Calimera Hurghada

Good

Food: 7.5/10
Value: 7.5/10
Cleanliness: 8.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Calimera Hurghada

Enter your dates:

1 2 »
fantastic hotel by wigan girls

Just got back from this beautiful hotel, I have been to egypt several times and this is the only hotel I have returned to. The staff are fantastic, very friendly especially the bar lads. Children are well catered for by the animation team. The food was excellent always fresh and plenty of choice. There are five pools one of which is heated and the gardens are very well kept. Our room was immaculately clean- with are cleaner keeping us amused with his creative displays of towel arranging every day. Entertainment great - allsorts of games on the beach during the day, and shows on at the thaetre every night. All in all a very good hotel which we hope to return to again very soon.....Kathleen and Sheila

• Holiday details: Mar 2011, All Inclusive, Booked Independently

hidden extra's by johnandjoy48

We usually go to Sharm El Sheikh all inclusive and have found it excellent in every way.

This time we decided to try Hurghada, again all inclusive and see a diferent part of the country, unfortunately the holiday was marred from the very beginning as we arrived at the hotel where we had booked a double room with a double bed.

When we examined the room there was no balcony and there were two single beds we asked to be moved to a room with a balcony and a double bed.

The reception then told me I would have to pay an extra £120 to have a balcony and the room had only two single beds.

I have checked the web page and can find no mention of any extra cost being incurred for a room with a balcony.

I hope this review will act as a warning to people thinking of going to the Calimera Ocean Beach, watch out for the extras.

• Holiday details: Feb 2009, All Inclusive, booked with Med Hotels
  • Advice: Be prepared to use taxi

This was my first trip to Egypt and I... by PA Braban

This was my first trip to Egypt and I did have some reservations about what to expect. All my reservations were unfounded and I had a wonderful weeks stay at the Calimera and would recommend it to anyone. The aim of our holiday was to just to relax for a week which is just what we did.

We were the only British guests at the hotel the week we stayed - the majority of guests were German or Russian.

Rooms:

The rooms were immaculate, spacious and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom had a lovely corner bath and good shower fittings (i.e. they were not hanging off the wall as they do in some hotels). The decor might be considered slightly old fashioned by British standards but we were there for the sun not the decor

Facilities:

Disco - King Tut disco in basement of main hotel area. We never went to the disco but it was used for kid's disco and Latin dance lesson early on in the evening. The disco was open until 2a.m. if I remember correctly - we never went in.

Activity Team - The activity team co-ordinated competitions and games throughout the day. The team were predominantly German but they did speak English and Russian.

Tennis Courts - 3 courts next to the theatre and Well Being centre.

Theatre - The activity team produce shows most, if not all, nights. We were not aware of this until later in the week.

Well Being Centre - We booked 2 massage sessions which lasted nearly 2 hours each. A session included sauna, coconut scrub, anti-stress/medicated massage, steam room, and Jacuzzi.

Pools - There were 4 pools. One next to the beach, a heated pool next to the main hotel area, a Nile shaped pool that link the 2 just mentioned and a kids pool part way along the Nile pool. Beach towels are provided which you can pick up at the 2 main pools and the beach. At the end of the day when you and your towel in you are given a card which you exchange for a towel the next day.

Food:

The food was excellent and the choice available was also very good. You would have to be an extremely fussy eater not to find something that you liked.

Staff:

The staff at the hotel were fantastic. They could not do enough to help and were extremely polite.

Taxis:

Our holiday rep suggested we go with the hotel taxi and ask to be dropped off at Mac Donald's. The taxi guy did not drop us at Mac Donald's but his uncle's shop at the opposite end of Hurghada that we wanted to be. You can feel harassed shopping in Hurghada but it seemed to be less so at the Mac Donald's end of the town on the opposite side of the main road. We went into Hurghada again with a local who we made friends with at the hotel - this made a huge difference as the locals tended to leave us alone. Word of warning - DO NOT get into a taxi without agreeing a price.

Trips:

Safari Adventure (I think it was called) - Included 1 hours quad biking, Camel riding, Horse riding, Go-Karting, trip into desert to visit a Bedouin tribe, Meal and Show. The show included a belly dancer and snake charmer. The quad biking was brilliant and the main reason that we went. If you go ensure you take something warm to wear for the evening - the dessert gets cold at night.

Costs:

Local Taxi to Hurghada: One way 20-30 Egyptian pounds

Hotel Taxi to Hurghada: One way 50 Egyptian pounds, Return 75 Egyptian pounds

Safari Adventure: £35

Anti-Stress massage session - 1 = £50, 2 = £80. I paid with my credit card and they converted to Egyptian pounds at £1/12EGP and then added 5% card handling. 2 sessions worked out at £88 when I checked my statement at home. It was worth every penny though.

What a gorgeous hotel. The staff... by N Britten

What a gorgeous hotel. The staff couldn’t do enough for you. It was extremely clean and the food selection was out of this world.

The only downside was we were all ill...the Egyptian food is very different to ours, so I thought it was just because we weren’t used to it.

The food was tasty & very well presented. I would go again. Possible 2007!

The garden areas were immaculate.

Just beware of being ripped off by getting a taxi to hotel from airport, should not cost you anymore than £10...we paid £15 but they wanted £25!

A Great Hotel by DaveandAnn

Dave and Ann from Worcester

Date 24 Oct 2006,

We stayed at this hotel from 6Oct til 20Oct 2006.

All the staff were very helpful, and polite. The room was clean, with clean linen every day.

The food was good and varied, it's amazing what can be done with chicken, fish and beef. There was a number of theme nights, unfortunately never a British night, but considering that at one point we were the only English people at the hotel it was understandable.

Most of the other guests were either German or Russian it would have been an advantage to speak either of those laguages as most of the staff were fluent in both but seemed to struggle with English. This didn't spoil our time there and we would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a relaxing break.

I would also recommend the Snorkling trip which can be booked at the hotel, a full day on a boat visiting two snorkling sites and time on an island for those of us not confident in deep water. All this plus a meal and a very entertaining guide, all for £20 well worth the money.

Loved the camel dodi by ridingfootball

Stayed in Calimera Golden beach resort on 4th -18th August 2006. Last year we went to Sharm El Sheik but I was much more impressed with Hurghada. The hotel was out of this world. There were two big swimming pools at each end of the hotel which were connected with a long thin pool which represented the nile.we were going to swim from one end of the pool to the other every day for exercise but it was far too hot. Pool number one was by the main hotel where you ate all your meals and pool number two was down by the beach where you could have snacks nearly all day> The drinks system there I thought was brilliant outside your accomodation and throughout the hotel were drinks dispensers for you to help yourself so there were never any queues it was brilliant. in the mornin we used to sit by the pool and in the afternoon by the beach because it got too hot,but the wind would be pretty strong but very welcome..

There was only me and my son who stayed in this hotel as I am a single parent family but there were plenty of english people there to chat to. The english sort of stayed together after a couple of days so we went on trips and things together, there were 14 of us altogether. We just hired the minibus and all went out together. Dont miss out on the all day boat trip we had dolphins swimming back with us it was brilliant.

The beach right at the back of the hotel had a tide but you couldnt quite time it right whether it was going to be in or out it depended on how windy it was in the day but it was just like getting in the bath at home red hot. I have been to Egypt before but never come across so many crabs the kids were in their element if you are on the beach and you stand very still the crabs start popping up out of the sand. Not a crab lover but you sort of got used to them. Beach very clean and I would prefer it to Sharm beaches because they are very flat.

I have no complaints at all about the hotel, food,etc I just wish more people put reviews on here and they eventually put the hotel in a brochure.You definately dont know what you're missing. On my departure my son and myself even went in to see the manager to say what an excellent time we had had and that we would definately visit them again. Book now you dont know what youre missing.

A great place to stay! by Storm10

Just got back from a fantastic 2 weeks - food was great, hotel was fab, beach was ok (not the best snorkelling) , weather amazing, rooms clean , fantastic animation team and friendly staff, lots for kids to do, the list goes on and on - it was a nearly 4 star hotel in our opinion - the food was plentiful and had a huge selection which kept all of us happy - the beach bar was a briliant idea where you could go for lo key breakfast and lunch - the beach was lovely and clean - the coral not so good here and you did have to wade out a long way to get to deep water but still some amazing fish to see - our best trip was with Mido from the dive school - he took us out with a crew of 4 - we joined with another english family and had a huge boat to ourselves for the whole day and went swimming with dolphins - what an experience - one of the crew came snorkelling with you too and showed us loads of amzing fish and turtles and stingrays etc! We did the trip to Cairo by plane which was a long day but worth it - we also went quad biking in the desert and had a bbq meal with show etc which was good - overall a relaxing but busy 2 weeks! The only badish tings I can think of, were that there weren't too many other english there so the older kids could get bored, apart from that we had a great time - i don't think that we will go back though as it is a very german hotel (everything was in euros) but also because of the beach (I have had better snorkelling) but if you are just going to relax and to have sun and lots of pools and enjoy a few trips out then I would recommend!

The best holiday that me and my... by C Bunn

The best holiday that me and my family have ever had. We all enjoyed every minute. We feel that mainly that was down to the staff, especially Tamer the barmen.

He was very entertaining. We are planning on coming back next year, so keep it up. Thank you for all you do to make everyone's holiday enjoyable.

all is true about this hotel by A TripAdvisor Member

just returned from this hotel. it is a bit out of the way but more than makes up for this with large grounds and excellent service. ladies dont be supprised to find a man in the toilets cleaning, all the cleaners are male. this is a real all inclusive hotel, plenty to eat and drink. the hotel is german based but everyone can speak good english. there is lots to do....scuba, windsurfing, kitesurfing, massage, jeeps, quadbikes and the usual pool activites. yes there is a windfarm oppisite but there is no noise from it. it is breezy but it makes the 35d heat feel good. there is a website.....Calimera but it is in german. there are some pictures of the hotel on it. ENJOY.

Great hotel!! by A TripAdvisor Member

Myself & my boyfriend stayed here for 1 week. Aparently there were only 11 english people staying in the whole hotel, which you could tell. We had a room in the main hotel overlooking the main pool, nice little room. We got clean towels & room cleaned everyday. The hotel itself is very clean, I had no complaints at that. Staff were very friendly & helpful. Went on the desert safari on the quad bikes, brilliant day & would recommend anyone staying to book. We left the hotel at 1pm and got a lift into Hughada centre where we got the minibus, picked a few people up & went to the desert. Got on our quad bikes and had a good hour to 2 hours riding round the desert on them. Got to the bedouin village & had a tour round to see how they live & how they make their money. At the end of the day we watched the sunset between the mountains then had some dinner then set back off (it was pitch black by then!). Bit scary coming back but would definatley do it again.

The food wasn't really up to much but then again I'm too fussy. There was a good selection and was all nicely presented. The local beer was Stella!! Not Artois though, it was a locally produced beer but it was very very nice!

Great Hotel by chocks01

This Hotel was great. Staff were brilliant. Very friendly and spoke English very well.

The meals were really nice with a choice of about 10 different dishes every day. Facilties are very good. it's really is a 4 star hotel!!!

Recommend this hotel to anyone. I will come again some day?

Paul and Jan

Calimera Golden Beach by andymac777

When i booked this hotel over the telephone, via teletext the guy on the end of the phone highly recomended it. So i booked it leaving my wife and kids, two weeks to pack and me two weeks to find out what the hotel was like and also the surrounding area. Though there were no english reports on this hotel there are plenty of dutch, german and russian and all you need is to find a free online translator and way hey bobs your uncle!!!

Hurghada is definatly in the process of being built, and as other reports mention there is nothing either side of this hotel for miles. If you do use a taxi i recomend the guy from the hotel, he maybe a pound or two dearer than ones you stop on the roadside, but one thing for sure is that you wont get hassled, you pay him before you leave and arrange a pick up time and hell be there. If you do get hassled by any shopkeeper tell him and he will have them KILLED!!!!!

say no more. The hotel is kept spotless, there is a constant army of cleaners sweeping or moping. The staff are very friendly, and will bend over backwards to help you. cosidering you are nearly 3,000 miles away from home the food is actually not bad, the best ive had at AI for a long time. You do get a good variety every night and most nights it is themed (i.e. egyptian night, italian night, candlelight etc, etc) even though not all the food is!!

King Tuts disco which is downstairs opposite reception stays open till 2am, the AI finishes at 1am, midnight in all other bars in the hotel.

Yes, it is windy in hurghada but with the free large windbreakers you dont notice a thing, until you get up that is and your blown into the pool - no only joking about that but generally dec, jan and feb are the windiest months.

This hotel does cater a lot for germans, dutch russian etc, but this did not bother us infact germans were quite friendly, well the ones that we met, but there were one or two which i wanted to chuck in the pool!!! At the end of the day every one is on holiday to enjoy themselves.

In the hotel you have a variety of of services and trips, I would highly recommend the dessert safari, 3 hours of fun 1 hour on a quad bike going int the red sea mountains, visiting a bedouin village, drink tea, have a smoke of the sheesha, chill out with every one else, then back on the bikes for an hours drive back to base, 100km an hour across the sand is ab-fab!!!! Try the diving, snorkeling, glass boat, sea fishing, camel rides all available at this hotel, not forgetting all these activities has to be paid for seperate. Another enjoyable place to go is El-Gouna a fifteen minute taxi ride away from the hotel, mainly a tourist resort, and has a golf course( or as the taxi driver explains it "a green golf" !!!

Entertainment is very poor, as someone has already said, and anyway it does get chilly this time of year in the evenings, so maybe it wasnt a bad thing that we missed it. I will warn you, if you order a cocktail expect to wait up to 10 mins for them to make it, they love to show off, even though they cant do it, trying to catch ice they chuck in the air with your glass, when this is done it takes an age for the juice to be done in a blender, but what fun, you do have to pinch yourself sometimes just to prove to youself that you are there.

This hotel is not the best in the world, but it probably is one of the best in Hurghada, i would rate it as 4* i will try to get some more pics uploaded soon, any questions please feel free to mail me

1 2 »

Stayed at Calimera Hurghada? Share your insight.

Calimera Hurghada also called