Bastas Complex

Value: 8.5/10
Location: 9.5/10

1 2 3 »
lovely lakka june 2011 by cottontail

I have just got back from the "oh so lovely" paxos where you totally forget about any worries you may have.Myself and partner stayed at Bastas complex,its very simpel style makes you comftable with out any fuss of a snooty hotel..I have always stayed in self catering in greece and it suits me just fine as all i need the apartment for is a base to lay my head at night..The pool is lush with great veiws and the staff are so lovely and helpful..The rooms are cleaned every day and sheets also changed every day...All the reveiws that state the place is a night mare I WOULD IGNORE unless you are used to boring stuffy snooty hotels,but if you want a simple base close to the harbour and great walks then i would not think twice about booking you will love your holiday as i did and i am booking myself back in for next year...

• Holiday details: Jun 2011, self catering, booked with Olympic Holidays
  • Advice: Dont expect a 5*hotel instead expect friendly clean rustic comftable self catering

Horses for courses, I guess. by tri-man1978

I am aware that people come back to these studios year in year out and if that suits them, great. I did'nt really think it was that special, to be honest.

The island is pretty but I have visited other lovely islands which have better accommodation.

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the place, just a bit basic for me.

It was a good price to come here so I'd say give it whirl and see if it's for you. The owners and staff are very nice.

I recommend Nionios for excellent meals and service.

• Holiday details: May 2011, s/c, booked with Olympic Holidays
  • Advice: hire a car.

You gets what you pays for ! by StacynFran

I have stayed at the Bastas for the last 3years -and my honest advise to wary travellers to Paxos and the Bastas is - read between the lines

Could the Bastas do with a face lift - yes

Is it expensive is Paxos - yes

BUT

Is it an exquisite laid back picturesque island with no loud music bars , fabulous eateries and still a working Island hat has tourism "because" - yes

If you are lucky enough to get a room on the front of the appts -then apart from some residual noise at night== for the price you will have paid - its a bargain

Try the tapas plate at Fanis on he front - 5euros feeds 2 as a nice snack

The wine is by far the cheapest drinking options usually

However the blue and white restaurant at he far curve of the marina does HUGE shorts for ( from memory)about 3.5 euros -

Beer is expensive too

But when like me I have to have " car worker shut down & we dont have kids - all we want is a relaxing , traditional greek holiday--and thats what you get

And as its unbelievebly cheap to get there ( in my opinion)

then the Basta and Paxos is worth it in every sense

Beautiful Paxos by Sue & Nathan

After reading mixed reviews of the Bastas Complex we were apprehensive of what we would find. Bastas is a little old and could do with a bit of a refurb but all in all we found it adequate and clean. I wouldn't worry about the accommodation, the beds and bathroom were clean. Yes there are stairs but we requested a room on upper floor, at front, and was glad we did, we had an ok view and was nice to sit on balcony in the evening. I didn't try the cooking facilities, I was on holiday! The pool is lovely and peaceful and Gabby at the bar is very friendly.

We would agree that Paxos was a little expensive but we had a great time. Lakka is lovely, lots of great tavernas and a few nice shops to wander round. The locals were all really friendly and we loved it.

We hired a boat for the day from Planos down on the front and went round the island stopping at Gaois, Loggos and Mesonghi bay. The only scary bit was the last 10 minutes coming back into Lakka harbour, it was a bit choppy, but was a great day.

We went in July as it was my 40th and we wanted to go somewhere to relax. I would recommend Lakka and Bastas to anyone who is looking for a relaxing holiday with no loud clubs or pubs, nice tavernas with the sea lapping against the harbour. You can do as much or as little as you like. We also met some great people.

We loved it and would certainly go back.

• Holiday details: Jul 2010, Room Only, booked with Olympic Holidays
  • Advice: Take insect repellent, the mosquitos are lethal

fantastic holiday by mags and darron

this was our second time in paxos and it was just as lovely hotel was nice and quiet pool was beautiful and young girl who worked at the pool was lovely and done us a great breakfast in the mornings costas and his family are superb people and made you feel at home rooms were clean and all you needed to wash clean yourselves and sleep a free bus to and from the bastas beach where the food was gorgeous and the new saltwater pool was great everyone on the island were very friendly and the food was also the best we ate in different places for dinner and teatime everyday and finished the nights laughing and joking with the staff i even got a couple of memento glasses from two of them if u want peace and quiet and a romantic walk hand inhand then lakka is the place to go will be going back for years to come

• Holiday details: Jun 2010, self catering, Booked Independently
  • Advice: beautifully natural and untouched

Bastas Lakka by A.Person

The place was clean and yes, it is quite bare but who needs an elaboratly furbished apartment when you're out in the sun all day? There really aren't that many steps, i mean, come on, about 50 steps isn't going to kill you. The pool is lovely and clean with great views, and the rest of Lakka is about a 10 second walk down the road. The beaches are pebbly and there re mosquito's, but which Greek island doesn't have them, and if you have repellent, you're fine. The staff are nice, apart from they don't let you do backdives in the pool *sigh* but i guess this is health and safety so they are good on that. My only warning is be careful when you're wet and you go back to your rooms. The smooth floors can be very slippery when wet and it will be a hard landing if you fell, especially on the stairs. Have fun, though, it's great!

• Holiday details: Aug 2007, Self Catering, Booked Independently
  • Advice: its lovely
  • Good For: Beach, City Breaks

Paxos - lovely, Bastas "hotel" - sadly anything but....... by geomcewan

I have recently returned from a holiday in Paxos where we were unfortunate enough to stay at the Bastas "hotel" ( I use the term very loosely). We stayed in apartment 58, which is some 94 steps (some broken) from the swimming pool. The pool area is in itself very well maintained although the prices are ridiculously high. If you buy a local beer and an Ouzo it costs an incredible 9 Euros. There are 5 star hotels in Edinburgh which are cheaper than this.

There are no toilet facilities at the pool, so if you need to use the toilet, get your hiking boots on.

The rooms are spacious which is the nicest you can say about them. The kitchen windows were siezed/painted closed, leaving a rather stale smell there. There are no kitchen shelves or cupboards (they've been boarded over) so God knows what lurks in there. There is no kettle ( you can hire one!!! ) and the cooker is rustier than the Titanic.

We have 3 bathrooms, one with a hole in the floor and broken soap holder complete with sharp edges, and water which doesn't drain away after a shower. The second bathroom cannot flush away human waste, which is a shame as this is what it was built to do. The third bathroom has the added luxury of overlooking neighbours balconies, so you can watch them as you defecate, and vice versa.

The beds were not the most comfortable I had ever slept in, in fact each morning I was walking like Douglas Bader for a good ten minutes before my spinal cloumn reverted to it's normal shape.

The cleaners try their best, but one cannot help but think of the expression "polishing a turd".

The island and resort are indeed very nice, although the constant view of olive groves as you walk round gives everywhere a similar feel. The tavernas are horrendously expensive, one was charging 14 Euros for an octopus starter. At lunch time most of the tavernas are closed, presumably because no one can afford to eat out twice a day. The constant tinkling of cutlery from the balconies as you leave the hotel every night would seem to confirm this. Don't get me wrong - this is an incredibly pretty island, Logos is a gorgeous little village and harbour, the sea front at Lakka is nice as well - but it isn't jaw droppingly beautiful. It must be the most expensive island in Greece, I just fail to see how it can justify this. It's well worth a visit, but take twice as much money as you would for any other Greek island, and stay well clear of the Bastas!

Lakka Bastas by geomcewan

I have just returned from the idyllic island of Paxos, in the resort of Lakka. Sadly we stayed at the Bastas hotel, which we were assured by our Olympic rep was a 3 star establishment. She also pointed out this was Greek 3 stars, not to be confused with British 3 stars. The only half decent thing about the Bastas hotel is the pool which is a hike over 94 steps from room 58. There are no toilet facilities at the pool so after a beer you have a 188 step round trip to have a pee. This complex may have been 3 star in 1969 but sadly nothing has been done since then to tart the place up a bit. The rooms are a decent size although obviously ex dormitory because each bedroom has a different number inside. The furniture and fittings could have been hauled out of any local charity shop - at any time between 1969 and now. The kitchen has no cupboards, no kettle an antique rusty cooking ring and the windows have been painted closed over the years so you cant even air the place - in short it stinks, which is unfortunate, because the price of eating out here is extortionate. It's enough to drive you to drink which you cannot do at Bastas because the only one working there through the day serves at the pool - fancy a hike anyone? Then again, at 5 euros for an Ouzo (yes 5) its much better to walk down to the store and buy a bottle for 6 euros. Most of the Tavernas chuck out very average fayre for 5 star prices, with the exception of Nionios and the wee Gyros place at the front.

All the restaurants are mostly dead or closed through the day as no one can afford to eat out twice a day. I have been touring the Greek islands for 30 years and cant remember the last time I had accomodation like this although I am certain I had a full head of hair at the time, and a Mr Aldrin was making a giant step........

In short, take a day trip to Paxos or lots and lots of money, stay the hell away from Bastas hotel, or better still go to Symi or Hailki or many of the other islands which are more beautiful than Paxos.

Paxos is a beautiful picturesque island by ForgetMeNot_9

Having spent the past 30 years travelling the Greek islands, Paxos is no doubt one of our favourite islands. We have recently returned from the Bastas Complex and thoroughly enjoyed it. Greece is notorious for having basic accommodation so it was no surprise to us to see the shower without a shower curtain or limited wardrobe space or that towels were only changed on a Thursday.

Upon arrival of the hotel, we were greeted with flowers in our room which had been hand picked by the Olympic rep, Tracey, as we had mentioned in our pre booking that we were celebrating our Pearl Wedding anniversary. Tracey was very friendly, knowledgeable about the island and was on hand at the hotel every morning for any queries.

We had stayed at the hotel 5 years ago, when it was our Silver Wedding anniversary, albeit with a different rep, but there were no flowers provided. We were intially disappointed that we were allocated a room on the side of the building rather than on the front as last time, however, we soon realised the benefit of the location as it was protected from the days hot sun and was therefore much cooler in the evening.

The rooftop pool bar was beautiful with fantastic scenery that literally took your breath away. For sun worshipers this was a sun trap area. There are ample sunbeds with plenty of shaded areas. The pool bar is open from 8.30 am until 8.00 pm and is run by Babbis the son of the hotel owner and his partner, Georgina (who used to be the Olympic rep). Georgina makes the best salads in Paxos for 5 euros and Babbis was a dab hand at making Banana Milkshakes which he served to our sunbeds around the pool. They have Happy Hour from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm and though this is only for cocktails and shorts (two for one) Babbis and Georgina never failed to lead the guests to the bar area during this period.

The 14 restaurants in Lakka are only a stroll away from the hotel, our favourite being The Garden, closely followed by Alexandros.

The island is very hilly with lots of enjoyable walks, if you can stand the heat but the highlight of our holiday was the boat trip (about 30 minutes) to the island of Anti Paxos. For those who can remember, this is where they filmed the 'Bounty Hunters' - who came in search of Paradise. The island boasts white sand and turquoise waters with a scenery of high rise trees and hills. You can also hire boats and sail across yourself.

Paxos is a small, romantic, peaceful and pictureseque island, worlds apart from the other Ionean islands of Corfu, Zante and Kefalonia. If you like clubbing and late nights then this is not the island for you.

looking for somewere quite but plenty to do and picturesque by christinesmith149

We stayed at the bastas apts in 2008 what a lovley place , people are friendly, rooms although basic are very clean and the location is fab only a 5 min walk to the restuarants and the harbour which is one of the most picturesqe we have been to. The weather was nice in May and we have booked to go back this year 2009.

Take a little boat out for yourselves and you will have a great day going all round the island and seeing all the small coves and beaches . If you are just a beach lover then lakka would not be for you because most beaches are very pebbly. If you get yourselves some cheap jellys to wear then getting in and out of the sea is no problem. The swimming pool is nice and kept well. No problem finding a sunbed.

We have been to about 20 or so of the Greek Islands and rate this as one of the best if you want peace and quite and lovley views. Thats why we are returning this year again.

Laid back holiday. by CagsMerseyside

We booked this holiday with Olympic and got it at a bargain price so our expectations weren't high.

The flight out with monarch was great as we got a free upgrade to seats with extra legroom. We had a night flight and after doing some research we knew that we would have to wait at Corfu port for the first ferry to take us across to Paxos. It turned up to be 4 hours which passed fairly quickly, there is a 24 hour bar/cafe there and with it being the early hours I managed some sleep.

The hydrofoil left at 7.15am, can't tell you anymore about the journey because as soon as we sat down we slept the whole way. We woke up pulling into Gaios port at about 8.30 and were soon on the coach and after 15 mins arrived in Lakka.

Check-in was quick and only when we opened the door to our room did we realise we had dropped on, it was at the front of the Bastas with a view of hills and to the right the harbour and sea.

After reading reviews on here, we expected a terrible view so were prepared and considering the Bastas is cheap and 3 star we weren't expecting much, if people want 5 star views/rooms then I suggest they pay 5 star prices.

The room is small with a tiny kitchenette, two rings on top of a oven, sink, and fridge. The bathroom is the usual basic Greek affair, although for the first time in Greece, our shower head hooked up so it could be used like a shower. The balcony was a bonus, nice views, large enough, lined with pretty flowers and an absolute sun trap between 4pm and 7pm when the sun disappeared behind the facing hills. Perfect for a metaxa or two before venturing out to Lakka.

The rooms had bins emptied every day, towels and bedding changed about 3 times a week. They did no cleaning of the rooms when we were staying in them so you're responsible for you're own mess.

The pool is accessed by many stairs and has a small snack bar, being low season the bar was only open on hot days. I liked the pool area but because of the pretty beaches I only spent one day there. Pleny of sunbeds and quiet.

Lakka, wow. Beautiful harbour town, a delight to stroll around whilst choosing a taverna to eat in. You will not get a bad meal in Paxos. The food is slightly more expensive as they import most things from the mainland. There are several beaches within walking distance, yes I said walking, again if you don't like to walk or have any walking difficulties, do not visit Paxos as most hotels have lots of stairs, no lifts and all(bar 2) beaches are very pebbly and the quieter ones have no tavernas and usually accessed by a steep donkey or old goat track. Perfect for finding your own little cove to snorkel and sunbathe.

Do purchase the Bleasedale walking map and book, we wouldn't have found the little delights we did without it. Also there is very little to do on Paxos but stroll, sunbathe, swim, snorkel, sample the lovely food made by friendly local families, relax and take the stunning views this little gem of an Island has to offer.

We did none of the organised Olympic trips, the one they offered to Anti-Paxos was 25 euros each. Instead we got the local bus (4 times a day, does the length of the Island, return to Gaios 8 euros for the 2 of us) and sea taxi from there to Anti-Paxos, this cost 16 euros for the 2 of us and we got to spend longer on the beautiful white sandy beach than the organised trips. Also sea taxis drop you off at a different beach than the big boats so it's much quieter.

Olmypic were fine, the only problem being coming home. As the flight home was early hours of the morning and the last ferry leaving Paxos at 7.15pm we had a few hours in Corfu. I was looking forward to wandering around Corfu town. Unfortunately we were herded onto a coach and taken to a hell hole called Darcia to a Hotel that was a cross between Shameless and Benidorm. Fortunately we found a taverna and had a nice meal and only spent 30mins or so waiting inside the Hotel before we made our escape. It made me appreciate the last 2 weeks on Paxos even more.

Overall, this holiday exceeded our expectations, you get what you pay for. I felt I got more than value for money, Paxos is a lovely Island, Bastas is a basic hotel with a basic price.

Peaceful Paxos! by 3Millbank

Paxos has to be one of the most relaxing and peaceful places I have been to. The island is simply untouched by nightlife and clubs which makes it so calm and child friendly. My wife and I took our daughter to Paxos for a much needed get away from England and we all returned extremely relaxed and refreshed!

We stayed at the Bastas Complex which didn't disappoint us. It is a 1 minute walk away from the small town of Lakka and the service we recieved there was exceptionally good! We were especially happy with the Olympic Representative, Georgina! We have never been on a Package Holiday, therefore we were anxious as to what we should expect! She was extremely helpful and would go out of her way to make your stay at the Bastas enjoyable and comfortable. Georgina was also very friendly, and joined everyone who was staying at the Bastas at the pool some nights for long chats about their stay at Paxos. She was approachable and went above and beyond what I would have expected from a holiday representative.

Kim was also extremely helpful and sorted everyone out at the Nautica Cafe at the port in Corfu, and she stayed very calm and friendly while doing, what I can only imagine to be, a very stressful job!

Finally, I would like to highly recommend going to Taverna Nionios for your evening meal, which can be found in the centre of Lakka's town. The service there was exceptional, and Yannis, the waiter was bubbly and friendly which made us go back there for our evening meal each night, all week! Trust me, they don't disappoint!

We would like to thank the family-run Bastas Complex for our stay at Paxos but would like to especially thank Georgina, who made our holiday all the more enjoyable and relaxing.

1 2 3 »

Stayed at Bastas Complex? Share your insight.

Map for Bastas Complex Closest airport: Ioannis Kapodistrias (CFU) 28.2 miles