 2007 but we are not staying at the Thyms.

by gabrielle

On arrival the reception area was...

"On arrival the reception area was very impressive, until we were met by the owner. A lady who was very strict and not at all friendly. The place is run like a 1960's Blackpool guest house.

There is a price list for everything which is documented on the wall.

We found that the owner wanted you out on a morning as early as possible and would not let you leave without leaving your room and reception door key.

We reported a problem with the bell for calling the cleaners, but in the duration of our holiday, it was not attended to.

The rooms are cleaned daily to a high standard but don't bother with the do not disturb sign as the cleaners still come in and want you out on a morning. The balcony is for decoration only and with 1 person sat on it there is no more room.

Overall the place is very clean but not at all friendly. Expect to be either locked in or locked out and for goodness sake do not break anything - prepare to take out a bank loan if you do!!

We have visited Skiathos 7 times and would not stop there again. Its position is convenient although can be loud with passing motorbikes.

On the last day we were asked to leave your cases outside in the street by 7AM. I would recommend you don't do this as they are still sat there at 10.30am we refused this and did not bother with the walk to the coach for a 3 minute transfer to the airport.

We arranged a taxi the day before to collect us at 10.30, took our own cases and checked ourselves back in at the airport for a taxi fare of just 7 Euros.

by D Gallagher

If you are planning a holiday to...

"If you are planning a holiday to Skiathos Town I recommend staying at the Thyms. Not only is it centrally located to all the wonders of Skiathos Town.

These apartments are spacious, clean with air conditioning, power shower & TV, a plus is your room is cleaned everyday & your towels changed daily. There is also a small swimming pool with sun loungers, (not somewhere you would spend the whole day but it was nice to come home from the beach for a dip to cool down).

I have now been to Skiathos Town 9 times & the Thyms is the nicest place I've ever stayed at. Book early to get a good rate, as it can be pricey in the high season.

by  C Floyd